New Anatolian Cultures, Tags, Formables, and Improvements for the existing ones.

New Anatolian Cultures, Tags, Formables, and Improvements for the existing ones.

• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

Samitte

Colonel
122 Badges
Feb 2, 2012
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2
This is a great and informative post. I will likely be using this information for our 275 BC CK3 mod and this post will increase the depth of the cultural situation in Anatolia.
Thanks, I planned a small update to fix one of two mistakes and add in more info for the Hellenes in the region, so keep an eye our for that soon.

I am a bit confused on the Cappadocians. Do we have any information on what their language was like or what it was influenced by? We'd like to give them some culturally appropriate title names at some point.
For the purpose of your mod, the Cappadocian elite seems to have used Persian and later Hellenic titles and names. Hellenization only began after the mid 2nd c. BCE, and even then only in the cities and mainly of the elites. And even then a strong Iranian influences was present.

Cappadocians spoke an Anatolian language, probably related to Hittite - but our knowledge on the region is super sparse, Cappadocia, despite having great natural wealth, was always peripheral until Tiberias annexed it. The designation "Cappadocians" refers to both the people living in the regions of Tauric and Pontic Cappadocia and a specific group of people called the Cappadocians (the other group that clearly stands out are the Cataonians, and to a lesser extent the Morimenians.) They descend from the Hittites, and to some extend Hattians, Assyrians, Cimmerians. and Persians (there seems to have been a larger prescense of them compared to other Anatolian satrapies).

Their language probably died out in the 4th century CE at the earliest, but might have continued till the 6th c. CE (depending on how one reads the sources). It probably descended from Hittite, with Assyrian, Persian, and maybe other influences. Cataonian was clearly different from Cappadocian, but by Strabo's time it was no longer spoken in western Cataonia (around Comana Cappadocia), though we have no idea what those deeper in Cataonia spoke.

EDIT: I think the best work on Cappadocian is still L. Franck, 'Sources classiques concernant la Cappadoce' in vol 91 of the Revue Hittite et Asianique, but I have as yet to track that down at any uni nearby.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: