New Achievements have been revealed

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm surprised there isn't even a "Finish X Mission Tree" achievement, there have been such achievements in each of the last 4 patches for Austria, Spain, Mewar, and Great Britain.
That's because the Devs know that no new mission tree is worth finishing :p

Personally, I like the finish X mission tree achievement. They serve to highly one of the new mission trees.

• 5Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Nothing really all that difficult in here, though a few on them I will get like the 8 monuments one, as why would I not get all the monuments I could.

I get wanting to make light of a popstar but that is really cold, her actual real life is in a state of hell with her own autonomy stripped from her. Making jokes about that seems really bizarrely cruel from Paradox. It's not some historical reference, it's a case of ongoing real suffering, whether you sympathize or not it's not appropriate in my opinion
I dont think people even know who she is in the player base so why would the developers themselves know.

• 3Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I dont think people even know who she is in the player base so why would the developers themselves know.
considering what the achievement asks of the player to do, somebody clearly made the connection

Reactions:
I like Britney's hits, at least, almost as much as I like Bach, the Beatles, Black Sabbath, Bauhaus, and Björk.

• 4Haha
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Seriously, this achievement makes me uncomfortable. The fact that it is clearly mocking an actual situation of a living person in what must be an intentionally cruel way is upsetting. I'm not a fan of her music, but this is just wrong. And we are mocking her so that we can enjoy the amazing gameplay experience of sitting in a regency for 35+ years?

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
considering what the achievement asks of the player to do, somebody clearly made the connection
no, not necessarily. i found the song fitting enough for the achievement. and did not make any connection to her situation because i did not know anything of it until these very reactions in this thread. so i could totally see a dev thinking "and i did it again" wanting a achievement for it and thinking of that song.

You know "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".. well i find stupidity to be too harsh a word in that regard. Lets call it ignorance. The phrase alone does fit and a lot of people only knew her big songs from the 90s.

Reactions:
I'm disappointed in the Icon selection which is primarily top cropped google results (Number 4 for Spices here for the Spice Girls Icon) and the Britney Spears achievement is a poor taste reference to a horrible situation and it's not fair to legitimize mocking someone for a "fun" trophy.

1617794045549.png

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Eu4 players: I want to be able to genocide natives and I'm annoyed my colonial nations don't convert people anymore
Also eu4 players: how dare paradox make fun of Britney spears

• 2Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Just been talking to the Dev Team, and we agree that the Britney thing is in bad taste and will be removed.

• 28Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Seriously, this achievement makes me uncomfortable. The fact that it is clearly mocking an actual situation of a living person in what must be an intentionally cruel way is upsetting. I'm not a fan of her music, but this is just wrong. And we are mocking her so that we can enjoy the amazing gameplay experience of sitting in a regency for 35+ years?
It isn't. "Oops I did it again" is a line from one of her songs (as well as its title), before any of her troubles became apparent to the public (2000). Those who were around at that time in the US would have heard it a lot, even with no interest in pop music.

For context, search the phrase "oops I did it again" without any context for Brittany and see the search results even today.

I agree that doing the task in EU 4 feels like the opposite of an achievement.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Just been talking to the Dev Team, and we agree that the Britney thing is in bad taste and will be removed.
I'm not entirely sure what is being removed: just the Britney Spears reference or the entire achievement. In any case, I'm sure nobody would mind Enrique de Trastámara featuring there instead :) ("Desperate times require desperate measure"? Although Enrique himself is, alas, just a couple of years too old to qualify for a regency.) Johan even mentioned him in a reply to the dev diary on this feature.

Reactions:
"Oops I did it again" is a line from one of her songs (as well as its title), before any of her troubles became apparent to the public (2000). Those who were around at that time in the US would have heard it a lot, even with no interest in pop music.
As someone who was unable to avoid hearing said song (and hearing it and hearing it and hearing it), I do not recall it having any obvious connection to regency, whereas the requirement for the achievement seems a pretty clear reference to her guardianship issues.

Reactions:
It isn't. "Oops I did it again" is a line from one of her songs (as well as its title), before any of her troubles became apparent to the public (2000). Those who were around at that time in the US would have heard it a lot, even with no interest in pop music.

For context, search the phrase "oops I did it again" without any context for Brittany and see the search results even today.

Yes, I know that's her song and I remember when it came out. It has a weak connection to the achievement, but the extensions of her conservatorship seem like a much more obvious connection to the concept of extending a regency long into adulthood and this is the problem.

Reactions: