• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Timaeus

General
32 Badges
Jan 4, 2018
  • BATTLETECH - Initiate of the Order
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Stellaris
Support Logs
(Note that these are the default locations. If for example your steam directory is not installed under "C:\program Files (x86)\" please look for it elsewhere.)

PC

output_log.txt

For v1.7 and beyond try here:
  • C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH

For v1.6.2 and older try here:
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\output_log.txt
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Paradox Interactive\games\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\output_log.txt
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\output_log.txt

DXDIAG.txt
DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.​

MAC

Player.log
~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log​

To find that file, in Finder do cmd-shift-G to bring up the GOTO box. In there paste ~/Library/ . You will see a /Logs/ folder, and inside that /Unity/ folder. Please attach that file player.log.
System Info (MAC)
In Steam please click on Steam-Help-System Info, and paste everything there into a text file and attach that.​

Linux

Player.log
~/.config/unity3d/Harebrained Schemes/BATTLETECH/Player.log​

Where to find Save Game Locations:

Steam

WIN:
'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\USER_ID\ 637090\remote\C#\SGS#'
MAC:
‘~/Library/Application Support/Steam/userdata/"ACCOUNT_ID"/637090/remote/C#/SGS#’
Linux:
~/.local/share/Steam/userdata/USER_ID/637090/remote/C#/SGS#

GOG

WIN:
‘C:\Users\USER_ID\AppData\Local\GOG.com\Galaxy\Applications\50593543263669699\Storage\Shared\Files\C#\SGS#’
MAC:
‘~/Library/Application Support/GOG.com/Galaxy/Applications/50593543263669699/Storage/Shared/Files/C#/SGS#’
LINUX:
‘~/.config/unity3d/Harebrained Schemes/BATTLETECH/C#/SGS#’

Everything Else

WIN:
'C:\Users\USER_ID\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BattleTech\C#\SGS#'
MAC:
‘~/Library/Application Support/Harebrained Schemes/BattleTech/C#/SGS#'

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Location information for anything that is missing (eg. linux saves) will be added when I have it available (or some other person with the power can add it to the opening post.)

Oh and thanks to AndrewT, and the HBS staff that have provided this info; I just compiled it into one spot.

While my Mac was retired long ago and I don't have anything to test this on, current versions of MacOS are based on Unix as is Linux... and there are a few minor oddities I noticed about those paths:
  • The tilde (~) at the start of a path indicates the User's home directory... which is almost certainly the same as the /Users/"USER_ID" bit you have. You should likely be consistent and replace one or the other (perhaps after confirming with a Mac user). Probably better to always use the tilde, since then they don't have to know which user they are, even if the system is set up for multiple users.
  • As an aside, the tilde on Linux has the same meaning... but the default location of the home directory looks something like /home/username.
  • The Mac uses the slash (/) as a path separator. The use of a backslash instead (\) is incorrect and will not work if you were to type it in (though it isn't really a problem when just reading it off).

Is there any chance that the bug report form can be updated with these paths? Right now it seems to only have the Linux path for one of the files.

@AndrewT do you know who is able to update the bug report form to include all the paths listed above? Right now, the form only has the path to the Linux output log location.

The output_log.txt has moved with 1.7

Jamie Wolf of the save editor mod found it's now located at:

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH

I noticed the log was missing from it's old spot and his message was the first I saw about the new location. I have no idea if other OS are affected.

The output_log.txt has moved with 1.7

Jamie Wolf of the save editor mod found it's now located at:

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH

I noticed the log was missing from it's old spot and his message was the first I saw about the new location. I have no idea if other OS are affected.
I see this in my test Windows machine too. Will check on other OSs when I can.

It's worth noting that the Windows Store / Game Pass save games are found at the directory:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\ParadoxInteractive.Battletech-MainGame_SOMEALPHANUMERICCHARACTERS, then \SystemAppData\wgs\ followed by the directory \SOMEALPHANUMERICCHARACTERS followed by save directories of \SOMEALPHANUMERICCHARACTERS

While these directories certainly hold the save games (largish files without extensions) which I could import out, I nevertheless had trouble importing games back into the Windows Store / Game Pass version (the thread of which can be found here if the mods would like to pick this up).