• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

zsImmortal

Major
43 Badges
Jun 15, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
Hello everyone, I actually started Paradox games with Rome (roughly a year ago) and tried to get back into it the other day. So I took my favorite kingdom, Epirus, and gave it a few runs. I distinctly remember winning the Pyrrhic war before but I simply can't anymore. I can win the battles but Rome will never peace out and I don't understand why. I had 22 WS last time and they wouldn't even white peace, what gives? Can anyone help me win the Pyrrhic war?

My general strat has been to pick up the 20% discipline decision, 10% discipline omen, ferry the army to Cosentia (or whatever the other Magna Graecia province is called), build up 2 merc archers from Syracuse and 2 horse archers from Epirus (because they're good against heavy infantry) and wait for Rome to attack. I siege other provinces than Magna Graecia since they tend to kill my troops by assaulting.

Does Rome have allies in the war? Maybe they think they can win down the road and that's why they refuse. One of the great things about CKII and EUIV is the mouseover info regarding war diplomacy to bad it didn't arrive sooner.

Reactions:
Does Rome have allies in the war? Maybe they think they can win down the road and that's why they refuse. One of the great things about CKII and EUIV is the mouseover info regarding war diplomacy to bad it didn't arrive sooner.

Yes, Massilia, but I've never seen them do anything. I'm pretty sure they'd win over time because they end up fielding some 40 units whereas my 20+ start do become depleted at one point, even if he's 2x the casualties. Maybe I'm just doing this wrong?

Or they know they will win over time and that's why they are not doing the peace deal.

Or they know they will win over time and that's why they are not doing the peace deal.

So there's no way to win the Pyrrhic war as Epirus? Or do I have to build way more mercs? I was already losing 1.5 gold per month.

And while you might be right (that Rome was in a much better military position than I), Magna Graecia had white peaced some time before I hit 22 warscore. I'm just very confused as to how it works besides stack wiping and full sieging. They wouldn't even white peace after years of war where they lost every single battle and I was occupying Lucania.

I don't know the full dynamic of what makes the AI select or not select peace but I would guess they think they could win down the road.

I don't know the full dynamic of what makes the AI select or not select peace but I would guess they think they could win down the road.

Finally ended up winning by recruiting way more troops and occupying much more territory, but it's very hard to figure out what makes an AI willing to peace out or not.

Reactions:
Peace deal AI in Rome is very stubborn. If it's (much) bigger than you, it will make no concession until it's on its knees. In my experience, only WS and army size actually matter. You could probably use peace deal stab hits; if you really only want white peace, you could do it from 40% WS if memore serves right.

Yeah you have to go for broke when your fighting the bigger powers. Whether they attacked you, or you attacked them expect them not to peace out until very decisively defeated and a fair chunk occupied. And if you have gone and done that well take as much as you can from. They will be back for more soon enough either way.