Need help with joystick configuration

• Crusader Kings II Expansion Subscription

Subscribe to the CK II Expansion and enjoy unlimited access to 13 major expansions and more!

• Paradox Midsummer Sale has arrived! Up to 75% off!

Enjoy some sun and song this Midsummer, but when the sun goes down, the fun doesn't have to stop! Paradox has a festive sale on plenty of games to keep your summer nights going!

June 18th - June 30th
  • Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

unmerged(11027)

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2002
Visit site
First of all I got a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro with newest Logitech Gaming Software Installed

Anyways, so I bought the game and was quite dissappointed with the missing roll axis, and that I couldn't change the joystick configuration in-game. I needed to change this if I wanted to play the game, because I simply refuse playing a Space Sim without good controls.

Not being able to implement the missing axis wouldn't normally be a problem, since you could just assign the 2 roll keys to the given axis. The problem is that I always use my X-axis(not twist) to roll not to yaw. So I've tried with reassigning the twist axis to X axis, X axis to twist axis and assign the A and D keys to the X axis... didn't work. Got neither roll or yaw.
I've tried just about any configuration and changing the axis in Twist and X-axis , along with assigning the keys.

Does anyone know of another program that I could use, some .cfg file where I can alter the axis, or perhaps a configuration that worked for you?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 14, 2003
Jackcolt said:
First of all I got a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro with newest Logitech Gaming Software Installed

Anyways, so I bought the game and was quite dissappointed with the missing roll axis, and that I couldn't change the joystick configuration in-game. I needed to change this if I wanted to play the game, because I simply refuse playing a Space Sim without good controls.

Not being able to implement the missing axis wouldn't normally be a problem, since you could just assign the 2 roll keys to the given axis. The problem is that I always use my X-axis(not twist) to roll not to yaw. So I've tried with reassigning the twist axis to X axis, X axis to twist axis and assign the A and D keys to the X axis... didn't work. Got neither roll or yaw.
I've tried just about any configuration and changing the axis in Twist and X-axis , along with assigning the keys.

Does anyone know of another program that I could use, some .cfg file where I can alter the axis, or perhaps a configuration that worked for you?

Thanks in advance.

I can assigned the functions of my Strategic Commander with the predefined keys in Tarr. Therefore theres no need to change the mapping of keys within the game. You just map those keys to the joystick device parts and that should be enough.

Since I believe your model of joystick has programmable buttons then it should in theory be able to take keyboard assignments, i.e. learn the ingame controls.

Look here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=323502

If you havent been able to do this with your logitech then.....

------

I take it your joystick doesnt use a gameport but is usb - yes? If its analog (gameport) then you may be able to change stuff through windows. Are you using XP?
If so go to: CONTROL PANEL -> GAME CONTROLLERS

Try to add your model here and see if you get any options you can change. I cant do this as my device is USB and isnt picked up. So youll have to try yourself.

---------
Thirdly, I havent tried this myself but perhaps this may help you:

http://www.tucows.com/preview/292788. Looks like a good bet and is freeware.

unmerged(11027)

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

The joystick is USB and I can change configure my buttons to do different things.

The problem is, I want to make the X-axis roll(by setting left axis til A and right axis to D. This works, if it's the only thing I do). But I want the Twist axis to do what the X-axis does on the default, while the X-axis rolls.

Mar 14, 2003
I think Im with ya. Sounds like you want to spin the craft while you loop. Yes?

Can you not combine keystrokes in your stick s/w? Or record the actual action of both keys pressed at the same time to emulate the keys being pressed?

Last edited:

unmerged(11027)

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for replying.

No not exactly.

--------------------------------

I want :

Y axis to pitch
Twist Axis to Yaw
X Axis to roll.

Default for the game is:

Y axis is pitch
Twist isn't there
X Axis is Yaw

No matter how I map within the Logitech Gaming Software

No controls on twist and X axis at all
Roll and yaw on the same axis
Yaw on one axis
Roll on one axis

Any ideas?

unmerged(11027)

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2002
Visit site
2Coats said:
So you dont actually want to change the keymapping of yaw and pitch then, you want to change the way the game implements yaw and pitch?

I want twist to do what the X-axis does on default and I want X-axis to Roll. I've switched axis in Space Force Rogue Universe and it works. But when I try to implement the A and D controls, it messes the controls up. Doing this, shouldn't implement changes any game settings.

Mar 14, 2003
What you want to do is move the YAW to the JS-twist and invent the ROLL and map that to the JS-xaxis. I dont believe you can invent a new action.

If there is a key setting for doing a ROLL then you wiil be able to map that to the X-Axis by assigning the keyboard value to that joystick setting. IIRC there just isnt a ROLL command but you will have to check that out yourself in the config menu as I dont have the game installed anymore.

unmerged(11027)

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2002
Visit site
There are key settings for roll left and right, which both can be mapped to an axis using the logitech gaming software tool.

I can also switch axis using the logitech gaming software, such as saying that the twist axis, should do what the x-axis does in the game. Problem happens when I try to map an axis to the roll left and right commands, while trying to switch axis between x-axis and twist.