• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TheVenge

Corporal
25 Badges
Sep 10, 2012
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • BATTLETECH
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Europa Universalis IV
I'm not a noob modder for games in the strictest sense, but I've done it so infrequently you could call me a novice. I'm hoping you kind folks will help.

Modding How-To
Tried downloading and going through the Official Age of Wonders 4 Modding Guide, but the instructions seem to be written for an earlier version of the modding tools. For example, I get lost on page 14 of the guide, "Editing Existing Packages" on step 4 when it says to go to "File > Open > Units > Units_Culture > Barbarian - Units" -- this doesn't come up from File/Open in ResourceEd (as of June 2). The guide doesn't actually tell me what I am looking to open when it comes to existing files, at least not in this section. I'm lost.

I even wandered around, trying to open the game's resource files, but everything is grayed out/uneditable when I try to modify any values. I understand the tool not letting me save changes to the game files themselves, but I can't seem to make changes to "save as" elsewhere. Again, I'm lost.

Is there a better resource I can reference? I tried getting YouTube help, but every hit I have tells me how to apply a mod, not how to make one. :/

Where to find/how to mod this one thing I want to do...
With the "how-to" above in mind, what I really want to do here is simple: I want to play with the minimum distance the game allows factions to plant outposts. I believe the current number is 2 -- I want to change that. Assuming that's even possible to mod, then long story short, my question is:

I assume it's ResourceEd that I could do that from? If so, can someone give me actual step by step help on where to go, what to open, etc? So long as the rest of the Official Modding Guide isn't obsolete, I can use it to save/publish the mod.

Thank you in advance!!!

1. The tutorial expects that you know where to locate the game files and the resource editor will remember the last location you opened a file from.
1a. The Resource Editor does tell you about modding game files. You have to right click and "create mod" on a resource. Saving it will then save it to the .acp.

2. There's a Resource Browser, learn how to use it, learn how to see what package a file depends on and look through them :).

• 1Like
Reactions: