Need help improve my BT play experience

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ragnakore

Private
Oct 29, 2020
When I click on the REFIT button, the game takes 30+ seconds to go to the refit screen.
And therein, these buttons (attached) take a lengthy amount of time. The Undo button (orange) takes upward of 60seconds.
The experience is very frustrating, I always ALT-TAB to youtube to watch a few minutes before going back.
Heck even ALT-TAB is difficult to perform.

I am playing on an i7 7700HQ, 16GB ram, SSD.
I was told that this game consumes alot of memory; yet MSI Afterburner reports my machine is under 11GB while playing.
Is this really the way the game was coded? Or is there something I need to tweak my settings?

Attachments

• image_2020-11-29_054016.png
    image_2020-11-29_054016.png
    82,9 KB · Views: 0
Does this also happen if you're ONLY running the game? I'm curious as to what else you might be trying to run in the background which might be slowing things down.

What graphics card are you using? Processor and RAM are at recommended. You shouldn't be seeing wait times anywhere close to a minute with recommended hardware. If you have things running in the background that could also be causing the problem.

What graphics card are you using? Processor and RAM are at recommended. You shouldn't be seeing wait times anywhere close to a minute with recommended hardware. If you have things running in the background that could also be causing the problem.

Even on my "so far under recommended it's hilarious" rig, it didn't take me that long to load anything. Not even missions.

Hardware Laptop
i7 7700hq
16GB memory
250 GB SSD (the 2.5" type so not a very fast SSD)
1050Ti
CPU and GPU does not go above 85c (no thermal throttling). I have MSI Afterburner overlay to monitor temperature while playing.
I also had the whole GAMES folder (where all games are installed including Steam) added to Windows' Antivirus exclusion list (to prevent it from repeated scanning while playing).

I doubt it is GPU problem. Whenever I click on those buttons, there is hardly anything to display, ie a blank screen.
But everything freezes up: ALT-TAB, Steam overlay, Afterburner overlay all not updating.
And during regular play, I am getting at the least 50 FPS (as reported by MSI Afterburner and Steam Overlay)
So is this SSD problem then?

Honestly, the wait is horrendous, so much so I oftentimes had to close my eyes and take a 1~2 minute nap in between clicking those buttons.
I am running vanilla BT+all DLCs. Mods installed are BTRandomMechComponentUpgrader, CommanderPortraitLoader, and some game tweaks to skip the MMM mission, intro video and such. When playing, I only had Opera (browser), Steam, and BT running. I also have Windows's Performance Option set to "Program" And even if I close all non-essential apps, the performance is still the same.

I did once tried RogueTech and that was far more horrendous. I had to wait 10~15 minutes between clicks and after an hour of playing it, I uninstalled everything and re-downloaded BT clean-install. Because of this I could not enjoy the other "Big" mods (extend the life of this game)...

Last edited:
The amount of items in your inventory (of different items you have, not the quantity) makes a big difference. If you have a lot of them then you can get a fair big boost of loading times by keeping your inventory at a minimum.

All SSDs are not equally fast. What brand and model is it?

Mods installed are BTRandomMechComponentUpgrader, CommanderPortraitLoader, and some game tweaks to skip the MMM mission, intro video and such.
Uninstall all mods and see if performance increases.

The amount of items in your inventory (of different items you have, not the quantity) makes a big difference. If you have a lot of them then you can get a fair big boost of loading times by keeping your inventory at a minimum.
This is good advice. Sell off all those heat sinks, medium lasers, and ammo bins you're never going to use anyway.

All SSDs are not equally fast. What brand and model is it?
SSDs quality doesn't matter. I upgraded time ago from a 250MB/s SATA2 SSD to a 2.5GB/s m.2 SSD. Loading times and inventory/refit screen times didn't improve at all (I tested it). So pretty sure is CPU bound.

This is good advice. Sell off all those heat sinks, medium lasers, and ammo bins you're never going to use anyway.
The difference can be really huge. From a bloated inventory to selling everything but the essential the refit screen loading time got reduced to less than 25% of the previous time. Currently what I do most of the time (unless I'm playing an actual Career) is to keep the essential and then when I want something I edit the save to add it. BTW, is there a simple way to make everything non-salvageable, to avoid having to sell things after the missions?

How full is your SSD? If is 70% full that will slow you down. Clear old payroll transactions out as they are not essential and just take up space on your SSD. This was recommended by HBS. This might help! Remember windows takes up 22GB, Battletech without mods takes up 30GB, associated computer software takes up about 30GB, space used 82GB out of 250 GB, leaving free about 170GB. Do check TASK MASTER to see what processes are running and make sure Cortana is disabled, it will suck down processing power! Your Laptop specs should run the game no problem.

I doubt this is CPU based. I have MSI Afterburner overlay and it is reporting less than 50% CPU load.
GPU runs 99% though, but that is related to FPS. And during loading, there is no FPS to talk about at all it should not be the case.

This leads me to either SSD and memory.
If this is memory intensive, it will require alot of SSD/HDD activity.
Thus having a very very fast SSD would help. OR get more memory.

So I started cleaning inventory, selling off all unused gears and it helped...
SO! 100 Heatsinks are stored as Heatsink + Heatsink + ... + Heatsink instead of 100 x Heatsink?

PS. When I said "it helped", I meant it help by a few seconds... so, it was still an annoyance.
I dare not test without mods. I had this game 2years ago and came to re-play it due to mods.
Without mods, I wont be playing it any more.... I plan to install 3062 or roguetech next.

Last edited:
I've tested it in a 700GB free m.2 SSD (mixed SO and apps) and compared to a >90% full 150GB SATA2 (only for games). It made zero difference for entering the refit screen (which is what annoys me the most), an very very small for loading a mission. Also upgraded from 16GB to 32GB at the same time (I didn't expect anything from this for BT).

And remember the game is single thread.

How much stuff do you have in your storage inventory mech parts, weapons, equipment etc. I always wondered if you have too much it would take a long time to load that stuff in the mech lab. I try to get rid of (sell) junk I'll never use. Who needs 200 heat sinks.

I dont need nor hoard heatsinks, jumpjets etc...

I sell items (early game) when i dont have the c-bills. But once I have enough cbills from missions, there is absolutely no need to keep selling and seeing how uneasy to use the vendor interface, i'd rather NOT sell more than necessary.

Did having 100+ heatsinks or just 10 make any difference?
I realized I had more than 5M cbills now... If 100+heatsinks caused a slight performance lag, those millions CBILLS is the culprit!

Last edited: