Naval XP is too hard to acquire..

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

him_15

Field Marshal
19 Badges
Sep 3, 2005
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • 500k Club
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
Especially in compare to Land and Air XP. Ship designer, doctrine and spirit all require XP to research. Navy training is the most efficient way to gain but only visible to country with large amount of oil. While sea combat rarely happen even in war time and convoy hunting gives very little XP.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Huh? Naval training gives XP much faster than other training.

Sure, it costs some oil, but while you're at peace you only need a little to train some air-wings, then the bulk of it can go to naval excercises.

Reactions:
Unfortunately, the big problem here isn't that training doesn't give it, but that combat doesn't

Without playing cheesy exploits for fuel, you can't really get any training done. And when you reach the moments where you have saved that fuel for, then they end up useless because you couldn't upgrade them

Really, what you want here is to increase the amount of XP that combat gives. Especially relative to training, making them somewhat equal

• 1Like
Reactions:
Unfortunately, the big problem here isn't that training doesn't give it, but that combat doesn't

Without playing cheesy exploits for fuel, you can't really get any training done. And when you reach the moments where you have saved that fuel for, then they end up useless because you couldn't upgrade them

Really, what you want here is to increase the amount of XP that combat gives. Especially relative to training, making them somewhat equal
I agree. Missions like Patrol and Minelaying/Minesweeping should give the player a constant flux of navy exp. out of training.

Reactions:
yea its dumb and far too slow. on the other hand, i was in a fight as chi with jap-my subs vs their whole fleet. fight lasted like half a year and i maxed out my desired doctrines during that time. but that was basically "exploit" due to no ASW ships in jap fleet.

if you want more XP, go to defines and change max XP during 1 day-it sits at like 2 for each category, just raise it till you like it.

On the good side, enemy don't have it too and you don't need it at max to win! There is a reason not every country in the world have a full navy doctrine! Decision making is a good game design, if we can research everything then it is not choices anymore.

The Ship experience is a different matter, you can have very good ship experience in fighting, much more if fight against harder enemy, and ship get much faster experience than land unit.

Reactions:
I agree on this. While Ground and Air forces have a constant influx by being in battle for a prolonged time the influx of naval experience from combat is minuscule. This actually does not make any sense at all as ships which are at sea and not in port conduct battle drills while not being in combat. So yes… any naval stance that leads to a ship unit to be at sea should give experience in wartime

• 1Like
Reactions:
Cheating the game doesn't add anything to a talk about balance issues.
Nav XP is capped at 2 per day. if you manage to for example sink whole major worth of ships where you would get 50 or 100 xp from it, you instead get 2, as per rules of the daily XP gain. its literally balance tool, not cheating. but if you consider changing defines in this manner cheating, i hope you dont like most of mods and none of the overhauls, as they change them.

• 1Like
Reactions:
There is a reason not every country in the world have a full navy doctrine! Decision making is a good game design, if we can research everything then it is not choices anymore.

The problem is not "having a full navy doctrine" (15 techs.) The problem is gaining enough XP to pay for more than 1-2 doctrine techs.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Really? I usually instantly get literal boatloads of naval experience, once I start raiding enemy shipping.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I just watched a streamer play for the Dec 1940 - Mar 1941 period and kept tabs on how much experience he gained (and used). He had multiple big naval engagements against the Italians with not-too-shabby strike fleets as well as constant convoy raiding with submarines.

How much naval experience did he gain? 25.

He'll get his first doctrine in about a year if this keeps up.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I am often capped at 500 Naval XP without me noticing as Germany after I start raiding.

I have something like 50 Subs II with B&V designer, which I sent out into the atlantic, with Never Repair, Always Engage enabled. They should make place for the new Subs III then, and meanwhile should hit the enemy hard.

Reactions:
I am often capped at 500 Naval XP without me noticing as Germany after I start raiding.

I have something like 50 Subs II with B&V designer, which I sent out into the atlantic, with Never Repair, Always Engage enabled. They should make place for the new Subs III then, and meanwhile should hit the enemy hard.
Is always engage worth it? I usually set it to the setting before that. Engage when heavily outnumbered, or whatever it's called.

Is always engage worth it? I usually set it to the setting before that. Engage when heavily outnumbered, or whatever it's called.
For sub, it is the only way to make them stay in convoy battle. In standard, they will run as soon as a DD appear. A DD can win over several subs but not 50. This is a little cheat against AI and game design though, because AI don't get well vs always engage subs.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: