• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sergeant
3 Badges
Jan 21, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Crusader Kings III
Priests, nuns, Holy Order warriors, and other celibates should be able to sometimes get pregnant or father children, or have (adult) lovers. This certainly occurred in the real Middle Ages. Perhaps a special status for a Bishop or Pope's children, like there is for born in the purple. Perhaps Born in the Cloth.

Reactions:
Perhaps a special status for a Bishop or Pope's children, like there is for born in the purple. Perhaps Born in the Cloth.
"Born in the Purple" isn't a trait made up by the devs though. Porphyrogenos was an actual honorific.
The Pope's bastards may have been known or even famous sometimes ; they were still just that: bastards. Nothing honorific about that.

Reactions:
Priests, nuns, Holy Order warriors, and other celibates should be able to sometimes get pregnant or father children, or have (adult) lovers. This certainly occurred in the real Middle Ages. Perhaps a special status for a Bishop or Pope's children, like there is for born in the purple. Perhaps Born in the Cloth.
Being "born in the cloth" isn't an inherent advantage.

Papal bastards and the like were successful (sometimes, not always!) because they'd got a powerful protector and patron, not because of any inherent position in life, unlike Born in the Purple which was *literally* a trait for legitimate children born in one particular part of the Byzantine Palaces.
Being the bastard of the local priest on the other hand wasn't an advantage, especially after the priest died or was reassigned, and it was unlikely to be publicly acknowledged.

And... seduce away. You can seduce priests, bishops, popes, and so on. But if they're *actually* celibate you're going to have a hard time doing it.
I've even seen the Pope seduced by various male rulers in some games - leading me to try and break with the church and institute a *better* church leadership.

Reactions:
I'm pretty sure I've seen a pope in one of my campaigns have a child but he was lustful, outside of being lustful holy people should not have affairs or children

I'm pretty sure I've seen a pope in one of my campaigns have a child but he was lustful, outside of being lustful holy people should not have affairs or children
That works fine for Catholicism, and the higher-ups in Orthodoxy, but it can't be a general rule, because "married priests" is very much a part of some religions, and can be a core part of custom religions.

Even the affairs - if your religion doesn't consider "cheating" to be a problem, then it's not a problem for the priests either. So, Adultery accepted, clerical marriage, no bastards; Carnal Exaltation, Polyamory.

"Born in the Purple" isn't a trait made up by the devs though. Porphyrogenos was an actual honorific.
The Pope's bastards may have been known or even famous sometimes ; they were still just that: bastards. Nothing honorific about that.
one child of the pope became a pope (Pope John XI) .... after his father (Pope Sergius III) ... this i think is the only case of this happening though

one child of the pope became a pope (Pope John XI) .... after his father (Pope Sergius III) ... this i think is the only case of this happening though
"Highly doubtful." Biased accounts are biased.

"Horace Kinder Mann considers this story "highly doubtful", highlighting Liutprand's bias.[4] Reginald L. Poole,[5] Peter Llewelyn, Karl Josef von Hefele, August Friedrich Gfrörer,[6] Ludovico Antonio Muratori, and Francis Patrick Kenrick[7] also maintain that Pope John XI was sired by Alberic I of Spoleto."

"Highly doubtful." Biased accounts are biased.

"Horace Kinder Mann considers this story "highly doubtful", highlighting Liutprand's bias.[4] Reginald L. Poole,[5] Peter Llewelyn, Karl Josef von Hefele, August Friedrich Gfrörer,[6] Ludovico Antonio Muratori, and Francis Patrick Kenrick[7] also maintain that Pope John XI was sired by Alberic I of Spoleto."
Ferdinand Gregorovius,[1] Ernst Dümmler, Thomas Greenwood, Philip Schaff, and Rudolf Baxmann[2] accept Liutprand's account.

the first part of that quote you sent me. Horace kinder Mann is a man from 1859-1928 while respected and well learned he was one man verses the 3 others you left out. This man if I'm reading correctly is calling out the legitimacy of Pope Johns rule. Saying he wasnt actually a pope for his mother put him in the seat. (maintain that Pope John XI was sired by Alberic I of Spoleto.")

Liuprand was the only man who kept record of the event and is the only evidence besides the pope records themselves. Liuprand evidence is life experience verse a man almost 1000 years later speculation that he wasn't pope. Liuprand was alive from 920 to 972. he was considered the pope at the time but only a puppet to his mother.

i will say his raise to power is intresting and highly suspect but he was a pope and is beleived by many to be the child of the former.