National Ideagroups - 24th of October

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What I like about bulgarias ideas is that missonary strength. So if you take over the balkan areas you release Bulgaria and feed it as much as you can so it converts everything to your religion.

Are the Teutonic Order ideas really that good? They don't seem AS good as Prussian and Swedish Ideas, but then again those two are routinely considered the best in the game.

It's nice to see some teutonic buffs though, Poland, Lithuania and Denmark are terrible pains to deal.

I don't think Prussia stopped being "Prussian" when it became the German Empire. They likely identified themselves as Germans onwards but they were still very Prussian in nature. Furthermore, when you get a large number of nations that're able to form a particular union (for example Germany), how do you decide whose idea set to use as that particular union's ideas? What about the HRE? That's a Germanic union that can be formed by any Catholic nation in the game.

Indeed true. That's why I was specifying (although I didn't really draw attention to it) that what I was suggesting only apply to situations where the new nation/tag does have a specific set of ideas. Prussia, Russia, Italy, e.g., all have their own national ideas (yes, Prussia and Russia share theirs with Brandenburg and Muscovy, but they're still their national ideas). Germany doesn't, nor does the HRE, so I wouldn't see an issue with whoever forms those nations continuing to use the creator's NIs.

I would, for the sake of counterargument, present the case of Novgorod keeping its national ideas when it forms Russia (which I would actually prefer it did not do...)

It's a good counter-argument, to be fair. It probably ought not to, then.

ETA: Aaargh, the cultural union argument is also a good one.

Many apologies for acknowledging other posters have good points. I must remember I am on the Internet.

I like TO ideas, but have one suggestion for them.
In one of the early NIs TO should get some bonuses to papal influence and/or diplomatic reputation.

Reasoning:
Teutonic Order State was in the late middle ages the only state to have a permanent 'ambassador' in Vatican, they also used both protection of Pope and HR Emperor to receive more volunteers on Prussian 'crusades'. In fact, even over 30 years after the Union of Krewo (Lithuania converting to Catholic in 1386) they still portrayed Lithuanians as barbarian pagans and were successfull in their propaganda.
During the Thirteen Years War (1454-1466) between Poland and TO, they received big support from Pope, even though the direct reason of war was that citizens of Gdansk (Danzig) and other cities of TO State rebelled against the Teutonic high taxes and seeked protection from Polish king.

For a while I can't refer to any proper historical sources on this topic, may search some within the next few days if needed.

Nah, the TO and the Papacy had huge spitting battles at each other in court during this time. The Papal State regularly took Poland's side and attacked the TO in court - which the TO largely ignored.

Been wanting to play Teutons since they start in an interesting area and these ideas make them a lot more attractive. I wish there was a Teuton based achievement...I guess I could try the 100 provinces control thing.

Are the Teutonic Order ideas really that good? They don't seem AS good as Prussian and Swedish Ideas, but then again those two are routinely considered the best in the game.

It's nice to see some teutonic buffs though, Poland, Lithuania and Denmark are terrible pains to deal.

Its really their innate tradditions that are good.
Cavalry Combat Ability: +10.0%
Discipline: +5.0%
Right off the start is very good. And the first 3 ideas giving additional military buffs is good too.

Prussian ideas have to be unlocked before they get good.

the later Teutonic ideas are good too depending on what you do. If you go conquer all that orthodox land then that missionary strength, - unrest and revolt becomes very handy.

The sky is crying! TO finally has his own idea set and it's damn nice