National Ideagroups - 22nd of October A - Finland

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
perhaps some welsh ideas next? wales appears fairly often(along with cornwall).

I suppose it'd be handy orthodox provinces whenever you go to liberate Karelia(iirc Karelia is finnish right in game?)

I know this will sound like I'm asking for a huge Sweden wank, but seriously I was always bothered that the swedish Hakkapeliitta national idea lowers cavalry cost when the reasonable effect should be cavalry power.
If we can't change the effect then at least change the name from Hakkapeliitta to "we have surplus of horses" or something.

I know this will sound like I'm asking for a huge Sweden wank, but seriously I was always bothered that the swedish Hakkapeliitta national idea lowers cavalry cost when the reasonable effect should be cavalry power.
If we can't change the effect then at least change the name from Hakkapeliitta to "we have surplus of horses" or something.
+1

Sweden never had a surplus of horses. Quite the opposite, especially not war horses.

I just wrote that in lack of any other name. I mean that Hakkapeliitta should not have the effect lowered cost, cause that's not what they are known for.
If it's too much that sweden gets a bit cavalry power with that infantry power then I'm cool with just changing the name to match the lowered cost effect.

Last edited:
They both have them. Sweden without Finland is like a **** without balls :)
Certainly
Swedish+court_386857_4026239.png

This comes as a major surprise.

Considering how hard it is to create ideas for a country that didn't exist, good thinking on the ideas!

Last edited:
[*]Found Turun Akatemia: -5% Technology Cost

For historical reasons I would rather call it Regia Academia Aboensis or Kungliga Akademien i Åbo. Kuninkaallinen Turun Akatemia is not a contemporary name, but a modern translation. Swedish is one of our two national languages, so there's no real harm of using the Swedish names when those are historically more appropriate than the Finnish names.

For historical reasons I would rather call it Regia Academia Aboensis or Kungliga Akademien i Åbo. Kuninkaallinen Turun Akatemia is not a contemporary name, but a modern translation. Swedish is one of our two national languages, so there's no real harm of using the Swedish names when those are historically more appropriate than the Finnish names.
Even as a Finn, I must agree. It makes little sense to have the university go by its Finnish name in this time period.

Even as a Finn, I must agree. It makes little sense to have the university go by its Finnish name in this time period.

The academy is mentioned in event 3282 where it is called the Royal Academy of Åbo. Since the city/town is also called Åbo, that makes sense and could be used here.

Then again, many NIs do use the native language even for things that would otherwise be translated.

I wholeheartedly hate these ideas. And what's up with your naming policies? What is this 'Turun Akatemia' you speak of, yet you 'expand Viborg' all the same? Well nevermind, should not expect anything better considering the god-awful naming of HRE decisions already...

I do not like most of them...

How about

Chydenius: 15% productivity/trade/tax (wrote about free markets before Adam Smith, unknown because no one bothered to translate him to a cool language)
Woodsmen: cheaper buildings or more production
Tar trade: every naval power needed tar, and Finland was a large exporter of said good, maybe cheaper ships or more trade power?
Kalevala: a independent Finland would maybe seek its own national history way earlier than what happened historically, maybe smaller revolt risk, increased coring cost or prestige bonus?
Hansa legacy: most of our old coastal cities were founded to serve Baltic trade; maybe trade power or cheaper technology or trade income. Many families can trace their ancestry back to Germans who came to trade here.
Finlandization: Diplomatic bonus? More diplomatic influence or just more relations, we know how to bend in always the right direction, as long as it helps us keep our indepence
Looking for squirrels: +1 colonist, Finnish men were not afraid to go ever deeper into unknown wastelands just to get a few extra furs...

These would probably suit better a strong Finland that is transported from CK2 game, where they actually stand a chance to survive without getting roflstomped either by Russians or Swedens as was the historical tradition...