National Ideagroups - 19th of October C - Moldavia

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, and we have a long list of Slavic loanwords. But many of those have been adapted - they have slightly different meanings in Romanian.

If I take this list of ideas and show it to an average Romanian:
Moldavian Hospodar - at first he won't understand what it means, then by analogy he will read "gospodar", which means householder, and he'll think of a long list of groceries.
Moldavian Voievode - immediately he'll think of Stephen the Great.

We don't want people to think of groceries when playing EU4, right? ;)
I understand you, "hospodar" sounds similar to "gospodarz" and that's householder too. But in polish Moldavian historical rulers are called hospodars. So I guess it's the same in english language.

I understand you, "hospodar" sounds similar to "gospodarz" and that's householder too. But in polish Moldavian historical rulers are called hospodars. So I guess it's the same in english language.
In Polish they are called "hospodars", in English they are called "voievode". I guess that the person who wrote the name was Polish/influenced by the Polish names.

For reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogdan_I_of_Moldavia (and any Wikipedia article about this topic)
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/565404/Stephen (and any Encyclopedia Britannica article about this topic)

The common English word for this is "voievode", which is also the common Romanian word: "voievod".

Later edit:
Change that from "Polish/influenced by Polish names" to "Slavic/influenced by Slavic names."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hospodar#Non-Slavic_usage said:
The rulers of Wallachia and Moldavia were styled hospodars in Slavic writings from the 15th century to 1866. Hospodar was used in addition to the title voivod. When writing in Romanian, the term Domn (from the Latin dominus) was used.
Still, my point stands, the common English word used exactly for this was "voievode".

Last edited:
- in russian too.:)
That's true, see my edit about Slavic literature above.

However the kosher thing to do is to either use the English term (voievode) or the the Romanian one (voievod). English because English is the default EU4 interface language or Romanian because, you know, Moldavia is Romanian :)

Voivode would probably be better, that's what's used in English when it isn't translated to Prince.

Aye, Voivode would prolly be better, for the most part it was more commonly used by us to describe our Kings, along with Domnitor. So Hospodar I never heard of it unfortunately, not in any of our history books at least =[.

But man finally Moldavia got some nifty ideas to go with it. No longer feels generic! Thank you Paradox!

yes! finally i can play this dude and wreak some havoc on ottoman, crimean, hungarian butt! :)

I only need to wait until Poland invades Danzig as they usually do, and backstab them for independence.

Let's count

Smolensk, Pskov, Tver, Yaroslavl, Ryazan, Krakow, Danzig, Silesia, Theodoro, Cyprus, Trebizond -> 11 Eastern OPMs with little chances of survival; maybe I could agree they should have a bit lower priority :p

Croatia, Wallachia, Bosnia, Georgia, Moldavia -> 5 Balkan countries; here I am absolutely not going to complain, Balkans needed some stuff! Previously only Serbia, Hungary and Ragusa had anything cool here.

Navarra, Provence - 2 Western minors; well they have positive response from a community.

Mogadishu, Ajuraan, Dahomey, Kanem Bornu, Air -> 5 African countries; hey the number of Subsaharan NIs is doubled ;)

Aztecs -> 1 American empire

Majapahit, Sunda, Afghanistan -> 3 major Asian countries.

18 of 27 are new European NIs. Yeah, 2/3. But I wouldn't panic as we have 10 days and 30 - 40 new NIs to see :) and almost all interesting European countries are done now :p

(I would still love to see NIs for Albania, Bulgaria and Finland lol)

I am 99% sure we will see Incan ideas. Also Mesoamerica and South America will be almost 40 tags now so I expect at least few NI sets here. Personally I would expect NIs for:

- Haida
- Maya nation
- Zapotec nation
- Inca
- second Andean nation
- Araucans or another badass SA tribe
- Ashanti (my fave)
- Hausa
- Mutapa
- Kilwa
- Ceylon
- Kurdistan
- Shan
- Lan Xang
- M'zan :p
- Timbuktu
- Khmer

Honestly with that many more tags incoming I have no idea what countries are they going to belong to...
You should be glad they've touched the rest of the world at all. This is Europa Universalis after all. Who cares about the African savages or the Asian barbarians? :rolleyes:

You should be glad they've touched the rest of the world at all. This is Europa Universalis after all. Who cares about the African savages or the Asian barbarians? :rolleyes:
We do care about them. Otherwise who are we supposed to invade? :cool: