National Ideagroups - 14th of October - C

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Lot of naval ideas for a country landlocked for most of the game's time frame. There were Basque sailors and colonists but Basque isn't automatically the same thing as Navarran.

I was hoping for culture conversion cost reduction so I could just spam Basque all over Aquitaine and Iberia.

Technically, the ideas are all useless, because chances are Navarra will be annexed before even starting an Idea Group.
The point of National Ideas for minor countries is to give them something a player can work with. And that's why these ideas are completely fine. A Navarry player is most likely going to eat up the Iberian Peninsula (or attempting to), or at the very least roll a basic American Capital strategy. For both those playstyles these ideas work fine.

Albeit I agree, a culture conversion cost boost would have fit in as well.

Must have: Ferrara, Sicily, Mongol Khanate, Golden Horde, Delhi, Some Daymios (?), Aztec, Inca and Maya, Tupi (?), Hesse, Augsburg (?), Hannover/Brunswick, Baden and Wuttenberg, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Athens (?), Albania <3 Finland <3, Orders (TEU and LIV)

Must have: Ferrara, Sicily, Mongol Khanate, Golden Horde, Delhi, Some Daymios (?), Aztec, Inca and Maya, Tupi (?), Hesse, Augsburg (?), Hannover/Brunswick, Baden and Wuttenberg, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Athens (?), Albania <3 Finland <3, Orders (TEU and LIV)

Agree with Aztec, Inca, Maya. Bosnia, Bulgaria, Athens, Albania and Finland could use some love, either through unique NI's or cultural-group-based NI's.

The rest already has NI's and frankly, are quite low on the need-NI's-ASAP priorities list, i think. (Horde and Divine Ideas are quite cool, Italian and German ideas are reasonable)

Don't mean to rain on your parade, it's just that i would like 1st to see zero nations with the generic idea set.

Yay! cool NIs for my favourite OPM :happy:

13162087.jpg

Wanted to play as Navarra for ages, but the generic set turned me off. While I wish there were a culture cost reduction, this is nice... will soon be time to make Iberia and Gaul Basque!

ah Navarra, that makes me remembered when i played as them, fleed to Britanny and sold my 2 spanish provinces, converted to reformed after banctruptcy and then France got attacked from all sides and i joined in taking some land, 250 years after the 1444 i formed France...

really, Navarra Stronk

Navarra

Traditions
+20% Naval Forcelimits
-20% Lightship Costs

1. Dorretxeak Towers: +10% Defensiveness
  2. Navarrese Company: -15% Mercenary Cost
  3. Intrepid Pioneers: +20 Colonial Growth
  4. Transatlantic Whaling: +10% Production Efficiency
  5. Crosspyrenean Trade: -2.5% Technology Cost & 25% Trade Steering.
  6. Royal Basque Society: -10% Idea Cost
  7. End of Fueros: -10% Stability Cost

Ambitions
+10% Trade Efficiency

No! WTF!! It makes no sense historically!!!! They seem designed ideas for the Basque provinces, but not for historical Navarra, which has nothing to do.

Navarra had only one port in the Middle Ages (Fuenterrabía), but irrelevant. The Navarrese Company, for example, embarked on Tortosa (Catalonia) to Durazzo, in mercenaries boats. Navarra never threw whaling ships, of course. The Dorretxeak had no defensive importance. In the north, manors were defending other nobles, not from the outside, and had no defensive value compared to the castles of the south. So when Navarra was conquered, Cardinal Cisneros ordered to destroy the castles, dangerous for the invaders, not those buildings without relevance.

Nor was Navarre them stand in colonization, however yes there was most brilliant thinkers (Doctor Navarrus), missionaries (San Francisco Javier), theologians (Bartolomé de Carranza), politicians (Rodrigo Jimenez de Rada), military and engineers (Peter Navarro)... You could have chosen many other fields, no colonization.

And the idea Royal Basque Society is the icing on the cake. A disaster. I hope you rectify.

Last edited:
Will they actually pick exploration, or will it somehow be like Kurland - colonization NI with no idea groups allowing for colonists?

Agree with Aztec, Inca, Maya. Bosnia, Bulgaria, Athens, Albania and Finland could use some love, either through unique NI's or cultural-group-based NI's.

The rest already has NI's and frankly, are quite low on the need-NI's-ASAP priorities list, i think. (Horde and Divine Ideas are quite cool, Italian and German ideas are reasonable)

Don't mean to rain on your parade, it's just that i would like 1st to see zero nations with the generic idea set.

Ideas aren't terribly hard to do, let alone code. Not a whole lot of reason that any state with even a remote amount of historical relevance isn't entitled to a unique set.

For example, heres ferrera from my mod (balanced for MP use, mind you):

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FER_ideas = {
start = {
mercenary_cost = -0.25
papal_influence =
}

bonus = {
build_cost = -0.10
}

trigger = {
OR = {
tag = FER
AND = {