• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

kwanzaabot

First Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2020
Everywhere in sci-fi (and real-life conspiracy theories) there's stories about how aliens visited Earth in the distant past and were worshipped as gods. There's the Goa'uld in Stargate, Marvel has the Asgardians, the History Channel has the Ancient Aliens guy.

They say they built the pyramids, or Stonehenge, or the face on Mars. So why not let us play as them? The DLC could have various alien portraits, inspired by ancient myths (my personal preference would be Ancient Egypt, so you'd have Anubis and Ra and Sobek, though the gameplay would absolutely work for players who have the Humanoids DLC, as you could use a dwarf or elf as the gods of a Norse mythology-themed race, or the cyclops as a Greek Titan, etc, and that one robed Necroid just screams "worship me" as well)

Speaking of gameplay, it'd be pretty self-explanatory. Instead of enslaving Primitives (though you could still do that if you wished), you could beam down to the planet, and be worshipped as gods--perhaps you would recruit priests instead of soldiers, and instead of a ground war, the UI would show your progress converting the locals to your religion.
You could use displays of your GODLY POWERS to create monuments to your greatness, which you could use to gain all the benefits of adding a Primitive planet to your empire, while avoiding the Stellar Culture Shock penalty--Primitives would have an easier time understanding the concept of gods than the concept of aliens.

I think it could be a lot of fun, and encourage a new style of play.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
(This doesn't really expand on your suggestion, but FWIW, you may enjoy the Gods and Guardians mod, which features a new primitive interaction based exactly on the tropes that you described.)

The idea of purposefully making primitives worship you is interesting, but would probably make more sense as a civic since its not something inherent to their biology.

Reactions:
This would work good as part of a primitive expansion, which was on the roadmap for grekulf last year I believe. Having portraits alongside it would be a bonus, but this could be an exclusive action given by a civic with strong effects from observation stations.

And maybe developing/controlling primitive worlds in a stronger way than now, but not to the extent of outright ownership, which is where you could direct your monuments, and even allow (slow) growth. Instead of most regular production, you could get trade value.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is not a bad idea. The game already has the names of the ancient Romans, why not make portraits of the ancient gods? Of course, laid out for space. But the main thing is new mechanics. In general, interaction with primitive worlds should be expanded.

the History Channel has the Ancient Aliens guy.
Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 8.47.20 PM.png

Speaking of gameplay, it'd be pretty self-explanatory. Instead of enslaving Primitives (though you could still do that if you wished), you could beam down to the planet, and be worshipped as gods--perhaps you would recruit priests instead of soldiers, and instead of a ground war, the UI would show your progress converting the locals to your religion.
Since primitive civs are not unified, you'd need to convince several different mini-civs, which could be done as an ongoing mission -- like archaeology, and like the upcoming envoy diplomacy stuff -- and that could fit very nicely into a new diplomacy DLC or mod.

I'd love to see nasty imperialist colonial stuff for the Authoritarian / Militarists, and a different crop of colonial problems for the Xenophile / Egalitarians.

Reactions: