My Idea to make Combat Micromangable and Automatic, and a Ground Invasion/Army Rework (Building/Civic updates for Army Rework as well). Part 1

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

PolyFinn

Recruit
34 Badges
Mar 5, 2021
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
For me, Personally, I'd love if I was able to micromanage combat more in Stellaris. More specifically how my fleet actually fights. I know a lot of people don't want to have to micromanage another thing. However, I think I thought of a way where you could micromanage combat if you want, but didn't have to and still be effective.

I would also love if Ground Invasions and Armies were actually more important and had more depth, but no too much.

In this post, I'm going to be going over my idea of how to let Fleet combat and Ground invasions be more micromanaged. My goals in thinking were: It had to be fun, You don't have to micromanage and could still be effective, and finally, my main goal MAKE GROUND INVASIONS ACTUALLY COOL.

I'm going to go over my New combat system that can be micromanaged but doesn't have to be, and a Ground Army Rework that could tie into the New Combat and Research thing, or could be stand-alone.

NEW COMBAT AND RESEARCH:

Combat System:
Fleet and Ground Invasion combat will be changed a bit. Instead of it being more of a headbutt your fleet into another and wait for the outcome. Instead, combat should be put into 3 waves. During the first wave, you start off with a bit more artillery and ranged attacks, or maybe you're the type to rush. 2nd wave would start actual charging engagement. At the 3rd wave, another assault happens and after that fight, one fleet/army would retreat (or you're given the option to) because realistically a government would want to preserve its fleet/army. Unless you have 'No Retreat' then your fleet will keep fighting.

If applied to Ground Invasions it could (in theory) make Ground Invasions more difficult (like they should be).

Tactics and Doctrines: My idea is that you would Research military tactics and when you go into combat you could choose to micromanage each wave of combat (By picking the tactic you research). When micromanaging it, you could choose which Tactic you would want to do. Like picking a play in a MADDEN game for example (if you've ever played on).

There are 2 ways you could implement Military research: You could add a new research section for military research (Which is easier), or Adding a new tab for military research that could also be used research Research/Tactics, and Army Equipment (We're keeping fleet weapons and armor in a normal research. Duh), also in this tab you could equip those Doctrine/Tactic you've researched. For the Military Research tab. You would Assign a Field Marshall to run it (Could just use Researchers Section).

For the sake of my Idea, we're gonna use the new tab for Military Research.

I think this would be easier to implement into the AI compared to other combat changes I've read, because, as you will read later on, I have a plan to make it so it can be automatic for the AI and Player.

Automatic combat option: We have combat AI in the game as an equip option on the ship designs in Fleet designer, so why not make it more useful. When you have a battle, and you don't want to micromanage it. Then the combat AI would take and implement the tactic you have researched.

How would the combat AI use the tactics you've research? 2 ways to fix that is: Let it use all tactic you have research with a flat bonus like it already has (making it better than the player), or the better option would be that, depending on the level of combat AI you have researched the more tactics it can use. A level 1 combat AI would only be able to store (let's say 3) tactics, and it could only use those 3. Maybe you could equip the tactics you want it to use in the Military tab I talked about earlier, or it's just randomized with the automatic best option.

You could sort the tactics in your combat AI as Offense, Defense, and Situational

CONTINUE TO PART 2

• 1Like
Reactions:
PART 2: GROUND ARMY REWORK
MAKE ASSAULT ARMIES GREAT AGAIN (GROUND ARMY REWORK):

Army Design changes:
2 ways you could possibly change the way how armies are designed is: Adding the ability to design an Army division like HOI4 (Which is eh.) Or you could design an Army, not as a division, but the singular soldiers. In the military research tab or slot maybe you research Tactics/Doctrine, but also Military equipment for ground troops. Like Guns, Explosive, ETC. Let's say the enemy has more ground troops landing on your Planet, but you have better Guns and Equipment. You should have more of a chance to fend them off.

The Army Design could be a new tab, or you could combine it with the fleet manager, and that would mean that the Army could actually have a look at them, then just icons. The next section will go into more detail how the ground invasions could look like.

New Ground Invasion battle area: I think the best way to make Ground Invasions look cool as hell is to make it look exactly like a fleet battle. It would show the battle and the people colliding. This would also be the tab you could select what tactic your combat army uses. Maybe If that's too hefty to "simulate" a battle you could turn it off in the pregame menu (Like turning off Xeno Compatibility) and it would just be how it is now with the ability to select battle tactics.

I think if we could simulate Ground Invasions you could also pick what your army looks like (Kinda like how you could pick your fleet design/city design) So you could have: Reptillian, Necroids, Plantoid Army designs.

New Invasion Units: This I'm less sure of, but maybe you could make armored and artillery divisions for Ground Invasions. It would add more depth to ground invasions to make them harder, and cooler.

Army Capacity and Training: let's add an Army limit as we do with Fleets, and make armies more expensive. Training for units should be costly (like building a fleet). We should be able to train Garrisons to defend our planets, instead of relying on jobs. A stronghold job could do exactly what it does now, but also add Army Capacity. Also having a General on the planet could train the troop's way faster. Training troops should be done in advance, and be upgraded and retrofitted like a fleet. General should also only be able to command a certain amount of Army Units. So multiple Armies and General could land at the same time, or you need to build your force properly so that your army comes out on top.

We could increase upkeep for armies to the level of Fleets, but instead of Energy and Aloys. It would be Food and Consumer Goods. This would also make Rare Resources used more than just buildings and ships.

Changes to Warform, Slave Armies, ETC: With the new Army Design changes you could make War forms and other types of armies more like researching a better ship design (like Corvette to Destroyer). Maybe a Slave would be super cheap and only count as 1/2 a normal army for capacity, but they would only be able to a Gun and Armor slot. Maybe a clone would be cheap, but count as 1 for capacity, but could hold a Gun, Armor, and Equipment slot. A Warform would be would more in army capacity, but cold hold multiple Guns, Armor, and Equipment. Maybe even a Mech Weapon slot for like a Missle or Torpedo researched for Ships.

CONTINUE TO PART 3 FOR BUILDINGS UPDATES AND IDEAS

Reactions:
PART 3: BUILDING UPDATES AND IDEAS.
BUILDINGS:

Buildings that could be Changed:
The possible buildings that could be affected, or added to pair with new the combat system with Tactics/Doctrine, and the Army changes I suggested:

Stronghold: A bonus to defensive armies on the planet. Increase in Naval/Army Capacity.

Fortress: Pretty much the same at the Stronghold, but increased more.

Military Academy: Increased Army Experience. Armies are trained faster.

Dread Encampment: Military Academy, but it only applies the bonuses to Undead Armies.

These could be possible new buildings that could be added

PSI Training Camp: A Psonic Military Academy/Dread Encampment that is better. It could also make all armies trained to have less Collateral Damage.

Military-Industrial Complex: Adds research bonus speeds for Military tab and increased Fleet/Army building speed.

War Foundry: Robot version of a Military-Industrial Complex, or for Organic Empire it could be used to build Robot Armies.

War Nest: Hive Mind version of a Military-Industrial Complex, or for Other Empire it could be used to build Xenomorph/Alien type Units.

Command Tent: Increases the amount given from Military-Industrial Complex/ War Foundry/ War nest by 20%

Colosseum (Warrior Culture): Makes Army training slower, but adds more Damage or Health. It also adds Amenities like a Holotheatre

CONTINUE TO PART 4 FOR CIVIC UPDATE AND IDEAS

PART 4: CIVIC UPDATE AND IDEAS
Because Posting more than 1 set of numbers is Forbidden on this Forum (Apparently).
I've compressed all of them in a text document if you're interested in my Civic Update Ideas

CONTINUE TO PART 5 FOR POSSIBLE NEMESIS BUILDING IDEAS

OR SKIP TO THE CONCLUSION IF YOU DON'T CARE

Attachments

• PART 4-CIVIC UPDATES AND IDEAS.txt
    5,1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
PART 5: POSSIBLE NEMESIS BUILDINGS
POSSIBLE NEMESIS BUILDINGS

I know the Nemesis Update and DLC might introduce spies and espionage so maybe some possible buildings for are (This is just a Tangent):

Intelligence Agency: Adds maybe more intelligence with fog of war (I'm not sure how Nemesis works completely). Can spy on a planet so that a Ground Invasion is more effective. Maybe spy on the Defense force on the planet to give bonuses to attackers.

Hive Knowledge Node: Intelligence Agency for Hiveminds.

Galactic Observation Complex: Intelligence Agency for Machine Intelligence.

Special Operations Agency: Adds a bonus to defense against Intelligence Agency spying of a planet's army (Spying/Sabotage Protection). Adds the ability to build the Spec Ops Army Type.

Spec Ops Army Type: Super Expensive and is more of a supportive role that stacks bonuses mid Invasion to help out the Army. (Can be used on Defensive Armies)

PSI-OPS Agency: Basically a Psionic version of the Special Operations Agency that introduced the PSI-OPS Army type.

PSI Ops Army Type: Just a Spec Ops Army with Psionic bonuses. Like morale and telepathy.

Infiltrator Drone Pod: Hive Mind Version of Special Operations Agency that adds the Infiltrator Army Type.

Infiltrator Army Type: Spec Ops Army type for Hive Minds. You can add more bonuses for them maybe.

Terminator Facility: Robot Version of Special Operations Agency that adds the Terminator Army Type.

Terminator Army Type: Just a Spec Ops Army for Robotic Empires. You can add more bonuses adds for them maybe.

GO TO THE CONCLUSION

CONCLUSION
CONCLUSION

This is my Idea to be able to have the ability to Micromanage combat more if you want to. Obviously, we all get lazy in the late game, and usually, just automate planets and everything. So, I also found out a way you could micromanage combat while still being able to have people not have to micromanage it.

And my main goal of this post was more the Ground Army Rework. I Want Ground Invasions to feel more Epic, and actually fun to watch. I love watching my Armies crush other armies in Ground Invasions. I just wish it was more difficult and had more depth. Also, That it looked like a simulated battle than just icons (But if it's not possible I understand)

On a side note, If you're Stellaris Dev is reading this. Please put some of this into consideration. I personally love Vanilla Stellaris, and I just want a way to go more in-depth Ground Invasions Mostly. I'd personally just love a Ground Army update where you could customize ground forces like Fleets. Thank you for reading my Suggestion

For everyone else. THANK YOU FOR READING MY LONG SUGGESTION

ON A SIDE NOTE. THE REASON I COULDN'T POST EVERYTHING IN 1 THREAD IS BECAUSE APPARENTLY, MULTIPLE SETS OF NUMBER IS "SPAM-LIKE" SO HAVING SOME LIKE +20% ON 1 SENTENCE. THEN +1 UNITY IS FORBIDDEN (BUT NOT IN THIS CONTEXT SO I'M CONFUSED).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Impirium has a glorious combat system:
1st. you can order your generals to use various formations, and army make up affects effectiveness.
2nd, you can order your generals to take specific tactics which affect how they act.
3rd, and my personal fricken favorite, Armies with generals can move by themselves and you can turn on and off general automation! i cant understand why this is not basic in all games but w/e Stellaris NEEDs that functionality

While I love the idea of more complex fleet/army combat controls and mechanics, and certianly both fleet and ground combat needs some work, Stellaris is not the game where such things should be micro'd.

I would prefer more changes at the strategy level, and let the tactics/combat/calculations be automated.

Reactions: