• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Arilou

Irken Tallest
103 Badges
Aug 24, 2002
Visit site
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • King Arthur II
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
Okay, Pops was a good idea for Vicky, unfortunately, in EU2 I think it would either degenerate into a lot of micromanagement or would be pretty meaningless.

So I propose: The Pie-Chart Approach (TM)

You have a pie-chart of your population. By clicking on various tabs it can get to display religion, culture, social class, etc. etc. Heck, there might even be a way to link the three (so you can check what social class your russian catholics belong to)

Admittedly in the more complex version (rather than simple assigning the province a "36% catholics, 24% protestants, 10% jews, 20% Hindu" you actually assign what religion each culture and social class belongs to....) would probably require a "pop" anyway, the main difference is that it would be invisible.

Invisible is good. We don't *need* to promote/demote pops, we don't need to put them into factories or turn them into soldiers. Hence they might as well just be rendered "invisible" (apart from the "Province population screen") It means the information will be easier to get, there's less screens to take care off and it'll be overall cleaner while still allowing maximum flexibility:

Religion could of course be affected by a wide variety of things (DP sliders, events, conversion attempts, expulsions...) Culture likewise (I like the idea of CIV-style "civics" in *addition* to the DP-sliders: Depending on your education system (let's say we have "Decentralized education", "National education" and "religiously based education", each of these could have several effects, if everyone has to go to church school* to learn how to read your religion might grow slowly for instance....)

Same sort of stuff could be done with classes.

How does it sound?

*Sweden actually had compulsory education (very simple and mostly focused on being able to read the catechism) during the EU2 timeframe, mostly it was arranged by the local bellringers.

Ok, but just keep it simple. I like the idea of percentages, for both religion & culture, but the only factors you'd control would be tolerance, missions, or colonists/immigrants.

Why even have % for different groups (and open up all those cans of worms that x minority should be at 26% not 21%).

Have a list that says

Majority Culture : X
Minority Culture : Y
Minority Culture : Z

Majority Religion : A
Minority Religion : B
Minority Religion : C

OHgamer said:
Why even have % for different groups (and open up all those cans of worms that x minority should be at 26% not 21%).

Have a list that says

Then, we get to debate who can make the list as a significant enough minority. :D

OHgamer said:

Have a list that says

That may be better than the strict percentages - I'm guessing it would be slightly easier to code, and coming up with exact percentages for every province would be a nightmare - especially as there's no accurate demographic data at the required level of detail for the period!

And, if each slot were tied to some sort of rough numerical value (eg. Majority A = 60%; Majority B = 30%; Majority C = 10%; unused slots dividing their percentages amongst the used ones), then you could still have the pie charts.

OHgamer said:

Have a list that says

Looks like the Pop system for Great Invasions

Jayavarman said:
Then, we get to debate who can make the list as a significant enough minority. :D

Exactly, it really doesen't solve much...

Though I admit I didn't think of the "OMG no Qazakhs in Moscow!" thing. (not sure if there ever were any qazakhs in Moscow, just an example)

OHgamer said:

Have a list that says

I like this, for culture at least. It keeps the game simple, with one majority culture.

But for religions, I think pie-charts for each culture should be used. It would more adequately depict the gradual change of one to the other.

Yggdrasil313 said:
and the option to colonise, setting up a colony in a foreign land.. and thus enter your own as a minority.. which could then in due time and spending the resources become the majority ;)
Yes, this is a new approach on colonization too. :)

I think a pie-chart like representation of religion and cultures would be nice.

I recoqnize the debates arrising from assigning specific percentages to each religion and culture.
However if the percentages are to have any justification, IMHO they ought to be dynamic, in which case the percentages would have to be there anyway (if only just as number 'under the hood').
The result of this would only be a time delay on when the number-crunchers would figure out which percentages P-dox had assigned the vairous religions :)

Might as well print the exact percentages.

mrmister said:
I think a pie-chart like representation of religion and cultures would be nice.

I recoqnize the debates arrising from assigning specific percentages to each religion and culture.
However if the percentages are to have any justification, IMHO they ought to be dynamic, in which case the percentages would have to be there anyway (if only just as number 'under the hood').
The result of this would only be a time delay on when the number-crunchers would figure out which percentages P-dox had assigned the vairous religions :)

Might as well print the exact percentages.
Well, another solution is purely pie-charts, but with the ability to "select" pie-charts for a given religion or culture.

Say the province has to pie-charts, one for religion, one for culture, for the whole of the province. You should have the ability to select one of the culture, and see what's the religious split in it. Likewise, you should be able to select a religion, and see what cultures compose a part of it.

OHgamer said:

Have a list that says

Not tha bad really...but then again any system that will show more information would be great, as the pie-chart system...