My first attempt at playing a Modded game - I have chosen Rise of the Scavengers for my first attempt

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ken-Sw

Major
26 Badges
Nov 22, 2009
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Initiate of the Order
  • BATTLETECH
Played about 570 HRS of Battletech to date mostly Career mode with only a couple of very small mods used - added a couple flashpoints and changed stores.
Rise of the Scavengers is my first run at a larger mod. I have chosen it because it seems to be less drastic a makeover than some of the big mods It adds 9 new flashpoints new mechs/variants and a new mission type "Scavenger" Plus other changes ( check nexus page ) Uses the HBS mod load system so seemed easier for a novice at mods to use.
Installed fine just tried one mission so far - noticed a few changes - will report back when I get a few Hrs in ( I do not play as often as many others do )

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I am not much of a writer so do not expect too much.

This mod adds some nice things - my career start lance began with an Enforcer with ++AC5 and a ++ppc also a Firestart with all ++ med and small lasers also a jenner with ++Med lasers
But the enemies you face also pack upgraded weapons and full armor - quite challenging for an average player like me.
I needed a boost after all the repairs and the death of Dekker in early missions so I decided to do the Prototype Flashpoint 1 and 1/2 skull original Flashpoint I have done many times before. I assumed the old Flashpoints would be scripted - I was wrong - First enemy reinforcement lance to drop in included 2 upgraded Firestarters all + and ++ weapons that proceed to jump about backstabbing my mechs - I was caught by surprise and things started going badly fast so I hit withdrawl.
I was forced to sell my starting Spider (no special equipment ) to raise Cbills. I was surprised by how much this mod raised selling price I got over a million for it. I guess that is to make up for how hard it is to salvage enough parts to build new mechs with all the new variants.
Overall this mod adds alot of new challenges and changes to make it interesting. I have not gotten far enough to see the new Flashpoints or mission types yet.
A bit discouraged but not giving up yet.

I give up.
This mod cranked up the difficulty well above my skill level.
Anybody know of any mods that add new variety to the base game without raising the difficulty above a lowly gamers skill level?

Battletech Extended 3025 - Commander's Edition would be my next suggestion. Its changes to gameplay are significant, so be sure you read through the documentation first.

Battletech Extended 3025 - Commander's Edition would be my next suggestion. Its changes to gameplay are significant, so be sure you read through the documentation first.
I second this. Do not make the game artificially hard for yourself in your first play through, so chose options like normal or fast XP progression, 3 or 4 salvage parts, cheaper argo upgrades. Start in 3039 so you have a few years to figure things out before the Inner Sphere starts changing a lot.

I second this. Do not make the game artificially hard for yourself in your first play through, so chose options like normal or fast XP progression, 3 or 4 salvage parts, cheaper argo upgrades. Start in 3039 so you have a few years to figure things out before the Inner Sphere starts changing a lot.
Thanks I will check it out

Thanks I will check it out

Be sure to remove all of the Rise of the Scavengers files from the built-in HBS "mods" folder before installing Commander's Edition (CE). CE uses ModTek, so you will need to install ModTek first, the CE. The location of the ModTek "mods" folder is different than the HBS one, so watch for that.

I give up.
This mod cranked up the difficulty well above my skill level.
Anybody know of any mods that add new variety to the base game without raising the difficulty above a lowly gamers skill level?
They all seem to do that unfortunately. I tried Advanced 3062 and really didn't have fun with it. Roguetech looks even worse.

If you find one that seems good though, I'd be curious to see what works. Good chance your taste in mods and mine might be similar.

They all seem to do that unfortunately. I tried Advanced 3062 and really didn't have fun with it. Roguetech looks even worse.

If you find one that seems good though, I'd be curious to see what works. Good chance your taste in mods and mine might be similar.
Did you try Battletech Extended: Commanders Edition? It keeps gameplay very similar to vanilla. No complete overhaul of mechs, just more variants. The skills get changed a little, and there's a panic system, piloting the same mech type gives you some bonuses once you hit certain milestones, etc. It's all pretty easy to understand if you've played a career campaign. I can't praise it enough.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Did you try Battletech Extended: Commanders Edition? It keeps gameplay very similar to vanilla. No complete overhaul of mechs, just more variants. The skills get changed a little, and there's a panic system, piloting the same mech type gives you some bonuses once you hit certain milestones, etc. It's all pretty easy to understand if you've played a career campaign. I can't praise it enough.
I may give it a try. It sounds a little more of what I may like.

I may give it a try. It sounds a little more of what I may like.
BATTLETECH Extended Commander’s Edition (BECE) breathed new life into the game for me. It took north of 6k hours post-Launch and 1.7k hours pre-Launch, but prior to BECE my ardor for the game had cooled considerably. : )

I particularly enjoy being able to play with a game-startdate of 3039 or 3050, in addition to the original 3025. Going up against Clan OmniMechs with a tried, tested and true Mercenary Outfit was inspiring. I caught myself thinking through the small and the not-so-small tweaks to existing game mechanics and the outright new game mechanics that would have been needed to better differentiate Clan Tactics/game experience from Inner Sphere Tactics/game experience.

Good luck and good gaming!

• 1Like
Reactions: