• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Dec 26, 2005

WOW! I just played a game of Diplo against AIs and it was the best I had ever played against them. Look at the game year! I even lost my home centers for several years during this game. The game ended finally in 1926, and I am a good diplo player, too.

I think it might have been due to the random assignment of the "personalities."

Has anyone discovered a really good assignment of personalities for the AIs depending on their country or am I just imagining things?

I did have a really tough game when I was playing Austria when Russia, Italy, and Turkey all worked together against me, but I don't remember the specific AI personalities.

In general, you need a defensive minded AI for Germany and Russia, such as the BEAR, and an offensive minded one for England (so it doesn't waste units by leaving them in England, when they should be in the sea zones). Then whichever AI is going to challenge you needs to have a neighboring nation with an AI like the DOG, that will loyally work with them.

Having the MONKEY or the BULL playing as your principal rival rarely leads to a challenge. The EAGLE or ELEPHANT, allied with the DOG can be a combo of nations on your border that can cause some problems.

I'd love to see a more detailed examination of which nations do well with which AIs. But when we've asked in the past (in the AI subforum) we've never got enough feedback to draw any strong conclusions.