• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dandooku

Recruit
3 Badges
Jun 17, 2021
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings III
I have had issues with checksum past couple days. I was able to fix it yesterday for the first time by following these steps:

"Please have them do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-CK3
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/CK3 AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3 folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add CK3.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam CK3 or Documents CK3 locations, before installing again."

Today when I booted up my pc all my saved games were not achievement compatible for some reason. I went through this whole process several times. I don't have debug enabled or any mods even installed. I have reinstalled the game several times today alone.

I can start a new game with ironman mode and Achievements, but when I reboot my pc my checksum is modified and so is all my saved games and I have to reinstall the game all over but I cant unmodify my Saved games so I have to start the game all over every day do get achievements and ironmode.

I attached two saves one is my original save game from yesterday that had achievements enabled and I was obtaining them on. The 2nd save is from a test save from today testing rebooting.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT 1: I am able to Verify the game files through steam after every reboot and get my test saved file from today to work with achievements and ironman mode and create new ironman+achievement save games (still have to do it after every reboot though which is annoying.). My old campaign save from yesterday still shows no achievements enabled even though there is no checksums modified showing.
I don't know if this is a permeant fix. I don't want to put a bunch more hours into a new campaign to have this happen again.

EDIT 2: After reboot If I start the game from steam instead of the desktop shortcut then there are no problems EXCEPT for my old campaign from yesterday. It still shows no achievements enabled and no checksum modified. I Will start a new campaign and do a bit of a playthrough and seee if any more problems persist as well as try and go for an easy achievement in my old campaign to see if they are working just not recognizing in tooltip.

EDIT 3: went to mow the lawn for an hour or 2 (didnt turn pc off) came back loaded up the game and everything is messed up again. I give up anyone who has any idea please help.

EDIT 4: I was able to update my launcher to 2021.6 from whatever old version it was and now I cant do anything to enable ironman and achievements on any saved games but can still enable on new created games and all my saved games breaks when I reboot my pc still.

Attachments

• image_2021-06-17_160034.png
    image_2021-06-17_160034.png
    248,6 KB · Views: 0
  • image_2021-06-17_160048.png
    image_2021-06-17_160048.png
    230 KB · Views: 0
  • image_2021-06-17_164853.png
    image_2021-06-17_164853.png
    6 KB · Views: 0
  • image_2021-06-17_164911.png
    image_2021-06-17_164911.png
    248,3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
FYI the launcher has nothing to do with game checksums or achievements.

I don't know what can be changing your checksums on reboot, nor deleting some file that Steam then had to re-acquire. Conceivably that could be an antivirus app doing something wrong, a Windows or file system problem, or even malware.

Anything changed in that area on this machine of late?

Nothing new has changed that I am familiar with I will. I did just to a antivirus scan and another reinstall.
I did locate the actual exe file for ck3 and add that to my exceptions for firewall and antivirus.

I logged into the game made a new random game with ironman and achievements enabled. I logged out to let it save and then added my old saved game file from yesterdays playthrough. Now both the new save and old save have achievements disabled and have a checksum of 1934 somehow. I will try deleting my antivirus and another reinstall. Iam just trying different stuff see if anything fixes it

EDIT: I did some other things reinstalled it twice. I made a new save restarted and it worked fine. I then went to make some dinner came back an hour later and the saved file was broken again. It sounds like it could be some sort of "Windows or file system problem, or even malware". I did some antivirus checks again and then just deleted all of my anti virus in case they were causing some issues. I am not sure what I should be looking for.

Last edited:
I’ve had similar issue today where I changed the display setting in the game launcher from Fullscreen to Windowed which upset my checksum and Ironman campaign. Not sure if related or not to your issue but thought might worth mentioning

I’ve had similar issue today where I changed the display setting in the game launcher from Fullscreen to Windowed which upset my checksum and Ironman campaign. Not sure if related or not to your issue but thought might worth mentioning
I have not changed any in game settings. I am doing some chores and stuff around the house and I come back load up a game and the checksum is messed up (or when I reboot). I am still able to verify and fix it each time so far. So as long as I dont enter a load when it says this "invalid checksum" non-sense. Then the load should be good once the checksum is resolved no?

My only fear is something is triggering this somewhere on my system at some interval and I don't know what happens if it triggers while I am in a game.

Attachments

• image_2021-06-17_221556.png
    image_2021-06-17_221556.png
    230 KB · Views: 0
This morning I logged on and got the "invalid checksum" on my saved game. So I logged out and verified it through steam and was able to log back in and played the game with a fixed checksum. So I think this will work for now. This is the first time I was able continue playing a previous save so that is progress for sure :).