• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A message from you is always welcome. There are underlying and unresolved issues still from previous expansions that are continuously ignored, which eventually causes a massive backlash from the community.

I've been playing your games since EU1 and it's very clear times have changed. There was a time I (and undoubtedly many others) were able to understand you had to really prioritise your resources back in the day when PDX was a small studio. Stuff could not have been thoroughly tested, bugs were found, problems were apparent and it was fine... It feels to me that you are taking us, your players for granted. You (the company) got used to the fact we're forgiving and look forward to every new release and are simply taking us for a ride because you can save a buck on testers. This of course is just my own opinion, but it seems I'm echoing many others.

I remember the scandal about your QA department being shut down. I don't know the inside and out of your studio or your working practices, but from a customer's perspective it feels like I'm being taken for a ride, and you're playing on my goodwill and engagement. I've only posted my discontent on this forum a few times, and I've been recommending your games to my friends left, right and centre but we're simply not being listened to. EU4 is a game I have spent far more hours on than I'd like to admit, and I've been having performance and stability problems since the last expansion, to a point where I played maybe 10 hours in the last year. I stopped enjoying it because it's becoming so bloated. Guys, you need to change your approach to us and to your products, because it's going to cause more and more problems.

Maybe part of the community doesn't realise it yet, but you're no loner a small studio with limited resources. You're a massive company, taking in millions, with huge resources. Stop pretending you're something you're not, and live up to the expectations, please.

EDIT: I was corrected below on the QA department problem:
The QA Department that was shut down was on the Publishing side of Paradox and not the Development side. The people that were fired or relocated where responsible for communication between PDI (Paradox Interactive) Studios such as Hairbrained Schemes, Triumph Studios or Iceflake and external testing partners. The QA that works for PDS (Paradox Development Studios) projects such as EUIV, CK3 and Stellaris weren't affected by this.

Last edited:
  • 13Like
Reactions:
I don't think you'd want content designers writing multiplayer code.
Why, exactly, could content developers not work on a number of the balance issues in the game?

For instance the AI is still a bit bad with debt. Why not design some dynamic historical event chains that would lead to political reform by cancelling the debt(s)?

Or perhaps we could look at the Reformation and put in more events that fire at ahistorically high levels of Reform Desire that would give the AI incentives to delay the Reformation?

Or take the trouble with coordination against blobs, why exactly cannot we design some events to help AIs with common interests unit against a common blobbing foe (e.g. in game the Ottomans or even the Mamelukes can chew through the Balkans, the Caucuses, and Poland all while Austria and Russia ignore the juggernaut growing in favor of kicking Poland when its down)?

Or perhaps have some events during a coalition war (e.g. triggered by having 90% WS) that allow you to do something like put your dynasty on a throne and reduce AE with one of the coalition members that would make coalition wars more interesting and strategic rather than a mechanic to be abused or totally evaded?

Or could we not get some more ways to interact with the Revolution beyond playing whackamole for decades, perhaps have some method by which the reactionary forces could get an anti-revolution triggered modifier that undoes the majority of the Revolution's tedious and annoying effects by building up a bastion of reaction (e.g. schmooze the pope, invest in repression, and sacrifice development to kick out the revolutionaries).

There seems to be huge amounts of core game balance issues that mods have made a respectable dent in from time to time, yet content design is always focused on some random patch of clay that will not effect the overwhelming majority of games not played there.

I could be wrong, but it seems like a lot of manpower goes towards things of very limited impact for most games while core mechanics are imbalanced. When balance in core mechanics is addressed it seems like it is almost uniformly done through coding which in turn seems to limit what coding can be done for other issues.

I am surely missing something, but could you explain just a little bit about how you decide who focuses on what for patches? I certainly cannot make sense of it from my point of view.

• 8Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
What's sad is that this broken system is still what powers Imperator and CK3 MP (which are both dead as far as MP is concerned), and yet there seems to be no intention there to rollback. It's an overlooked issue because those games don't have as many people playing MP as EU4.

Reactions:
I remember the scandal about your QA department being shut down.
The QA Department that was shut down was on the Publishing side of Paradox and not the Development side. The people that were fired or relocated where responsible for communication between PDI (Paradox Interactive) Studios such as Hairbrained Schemes, Triumph Studios or Iceflake and external testing partners. The QA that works for PDS (Paradox Development Studios) projects such as EUIV, CK3 and Stellaris weren't affected by this.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Thank you for clarifying this and I'll edit my original post, as to not spread misinformation. I think other points in my post are valid though.

Reactions:
I have to say, this is really refreshing as a customer. The more of the dev diaries / forum interactions / this kind of thing I see, the less I mind spending my money with Paradox. (No, I'm not working for them, you cynics). I get that it's frustrating when things go wrong, but chin up - could be worse - you could be waiting for patches to Obsidian games.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
i will not stand for this!

4574f56524a4a38e70b4366755257671.jpg

• 2Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
I appreciate the apology, but this is really frustrating. I have a game that I've been playing off and on for the past couple months. I haven't loaded it since February 13th, so it shouldn't have been corrupted by being loaded into 1.30.5. Trying to continue just now, it tells me I cannot earn achievements any longer in the current version. Same for the old versions 1.30.4, 1.30.4 beta, and 1.30.5, even with the game not having been saved since the 13th. Backup file has the same problem. Something has really been messed up here. I'll just remain hopeful that I can load it and continue whenever a proper hotfix is released, I guess. Otherwise, I'm probably done with EU4 for good. At least Valheim looks interesting.

EDIT:
Hah. At last, after an hour an a half of experimenting, my final try of uninstalling, deleting all remaining EU4 content but my saves, and reinstalling starting from the 1.30.4 old version and not the current version on Steam, it looks like I might be able to earn achievements in my save again. Still annoying, though.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
The release of the recent Europa Universalis IV update has clearly been a mistake and has damaged a lot of the faith many of you have.

Don't worry Johan. I don't have any Faith in paradox left after 1.30 and your subsequent refusal to fix the bugs it introduced.

I won't purchase any more paradox products until you stop treating your costumers like shit...

Reactions:
Hello!

We just took the decision to revert back to 1.30.4 for now, as the quality was not what we expected.

We are looking into ways to fix the issues as soon as possible, and will get back to you when we have more news.

Sorry!

//EDIT//
The release of the recent Europa Universalis IV update has clearly been a mistake and has damaged a lot of the faith many of you have. We did not expect that this update would corrupt ironman games or significantly affect multiplayer, and clearly it should have gone through much more testing.

We are reverting the Nakama update, so that going forward people will be playing with the version of Europa Universalis IV that was live before this update, 1.30.4.

We cannot, of course, roll back your saved games if you have already had them corrupted by this update. No reversion can undo problems that have already occurred, but can prevent more people from encountering them.

Before we return to the Nakama update, we intend more extensive testing to better identify any additional problems, and will explore the feasibility of a public beta. We apologize for ruining the Europa Universalis IV experience that so many of you have been having.

Thank you

The multiplayer is the only reason why I play this game now. There's an entire community behind this part of the game, so we are very sensitive towards changes.

God Damn! Then I have to do a third Dutch Campaign, first was non-ironman, second one corrupted because this update. At least now I know that it isn't my fault.

Making a mistake happens to the best but hopefully it will not happen again.

Thanks for reporting Johan!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I had this stupid idea... I know this is not a dev issue, but please Paradox, fix the problems that exist in current EU 4 version and stop developing things. Close EU 4. It's done, stop milking it. Stop reworking 6 year old mechanics. There are still unsolved issues from 1.30 you don't even bother to fix. Issues that make a 7 year old product look like an alpha release.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.