My AI Heir changed culture and now I can't change it back. Please help

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

toegut

Captain
Sep 21, 2020
My AI player heir inherited England and created this Anglo-Castilian culture. Now I'm playing as him and I can't change him back to Castilian. My realm capital in Toledo and all my lands in Spain are Castilian but the decision "convert to local culture" is disabled because character's culture "can only be changed once". So how do I change it back? The Anglo-Castilian has less dev than the Castilian culture, because all my core lands are Castilian, so now innovations progress slower. Also the Anglo-Castilian has longbows tradition while all my MAAs and holdings are built up for heavy cav. Also now I can't make best friends. This is just stupid, am I stuck playing wrong culture for 50 years with this guy until I convert my next heir to Castilian?

This is just stupid, am I stuck playing wrong culture now for 50 years until I convert my next heir to Castilian?
Pretty much. You can get an event that allows you to switch to the culture of the person whose language you are learning but your heir should already know Iberian Vulgar so that shouldn't be an option for you.

Reactions:
Pretty much. You can get an event that allows you to switch to the culture of the person whose language you are learning but your heir should already know Iberian Vulgar so that shouldn't be an option for you.
Thanks but this is so stupid. The restriction to only change culture once in a lifetime should only apply to the player's decisions (to avoid exploits), not to the decision by the AI. Does it mean that I can't even build new buildings in my core lands because the Castilian has castle baileys and my culture doesnt? For buildings both liege and county culture need to have the innovation, right?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Does it mean that I can't even build new buildings in my core lands because the Castilian has castle baileys and my culture doesnt? For buildings both liege and county culture need to have the innovation, right?
What buildings you could build used to be tied to the county's culture but I don't if that's still true.

Thanks but this is so stupid.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but this is all your own fault. This is exactly why you shouldn't allow your heirs to be landed or run around on their own too much.
(although I'm guilty of breaking that "rule" myself)

Reactions:
@toegut

Honestly this seems like at least somewhat of a roleplay opportunity. He's the start of a whole new culture amongst the nobility, see if you can maybe salvage this or the like? Try to keep this Anglo-Castilian culture alive in some way even if you have some of your children become Castilian again?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm not trying to be a dick, but this is all your own fault. This is exactly why you shouldn't allow your heirs to be landed or run around on their own too much.
(although I'm guilty of breaking that "rule" myself)
my son was gonna be the heir and was unlanded, but then his brother died childless so he inherited England. So to avoid this stupid situation I would have to disinherit him right there and then.

@toegut

Honestly this seems like at least somewhat of a roleplay opportunity. He's the start of a whole new culture amongst the nobility, see if you can maybe salvage this or the like? Try to keep this Anglo-Castilian culture alive in some way even if you have some of your children become Castilian again?
I don't know, I was roleplaying the Empire of Hispania with cavalry MAAs (Don Quixote) and very Catholic (friends with the pope), England was kinda a periphery in my empire. Anglo-Castilian will still be alive in England, I just dont want it in my core lands in Spain, on succession I immediately transferred the English kingdom to my brother and departed to Toledo. I guess one thing I can use is the longbow traditions from the Anglo-Castilian to create a massive regiment of crossbows which can then be inherited by my heir even if he doesnt have the tradition.

Yeah, that sort of thing happens. It can be frustrating, but sometimes you just have to roll with it.