• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
cool-toxic said:
So did you do any changes to the province.csv since you uploaded it? If not I can begin importing it. :)

If i did then i have lost it. That uploaded version is all i have. Do you need to make any changes to it to ensure the straits will work? I don't quite understand how importing an edited province.csv might fix the straits but then i never have made a map.

The Swert said:
Personally i'm happy how it is. Afterall if you make any changes then its not MWATK anymore. I would like to see Kasperus's version working before any edits are made.

Why not improve the map before Cool-Toxic does all the work recompiling and releasing it? The map is very good overall, it's just that southern Italy needs to be improved. Especially if you want to make the map usable for the broader medieval period.

The trouble i find with editing the map is that no map can ever be perfect and different people will always want different changes. If we start by changing southern Italy then that will just open the floodgates for more changes.

In regards to your proposed changes, whilst it may be more historical, i don't think that Naples should be a city-state province. If you start making a city-state province for Naples then there could be dozens of other cities which deserve their own provinces like that.

Furthermore i think one of the appeals of Mwatk is that because it only features the Eastern Hemisphere it allows a similar number of provinces to other maps like WATK and MyMap without having to make the provinces tiny like those other maps. Perhaps this could be developed in the future so that it does have lots of smaller provinces, somewhat like CK, but if you just make one small province like Naples then it looks out of place.

Venice also is a tiny province on MWATK and Naples was of considerable importance in the medieval period. ;)

I think Kasperus did a tremendous job with MWATK and why not use it as a base to improve it further? Most regions are IMO fine as they are, but some definitely need improvements.

And I as well don't want a lot of tiny provinces all over the place. There are enough provinces now in most regions. Its just that historical accuracy needs to be improved in some places.

cool-toxic said:
Well I tried to recompile it with injecting the province.csv into it first. But that didn't help any.. So I think only Kasperus can do it with the original eu2map file..
Maybe he could send it to you. Did you try to PM him?
Anybody knows if straits only works if both provinces are cities or something similiar?
Not sure what you mean here. I don't think so but this may be tested.

The Swert said:
The trouble i find with editing the map is that no map can ever be perfect and different people will always want different changes. If we start by changing southern Italy then that will just open the floodgates for more changes.
On a general level, I couldn't agree more. Still, I think a case could be made in some special cases.
For instance I would've liked to have Orkney, Faroe, Greenland and North-Eastern Canada to model Viking exploration in the ninth and tenth centuries. Anyway, as for now we don't have a mapmaker, unless cool-toxic volunteers. ;)

Haven't tried PM Kasperus.

I did test it and it seems that no matter if the two provinces are colonized or not it does not wok.

I took a look at the map and there is alot of PTI between Japan and Iceland so there is enough room for it Third Angel.
I could do the map making, but then others need to do the province.csv cause I'll be working on RomE map by Elvain again so no spare time for that only map editing with Magellan and Photoshop. ;)

cool-toxic said:
Well I tried to recompile it with injecting the province.csv into it first. But that didn't help any.. So I think only Kasperus can do it with the original eu2map file..

Anybody knows if straits only works if both provinces are cities or something similiar?
I'm pretty sure it can be done with any eu2map file extracted from the mwatk version I provided. But you need to make sure that:
* province.csv is finalized before recompiling (that is seazones are flagged as such both in the terrain as in the naming columns)
* magellan will recreate ALL the adjacencies with the updated data in provinces.csv, which in my experience usually requires to mimage /i everything again after province.csv has been imported.

If those steps are followed straits ought to work correctly... in theory at least, since otherwise I have no clue how to fix the problem either.

I've just taken another look at the map. I suppose those changes to southern Italy wouldn't look too out of place. However to create Greenland you would need to extend to map northwards somewhat because Iceland sits at the top of the map although the map doesn't take up the whole area that its allowed so it can be done.
I'm assuming the 'Essex' province represents London? That's one thing thats always annoyed me about WATK, it had no province for London.

Can i ask what time period you think this map is for? I'm wondering about this mod i've been making which dates from 843 to 1337 on WATKABAOI ( hopefully a sort a prequel to AOI) because i could port it over to MWATK instead, or make two versions.

The Swert said:
I've just taken another look at the map. I suppose those changes to southern Italy wouldn't look too out of place. However to create Greenland you would need to extend to map northwards somewhat because Iceland sits at the top of the map although the map doesn't take up the whole area that its allowed so it can be done.
I'm assuming the 'Essex' province represents London? That's one thing thats always annoyed me about WATK, it had no province for London.
Better discuss these things once the straits are fixed in some way, so the map is playable. And if/when we have a mapmaker.
Can i ask what time period you think this map is for? I'm wondering about this mod i've been making which dates from 843 to 1337 on WATKABAOI ( hopefully a sort a prequel to AOI) because i could port it over to MWATK instead, or make two versions.
I think this map was originally made for MES, so that's 1150-1419. I, myself, am working on a 888-1291 mod. :)

cool-toxic said:
I'll try that this evening or tomorrow - got a big verbal test coming up in english. ;)
So, did you come to anything? Or are you still working on your english?

and I have plans to port CK on this map :)
unfortunately I don't know how to convert graphics (shields, flags etc) :(