• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AsdfeZxcas

Contrarian
12 Badges
Jun 21, 2013
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Darkest Hour
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
I was thinking about picking up CK2 on the next sale. Looking over the DLC list on Steam, it looked like Sword of Islam and Holy Fury are the ones that do the most. Everything else just felt like extra. I figure that these would give me Christians, Muslims, and Pagans alongside other content and would be the 'must have' DLCs. Ideally I wouldn't spend over $40 because I'm cheap like that. What DLCs do you think are must haves?

Way of Life, Conclave and Reaper's Due add something to every play through, and are always my top three recommendations. Legacy of Rome adds retinues, but most of the rest is fairly specific to certain cultures. Retinues are a pretty big thing though.

Monks and Mystics is fun as well, just because the societies add more things to do when you aren't at war. Some religions have access to way more societies than others though, so it really depends on what you play.

Holy Fury adds a wide range of things. Bloodlines are available to everyone. Most other things are aimed at Christians or pagans. (It is one of two that also unlock pagans).

Jade Dragon adds interaction with an off-map China. It also adds new reasons to go to war that are more broadly useful.

Horse Lords changes the nomads from tribal to their own set of mechanics (both for you and the AI). It can be worth having even if you don't play as nomadic, just so the AI is using it.

Having either Jade Dragon or Horse Lords enables the trade routes and silk road mechanics which are nice, though it depends on where you are playing how much you see them.

Sons of Abraham also adds a bunch of small things all over the place. They are mostly minor but there are a lot of them.

The others mostly enable you to play as specific religions or government types. Two add earlier start dates as well. Those you can grab when you want to try those specific areas, or ignore if you have no interest. (Some of those cover some of my favorite areas, I don't want to sound dismissive of them, but their utility very much depends on what things interest you.)

Sunset Invasion adds an invasion of Western Europe by Aztecs as a later game event/challenge. I don't have that one.

The Old Gods used to be the pagan DLC before Holy Fury. Now for pagans you can choose between playing them at their height (from the late 9th century on) or when they're already in decline. TOG is also the DLC for the Vikings, whereas Holy Fury is more for eastern European pagans or Africans. Unless you're really set on Vikings, HF is probably the better choice as it also adds lots of content for Catholics and other pagans.

The Dynasty Starter Pack on Steam is also a pretty good choice and gives you an additional bundle discount I think. Then add at least Conclave to it

I find it extremely difficult to answer that question, as that greatly depends on what you want from the game. Legacy of Rome, Old Gods and Horse Lords are great if you want to conquer the world. Way of Life, Sons of Abraham and Monks and Mystics are great if you like character interaction. Conclave is great if you like political challenges within your realm. Sword of Islam, Merchant Republic, and Rajas of India mostly allow you to play on different parts of the map.

Must have DLCs depend a lot on personal taste, but the one I feel comfortable recommending to everyone is Way of Life. Everybody likes it, it applies to every character you play, and it's cheap. You may just want to disable AI from using seduction focus in the game rules when starting a new game.

The second piece of advice I would give is not to neglect portrait packs. I looked down on them originally, but they actually add more to the game than I thought they would.

Must have's for me: Way of Life, Reaper's Due, Holy Fury, Conclave. The reason I love Conclave/Way of Life combo is due to the control you have over your character's attributes. Conclave lets you choose the specialization of your children, then with WoL you get to improve your attributes even more. Conclave also vastly improves laws and internal politics. Holy Fury is just packed with content and is already being put on sale. Reaper's due adds diseases and symptoms which was such a big part of medival Europe. Honorable mentions would be: Monks and Mystics, Charlemagne, Sons of Abraham, Jade Dragon.