• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I want to hear more about Mexican assistance to Republican Spain. If any nation can bugger up a military campaign for their allies better than Italy, it's probably Mexico - they're like the Italy of the new world ;)

Densleyites, however, would be most grateful. :D

I'm not entirely sure what I've just read, as ever, seeing as my knowledge of HoI is non-existent, but I will say that, also as ever, the update was very well written and presented. The "Densley style" home made map was indeed a highlight.

As for the game itself, I will simply stick to commenting that it seems like things are progressing well enough at the moment. I'm also very much looking forward to the next screening of the only authentic film of the war from Italy all spoken in Italian. :p

So you speak (a little) Italian? Very nice. Perhaps if you search the film on YouTube you can watch it ;)

I try to make the updates as devoid of game-technical things as possible, but sometimes it's sadly unavoidable. Screenshots are mighty useful, and explaining the Spanish Civil War to people who have seen it a million times in their games of HOI isn't very exciting either. I'd advise you to stay away from the next update, though... if it turns out the way I have it planned, it will include a lot of scary OOBs :p

I want to hear more about Mexican assistance to Republican Spain. If any nation can bugger up a military campaign for their allies better than Italy, it's probably Mexico - they're like the Italy of the new world ;)

:rofl:

México, the Italy of the New World. I like that one. Did they bugger up any military campaigns IRL? I must confess that I don't know all that much about Latin American history. Anyway, here's Wikipedia about the Mexican assistance:

Unlike the United States and major Latin American governments, such as the ABC Powers and Peru, the Mexican government supported the Republicans.[129][130] Mexico refused to follow the French-British non-intervention proposals,[129] furnishing $2,000,000 in aid and material assistance, which included 20,000 rifles and 20 million cartridges.[129]

Mexico's most important contributions to the Spanish Republic was its diplomatic help, as well as the sanctuary the nation arranged for Republican refugees, including Spanish intellectuals and orphaned children from Republican families. Some 50,000 took refuge, primarily in Mexico City, accompanied by $300 million in various treasures still owned by the Left.[131]

So you speak (a little) Italian? Very nice. Perhaps if you search the film on YouTube you can watch it ;)

Sì. Infatti, posso parlare un poco più di un poco Italiano. Ho studiato la lingua dal luglio scorsa. :)

I don't imagine the above sentence is perfetto, but it should read something along the lines of "Yes. In fact, I can speak a little more than a little Italian. I've studied the language since last July".

I try to make the updates as devoid of game-technical things as possible, but sometimes it's sadly unavoidable. Screenshots are mighty useful, and explaining the Spanish Civil War to people who have seen it a million times in their games of HOI isn't very exciting either. I'd advise you to stay away from the next update, though... if it turns out the way I have it planned, it will include a lot of scary OOBs :p

I'll turn up and offer some moral support – in much the same way that you faithfully comment on my each and every update despite knowing little of the subject matter. :p

General, your AAR sorta inspired me to install BICE again, and try playing as Italy. I noticed after winning my war against Ethiopa and demobing, my consumer goods req'd went from like 10 to 50! Even with the most efficient laws, my consumer goods is going between 35 and 45. My production allocation went from over 100 to now 50. I am seriously thinking, ending the war with Ethiopa no longer makes sense. I played till 1939, and realized, that 3 years, since August 36 (when I won the war) I have lost out on massive amounts of production since ending the war. I will no do it over again, and leave that war going until I plan to start a new one. The italian Vietnam if you will.

General, your AAR sorta inspired me to install BICE again, and try playing as Italy. I noticed after winning my war against Ethiopa and demobing, my consumer goods req'd went from like 10 to 50! Even with the most efficient laws, my consumer goods is going between 35 and 45. My production allocation went from over 100 to now 50. I am seriously thinking, ending the war with Ethiopa no longer makes sense. I played till 1939, and realized, that 3 years, since August 36 (when I won the war) I have lost out on massive amounts of production since ending the war. I will no do it over again, and leave that war going until I plan to start a new one. The italian Vietnam if you will.

Yes, that's an unfortunate side-effect of how HOI3 handles war laws. The best way to play any nation optimally is to type in the noneutrality cheat right off the bat and declare war on Tibet (and I must admit having done so myself a lot). I believe my consumer goods requirement was around 40, or at least it was at the end of this update. 40 IC for about 1000 days (almost 3 years) means 40 000 ICdays, which could have built me 88 Infantry brigades at 455 ICdays each. That's quite the army I'm missing out on, but alas, one of my house rules is to play historically ;)

One advice I can give you, apart from keeping Ethiopia around, is to join the Axis as soon as possible. The moment you join their faction, you'll get a far lower consumer goods demand. Have you played a bit of WW2 already? I just did a test run yesterday, and damn, it's a lot harder than in vanilla.

Yes, that's an unfortunate side-effect of how HOI3 handles war laws. The best way to play any nation optimally is to type in the noneutrality cheat right off the bat and declare war on Tibet (and I must admit having done so myself a lot). I believe my consumer goods requirement was around 40, or at least it was at the end of this update. 40 IC for about 1000 days (almost 3 years) means 40 000 ICdays, which could have built me 88 Infantry brigades at 455 ICdays each. That's quite the army I'm missing out on, but alas, one of my house rules is to play historically ;)

One advice I can give you, apart from keeping Ethiopia around, is to join the Axis as soon as possible. The moment you join their faction, you'll get a far lower consumer goods demand. Have you played a bit of WW2 already? I just did a test run yesterday, and damn, it's a lot harder than in vanilla.

Well I did join the Axis actually in mid 38 I believe, and at the time I couldn't remember if they would auto-drag me into the war with Poland or not, so I saved, then accepted, then sort of let the game run at max speed to see what would happen. I didn't get dragged into the war which is good. However while Germany dealt with Poland quickly, it seemed to take far too long to DOW the low countries, and didn't beat France till late 1940. It asked me to join just as it was on the borders with Paris and I declined, as I was just doing a test run anyway, and planned to revert to my save. Then some months later I was suddenly at war with Yugoslavia and Greece. I am not sure how it happend, if I missed the event because I was letting the game run at the top speed or if Germany DOW'd Greece? I found it so weird because Yugolsavia was already an Axis member after Germany invited it, and then suddenly we are at war, and I got no warning whatsoever, not even a popup.

So just be careful of the Greece and Yugo alliance, even if one is part of the axis they still both end up at war with you.

Also yeah, I did play the BICE mod, last version quite a bit, but only as GER and rage quit after failing a few times during Barbarossa. (it's very difficult in BICE).

It asked me to join just as it was on the borders with Paris and I declined, as I was just doing a test run anyway, and planned to revert to my save. Then some months later I was suddenly at war with Yugoslavia and Greece. I am not sure how it happend, if I missed the event because I was letting the game run at the top speed or if Germany DOW'd Greece? I found it so weird because Yugolsavia was already an Axis member after Germany invited it, and then suddenly we are at war, and I got no warning whatsoever, not even a popup.

So just be careful of the Greece and Yugo alliance, even if one is part of the axis they still both end up at war with you.

Also yeah, I did play the BICE mod, last version quite a bit, but only as GER and rage quit after failing a few times during Barbarossa. (it's very difficult in BICE).

This sounds like the game ran nearly historically except the part where you declined. The DOW on Yugoslavia comes from a coup, Greece might come along, the BICE presumes you as Italy already as historical are at war with Greece.
Check your popup settings that they are as you want.

The Barbarossa challenge is still there, except you can now change the difficulty a lot more, don't expect to win first try unless you set it on very easy, learn from mistakes and try again, I think I was on my 3rd try before I won ... in '43.

School... The last medieval torture...

I get up early. I have one nice song to underline that :)

And yes, I get up in approximatelly six hours and twenty minutes :wacko:

Well, I'm still unsure Marshall. All I'm saying that update is just a compoment of an AAR and one cannot lose as a major, unless he's Admiral Baby...

Seriously though, I wonder how you'll fare. I hope you got better in the game, as in the very first HPP MP game you've been constantly canceling all my Soviet IC build :p

Bleh. School. :mad:

In other news, I don't like OOBs. They confuzzle me.

Sì. Infatti, posso parlare un poco più di un poco Italiano. Ho studiato la lingua dal luglio scorsa. :)

I don't imagine the above sentence is perfetto, but it should read something along the lines of "Yes. In fact, I can speak a little more than a little Italian. I've studied the language since last July".

I'll turn up and offer some moral support – in much the same way that you faithfully comment on my each and every update despite knowing little of the subject matter. :p

What a shame, givin lesson of italian on a thread about delusions of grandeur of the fascist Italy.
The shame is on me, and i'm being ironic.

Should be something like: Si'. Infatti, posso parlare un po' di piu' di un po(co) di Italiano. Ho studiato la lingua dal luglio scorso.

Italian language its just a nightmare on top of the grammatic, sintax all the others fancy words there's the difference between the right way and how everyone actually talk.
I bet on finding somebody that actually now italian and talk italian, for every region there's a different dialect.

Im exaggerating but its just to give the idea.

Still thank god i'm not italian, i speak italian and i was born in italy (not quite but well....) im actually from trieste.
From the former (and hopefully again ) Free Territory of Trieste, so no need to refrain on insulting italy/italians if you feel the urge. I speak italian and i have an italian culture but i'm not one.

Still Playing italy in Hoi3 is awesome, when you make it you really feel like you've accomplished something.

Subbed. Thought this AAR was old and unfinished. Until I looked at the date :p.