• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lightbanee

Colonel
44 Badges
Apr 28, 2019
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
I'm playing as Poland usually focus on my part of the map but after looking around a bit I noticed something odd going on, yeah France was conquered by Muslims lol

1638241298908.png

The AI in my experience is awful at pulling off the Reconquista, I've only seen the Spanish thrones united once, every other time they're backstabbing each other and splitting on partition before anyone can get all 3, which makes it rather easy for the Muslim kingdoms to push north.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The AI in my experience is awful at pulling off the Reconquista, I've only seen the Spanish thrones united once, every other time they're backstabbing each other and splitting on partition before anyone can get all 3, which makes it rather easy for the Muslim kingdoms to push north.

When I do that start date, I see Spain being unified far more often then not

• 1Like
Reactions:
Backstabbing was the main catalyst for Iberian Unification, to be fair. It's just that the AI isn't sufficiently backstabby enough.

Seems believable. Given that I have had games where the Abbasid's launched a jihad for West Frankia and won from an 867 start date, nothing surprises me anymore.

I think part of the problem is the balancing between kingdoms in Iberia; when the Ummayads split, the lord of Andalusia is usually strong enough to easy conquer his brothers, but when Asturias splits, they're too weak to fight each other and ward off Andalusia.

Reactions:
Good for the Muslims, frankly. I always like to see them do well.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Good for the Muslims, frankly. I always like to see them do well.
Yeah the most boring games are when Catholicism and Orthodoxy stay big or worse, grow. Not very interesting or fun.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I think part of the problem is the balancing between kingdoms in Iberia; when the Ummayads split, the lord of Andalusia is usually strong enough to easy conquer his brothers, but when Asturias splits, they're too weak to fight each other and ward off Andalusia.
I usually actually do 1066 starts, like I said earlier, I've only ever seen the AI manage the unite the spanish thrones once.

The AI is quite simply not up to the task. I'm not sure if Catholicism still is chronically stuck in low fervour, but that probably have a role too.

But the main reason is probably that the king of France was a 1-county king. Or just a weak king. Unlike CK2, where vassal levies mattered, they don't actually here. Which mean that although the 1-county king can raise a portion of vassal levies, they will always lose to.... any force with a handful of retinues in it. The king can probably not even afford many retinues either. Thus, as the king of France had few soldiers and being targeted by Holy Wars, he caved to the relentless push and converted to Islam. Thereby removing the religious casus belli from Islamic countries.

This wouldn't happen if the vassals contributed some amount of retinues - especially in defensive wars. Moreover, while I can agree with the strategy of converting if your religion is small or your realm is small and isolated. I really don't think that large countries should escape wars via conversion.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Imbalance in de-jure. The Christian kingdoms in nothwestern Iberia is too small where Andalusia is alot bigger.

The latter does not split on top-tier on succession while the christians do.

There should be a decision to mold noth-west iberia into one kingdom, if you hold them all to stand a chans to defend against Andalusia

Imbalance in de-jure. The Christian kingdoms in nothwestern Iberia is too small where Andalusia is alot bigger.

There should be a decision to mold noth-west iberia into one kingdom, if you hold them all to stand a chans to defend against Andalusia
Anadlusia absolutely splits on top tier succession, what are you talking about? There's 3 kingdoms under the Umayyads in the 867 start and there's no kingdoms active in the Muslim portions of Spain in 1066. And at least in 1066 there is a decision to fuse the 3 kingdoms into 1, I don't know about 867.

Unless you can form Hispania in your first generation its going to split up because of Confederate partition

Anadlusia absolutely splits on top tier succession, what are you talking about? There's 3 kingdoms under the Umayyads in the 867 start and there's no kingdoms active in the Muslim portions of Spain in 1066. And at least in 1066 there is a decision to fuse the 3 kingdoms into 1, I don't know about 867.
Unless you can form Hispania in your first generation its going to split up because of Confederate partition

1066:
1638874195765.png

867:
1638874469150.png

Compared to the muslim de-jure kingdoms, the christian ones are very small. Andalucia is slighly smaller than I thought, agreed, but still the size of ... 3 or 4 small catholic kingdoms. Badajoz and Valencia is also bigger than the cristians

I´m not saying this is wrong, just that it´s the reason AI christianity is compleatly unable to hold on against the larger muslim realms, especially after succession, when a catholic ruler can muster less 1000 men from it´s dejure kingdom.

The simple solution would be dividing Andalucia into 2 dejure kingdoms, Toledo takes Cordoba and Toledo, leaving Andalucia in Sevilla and Granada. Possibly moving Muncia to Andalucia, at least in 867.

I´m no historian, know nothing about historical de jure in Iberia. But I think this is the easiest solution unless we want railroading events etc. In my mind, player experiace that leans towards close to historical outcomes atleast 6/10 runs has precidence. But there existed a muslim "Taifa" in Toledo in 11th century.