• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I saw Danny Kay! :D Love the pictures and descriptions, Range. :) The Irish Mafia!

I saw Danny Kay! :D Love the pictures and descriptions, Range. :) The Irish Mafia!

I had hoped everyone would notice and enjoy all the Hollywood stars. I did something similar a while back with Transylvania. But, the bits in Munster will last throughout the AAR. I plan on posting an actual update for now on...one tomorrow night (EST). Also, I'm going to try to do one, once, or twice a week. It should be fun.

Munster

29dh5b4.jpg

Entry 16

2po2ku8.jpg

23 February 2014

“Oh, really, Robert,” said the professor soon breaking into chuckle.

2rlz134.jpg

“Were you there?” asked Robert in reply. “Well, either was I…all you’ve got to go by is that book. I have what my family handed down to me. Who was the author anyway?”

“I don’t actually know.” Said, Professor Charles before turning to the first page of the book and reading this inscription. “I Jacomo, the famed entertainer known throughout Europe, was initially granted the great charge of writing down the meteoric history of Munster’s rise to great prominence in the world.” Looking up at Robert, he then asked, “What do you truly know about this time, and these people.”

“Only what was passed down to me…that these were evil men…with black hearts, void of any human decency, and they showed absolutely no charity to any human being what’s so ever. Why, they would even turn their own mother into the streets if it served them a purpose.”

BACK IN TIME

2 January 1456

Everyone of the group was taking a liking to Everett.

Andre went as far as to say, “I like Everett…can we keep him?”

“What are you serious?” said Pat. “The man has an important job with the king.”

“What exactly do you do for the king, Everett,” asked Bellamy. “If you don’t mind me asking?”

“I’m the close advisor to the king.”

“Is that steady work?” asked Allen Jenkins.

“Oh, my yes. I have had the privilege of being chief adviser to three kings, prior to Tadhg IV. He’s the fourth. And, I hope to serve many more kings. It’s a job I’ll have for the rest of my life.”

“Taking a close look at you I can tell…frankly, you haven’t got much time left,” joke Red.

“Why, thank you,” said Everett not realizing what Red meant, before the meaning dawned on him. “What?

Red’s comment drew a lot of scowls and words of disproval from the others.

“I’m just saying…I like the old guy.”

“If none of you mind me asking,” said Everett. “what exactly does everyone do at the Boy’s club?”

“Since you walked through he door, nothing,” said the judge. “Absolutely nothing.”

“You know Everett, you should join our boy’s club,” said Bellamy.

“Join,” said Everett, but, what exactly does one do in the boy’s club?”

It was Lynnie that explained the reason for the boy’s club. He said, “We gather for many reasons…but, most important we discuss the countries needs during certain troubled as well as good times that face our people…and, through our discussions we come up with a correct course of action that we all come to agree on.”

“That’s exactly what Range did…the younger Range of course. We spent countless hours going over the possible direction of the kingdom. Often,” said Everett, blushing. I got the credit for Range’s advise.” He soon turned soured in remembering,” of course I also caught the blame…like making Connaught a vassal. His thinking was…Connaught would supply the kingdom with additional forces in our hour of need. But, up to now, their support has been greatly lacking.”

“Correct me if I’m wrong,” said Cap. “But, it sounds like you miss the younger Range’s input.”

“That’s quite so.”

“Then, we can be of service to you,” said Big Frank. “You should join the boy’s club.”

“My thought, exactly,” said Cap, with a wink to Big Frank.

“That sounds great,” said Little Frank. “We need someone in the inside.”

All the boys, except for one of the boys agreed. “Before you all go a slapping yourselves on the back,” said the Judge, “Did any of you genius’ ever think what will happen when he kicks off…we’ll have to do this all over again.”

Jacomo then spoke up, “Of course, maybe Range can arrange to have Walcott bring our friend here up line…and, then send him back to us so he’ll be just like us…semi immortal.”

“Oh, no…I’m not doing it.”

Spence then raised his right hand, and said, “All in favor, raise your right hand.”

Everyone, except Range and the Judge raised his hand.

“Aw, look,” said Jack, with a wide smile. “It’s unanimous.”

“Jack,” Range began, “did you notice that I didn’t vote?”

“Oh, I’m sorry Range. I didn’t see you with my bad eye and all.”

“Well, Neither did I,” said the Judge, peeved. “And, I’m standing right front of you. “And, I don’t plan to vote in favor…because there’s too many in this club already.”

Jean then reentered the Inn from outside, bringing a young couple in from the cold. “What are you mugs up to…no good I bet?”

1588glf.jpg

Later, in the meeting, Pat brings up an important point. “In order for Munster to survive and grow we have to go to the new world. But, to really lay it on the world we have to get there as early as possible.”

“But, there’s the problem,” said Cap. “We can’t raise enough diplomatic points to secure everything we need quickly enough to make a difference due our king’s sorrowful diplomatic ability.”

“Unless, we can recruit a diplomatic advisor to supplement our needs,” said Jean.

“But, that cost ducats for upkeep,” said Red. “How do we pay for the upkeep?”

“It’s early,” said Lynnie. “It won’t cost too much. I checked. Of course there is the cost to buy his services…but, once we have him working for us the cost won’t be much…maybe 1.2 ducats a month.”

abo5lz.jpg

This shouldn’t have been necessary,” said the Judge.

n4a22t.jpg

“Now, see what we’ve gone and done,” said the Judge, “we’re losing money each month.”

avlo5x.jpg

Thankfully, the lowering of the monthly income was only temporary. Quickly, additional funds were gained through the lowering of the maintenance cost for the land forces, and placing some of our light ships under the command of an admiral to help increase the monthly income.

“Say Boss, we have two diplomats,” said Lynnie. “Who’s the second one seeing?”

“England,” replied Range.

2m31n9v.jpg

“I hope it doesn’t mean we’ll try to ally with them.” Said Spence. “Because if it does, a lot of the boys might not understand.”

Last edited:
Your coffers are somewhat dry in their intake! I'm always conflicted between the problem of hiring advisers at the hefty expense of income, especially when you play as minors. Of course, taking someone who helps improve your treasury income makes the choice easier.

You can never have enough money! I am always amazed at how well so many other "Great Powers" are doing, especially when I am or become a great power... I take a look into the treasury department and often get depressed at what I find! :p That's a lot of inflation too! :eek:

That advisor may not have been the best...:( A good update anyhow, and did I hear Jacomo, the great minstrel? :D One of Danny Kay's greatest roles.

Your coffers are somewhat dry in their intake! I'm always conflicted between the problem of hiring advisers at the hefty expense of income, especially when you play as minors. Of course, taking someone who helps improve your treasury income makes the choice easier.

You can never have enough money! I am always amazed at how well so many other "Great Powers" are doing, especially when I am or become a great power... I take a look into the treasury department and often get depressed at what I find! :p That's a lot of inflation too! :eek:

In this case...I wish there was an adviser who could help with the treasury...AIs have a great advantage.

That advisor may not have been the best...:( A good update anyhow, and did I hear Jacomo, the great minstrel? :D One of Danny Kay's greatest roles.

I've used Danny Kaye before, and will again...he was a great entertainer...and Humanitarian.

As for that adviser I picked; he was the best of the terrible lot. I need to get to the new world as quickly as possible.

MUNSTER

Entry 17
2po2ku8.jpg

28 February 2014

16ad3m0.jpg

Professor Charles, turned to Robert and asked, “Besides the death of your kin, what else do you have against these people?”

“They were evil people, professor,” replied Robert.

“They were what?”

“Well, for one thing; they would close down the Inn, which was nothing more than a den of iniquity.”

Professor Charles laughed.

“It’s true, I tell you. Late at night, they would throw wild parties, and perform secret ceremonies.”

“I Can’t wait to hear this one,” said Professor Charles.

29dh5b4.jpg

Back to Old Munster​

After bringing in the couple, Jean learned they weren’t married.

fcl892.jpg

Betty and Eddie (soon to be husband and wife)

“Maybe we’ve said too much all ready,” said Eddie.

“You see, we’re from Connaught; our families are very poor,” said Betty.

“And, we came here to make a new start...they don’t even know we’re here.”

“There’s bad blood between our clans.”

21mayiq.jpg

Jack moved over to the couple, “The kitchen’s open...can I make you two lovebirds something to eat?”

The couple said, “That would be swell,” and “thank you.”

After excusing herself from the couple, Jean moved over to Pat. After speaking briefly with him, she returned with Pat to speak with the couple.

25hh79v.jpg

Pat

Pat sat down at the table with the couple. “I hear you two want to be married.

“More than anything in the world,” replied the couple.

“Are the two of you Catholic?”

“Why, yes...of course,” they replied.

“Then, you’re in Luck...I’m a Catholic priest,” said Pat.

“That’s great!” said the couple.

295g550.jpg

Spence

Spence came to stand behind Pat, knowing what was going on. “Hey, not so fast.”

“What?” asked Pat.

“Why don’t you give the kids a break,” said Spence. “I’m also a Catholic priest, or have you forgotten that fact.”

20f7wyf.jpg

The Judge

“Hey, wait just one dog gone minute,” said the Judge. “I can married them, just as well as either of you two can.” The judge then turned to the couple, and smiled broadly. “I’m a judge.”

The marriage went off without a hitch...the couple had Pat, Spence, and the Judge marry them...and, it was all legit.

Afterwards, there was a grand party. Of course, the Inn was closed to the public.

As for wedding parties go, I suppose it got a little wild. In one instance, the bride found herself, while seated in a chair, being hoisted up and carried about the room. At times, they even passed her off, chair and all to other members of the boy’s club to be carried about the room.

“I sure hope they don’t drop Betty,” said the Eddie, nervously. “She might get a concussion, and forgot we’re married.”

“Oh, don’t fret the small stuff,” advised the Judge. “You just got married...there’s years ahead of you.” Eddie just stared at the Judge, wondering what he meant.

“But, I still would want her in one piece,” Eddie said, meekly.

9 February 1456 – 15 February 1458

The main reason for the boys club was of course to allow the boys a forum in which to discuss the making of the country.

2qnbptu.jpg

“That’s a question that’ll plague mankind as long as the pulpit wants to keep the military in place,” said Jean. “Wasn’t it to keep the knights from attacking villages?”

“Yeah,” said Jack, “After the Vikings stop pillaging, and settled down. The knights that fought the Vikings, got bored and attacked villages instead. To stop the Knights, the church showed them some old religious bones…and, told the knights if they didn’t behave the spirits of the martyrs would come after them. They pretty much stopped the knights, and everyone else for that matter.”

“What?” Red asked Jack. “What kind of malarkey are handing Jean?”

“It’s true…it’s the gospel truth.”

“Oh, go on.”

ek2otd.jpg

The ability of building a marketplace, was a far cry from building one. But, the time fast approaching.

“There are two essential building that must be performed at the earliest time…one, marketplaces for trade, two, chapels for taxes and the ability to expand our military force limit,” said Big Frank. “If anything, we should rob Peter to pay Paul to get it done.”

kej9sh.jpg

Another point the boys discussed was the matter of Alliances. Everyone was in agreement that in no way shape or form, should Munster ally themselves with England. “It just doesn’t make sense,” said Allen Jenkins. “Here we are trying our best to kick England out of Ireland, and keep them out. Why would we join up with them?”

“Our intention should never be to become an ally of England,” said Range. “All we’re doing now is gaining some good will until we can kick them in the pants,”

“How about, France,” said Little Frank.

“Sure,” said Cap, “The French hate the English. We should ally with them.”

“So, all in favor, of Munster reaching out to France” said Pat, raising his hand, “raise your right hand.” He smiled in seeing the over whelming acceptance, and said, “Good, no need to go further. “Everett, do you think you can convince our king that’s it’s in the best interest of the country to improve his kingdom’s relation with France.”

“I can think that can be arranged,” Everett said, before taking a puff on his cigar. He looked to the Lynnie beside him and asked, “What do you call these again?”

“Cigar,” replied Lynnie.

“Delightful.”

Lynnie then coughed from the smoke, because he didn’t smoke as all but one didn’t.

“He sort of reminds me of a chimney,” said Jack, commenting on Everett’s puffing on the cigar.

2hpho8z.jpg

When word reached the boys, each and every one of them were up and arms.

Bellamy said, “The young man is no more a powermonger than we are. It’s just a plot to discredit our king.”

“But, what do we do?’ Asked Andre.

Bellamy didn’t waste a moment before answering, “We find the individual, convict him, and hang him. Otherwise, we stand to spend some diplomatic power (100 points) in accepting the claim as truth.”

"What, does there have to an order to hanging him...better yet, why don't we just hang him, and save us the bother of a trial?" Asked the Judge.

Red then became curious, “Hey, where did Lucas go. He was here only a moment ago. You know, I think he was the one that took out that official Talbot. You know the one that gave the poison to Robert MaCauliffe.

Last edited:
Nothing is worst than events whose only options are to lose stability (or an incredibly high amount of gold ducats), especially when you had just spent 100+ ADM points to gain stability only to have an event fire causing you to lose that stability a month later and make you feel like you just wasted all your ADM points!

Hahaha (laughing at me), in the span of 3 months I once went from +3 stability to 0 stability! Plus, from your treasury intake last update, -1 stability likely affected your income even worse! :eek:

I agree, such a view of the soul's final judgment is certainly heretical! And it looks like someone wants to buddy up with the French! :cool:

Nothing is worst than events whose only options are to lose stability (or an incredibly high amount of gold ducats), especially when you had just spent 100+ ADM points to gain stability only to have an event fire causing you to lose that stability a month later and make you feel like you just wasted all your ADM points!

Hahaha (laughing at me), in the span of 3 months I once went from +3 stability to 0 stability! Plus, from your treasury intake last update, -1 stability likely affected your income even worse! :eek:

I agree, such a view of the soul's final judgment is certainly heretical! And it looks like someone wants to buddy up with the French! :cool:

Yeah, the down movement of stability due to pop ups with no choices are a pain. Then, the popup with the rise of stability feels good, especially as I've adopted a level where I try not to bring stability up to three by use of diplomatic power...too expensive. I try to stay between zero and two...so as to not to lose two much income, as well as for other purposes. That way I can most always take advantage of the popup with the rise of stability. Aw, the French...they can a blessing as a ally, or a mill stone around the neck with their wars.

Aw, the French...they can a blessing as a ally, or a mill stone around the neck with their wars.

The worst is once you have fought a war and are recovering manpower and someone asks you to join their war! :glare:

Well, being in Ireland, I would join French Wars (if France looks like it will win by itself) since you and the prospective enemy are so far separated. Sometimes I just join a war but do absolutely nothing when the war is half way across the map where I have no strategic interests - but I would otherwise like to preserve that alliance and retain the prestige. Well, unless France and England go to war...

The worst is once you have fought a war and are recovering manpower and someone asks you to join their war! :glare:

Well, being in Ireland, I would join French Wars (if France looks like it will win by itself) since you and the prospective enemy are so far separated. Sometimes I just join a war but do absolutely nothing when the war is half way across the map where I have no strategic interests - but I would otherwise like to preserve that alliance and retain the prestige. Well, unless France and England go to war...

Having allies at times can be a hazard to your life, especially when two of your allies collide...and, the wrong one asks you to join them against the stronger ally.

Munster

Entry 18

16ad3m0.jpg

7 March 2014

Professor Charles was finishing up a lecture, pausing to look about the room to all his students. “I can see each of you are slowly edging toward the door, eager to begin your weekend. “However, before this class will end I want to put one question to all of you. The question is can one man make a different to the growth of a nation…who’s contribution was so instrumental in the rise of prominence of a nation like Munster, yet be forgotten in the annals of history? I want a discussion on this very point on Monday…and, I expect to hear some valid point form each and every one of you. Get on with yourselves., and have a good weekend.

2po2ku8.jpg

29dh5b4.jpg

Back to Old Munster

3 March - 9 September 1459

Range and Spence frequently had private heart to heart chats. At times, I was privy to what they spoke about. On one occasion, the two friends were on the same side on a topic which dealt with maybe the reason for the boy's club being started.

295g550.jpg

Spence

"You know," began Spence, "the boys are going to get wise that there isn't a pot of gold at the end of rainbow here in Ireland."

"I guess, then, I'll have to appeal to their Irish pride," said Range.

"That will work, at least until we get to the new world ... then, all bets are off."

"What about you Spence?"

"Like I told you, I'll stick with you as long as you don't make a wrong move."

I didn't think bad of what either of two men shared ...I understood from the offset that men and women are mere mortals ... playing on a stage ... and, believe most heartedly that most people are patriots when times of crisis arise.

"What do you think Jacomo?" asked Range.

"If you will excuse me gentlemen ... I didn't mean to eavesdrop. But if you ask me ... I believe Ireland is bigger than any of us. In fact, the reason for any of us being is grander than life itself."

2yjx4sg.jpg

“Okay,” said Spence, “Why?”

Range turned to Everett, “Why don’t you explain?”

Everett was surprised, as if it wasn’t only his idea. “Me?”

“All right,” said Range, “I’ll explain. We need more Diplomatic points for our navy to grow stronger, extend our navy range. Our ultimate goal is to go to the new world, new need more research.”

Everyone agreed.

14ifqcz.jpg

Debate was fierce over what to choose.

2ypntq9.jpg

Navy was still a hot issue.

29m3wk4.jpg

2epmyky.jpg

Range

Finally, Range stood up. “Everyone has a good suggestion. But, no one here has come up with our true need…Exploration. What’s our main course of action besides protecting Munster?”

15n9cw1.jpg

Red

“Making money,” replied Red.

“And, what’s the best way to make money?” Asked Range, before pausing. “Colonization, that’s what. We need an early start…and, we have an edge on every European country…we know what’s out there. And, because of that…I don’t want any other country to take our land…from the Eastern seaboard, across what was Canada, and to the south as far as we can reach into Mexico, and Caribbean.

20f7wyf.jpg

The Judge

“What about the West Coast?” Asked the Judge.

Range smiled, and said “that too.”

9i5t2x.jpg

Jean

“We’ll probably have to do a lot of fighting,” said Jean, sadly reflecting.

Red's eyes gleamed over the prospect, “Well, count me…even just for the gold in dar hills.”

“That’s quite a tall order,” said Jack.

5b8qvt.jpg

Jacomo

“Is that all you care about, Red?” asked Jacomo.

“Yeah, It is…when you have nothing, except holes in your pockets,” said Red.

what's been proposed is quite a tall order…especially when I have to pick up from here--as the screenshots from this point on don’t exist (They’re gone). Still, I'm in this to the end. (I've had more problems with this journey-I'm cursed I tell you. Maybe someone is trying to tell me something)

Last edited:
Exploration ideas = Colonization! :cool:

Of course, sometimes I have trouble picking ideas depending on the nation I am playing (occasionally I will not chose one for sometime afterward until I am sure what I want to do) - and at other times I really regret the idea group I have chosen (hindsight is 20-20 right?). But with Ireland, I suppose exploration is a great first (or possibly second choice) seeing that you will almost certainly venture to America to build the Irish Empire! ;)

Exploration ideas = Colonization! :cool:

Of course, sometimes I have trouble picking ideas depending on the nation I am playing (occasionally I will not chose one for sometime afterward until I am sure what I want to do) - and at other times I really regret the idea group I have chosen (hindsight is 20-20 right?). But with Ireland, I suppose exploration is a great first (or possibly second choice) seeing that you will almost certainly venture to America to build the Irish Empire! ;)

I had to walk around for a while and really consider the choice...However, considering the fact I want all of the continental United States and Canada...Exploration was the best choice...who knows maybe I can beat Spain and Portugal to the new world.

MUNSTER

15 March, 2014

2po2ku8.jpg

Entry 19

16ad3m0.jpg

Professor Charles addressed his class on that Monday, but he didn’t get the response as he had hoped. Oh, they tried even and came up with some valid thoughts. However, what he hoped for was some connection with the man known as Range.

Oh, he had Robert of course, but he was proving to be no help. Instead he had become a hindrance with his constant display of hatred of the man Range…Family feud and all.

What Charles needed was to understand the inner workings of the man. To accomplish that he needed to know the man personally, or at least speak to someone who’s family knew him.

Then, on the morning of the 15th, Professor Charles had an unexpected visitor.

1ggih3.jpg

“Relax,” said Range, “I was just admiring your, our map.”

upxxv.jpg

Professor Charles

“What are you babbling on about?” asked Charles, indignant over the accusation. “That map is my property.”

Range then carefully, loosened the corner of the map from the holder.

“What are you doing?” Asked Charles, afraid for his map. “That’s a very important, and valuable relic.”

“Come closer.” Said Range.

Charles moved, slowly and carefully toward Range and the map. He stared at some writing on the corner of the back side of the map. After the first glance at the written, he could hardly believe his eyes. So, he moved closer to the writing.

The writing was in pen. It read, Property of Range, Marshal of the Munster military, 23rd of December 1699.

“It was a Christmas gift from the boys.”

“The boy’s club?”

“That’s right.”

“And, just who might you be?”

“What, you can’t guess? I’m Range.”

“You’re a lunatic.”

“Look…you’ve been searching for answers about Range…well, here I am, standing right in front of you.”

“That can’t be…you’d have to be over four hundred years old.”

“If you need proof…read me something from your history book about Munster.”

“All right, I’ll play along, although I don’t know why.” Charles open a history and found an entry. “Here’s something I’ve never understood. He read, “In May of 1460, under Range’s request Munster entered into a strategy marriage with England.”

Range remained motionless for a moment, as he reached back to the meeting at the boy’s club.

29dh5b4.jpg

23 May 1460

“I think it’s time,” said Range, “that we forgo the idea of a strategy marriage with England. It sends a wrong message.”

All the boys and Jean agreed, with a reveling cheer.

14t78mo.jpg

Spence

“Good move, Range.”

o0vseg.jpg

Back in 15 March 2014

“Check the same entry in your book again,” Range told Charles, “and, see if it hasn’t changed.”

“What?” Charles then checked the same entry, but it wasn’t there. It had been replaced with the words, “It was for a short time that Munster seeked a strategic marriage with England. But, all that ended when Range addressed the boy’s club…and, said “I have good word from up line that a marriage between us and England would send the wrong message.”

Charles then looked up from his book, and stared at Range.

“Keep a close eye on our map, maybe it’ll change as well.”

Now, with my ARRs “Knights of St. John (EU3)” drawing to an close, and “Poland (EU1)” just completed, I hope to do two posts a week for Munster…with hopes that game play allows. Playing time is being curtailed.

Last edited:
“Good move, Range.”

I always like that quote but with my name inserted when I'm playing chess with my friends! :p

Now, with my ARRs “Knights of St. John (EU3)” drawing to an close, and “Poland (EU1)” just completed, I hope to do two posts a week for Munster…with hopes that game play allows. Playing time is being curtailed.

So many AARs at once! :eek: Just like me! :D Of course, time devotion is very important so - when this picks up to biweekly, should get more interesting especially since I'm really curious to know how you got North America all to yourself if your continuation follows the map post you gave earlier! :)

I always like that quote but with my name inserted when I'm playing chess with my friends! :p

So many AARs at once! :eek: Just like me! :D Of course, time devotion is very important so - when this picks up to biweekly, should get more interesting especially since I'm really curious to know how you got North America all to yourself if your continuation follows the map post you gave earlier! :)

I can't wait to see how the game develops, as well.

Last edited:
16 March 2014

29dh5b4.jpg

Entry 20

16ad3m0.jpg

Professor Charles

It was a quiet Sunday evening. Professor Charles was alone in his study going over some of his writings. His granddaughter had gone to bed hours before. Well, he was alone, and it was quiet until they began to show up, one at a time.

1ggih3.jpg

Range

“Good evening, Professor.”

“Oh, I’m glad you’ve returned.”

“You seem relieved.”

“Frankly, I had been thinking that I have lost my mind. However, if you are who you say you are,” said Charles, “there’s so much I want to ask…to know.”

“Well, then ask away,” said Range.

“First, it would be the warfare…Munster’s victory over Connaught. So little is known of it…”

“Munster’s army,” said Range, “at the time wasn’t much more than unruly mobs. The King’s force was mainly his guards…no more eighty to ninety men. The rest were the noblemen and their tenants. The mob as they were, tenant farmers had little to fight with then their clubs, or farming tools, and fists.”

“What of the mercenaries…”

“Mercenaries…Gaelic if they could be afforded was a luxury…if they could be afforded, they offered an advantage as an extension to a standing army…but, they were just too expensive to keep after a war if you were as poor as the Irish were. But, in a pinch, when reserves just did not exist it was the only way to go.”

“And, the battlefield?”

“There is no battlefield like an Irish battlefield…there’s too many bogs, and thick forests for the Irish to hide and to fight from. If an enemy advances on a town, the inhabitants just ran into the forests.”

“But, the details of the battle of Munster against Connaught, what little there is tells of a battle in an open field.”

“That’s not how the battle came down, professor.”

“It’s not.”

“Not at all. When Munster declared war on Connaught, they had just finished a war with Tyrone. It was a draw…no victor. They were returning home when we caught them on a road that laid low between two slight slopes that was lined with woods. It was an area they had prepared for their enemies.”

“A trap?”

“On both sides of the path they had driven posts into the ground along the road, a barrier meant to hem in the enemy…making them easy prey.”

“…As we did against the Romans.”

“It was slaughter.”

“What of Munster’s economy?”

“When we first arrived…”

“The boy’s club?” Asked Charles.

“That’s right. I guess you could say we got trade going for Munster.”

“How’s that?”

14t78mo.jpg

Spence

“Before we showed up,” said Spence “the Irish had no idea what a real Marketplace was.” He then looked at Range. “So, this is where you’ve been sneaking off to.”

“Professor, this is my pal Spence, Professor Charles.”

“The real marketplace didn’t show up in Cork until February 3rd 1462.

2ziq39x.jpg

2mi1g7k.jpg

Jenkins

“And, believe me,” said Jenkins “…things didn’t get rolling until we began to make people believe we had the best fish in the world to sell.”

“And, just how did you accomplish that?”

“Oh Professor Charles, this is Jenkins.

“Hello,” said Charles weakly, confused.

“Hi…well, we had to make them think as we do,” continued Jenkins in his tough guy, fast talking manner.

Charles was shaken over the reply. “Robert is right. You’re all nothing more than gangsters and thugs.”

9i5t2x.jpg

Jean

“Don’t say that, it isn’t fair,” protested Jean.

“And, who might you be?”

“My name is Jean. I keep these mugs in line. And, as Robert’s great-great grandfather was nothing more than a murderer. As for us…maybe we’re a little rough around the edges, but we don’t mean to harm anyone. We just didn’t have a silver spoon in our mouths when growing up. But, what we got, we got honestly.”

“Your accent…”

“Accent?”

“Where were you born?”

“Plattsburgh, New York. Why?” Asked Jean. Then, she continued on in saying, “We’re helping Munster find its way in the world.”

2dhxsav.jpg

“Here in Cork, and hopefully, in the new world.”

11sldg8.jpg

“We’re also working hard to gain powerful allies to keep the wolves from our doors.”

“Wolves?” Asked Charles.

“The English,” explained Range, “And, the rest of the world.”

2uj6poo.jpg

Last edited:
You know you're a Japanophile when the first thing you look at on the world map in the previous post is Japan, even if the AAR you're reading is set in Ireland... that's what I did, and Takeda are doing surprisingly well for an OPM, even one with a gold mine.

Questionable choice of description my friend. Of course, I know you meant no harm. I suppose, we all check out our favorite country on a map.

Last edited: