• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ah the Emerald Isle draws Range once more to pillage and pursue his own interests.

Ain't that the truth...ain't that he truth.

MUNSTER

29dh5b4.jpg

Entry 6

10 January 1448

14n2t0j.jpg

After the war, we found that our kingdom’s stability (-1) was lower than in 1399. Luckily, we had enough administrative power to raise our stability to the 1399 level (0).

x2m1cx.jpg

“How can the church deny hard working people from earning a dollar?” Asked Range, as he stomped about.

“You’ve been here less than five years, you’ve already made the king mad you,” Said Robert, reminding Range of his folly. “Now, you’re about to take on the church as well? Think better of it my friend. Oh, by the way the king has outlawed football.”

“Why…in heaven’s name would he do that?”

“Because the king’s men are always playing it.”

dgrx3r.jpg

Our stability had taken one on the chin again...lowered below the level of 1399 (-1).

King Turlough IV O’Brien is dead. His son is only 13. The regents will handle the state of affairs for the kingdom until Tadlg O’Brien is old enough to reign as king.

34641w4.jpg

Tadlg O’Brien

“Range…Robert, the both of you will remain by my side, won’t you?” Asked Tadlg, holding back his tears.

Both, Range and Robert pledged to protect Tadlg, and guard his kingdom for the rest of their existence.

“I guess there won’t be much time golf for now on.”

“I’m afraid not,” replied Robert.

“Oh, I think we can sneak away for a game now and again,” Range assured.

“WE can?” Tadlg asked with glee, and Robert asked with surprise.

“Sure, when you’re king, who’s stopping you?”

2vcwb9h.jpg

“We can also use another light ship for trade. I’ll have a little talk with the regents. Besides, there’s a few other things I want to make clear to those bozos.”

Last edited:
The firearm is the Devil's work! Ha, I always hate "[Something] is heretical" (because I almost always accept the demands and puts me back on my research)!

More ships! :cool:

The firearm is the Devil's work! Ha, I always hate "[Something] is heretical" (because I almost always accept the demands and puts me back on my research)!

More ships! :cool:

I do the same...accept that anything the church says is heretical. I know in the future the want for a ship will cost me...in more than one way.

MUNSTER

January 1449 – February 1450

29dh5b4.jpg

Entry 7

2m4esug.jpg

Tadhg IV O’Brien, our new king…yesterday he was having fun playing golf, today he is the king of a future great nation.

“Whatever shall I do, Range?”

“Be your own man…and, if you need some council I’ll be close by.”

“So, shall I, my king,” said Robert.

“That’s just fine,” snarled Range. “Just give him enough room to breathe.”

1zz6wc3.jpg

Thankfully the kingdom stability is regained quickly. We’ve reached our original level (0).

153xo9e.jpg

Range knew that for the kingdom to survive with England so close, she needed a strong ally…hopefully, one like Castile. One, that would not only match up well against England, but would fight England.

2mpix53.jpg

With England, already embroiled in a war, maybe it was time to strike out against another kingdom of Ireland. However, Range knew Munster could not afford another drop in stability as it had when they went to war against Connaught. So, what could be done? Claims can be quite handy…if you can get away with them.

14xhudi.jpg

“Where do you stand Range?” Asked Robert.

“Why am I getting the feeling no matter how I lean you’ll go the other way.”

“Quite on the contrary my friend.”

“I believe she was chosen by God to be the blessed mother. But, that isn’t enough of an answer, is it?”

“Not, in this case. Go on…”

“There isn’t much more to say…except to follow what the church says we should believe.”

“True…seeing this is a Catholic kingdom what else can we think, say, or follow?”

“So, we agree?” Asked Range.

“On this point, my friend,” said Robert.

Last edited:
Ooh! Conquest! :D Great update as always, Range.

Hail Mary, full of grace...

Perhaps a future "Spanish" Armada will prove more effective if it comes to that! :eek: I don't speak Gaelic so your new King is just O'Brien IV to me! :p Is that a Leinster occupation beneath Ulster?

Nice job on the AAR. I am also working on an Irish game which I am writing an AAR for, although I started as Tyrone. I like the way you crop your pictures (I have just been using the full screenshot) and how you have created a fictional narrative about Range complete with dialogue.

I have a few questions about your play though so far.

Why did you spend hard earned Administrative points to raise your Stability to +1 so early in the game? I like to rush for ADM level 4 so that I can open my first Idea group as early as possible.

Why did you take a -2 stability hit to DOW? Did you DOW with no CB, or did you have diplomatic relations with Connaught which were broken by the DOW? If the former, why did you not fabricate a claim before the war? If the later, why did you form diplomatic ties with a country you have war designs for? You spent good ADM points to raise your stability and then lost it so quickly.

What idea group are you planning to open first and why? What are your short term and long term goals in this game?

I am looking forward to reading my of the tale of Range in Munster.

Ooh! Conquest! :D Great update as always, Range.

Thanks

Hail Mary, full of grace...

Perhaps a future "Spanish" Armada will prove more effective if it comes to that! :eek: I don't speak Gaelic so your new King is just O'Brien IV to me! :p Is that a Leinster occupation beneath Ulster?

No...it's not Leinster. But, I'm about to go to war with them. And, I could use the Spanish armada...the French...and, any other country that will help keep the British away from my door.

Nice job on the AAR. I am also working on an Irish game which I am writing an AAR for, although I started as Tyrone. I like the way you crop your pictures (I have just been using the full screenshot) and how you have created a fictional narrative about Range complete with dialogue.

I have a few questions about your play though so far.

Why did you spend hard earned Administrative points to raise your Stability to +1 so early in the game? I like to rush for ADM level 4 so that I can open my first Idea group as early as possible.

Why did you take a -2 stability hit to DOW? Did you DOW with no CB, or did you have diplomatic relations with Connaught which were broken by the DOW? If the former, why did you not fabricate a claim before the war? If the later, why did you form diplomatic ties with a country you have war designs for? You spent good ADM points to raise your stability and then lost it so quickly.

What idea group are you planning to open first and why? What are your short term and long term goals in this game?

I am looking forward to reading my of the tale of Range in Munster.

Hi, Great One. Before I forget, good luck with Tyrone.

To answer your first question - the reason why I spent my hard earned administrative points on Stability was that Connaught is always looking for easy prey (I had to become strong-those extra stability points come in handy). Keeping that in mind, I'm always checking the Diplomacy screen to see the attitude the kingdoms around me hold toward me. At the start, both, Leinster and Connaught held a hostile attitude toward me. Unlike, Connaught, Leinster at least was friendly toward me for a while...becoming an ally. Having Leinster being somewhat friendly, when I went to war was key. I wouldn't have made a move if both of them were still hostile toward me.

Staying at 2 stability is probably safe throughout the game. But, not if you want and need to go to war in a hurry. In every game I've played as either Leinster, or Munster, Connaught is always willing to go to war. And, if you let them get too big...before you know it they've taken over 3/5 of the island. That's why I jumped the gun...and went to war without a casus bellis. I may have dropped below -0-, but that's okay...most of the time.

Revolts are always possible...increasingly more possible the further go below 3. And, yes you can still get a revolt at 3...But, revolts are more likely when you are less than 3 stability. Just for an example...Tyrone in my game, they got a revolt early in the game, and could have been easily wiped out by Connaught.

As for not fabricating a claim...I could have, but I didn't think I had time (one year) to wait. Connaught is a monster. Every game I have ever played...maybe it's me...but, if you don't contain them before you know it they've taken over 3/5 of the island. As it was Tyrone had a revolt going on...a good spot for Connaught to attack Tyrone...Leinster, couldn't get to Tyrone, because of Meath blocking their advance. So, Connaught had an open. So, I went to war against Connaught.

Otherwise, I would have proceeded to stability 3, and would have been very happy...because at a stability 3, a lot is enhanced...trade, spy defense, less of a chance of an revolt, legitimacy.

And, yes it was very painful to get to the first idea group. As for what I would choose...depending when I get the option to choose...in some order, the first three would be Exploration, Quality, and Offensive (thus, staying away from using Administrative points as long as I can toward ideas). That way I can advance to open more idea groups...as quickly as possible. Then, I guess I would go with navy...then, possibly...economics....(forcing me to finally use admin points...by then, if I survive I'll be able to hire advisers.)

My short term goal...take as much of Ireland as possible...before (long term) I head for the new world and even eventually moving my capital to Manhattan, or somewhere.

Well, that's my thoughts as I set off.

Good luck...my friend...and, watch out for Connaught...Leinster, Munster, and and the British. Remember, everyone on the island, including the English (Meath) wants the island as theirs.
Work to get big allies, like France, Castille, and or, Portugal....stay away from everyone else...until much-much-much later. One more thing, Connaught more than often takes Tyrone out first. Good luck.

I see, you've gone way past what I've written about here. But, maybe it'll help someone else. Of course, there are many ways to play the game. Mine, is only one way.

Last edited:
My biggest regret in my Tyrone game is that I allowed England to swallow Scotland. I thought that allying Scotland and helping them war with England (perhaps releasing Wales) would be a good strategy. Unfortunately, with my desire to reach the new world as an OPM to move my capital, I had to stay too small to be of use as an ally to Scotland. In hind site, it would be better to get Scotland as a vassal.

1. Improve relations with England.
2. Get military access for your troops (may require RM with England...do not ally if it can be prevented)
3. Wait for England to DOW Scotland and allow them to take half of the country (if you are not an ally they will not call you to war)
4. Once Scotland is down to 2-3 provinces with no army, DOW while England has a truce
5. Siege Scotland and force vassalize

This will give you Scotland as a staging ground for the eventual conquest of England. You can also feed them back the cores that England conquered.

My biggest regret in my Tyrone game is that I allowed England to swallow Scotland. I thought that allying Scotland and helping them war with England (perhaps releasing Wales) would be a good strategy. Unfortunately, with my desire to reach the new world as an OPM to move my capital, I had to stay too small to be of use as an ally to Scotland. In hind site, it would be better to get Scotland as a vassal.

1. Improve relations with England.
2. Get military access for your troops (may require RM with England...do not ally if it can be prevented)
3. Wait for England to DOW Scotland and allow them to take half of the country (if you are not an ally they will not call you to war)
4. Once Scotland is down to 2-3 provinces with no army, DOW while England has a truce
5. Siege Scotland and force vassalize

This will give you Scotland as a staging ground for the eventual conquest of England. You can also feed them back the cores that England conquered.

I normally, do a lot of damage to Great Britain toward the end of the AAR.

My first objective for Munster is to get all or most of Ireland before setting sail for the new world. After I’ve taken a lot of mid-Atlantic coast of America…I would move my capital to the new world.

However, in order to move my capital, Munster must be isolated…I would then have to make my provinces on the emerald island vassals (leaving Munster). Also, my new proposed capital in the new world would have to be isolated.

I think it is quite possible to make some of the provinces on English soil mine if I want them…it all depends on when the opportunity arises…I don’t want to spread my forces too thin. There are islands throughout the world I want...spices, trade and so on.

Also, I want a very strong, large navy...and army without going over the limit in both cases.

My hope is to gain alliance with France, or Castille...maybe both. So, my being friendly with Britain will be nearly impossible from that point on.

Last edited:
Be careful in the new world. You don't want to settle/conquer to many provinces and have them become a colonial nation. I had three when I moved my capital. I think the limit might be four (with the fifth forming a colonial nation). From what I understand, the colonies do not have to be connected to form a nation...they just have to be in the same colonial region.

Good luck and happy conquering!

Be careful in the new world. You don't want to settle/conquer to many provinces and have them become a colonial nation. I had three when I moved my capital. I think the limit might be four (with the fifth forming a colonial nation). From what I understand, the colonies do not have to be connected to form a nation...they just have to be in the same colonial region.

Good luck and happy conquering!

Thanks for the warning.

Last edited:
MUNSTER

29dh5b4.jpg

Entry 8

February 1451 – February 1452

24w63gg.jpg

Time drew near for Munster to go to war. There was much debate whether or not it was in the kingdom’s favor to hire two Mercenary units, a Latin infantry, and a unit of Latin knights.

“And, what was so wrong with our subjects and our nobles taking up arms,” asked Robert.

“Nothing is wrong with either our nobles, or any of our people,” replied Range.

Groans and mumbling were heard in the small assembly, before Range continued.

Except, we only have that many nobles and serfs available…less than 10,000 in reserves. If were to press them into service at this juncture, replenishing their ranks would be slow…we might need to call upon them in the near future. Have you forgotten the English.”

“But, the cost?” asked a nobleman. “We’re expecting to be on the wrong side of the ledger until our ranks are thinned.

“WE have the resources. I can see no better time than now to use a portion of those funds.”

“It was splendid move, Range,” King Tadhg’s voice crack.

iqd6s8.jpg

“You do hear the cries of our peasants?” Asked another nobleman.

“Of course,” said the king. “And, in these trouble times we shall ease their burden.”

King Tadhg smiled at Range as if awaiting for his friend to say, “well done.”

Robert looked to a third nobleman, and whispered. “That boy has the young king’s ear.”

“It might be prudent, to become an ally to the young adviser Range,” offered the nobleman, “don’t you think?”

8z0gv6.jpg

The young king, seventeen years of age would lead the army of Munster.

Range tried to talk the young ruler out of his decision, saying, “We can ill-afford to loose my king.”

“Being the king, what better way to lead my people than in war…as my father did before he died.”

Range knew quite well, the wounds that Tadhg’s father received in battle never healed.

167wb9f.jpg

As for the war…it was over after one battle. A siege followed…

6tgsgm.jpg

To entertain the populace, and take their mind off the war…Robert set up a match in the king’s absence. Robert hadn’t gone to war. He stayed behind to protect the home front.

As for Robert remaining behind, if it was anyone other than him, Range might have been suspicious.

2ep545g.jpg

As the siege progressed, a communiqué arrived from Cork. It was a warning from King Henry VI Lancaster of England. He must be afraid of us of attacking Tyrone,” surmised King Tadhg, “with them still being at war…and Provence holding Meath.”

“Maybe,” replied Range. “But, you can be sure that as soon as their war is over the English will take Tyrone.” After pausing, Range went on to say, “We need allies…strong allies to keep the English at bay.”

j5xd9c.jpg

No sooner had the fort in Dublin had been captured, the truce that followed lasted less than an hour before Leinster’s fifty-five year old monarch King Donnchad MacMurrough-Kavanagh stepped down from his throne for the last as his kingdom was annexed.

Weeks later, Range read a letter from Robert. One line in the letter, caused Range to rear back in reply to air about him as he crushed the letter in his hand. Robert wrote, “has the king decided what to do with the ex-king of Leinster. “He’s still of royal blood…all of Europe is waiting for that very answer.” With that Range speed off to speak with his Tadhg, his friend.

znx7j8.jpg

Less than an hour later, Donnchad was in his carriage heading for the coast and England. He had signed a written agreement never to attempt to reclaim his kingdom in exchange for his life.

The move to release the former king of Leinster was sanctioned by the seventeen year monarch of Munster, Leinster, and Connaught…King Tadhg IV O’Brien (through the urgings of the one known as Range).

Last edited:
Looks like England is unhappy with you! :p I guess you have Italians serving in Ireland...Giustiniani doesn't sound Irish to me!

The one province dance is my favorite war...no wasting time in having to conquer half a dozen other provinces just to get the province you wanted.

Looks like England is unhappy with you! :p I guess you have Italians serving in Ireland...Giustiniani doesn't sound Irish to me!

The one province dance is my favorite war...no wasting time in having to conquer half a dozen other provinces just to get the province you wanted.

Before the end of this journey, I'll make the English real sore at me.

I've always hated to take land that was so expensive to take, but wasn't worth a dime to a dollar.

MUNSTER

29dh5b4.jpg

February 1452 – March 1452

Entry 9

b6wk6w.jpg

With the war over, there was a lot to do to make Munster stronger than what she was before the war. As it was, she was losing money. And, this wasn’t what Range needed to learn upon returning from the war.

2moefr8.jpg

Munster had grown, but hopefully not as large as it would be one day. At least, that was what Range was telling everyone. “One day we will own great stretches of land…”

“Who do we invade?” Asked Robert.

“No one in Europe…but, I assure you there is a continent waiting to be discovered…ours for the taking.”

“If you’re talking about a new world,” said Robert, “you can forget about it.”

“Why?”

“Because it doesn’t exist. Besides, we’d be better off strengthening ourselves right here on this island. ”

2052yoh.jpg

“That’s already going in the right direction.”

The friendship between Robert and Range had been strained since before the war. It seemed no matter what Range brought up, Robert was sure to pour water on it to dampen everyone’s enthusiasm. “So, you disband a part of our navy.”

"Why do we need a cog?” asked Range. “It’s better if we build another light ship for trade in it’s place, or for the defense of our trade…both are a good way to increase our income.”

And, what of the land forces you’re disbanding?”

“I don’t think we’ll miss a mercenary regiment. Besides they’re too expensive to support in peace time. And, as for the cavalry…we can’t afford the luxury in having them.”

30c6mwh.jpg

No sooner had Range made the changes to the military the outlook for the country became brighter. Munster no longer ended a month in the red. Although the kingdom’s inflation was over 4% (mainly due to the 3 % monetary reforms).

2hp7rsy.jpg

As for Munster’s navy, their admiral gained them nothing…he was a big zero in maneuver. It kinds of defeats the need for him.

34q0lc7.jpg

Our technology is falling behind.

2hfhqx5.jpg

There are times when you should, and then there are times you should hold off coring a province. One good reason to debate is when you’re trying to get your first idea. Reasons for are, a core gives offers less chance for revolts, and more money in the coffers. As for the case of holding off, it’s open for debate.

Our technology is falling behind

I always love being dragged into wars with smaller allies against powerful opponents early in the game, like France or Burgundy, and then promptly get smacked in battle because they're already at military technology level 4 while I'm only have way there! :glare:

Niall Berry, +1 fire, and nothing else...I always hate when I spend 50 diplomacy or military points to hire a general and get a guy who has virtually no benefit to me, other than he is a leader... :blink: if he's only get to pad the stats by 1, at least make it +1 in a few other categories, like shock! :cool:

I always love being dragged into wars with smaller allies against powerful opponents early in the game, like France or Burgundy, and then promptly get smacked in battle because they're already at military technology level 4 while I'm only have way there! :glare:

Niall Berry, +1 fire, and nothing else...I always hate when I spend 50 diplomacy or military points to hire a general and get a guy who has virtually no benefit to me, other than he is a leader... :blink: if he's only get to pad the stats by 1, at least make it +1 in a few other categories, like shock! :cool:

Early in the game it's always a coin toss whether or not to accept an alliance with a bigger nation...as you know sooner or later you're going to be drawn into a war that makes you want to run away and hide.

As for hiring a general, any general is better than nothing...barely.