• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

jolppis

Recruit
May 8, 2017
Hey! I bought HoI2 once again today (this time the complete version, from Steam) to play multiplayer on WLAN. However, when I try to click the HOST button on either LAN or Internet, nothing happens. What can I do?

Thank you so much in advance!

(Running Windows 10, if it makes any difference. Game version is 1.3a.)

mccarty.geoff

Major
On Probation
Jul 11, 2017
Well, i know at some point in time it opened a session screen where your lan mate could login and you choose the scenario and chat etc. Used to do it years ago. Actually, I think I used a crossover cable then.
What operating system are you using? This thread has good info on the subject. Alot of complaints about the steam version but, I don't know how it's data could be different from the base game.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-guide-to-multiplayer.540014/

Last edited:

jolppis

Recruit
May 8, 2017
Still no success – the Host button simply refuses to do anything. :(

I'm on Windows 10. Do you think installing Vista or XP on a virtual machine would work better (IPX)?

mccarty.geoff

Major
On Probation
Jul 11, 2017
Yes IPX isn't supported for win7+. I thought that might be the issue at first but apparently the doomsday HoI2 was updated to TCP/IP for Lan connections. Maybe it could be an issue with legacy Directplay drivers though.

I just tested it in wine and thats the reason. You need a compatible directplay version installed for sure. Was able to open a host console after installing some dplay library from 2010

Last edited:

jolppis

Recruit
May 8, 2017
That made it work – thank you SO SO SO MUCH!! You've made a decade-old dream finally come true. Please treat yourself to something nice today – you are amazing!