• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(16937)

Second Lieutenant
May 12, 2003
Visit site
Hey guys,

a friend of mine and I want to play HoI against each other, but we're not networked, and we can't get the internet option to work properly. Against my better judgement we read the manual :rofl: but what it suggests didn't work: I hosted a game and put my IP address in the box, my friend put the same IP address in and clicked join, and it wouldn't work...

How does the multiplayer option actually work?

Oh by the way we have the same patch.

Cheers,
Marius of Britannia.

I have no experience with the fishyness that sometimes occur when you play over network, but what I can think of is that you may have the wrong IP adress. First of all, the host don't need to enter any IP (this is only used when you click "join"). Make sure that the client enters the correct IP of the host.

You might try Hamachi. (hamachi.com) It will allow you to set up a VPN that essentially sets up a LAN over the internet. It is known to work with HOI 2. I do not know if it works with HOI 1, but I should be trying it this coming weekend.

Cheers,
Mike

Hamachi DOES work with HOI - 1. I started a game with a buddy this past weekend. It is MUCH easier than playing programmer lite with your router etc.