• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Shendrach

Recruit
May 20, 2018
I hope, this time there will be a way to implement other players in MP games during the battles. Be it that you'll be able to continue your turn on the strategy map while others are fighting battles, OR - if this should not be possible due to programming reasons - that you can gift some of your units to other players respectively other players can control the AI opponent units.

Anything else would be bad - it was what really tired my friends and me after some time playing AoW3: endless waiting.

This subject was mentioned but nothing has been set in stone as far as I understand.

Bear in mind guys that anything we say here is subject to change.

Apparently ideas have been proposed to allow players to do stuff that doesn't involve movement, like manage their empire, queue units etc.

But what I understood from the conversation was that it is quite the engineering challenge.

Some context - I'm at the paradox convention and got to ask a couple of questions.

Maybe more than a couple...

What I would love the most would be some kind of side drop down menu being something like "List of current battles: Player 1 vs AI (Click to watch) - Player 3 vs. Player 5 (click to watch)" where you'd be able to watch/zoom in and out any actual battles taking place as often as you want to. In that way you would be able to continue your turn on the strategy map if you'd like to and if you have finished and other players are still in a battle, you'd be able to watch them (so it would not be that boring). Of course such a solution would also need the game to be able to simultaneously have several battles taking place at the same time - and I'm not sure if such a thing is possible.

So if it won't be possible, there should at least be a "gift units" option or the option to control the AI in a battle like I've suggested above.

Completely agree with OP!
Playing with three or more players could really become a drag, if you did not have a lot of battles going on. A second 'problem' was that e.g. if i did have a lot of battles in my turn, i almost felt bad for requiring so much time where my friends could not do anything in between :/.

Best would be if movement on the map is not hindered at all during battle for everyone not participating. And if some more units would run into the battling parties there would be a message in the tactical map that a new party arrives in 5 turns and from what side they come and after 5 turns these units appear at the border of the tactical combat map and participate in the fight.
Also adding a turn timer to the tactical map will already help a lot I think (time you have per turn should probably be connected to the number of units in battle).

I've been tinkering with the idea for a game I'd like to make, but what about all combat being resolved in one phase? I can understand if people may not like that, but I thought I'd pitch it in any event. That way players can all do combat in one go so the longest action in the game is shared by everyone. Though, that really only tackles games where players taking simultaneous turns, and non-simultaneous turns could have the issue of armies clashing remaining occupied until the combat phase after everyone completed their main turn. And it doesn't cover what happens when multiple battles for a player take place. Still, I'm curious as to what Triumph will do to tackle the overall issue.