• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MAC

Colonel
72 Badges
Feb 25, 2003
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Ancient Space
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Impire
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
First, to be honest the HOI multiplayer is actually still far from being "playeable" like other multiplayer games. It's only for the patient and people who can take a lot of frustration without giving up. But... the reward is well worth it!!!
:D

So if you are impatient and look for a "Battle Net"-like multiplayer you can actually stop reading (hopefully till the next patch is out). But if you are patient and have a lot of time chances are good that you'll be surprised how much fun HOI is in multiplayer - and you will find what singleplayer could not give you.

You might ask why I posted here and not in the Multiplayer-Forum - the reason is simple: This post is for the people who logged into VNet, saw nobody, continued singleplayer and will prolly not take a look into it as long as they don't know WHY they did see no one. My intention is that after reading and discussing here in the thread those people WILL visist the Multiplayer-Forum and discuss there - and also give VNet a 2nd shot...
:p

Ok, here we go:

1. VNet
Ok, you wondering why no one is in VNet? Well, to some degree people are simply in a running game and are not shown in VNet. The other issue is that due to the still not that huge playerbase in multiplayer a lot of people log on, see no one listed and log out. 30 seconds later one more takes a look and logs out. If they'd stay 5-15 minutes they'd prolly find enough players for MP, but oh well... :rolleyes:

The few people who don't log out fast but rather go afk have the problem that they can leave no message "be right back" "afkitchen" or whatever, so other people log on, say "hi", no one answers and so they log out again.

Conclusion: be patient. Stay in VNet. If someone does not answer he is prolly afk. If you're lucky he is right back or a game that just lost a player needs a replacement (suddenly a bunch of players show up and ask you to join a savegame) - and you can finally show your skills (unless he messed it up and that's the reason why he left, hehe).

2. The Host
HOI has a LOT of data to manage. Especially in wartime. You really need a good host or you will lag like hell.

Conclusion: A good host is the most important thing. From my experience 1MBit+ will work for 8 players. The UPSTREAM is usually the bottleneck (I have 768down but only 128up for example) - so check who got the best line and let him host.

3. Getting Started
Ok, you got 8 ppl ready to rumble? That's nice, but sometimes people drop (esp. after downloading savegames). Same goes for people joining and leaving a game before it's launched. So you might need a few tries till it runs and pray for no new player to log into the game right when the original players getting back in. Best is to meet in a different channel...

Conclusion: This is the most annoying part. Finally you got all players, but the game crashes *sigh* - be patient, it WILL pay out ;)

4. The Game
There we go. You got 10+ hours spare time and want to have fun? You will have it - congratulations :D

Conclusion: HOI MP games need a LOT of time, but if someone leaves (as long as its not the host) you can continue the savegame later or simply find someone new to continue.

Ok, sounds not like fun to you?
Hmm, what about reading some in the MP forum?
Especially AAR's can give you a slight feeling how much fun MP is.
But: MP is not SP - your "enemies" are usually pretty clever and can - for example - make a very successfull sea landing.

In my last finsihed game (10 hours playtime) Japan and Italy had a HUGE battle with UK and Australia in India. Must have been like 40+ divisions on both sides. Unfortunately that opened the USA the chance to land with 20+ Divisions in Japan (besides that China and USSR DOWed Japan too) and *SPLAT* we lost. As Germany like six months ago I did not want to DOW Turkey and Persia to keep US WE from exploding - but in the end that could have at least saved the divisions there *sigh* (Battle in India started long ago and grew bigger and bigger - so don't think we were totally clueless, think it became a personal thing between Japan and the UK, hehe).

In the finished game before (14 hours playtime) I played russia and had nothing to do (except splitting up China with Japan and Persia with Italy :p ) since the Axis did not manage to take down France and were overrun when the USA joined the war. I was really thinking about joining the Axis for fun, though :)

And in my first finished Game (16+6 hours) as russia I was DOWed from Japan and short after that from China!. I had to give up Sibiria (thinking that China and Japan will fight each other there - but they just conquered my provinces *grr*). Italy and Germany expanded very early and I had to fight them in the west while fighting China in the east. Right when the US landed in France and asked me to launch a counterattack with the few divisions I had left China stabbed in my back again, trying to break thru my weak defenses in the east with 40+ divisions. So Germany Italy signed a cease fire with me and Japan and me signed a cease fire + "divide up china"- pact. If I'd have simply ignored china the game would have been over much earlier, but I got really angry at China and the Allies not caring what their ally is doing :p
In the end I encircled his forces but had problems to destroy them (snow, mountains, numbers) but still managed to get back a lot of my lost territory. Axis front in France was finally defeated and Japan was also invaded by the USA, so they surrendered.

----------------

I am sure I forgot a lot of issues, please feel free to add comments, experience or questions - or take a look in the MP forum :)

I agree with the comments on how fun MP is. I've not used Vnet myself, but have played with friends over the Internet. Note that it's desirable to have all players on the same side of th Atlantic if possible and/or on fast connecitons. If you get lag problems (orders not being executed promptly) a quick pause will usually deal with them.
It's a good idea to find yourself some congenial fellow-players by trial and error (maybe email people whose posts on the MP board look sensible and friendly) and then agree times to meet - e.g. 6-12pm every Sunday should finish a game in 2-3 weeks. There are some idiots out there who can really spoil your game - swear at you for real or imagined slights, drop out at the first reverse, etc. Also, check whether you are playing with real-life ethics or not - I've had a veteran player angrily quit because I didn't deliver a promised trade deal after war had broken out between us - I was playing Stalin and took the view that if I was attacking Nazi Germany I certainly wasn't going to deliver that trade, but he felt I'd lied to him at a real-life level. Either way to play is OK, but it's useful to know which.
Newer players will probably be more comfortable with the 39 scenario than the 36 - it stilll moves much faster than historically but it does resemble history more, so you have a better idea of what to do. In the 36 scenario all kinds of wild ideas get tried - e.g. Germany invading Venezuala for the oil!

Nick

Also, check whether you are playing with real-life ethics or not - I've had a veteran player angrily quit because I didn't deliver a promised trade deal after war had broken out between us - I was playing Stalin and took the view that if I was attacking Nazi Germany I certainly wasn't going to deliver that trade, but he felt I'd lied to him at a real-life level. Either way to play is OK, but it's useful to know which.
Indeed. I also found it fun to "roleplay" like "The Russian gouvernment hereby declares that Romania is in it's sphere of interest. Violating Romanian borders will result in war..."

In History treaties are not that much worth - in game, well, talk about it before you start playing.

It's called "House Rules" -> many for example only allow 1 tech share every 3 month and 5 parachutes as "House Rule" - but anything can be discussed.

As long as there are no ingame mechanics the whole concept is based on trust, still works not that bad, though.

Originally posted by MAC
Indeed. I also found it fun to "roleplay" like "The Russian gouvernment hereby declares that Romania is in it's sphere of interest. Violating Romanian borders will result in war..."

In History treaties are not that much worth - in game, well, talk about it before you start playing.

It's called "House Rules" -> many for example only allow 1 tech share every 3 month and 5 parachutes as "House Rule" - but anything can be discussed.

As long as there are no ingame mechanics the whole concept is based on trust, still works not that bad, though.

Found this very interesting. What are 5 parachutes?

I tried it once. Finally got a group. We logged on. I could not find away to communicate.

Game crashed. No one returned in fifteen minutes I play solo again.

I'd love to play MP, but my computer's giving me fits. Could someone knowledgable about these things check my thread in the MP forum?

jim, that's what happens usually.
You really need a lot of patience and have to be somewhat crazy to not give up - but it's really really worth it IMHO :D

Best time to try out MP is on weekends, usually easier to find a game then...

5 Parachutes -> since you can paradrop too easy only 5 parachute divisions allowed.

I really had a pretty crazy game yesterday (and only 2h of sleep *yawn*) - Czech conquered Germany *sigh*...

15:00 November 19, 1937 : Czechoslovakia entered a Military Alliance with United Kingdom, France, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa, Netherlands and Belgium."

...and cought a unprepared Germany which had deployed his troops to the Russian border after defeating Poland. Good move, Allies...

file.aspx

Last edited:
I agree completely. Multiplayer requires a lot of patience but it's an extremely rewarding and fun experience. HoI is a fantastic MP game (well... it sure would help if they fixed the bugs).

I'd figure you need to allocate about two hours per year, maybe more. But the diplomacy and unpredictability of human players is fantastic.

I run a regular group of five (now just added our sixth) and we've got it running fairly smooth.

Absolutely awesome... much better than single player. I spend more time out of the game plotting and planning with my allies than I do playing the game!

- Mithel

I agree completely. Multiplayer requires a lot of patience but it's an extremely rewarding and fun experience. HoI is a fantastic MP game (well... it sure would help if they fixed the bugs).

I'd figure you need to allocate about two hours per year, maybe more. But the diplomacy and unpredictability of human players is fantastic.

I run a regular group of five (now just added our sixth) and we've got it running fairly smooth.

Absolutely awesome... much better than single player. I spend more time out of the game plotting and planning with my allies than I do playing the game!

- Mithel

I have now attempted twice to play multi-player and find it impossible. It is so jumpy that I can't do anything effective.

I have DSL and a brand new gaming P4 and it just sits there like a log. I play many other multiplayer games and they run just fine but this game has a long way to go before it can be played multiplayer.

I would like to try a one on one to see if it would actually work but haven't found another player yet.

Is a normal ISDN-Connection sufficient to play?

I have some friends left :D from some "Advanced Third Reich" - Games that i would like to crush under my virtual boot!

...but wait - i have no flatrate - so this game will not only ruin my career - wtihout a flatrate it will also ruin me in material ways - ok - i am goin to develop flatrate - i suppose it is under electronic-research :cool:

Well, to be honest all I know is that DSL with 128 up 768 down is sufficient to play with 8 ppl if you have a Host with >= 1MBit up / down... :p

But I doubt ISDN will lag too much if it's only a 4-6 ppl. game - I'd say try it out ;)

Our experience hasn't been as bad as others report here. Hosting on a 256K (up and down) DSL line we support five players. It usually takes us ten minutes or so to recover from a crash and in a four hour session we typically only have about two crashes.

Johan's news of the fixes sounds awesome and it sounds like life will be a LOT better as soon as the next patch is released.

- Mithel

Hello, im sure the multiplayer is great and no doubt in my mind i would enjoy it but the problem for me is actually getting in a game whenever i try to host a game for my freinds and vise versa it says game not found i have researched this everywhere and the only solution i found for it was to open ports 1630-1640 ( witch i did BTW) with no results friends still cant connect if one of u could possibly add me on steam and hopefully get in contact with me some how i would love to get into this community so please add Trenam93 thank you for reading this :)

Hello, im sure the multiplayer is great and no doubt in my mind i would enjoy it but the problem for me is actually getting in a game whenever i try to host a game for my freinds and vise versa it says game not found i have researched this everywhere and the only solution i found for it was to open ports 1630-1640 ( witch i did BTW) with no results friends still cant connect if one of u could possibly add me on steam and hopefully get in contact with me some how i would love to get into this community so please add Trenam93 thank you for reading this :)

Would you like this post to be moved to the HoI3 forums, since that is probably the game you are having problems with? Or do you own HoI3 and still try to play MP on HoI1?