• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Chicken Spadge

Major
31 Badges
Aug 3, 2009
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Iron Cross
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For The Glory
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
Seven!

DenmarkL1-7_zpsb6e9fa12.png~original

Denmark

EnglandL1-7_zpsec4d7fbd.png~original

England/GB

FranceL1-7_zps9a4758b9.png~original

France

GermanyL1-7_zps6348ac0e.png~original

German Minor States

RussiaL1-7_zps7b5b41ad.png~original

Russia

SwedenL1-7_zps559f4f45.png~original

Sweden

TurksL1-7_zps8cd0ca45.png~original

Ottoman Empire

Multi-levelCollage_zpsa29f485c.png~original

Level2Screenshoot_zps23d1c38a.png~original

Level4Screenshot_zps9ab6efbd.png~original

Level6Screenshot_zps304562cb.png~original

WATKABAOI_zpsa0855927.png~original

Just when you thought that you'd heard the last of this!

It turns out that the number of possible sprite levels in the game isn't limited to four. I don't know what the upper limit is, but the game can certainly accommodate seven levels, which is the highest realistic number according to the Civ3 sprites available.

All the European countries including the Ottomans have seven levels in this pack.

The seven levels are as follows:

1. - Late Medieval (Old Level 1)
2. - Arquebusiers/Calivermen
3. - Musketeers (Largely Old Level 2)
4. - Early 17th Century
5. - Mid-17th Century (Old Level 3)
6. - Late 17th Century
7. - Napoleonic (Old Level 4)

Note that I've changed a few of the older sprites at the higher levels in order to produce a more consistant progression.

I've also made a few changes to include some of the more recently converted sprites.

I've replaced the old Burgundy Level 1 sprite and introduced the new Irish Level 1 sprite. The French and Spanish Level 1 sprites have been recoloured.

The extra Italian units for new Level 7 (Savoy, Genoa, Papal States and Venice) have also been added.

The USA now has its own sprites for Levels 5-7.

The new Level 1 sprites for the Aztecs and Incas have been included.

In addition, there are now six levels for the Arabs, and an extra sprite has been added to the Chinese.

The rest of world hasn't changed.

There are two versions of this pack - with and without gunsmoke during battles.

I've used Sandris's sprites for Levels 4-7 because I had to recolour some sprites to make up for some that were missing, and this was more difficult to do with Imperator's sprites.

Size of Download

You may be worried that this sprite pack will be too big, but in fact I've cropped all the WALK bmp files. This means that the new seven-level pack is actually around 120 MB smaller than the old four-level one.

Downloads

Four types of folder/file are affected by this pack and will need to be altered. They are:

The Units folder (to be changed in vanilla)
The Palettes folder (to be changed in vanilla)
The countries file (to be changed in vanilla and in all mods)
The land technologies file (to be changed in vanilla and in WATKABAOI and Plvs Vltra)

We'll start with the instructions for the Units and Palettes folders. These are the same for everybody. Later we'll move on to the instructions that will vary according to individual players.

Units and Palettes Folders

Important: Please follow all the three steps below. DO NOT simply download and drop the files below without following steps one and two or you will end up with a mess.

The instructions in this section are the same for everybody. It doesn't matter if you already have my four-level pack or you are still using the original FtG sprites.

Step One: Go to FtG/Gfx/Map and Remove the Unit folder. It might be wise to put it somewhere else in case you don't like the new pack and want to reverse the process.

Step Two: Go to FtG/Gfx and Remove the Palettes folder. Again, put it somewhere else if you want to keep the option of reversing the changes open.

Step Three: Download the new Unit and Palettes folders (they have been put together) for the version of the pack that you prefer (with or without gunsmoke) and drop them into your FtG folder. You should not need to overwrite anything. As in the past, the new units folder also includes all the navy and other sprites, which are unchanged.

Download the Unit and Palettes folders for the non-gunsmoke version here
Download the Unit and Palettes folders for the gunsmoke version here

Countries Files

You may need to change these for vanilla and all mods. If you have already downloaded my four-level pack and the additional sprites for Ireland, the USA and the Incas, you don't need to change anything.

Important: The countries files also affect the countries' colours on the political map. If you are using the original colorscales you should download the countries files from the links below, BUT if you already have my four-level pack, have changed your political map colours, and have not already downloaded extra sprites for Ireland, the USA and the Incas, you should NOT download the new countries files but alter them according to the instructions provided in the second post of this thread.

Download the new vanilla countries file here

Drop it into your main For The Glory folder and overwrite when asked

Download the new AGCEEP countries file here

Drop it into For the Glory/Mods/AGCEEP and overwrite when asked

Download the new WATKABAOI countries file here

Drop it into For the Glory/Mods/WATKABAOI and overwrite when asked

Download the new Plvs Vltra countries file here

Drop it into For the Glory/Mods/Plvs Vltra and overwrite when asked

Land Technology Files

This whole project has been made possible by amending the FtG/Db/Technologies/land file. Note that I've included a download with new levels set to my own prefences:

Land Levels - Level of sprite

1-10 - 1
11-15 - 2
16-26 - 3
27-34 - 4
35-46 - 5
47-54 - 6
55- - 7

You don't have to use these settings if you don't want to, however. You can amend the file according to your own preferences. Instructions for doing this are provided in the second post of this thread.

Download the new vanilla land file here

Drop it into your main For the Glory folder and overwrite when asked

Note that AGCEEP doesn't have its own land file but uses the vanilla one.

Download the new WATKABAOI land file here

Drop it into For the Glory/Mods/WATKABAOI and overwrite when asked

Download the new Plvs Vltra land file here

Drop it into For the Glory/Mods/Plvs Vltra and overwrite when asked

Last edited:
Amending Your Existing Countries Files (see above)

For vanilla go to For the Glory/Db. For the mods go to For the Glory/Mods/AGCEEP(etc)/Db

CountriesIreland_zps940c7a38.png~original

Open the countries file. Scroll down to Connacht (CON). Change 'army = HEL' to 'army = EIR'. Then do the same for Desmond (DES), Ireland (EIR), Leinster (LEI), Meath (MEA) and Ulster (ULS).

Note that in WATKABAOI Munster (MST) appears instead of Desmond. Make sure that you don't change the German state (MUN) of the same name.

In addition, go to USA and change 'army = HEL' into 'army = USA'

Then go to Inca (INC) and Chimu (CHM), change 'army = AZT' into 'army = INC'.

Note that in WATKABAOI the following should also be changed to INC - Arawak (ARW), Aymara (AYM), Cajamanca (CAJ), Chibca (CHH), Caracas (CRC), Isthmus (ISH), Quimbaya (QUI), Tairona (TAI) and Tlaxcala (TLA).

Amending the Land File

Landfilecrop_zpse4c7e9f2.png~original

Here's a screenshot of part of the file, with the Land Level underlined in red and the sprite level in green.

Notice that the sprite level number shown in the file is always one less than the actual level. So, 0 is used for sprite level 1, while 1 is used for sprite level 2, etc.

Simply change the sprite levels to suit your preferences.

Acknowledgements

Again, the main credit for these sprites should go the original creators of the Civ3 units, and the overwhelming number were made by just two people - Imperator1961 and Sandris.

Sandris made almost all of the European sprites between Levels 4-7, plus several of the European Level 1 sprites. He also made the Mongols Level 1, the Chinese Level 1, Indian Level 4, West Asia Level 1, and the Level 4 Rebels.

Inperator made all of the European sprites in Levels 2 and 3, most of the Level 1 European sprites, the Ottomans Levels 1-6, all the Arab sprites, Chinese Level 2, 3 and 4, Indian Level 2, West Asia Levels 2 and 4, Horn of Africa and Rest of Africa Level 4, North America Levels 2 and 3, and Level 1 and 2 Rebels.

ShiroKobbure made the South East Asian, Korean, Malay, Central American and South American Level 1 sprites
Sword of Geddon made the Rest of Africa Level 1 and Japanese Level 2 units
Plotinus made the West African and Horn of Africa Level 1 units
Kinboat made the Japanese Level 1 sprite
CamJH made the Indian Level 1 unit
utahjazz made the Mediterranean Knight Level 1 sprite, and Vuldacan recoloured it
Balam-Agab made the Irish Level 1 sprite

Errors

If you find any mistakes, please let me know. Please state whether you are using the gunsmoke or non-gunsmoke version.

Last edited:
Impressive works :)

bravo

Amazing! how do you do that?

1. - Late Medieval (Old Level 1)
2. - Arquebusiers/Calivermen
3. - Musketeers (Largely Old Level 2)
4. - Early 17th Century
5. - Mid-17th Century (Old Level 3)
6. - Late 17th Century
7. - Napoleonic (Old Level 4)
I suggest to change (new)lv2 to early 16c cold-arm soilders.

Zweihander's additional unit sprite pack

This pack add some cold-arms unit for unit level 1&2, the picture below include all unit sprites changed in this pack:
attachment.php

Install:
This pack is totally base on Chicken Spadge's Multi-level Madness, Sprite-sanity Slippage , You should first install Chicken Spadge's Multi-level Madness, Sprite-sanity Slippage and then download the additional unit sprite pack and drop the GFX folder into your FtG folder.

Download:
http://pan.baidu.com/s/1bnesvO7
934b22ecjw1ekjf7tm5hlj20kn0agaai.jpg

or

Download from the attachment

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 7
  • UNITS.png
    UNITS.png
    30,7 KB · Views: 785
Last edited:
I suggest to change (new)lv2 to early 16c cold-arm soilders.

It's not a bad idea, but I've had enough for the moment!

One problem is that the sound effect for Level 2 upwards is gunfire. I suppose that you can change that, but I don't know how.

Not sure, but try to modify the:
in the land.txt
No, that's the "CRT" level (see CRT.txt) - it affects fighting power only.

The gunfire sound plays only if one combatant army has a fire value.

There is a new unit pack call Religious Units in civfan. Some unit graphic may be suitable for the T-MISSIONARY sprite, though which is not very important. And I also found unit graphic suitable for the Malta order and the Teutonic order there.

hospitallers_VcP.jpg

generic_crusaders_uR8.jpg

templars_C9k.jpg

other_crusaders_3ij.jpg

Last edited:
Hello zweihander,

Sorry I haven't responded before now. I was away for a while and then I started making some new sprites for Darkest Hour.

Are there any sprites that you wanted converting in particular? What level were you thinking of?

Well done units, but we need know every condition because we can have troubles in the game
downloading and inserting them as files.

Well done units, but we need know every condition because we can have troubles in the game
downloading and inserting them as files.

Unfortunately, the nature of the sprite pack means that the installment process is rather complicated. I thought I'd made the instructions as simple as possible, though. What appears to be the problem in your case?

Hello zweihander,

Sorry I haven't responded before now. I was away for a while and then I started making some new sprites for Darkest Hour.

Are there any sprites that you wanted converting in particular? What level were you thinking of?

what about the Malta Knight in this pack for CYP lv1 and the Teutonic knight in this pack for PRU lv1?

I have check the scots pack and I think those sprites are too small that aren't worth to convert.

Last edited:
what about the Malta Knight in this pack for CYP lv1 and the Teutonic knight in this pack for PRU lv1?

I have check the scots pack and I think those sprites are too small that aren't worth to convert.

OK, I'll do those two. You might have to wait a short while because I've started working on something else and it should take a few more days..

many thanks for all this awesome work guys, i will try the sprites right now:D