• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(154211)

Corporal
3 Badges
Aug 14, 2009
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Impire
Is it true that it is just possible to play multiplayer sea battles, but not the regular game in MP-mode?
So its not possible that one person is playing e.g. germany and the other person is playing e.g. the dutch? So a complete free game with 2 companies?

No. There's no strategic level multiplayer in this game sadly.

Sad, indeed. The message content of this forum tells you everything you need to know about the value of the "multiplayer" option they added to this game in order to get the "multiplayer" checkbox.

Oh stop whining already. Total War game have the same kind of multiplayer since forever. So it's not like EIC devs did something unknown to the world and not understandable.

Is LAN the only way to have a MP game ?

No. If you click on the "Multiplayer" button, after a short time, you'll get a list of different kinds of games hosted by www.eic-games.com or some such. That being said, I have as yet to see a single other player out there in any of these games. As for privately hosting one and then having others join over the internet, I have no idea. Hope that helps.

I really find it hard to believe that there is zero interest in MP for this type of game. I'll sign into a game every few days just to see if, maybe today's different. I'll have a cup of joe and a sandwich while I stare at my name.........all by itself..........on that huge board. After 20 minutes or so, it's time to move on. That's too bad :( I remember once I saw 3 people on at the same time. But only once.

I think the problem here is not lack of interest but lack of Scheduling. Until you get a group of dedicated individuals with scheduled events multi-player is going to be a bit sparse.

There are couple of those types of dedicated communities on the internet. The ones I know of were very interested in the game as a vehicle for their communities. However those groups are serious simulation types and frankly this game, though it does a nice job of combat, is far from an Age of Sail combat simulator. The game has a lot of potential.

My hope is that it will someday be developed into a feature rich simulation that includes a
1) First person capability to walk about the deck of each ship. Not just stand a few locations.

2) a unified fluid user interface which allows the user to issue commands all, one or many with out the use of waypoints.

3) Advance Sail control that allows true speed control rather than just full half and none.

4) Support for multiple sizes of ships for a given type. Currently there is only one size frigate. Frigates ranged in size from 24 to 50 guns.

5) Support for a multitude of cannon size. Small Schooner and Cutters usually carried nothing bigger than 4 lb cannon. Frigates carried 9 lb to 24 lb cannon depending on the size of the ship. Ships of the line mounted 32 lb cannon the lower deck and 18 lb on the deck above. EIC has small, medium and large.

6) Fractional Sail damage model. It would be fun to see the fore topmast being shot away and feel the effect on the ship handling. Now at a certain point everything goes by the board. And the ship still sails on.

The list could go on for quite a while. Sorry I will get off my soap box.
I really do enjoy the game I just hoped for so much more.
Greg.

I agree with Greg as to the simulation points. I was not an age of sail simulation buff before this game, but because of its stunning graphics, I became interested.

Plus, I have had the experience of playing the game many hours focusing mostly on the strategic map and building an empire and only really lately began to look at enjoying the tactical level more completely.

Maybe Nitro will work on further developing both levels. Greg's suggestsions seem a good fit for the tactical level. At a strategic level, I can imagine more options to select exactly where the trading port gets created (instead of always having fixed locations) maybe even with land units at a strategic level. I would like to start with an empty map.

The strategic level changes in Designers Cut were a big improvement for the game. They need to continue.

I really find it hard to believe that there is zero interest in MP for this type of game. I'll sign into a game every few days just to see if, maybe today's different. I'll have a cup of joe and a sandwich while I stare at my name.........all by itself..........on that huge board. After 20 minutes or so, it's time to move on. That's too bad :( I remember once I saw 3 people on at the same time. But only once.

Are you sure you saw other people ? I think its almost impossible that the problem would be scheduling, after all the game was sold on many digital distributors, and probably physical shops, worldwide...it must be a bug

developers should state something about it...

also, there must be a bug with this forum, as i subscribed to this thread but never received any reply notification AND the option to subscribe to this thread is always enabled no matter how many times i subscribe

Last edited:
I've been checking over the last week - never saw nobody....this must be a bug, or our settings need changin...all of us !! Re Ship simulators, yes, Greg is spot on. The Ship Handling in PotBS is good, but lacks something, EIC is good, but still lacks something, put the two together, and you have got 90% of what I think should be.... The question is, once the sales start to diminish, the cash coming into the coffers gets scarce, so do we see any patches/improvements...or a new version EIC 2 or something. Personally, for a serious patch, I would pay something, but I dont think there are enough of us out there..... sorry, rambling a bit..PS Can we have a Gameplay section of this forum, as I dont see one..or many posts which would go into it...
PPS - how many games have been sold, and how many players are still playing it ?

I've been checking over the last week - never saw nobody....this must be a bug, or our settings need changin...all of us !! Re Ship simulators, yes, Greg is spot on. The Ship Handling in PotBS is good, but lacks something, EIC is good, but still lacks something, put the two together, and you have got 90% of what I think should be.... The question is, once the sales start to diminish, the cash coming into the coffers gets scarce, so do we see any patches/improvements...or a new version EIC 2 or something. Personally, for a serious patch, I would pay something, but I dont think there are enough of us out there..... sorry, rambling a bit..PS Can we have a Gameplay section of this forum, as I dont see one..or many posts which would go into it...
PPS - how many games have been sold, and how many players are still playing it ?

Yes, it must be a bug...i see many games created, but always with zero players on it...