• Crusader Kings II Expansion Subscription

Subscribe to the CK II Expansion and enjoy unlimited access to 13 major expansions and more!

• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

macgregor2150

Captain
On Probation
3 Badges
Aug 24, 2011
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • 500k Club
[EDIT] I am currently interested in assembling a group of 7 players, 'non Eurokorps' members, capable of knowing their schedules over 48 hours that want to plan a time to meet on gameranger, facebook, or text; and if the group doesn't assemble in 30 minutes, reschedule and try again. I personally cannot afford to be in a chatroom with people all day every day waiting for players, only to be replaced by AI when I'm not there to meet their everyday needs for players. In this game, every player will be essential to play. There will be no replacing players with AI for a session as it destroys their strategy. Players can designate or suggest the designation of replacement players for sessions; perhaps leaving them a note on their strategy. Impatient newbs that don't grasp the purpose of the 7 player group will be warned and eventually booted if they don't settle into the role the game sets for them. This is an arduous process I know. I've been at it for quite a while. I'm open to joining another group of players as well that meet some of the same standards I am setting. I DO want play, badly. I just don't want to play with unreliable, impatient, immature players with little social skills or knowledge of history or the game.

I'd like to eventually make and post some AARS and keep track of players performance for other members to see. It should be easier to find good players for this game than it is now.

Last edited:

macgregor2150

Captain
On Probation
3 Badges
Aug 24, 2011
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • 500k Club
My handle on GR is 'DH Teamplay'. I have practically every mod, but my preferences are All-in-One, TRP, Edge of Darkness, and World in Flames. I generally play UK/USA but will play any major country. I am in USA(EST) available usually at times between noon and 10:30pm to play(though not the entire time). I would consider myself an experienced player. I can speak Spanish if it would help bring someone into the group. I've always liked the idea of having 3 2-player teams(6 people) playing as Axis, Allies, and Commintern.

Nick3210

Captain
1 Badges
Aug 7, 2013
  • Darkest Hour
Good luck!
When I will finish my multiplayer mod and will find people for 5 vs 5 Big Game I'll call your community :)

macgregor2150

Captain
On Probation
3 Badges
Aug 24, 2011
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • 500k Club
Good luck!
When I will finish my multiplayer mod and will find people for 5 vs 5 Big Game I'll call your community :)
Thank you so much Nick. I would love to participate in ANY MP game. I'm so disgusted with Game ranger however. In literally years hanging around there, I've met very few who I would consider 'ideal' for a large MP game. I'm not even really sure about the ones I THINK I can trust to be mature, patient, and reliable while the same time with a good appreciation of history, gamesmanship, and cooperation(since we've never actually been able to finish a game). I don't want to play against gamers. I want to play against WARgamers. Big difference.

I will say that this idea of going on Game Ranger, opening a room, and waiting for 'walk-ins' is such an obvious loser. I get a little angry thinking this is the ONLY way a MP game can be assembled. This game is worth more than that. Even in the early days of the internet when boardgames were still dominant there were players websites that could be used to find the right players. If you want examples, I'll post the links.

Last edited:

macgregor2150

Captain
On Probation
3 Badges
Aug 24, 2011
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • 500k Club
We have 4 players ready to start a 6 player game. Waiting for someone to join as Russia. China will be here soon!

General Italia

Second Lieutenant
11 Badges
Feb 1, 2007
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
Are you still looking for someone for China or other major-like power?

macgregor2150

Captain
On Probation
3 Badges
Aug 24, 2011
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • 500k Club
So far, getting 7 people to organize a start time to play a game of DH has been achieved only accidentally. I would like to meet 6 people willing set aside an available window of say 8 hours(we don't have to play for that long) on a specific day; we coordinate on either discord, FB, text, or even gameranger so there is no waiting, and we play a session without the AI sending planes all over the map along with out of supply units. For me it's not an option. I won't play in smaller games where that one AI country turns the game into a joke. I want a serious game where the results can get an AAR and victories can be documented. Hopefully once August starts I will be able to retrieve the gang for the one save set in like March 1940(from 1933) in All-in-one as my German player should be back. Otherwise I'm open to starting any (historic) mod with 6 other people. I'm not interested in playing a mod with it's author. No offense. I just don't feel that's fair.

Cohen

First Lieutenant
15 Badges
Feb 19, 2006
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Iron Cross
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
Main problem of MP games of HOI2 is that often games end in '42 (I played HOI2 long ago, not DH in MP) - when either Russia collapse or the Axis goes nowhere.
It usually suffices 1 player to quit, that the game is bogus for all the rest of the team.

macgregor2150

Captain
On Probation
3 Badges
Aug 24, 2011
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • 500k Club
Main problem of MP games of HOI2 is that often games end in '42 (I played HOI2 long ago, not DH in MP) - when either Russia collapse or the Axis goes nowhere.
It usually suffices 1 player to quit, that the game is bogus for all the rest of the team.
So...you're telling me the problems of it? I'm not sure the intent of your post. You're not interested? I have some reliable players. I'm obviously still looking for more or i wouldn't advertise. If worrying about an early end is worse for you than an AI that flies planes with no range limit and moves out of supply units anywhere it wants along with no manpower limits. if the worrying about what if someone quits kills the experience, all i can say is play with or against the AI and enjoy.

MacGowan

AAR Author
2 Badges
Sep 10, 2008
  • Stellaris
  • Darkest Hour
I agree. Most MP games I've experienced has a lot of build up and preparing for war. then abruptly ends around 41/42 when someone's tired of getting their ass kicked.

Nick3210

Captain
1 Badges
Aug 7, 2013
  • Darkest Hour

But what's the point to continue playing when the USSR defeated?
Do you seriously believe that the Allies are able to win the game, after the Soviet Union fell?
If USSR fell - the game is over and you can start a new one... and next time you should find more strong Allies players :D

I want to say that it is a huge success if no one was failed in 1940 and 1941 and the game lasted until 1942!
This was REALLY great and long game and everobody got a lot of fun!
Of all our 39 big multiplayer Hoi-2 games only once the game lasted until 43 year.
So, the end of the game in 42 year is not a 'problem' but success! :)
I'm unhappy only if the game ends before 1942.

Last edited:

Cohen

First Lieutenant
15 Badges
Feb 19, 2006
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Iron Cross
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
In HOI2 (Competent) USA + UK could -easily- spank Axis because of rigged sliders (namely, Axis needed TC and thus had to go Central Planning. Allies are free market. It translated in Allies upgrading everything quickly to late war models while Axis was stuck to '41 models. Old HOI had 39-41-43 tiers). But at the same time, competent Soviet player does not lose either.

While I may be interested in MP games, I am still tinkering in single player first and then have to see if I can actually commit to a schedule for online gaming.

macgregor2150

Captain
On Probation
3 Badges
Aug 24, 2011
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • 500k Club
But what's the point to continue playing when the USSR defeated?
Do you seriously believe that the Allies are able to win the game, after the Soviet Union fell?
If USSR fell - the game is over and you can start a new one... and next time you should find more strong Allies players :D

I want to say that it is a huge success if no one was failed in 1940 and 1941 and the game lasted until 1942!
This was REALLY great and long game and everobody got a lot of fun!
Of all our 39 big multiplayer Hoi-2 games only once the game lasted until 43 year.
So, the end of the game in 42 year is not a 'problem' but success! :)
I'm unhappy only if the game ends before 1942.
I totally agree. If not to simply troll the thread; what is the purpose of these posts? If these guys want to start a debate on the validity of playing against humans or computers; fine. I'd LOVE to have that debate! I started this thread to invite others to join my MP game. I just had 3 posts pulled because complaining about the AI was apparently trolling. In the context of the thread I was posting on, I now get that. This is certainly trolling my thread. Some of you complainers want to respond go ahead. Or was it just to quip something negative rhetorically? SMH...

macgregor2150

Captain
On Probation
3 Badges
Aug 24, 2011
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • 500k Club
To play MP with 7 people in a way that limits the AI is NOT easy. It requires some maturity, integrity, and the ability to schedule well with others. 9 out of 10 people I meet on gameranger do not meet these qualifications. I'm not worried about what they're looking for. I wish them luck playing the game in any way imaginable. Print the game on CD and play air hockey with it for all I care. My only concern is for people desiring a game with 6 other REAL people and are willing to take the steps required to make that happen. Are we clear?