• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(94521)

Captain
2 Badges
Mar 11, 2008
  • Europa Universalis III
  • For The Glory
After reading the "The ending is not yet"-AAR and seeing that apparently Italy managed to move practically all of its POPs to a single state, i realized that i might not be doing things right.

So how to do i do migration on such a massive scale?

From the VikcyWiki i learned that:

- POPs with low militancy will migrate within the country in search for work.

- They will migrate when they have low cash reserves

So the basic strategy i use is converts POPs i want moved from farmers to craftsmen, and set taxes high. However results are varrying:

1) Does the POP have to be recieve less than a 100% lowest tier goods? Becuase that causes them to migrate at high rate but also kills population growth.

2) Does unemployment subsidies affect the rate at which you POPs migrate? Does upkeep increase as you deliberatly make POPs unemployed.

3) Is it better to use clerks instead of craftsmen as migrating POPs? I'm usely afraid of overtaxing them causing them to generate, but if i don't tax them hard they usually remain in their province.

4) Is there any way to determine which state POPs will migrate to when there is more than one possibility?

5) Is there any effective method of causing migration to your colonies with the aim of granting statehood? Since there is no factories in the colony, neither clerks nor craftmen can be used. That only leaves farmers, and the only way to get them to move would be overspilling the RGOs, but that is largely impossible for countries with a small and spread out population.

This is the time to post your own most effective methods of getting your POPs to migrate to the place you want them! :)

Internal Migration HOW TO

If you are referring to mass-INTERNAL-migration (eg. moving pops from one province to another), following a few simple rules usually does the trick:

0-EDIT: Pops won't move past a hardcoded range. In vicky, pops are divided between Long Range and Short Ranged cultures. Only LR cultured pops will move from China to Perou, while SR cultured pops usually only move to the next state. If you don't know which culture has what range, check out this table. And yes, it is possible to move chinese to Europe.

1-Best pops suitable for internal migration are craftsmen, the best party has "interventionism" as economic policy, since it allows you to max out taxes. In mid-to-late game, migration can be achieved under laissez-faire policy, but at slower paces.

2-To trigger internal migration:

• a. ALL factories in you entire country must be fully staffed, and no factory closed or currently expanding.
    b. craftsmen cash reserve is 0 (set taxes/tariffs accordingly)
    c. promote some craftsmen in source provinces - they will be unemployed
    d. build/expand one or more factories in target state
    e. Enjoy: once a month, your pops will move !

3- Notice that you can have some control over the amount of pops migrating, by adjusting taxes/tariffs:

• a. If craftsmen can afford 99% of every day goods, only 600/month will move*
    b. If craftsmen can only afford 100% basic goods, about 850/month will migrate
    c. If craftsmen cannot afford anything (0% of all goods), 1250/month will move**

*if this value reaches 100%, they start building up reserves and won't move anymore.
**though this will also cause starvation, and thus negative natural pop growth

As the migration day varies for each province, you can set taxes to 100% the first day of a month, force-migrate 1250 pops from each source province, and set back taxes to 50% the 29th of each month, to avoid overtaxing penalties (low natural grow, pops demoting), which are only calculated at the end of each month.

Last edited:
I use mass promotion of craftsmen throughout my unindustrialized states to incite movement into the industrialized states.

I try to avoid having more than 2-3 industrial states for the very reason that it is hard (impossible) to control which state your POPs move to.

thanks qwerkus for the excellent reply! You ought to copy paste that to the Vicky!

Any insight and the unemployment subsidies? Another thing i wondered, does it's upkeep increase when you POPs out of work?

And really nothing on turning colonies into states? Africa is such a nice place for immigration and assimilation compared to dusty old Europe!

thanks qwerkus for the excellent reply! You ought to copy paste that to the Vicky!

Any insight and the unemployment subsidies? Another thing i wondered, does it's upkeep increase when you POPs out of work?

And really nothing on turning colonies into states? Africa is such a nice place for immigration and assimilation compared to dusty old Europe!

I think subsidies are merely calculated from the population size. They wouldn't change much (though they decrease militancy, what I think affects migration).

And for Africa, as can do the same as you did to migrate them from one place to other within your country. Only that this time, you'll use labourers/farmers instead of craftsman - overspill the RGOs so that they don't have a place to work within the country and are forced to migrate to Africa (as suggested here).

Income of employed and unassigned POPs

Sorry to Misconstruction for putting a question in your thread but I thought this is related and saves starting a new thread.

Simple question, am I right in thinking that POPs earn the same amount of money whether they are gainfully employed or just "unassigned"?

I just wonder about this as I always seem to be doing harm to my workers, such as increased militancy or degrading to lower POPs (eg clerks to labourers), just to encourage some unassigned POPs to move inter-state.

And for Africa, as can do the same as you did to migrate them from one place to other within your country. Only that this time, you'll use labourers/farmers instead of craftsman - overspill the RGOs so that they don't have a place to work within the country and are forced to migrate to Africa (as suggested here).

More convenient to conquer a region in Latin America and assimilate craftsmen there.
Other than Cape Province, most of the provinces in Africa have horrible life sustainability and growth modifiers, migrating your subjects to Africa makes it more difficult to reach your historical ethnic population.