• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I was always partial to Epigoni I believe it was called. Felt like a straight enhancement of the game.

I just bought this on Steam about eight years after I last played it, and I'm falling in love with it all over again. I had previously tried Epigoni and Magna Terra, but ROA wasn't around then. Can anyone give a short comparison of the three? I presume you can only try one at a time. Like glennandre22 I really like colonisation, so I'm leaning away from ROA but interested to hear from its advocates...

Just as an update, I can't get ROA (2.01) or Epigoni (2.01d) to work at all, on a clean 2.36c install with no map cache - Epigoni doesn't get past Creating World, while ROA does but then CTDs when I click Single Player. Magna Terra (11-11-04) does work over 2.36c (checksum is NWAW), and lets me save, but then crashes every time I try to load a saved game. Not going brilliantly so far, any tips appreciated. Or other mods to try...

Have you "installed" them correctly? I'm asking because I used them entirely wrong at first. (Now I don't use any of them, especially not Epigony mod with it's too many provinces in Greece)
When you download you have several files alonside the mod folder, correct?
That mod folder is going into the mod folder of the game. You put those other files directly into the game folders.

Hope this was clear and that it helps! If you know how, and already done this then I have no real advise sadly :(

Hi and thanks - only the epigoni mod had anything other than a mod file + folder of same name. So for magna terra and ROA I just put the mod file+folder into the Rome/mod/ folder, whereas for Epigoni I allowed it to overwrite the files in Rome/gfx/ and Rome/map folders. All three of them need you to delete the vanilla map cache so they can generate their own paths and textures, though magna terra has a textures zip which I downloaded so I suspect that it why it works. ROA generates all the textures, says "map properly initialised" and gets to the start menu, but then CTDs when I click Single Player. Epigoni doesn't even get that far and crashes during texture creation.

I'd be happy playing magna terra if it would just load a savegame for me ...