• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think the view on this might also depend on if you are ok with the concept of cohorts beyond the CW limit joining the fight after some first-deployed ones have retreated (or were completely destroyed). For me that qualifies as "can take part in battle". Is it "realistic"? Hard to tell, because the depiction in a video game is not only just a less-then-perfect simulation (we don't simulate individual actions of thousands of soldiers) of reality, it is also inevitably a simplification. I doubt that in a real ancient battle with 10k on both sides 10k pairs of soldiers fought with each other ad the same time. There was depth, ranks filling from the back. IRs simplifies thousands of soldiers down to cohorts you deploy and I'm fine with some of them entering the fight later. I'm no historican, but it doesn't sound completely off for me that even entire cohorts might have waited behind in reality, too.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Currently, no more than 30k men can take part in battle at once per side

Ah okay, you mean that limitation of how many fight at once.

About CW - I guess we have to see how it turns out. With the upcoming changes to cohort sizes and even more to cohort numbers (especially how much levies will the pops provide) we will see how the CW affects battles. Especially open terrain and mountains are the two interesting aspects of terrain - are open terrains "open" enough and mountains narrow enough to matter from a gameplay perspective.

I know, what you mean with WW fronts, but I guess it won't be that much of a problem, at least they aren't in EU IV, where a similar combat width system exists. In EU IV the supply limit of a province is the more limiting factor, if I want to split my army.

and don't get me started on HoI

The HOI system is far from perfect, but it has the most detailed warfare and battle system. That's the reason why it would be delusional from me to say I:R is going to have a better system than HOI.

Edit: Because of the reasons mentioned in the post above from @Herennius I'm okay with combat width and such caps like only 30k soldiers at once can fight each other.

Last edited:
Reactions:
For most of the replies above, I really just want to say "yes". We all know how this current system is bad both historically and gameplay-wise.

But this is supposedly the season for making changes to "war" from the schedule posted last year. So if changes have been made to actual combats, we haven't seen them talk about it yet. We have nothing other than keywords, and we've only got 2 of them: "Levy" and "no more carpet".

I can't blame them. The DLC is about the Diadochoi so putting more writing efforts on them sounds like a sound business strategy. So hopefully we get to actually see what changes have arrived in the warring scenes after having gone through all the Diadochoi. Someone remind me if we have any of them left? Or can we expect the next Dev Diaries to contain more mechanical changes than mission trees?

Ah yes, the famous Roman Republican levy, a horde of Velites with a small core of HI....wait, what's that double icon?

Co-Consular armies?
Yeah, maybe indicating # Legates that are assigned? I'd have those symbols in the blank space to the right of the Governor's name if so, to save a little space.
Could easily just be a spot for modifiers that apply to that Levy/Legion, in which case they're in a good spot.

• 4Like
Reactions:
The unit visually drops back as its morale is reduced. There's no additional gameplay impact, just a nice way of making battles look a little more alive.

this is cool.

have you considered adding any Visual indicators of the cohorts manpower strength as well?

Hopefully they will tweak the cost and upkeep of legions or maybe add upkeep cost to levies cause if we use current price of units. Legions are like 7 times more expensive than levies.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Honestly challenging, powerful AI Rome and struggle around Mediterranean with pretty borders instead of salamander shaped Switzerland is all I want from this game

And it seems its happening

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
It's hard to compare them directly because the levy army in the 1st DD that they show the breakdown for is much larger than this one and has much, much more HI; this might impact the figures significantly.

So a levy army will be raised from the whole Province. And due to how Research income is lost, we can be sure some use Citizen Pops while some use Freeman Pops and so on.

It seems each levy will have their own commander? Interesting.

Ah yes, the famous Roman Republican levy, a horde of Velites with a small core of HI....wait, what's that double icon?

Co-Consular armies?
Those LI cohorts would represent mostly hastati and perhaps some velites, not mainly velites and I am sure they come from Roman freemen (HI represent principes and triarii from citizens and LC represenrs equites from nobles). So i think that freemen pops in the Roman case do represent people with Roman citizenship, but are less well off (poorer merchants and artisans) than people represented by the citizen pop, unless these freeman LI cohorts can be understood as auxiliaries without citizenship

Remember the discussions we had last week about whar pops represent? The comparison of pop types and related type of cohort in the context of a specific culture is informative at least for roleplay and immeesion.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Those LI cohorts would represent mostly hastati and perhaps some velites, not mainly velites and I am sure they come from Roman freemen (HI represent principes and triarii from citizens and LC represenrs equites from nobles). So i think that freemen pops in the Roman case do represent people with Roman citizenship, but are less well off (poorer merchants and artisans) than people represented by the citizen pop, unless these freeman LI cohorts can be understood as auxiliaries without citizenship

Remember the discussions we had last week about whar pops represent? The comparison of pop types and related type of cohort in the context of a specific culture is informative at least for roleplay and immeesion.

[first 3 points are kinda pointless historical debate about nothing]

1) Hastati aren't LI, they are HI, it's more about role and fighting style, further, Hastati had either Pectoral plates, or Mail, which puts them into the HI class, further, do to the way the ingame class separation works, Hastati should be HI, not LI

2) Even if, the number of cav is still way too high, a Roman legion had 1200 Velites, 1200 Hastati, 1200 Principes, 600 Triarii, and a poultry 300 Horse (feel free to debate if the Equites are LC or HC, that's not something that I'm interested in)

3) That's not how it worked, while Velites were the very poorest, and the Equites were the very richest, the infantry line was sorted by experience and age, not wealth, at least not since the Polybian reforms, very shortly after the start date, actually, it was used for the third Samnite, just for the finish, which would be the first big war for Rome after the start

4) further, this ignores the fundamental issue at hand, which is that levies seem to be a random hodgepodge, rather than a native fighting style, let's hope that levies won't turn the first half of the game into an LI fest

Reactions:
I don't know why additional unit modifiers can't be added to individual units. Hastati could be Heavy Infantries with a negative modifier, and Principes and Triarii could be really Disciplined and stuff.

I guess there are some indescribable limiting factor there so they have to treat Hastatii as Light?