• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mad King James said:
Early cannon and a good bow have about the same effective range, though later era field artillery could probably fire during the menouver phase as well. Rifles could fire in the archer phase as well.

A good musket volley should be devastating.
So advance would be all firing units attack?

Well not really. While military tactics usually called for archers to rain down arrows on advancing troops, musket's ability to rip through the entire front line of an army at close range, and very, VERY bad accuracy at long range, means troops with muskets marched up to right before skirmishing range and let fire.

Musketeers usually did just that, then drew a skirmishing weapon (sword, axe, etc). This until there was innovated a system of continuous weight of musket fire (in game terms I suppose this would prevent the opposing army from entering skirmish phase, and it stays in musket fire phase for another phase, unless the skirmishers succeed in closing.)

Mad King James said:
(in game terms I suppose this would prevent the opposing army from entering skirmish phase, and it stays in musket fire phase for another phase, unless the skirmishers succeed in closing.)
Or you get flanked on your blind side during your fire phase.

Mad King James said:
Well not really. While military tactics usually called for archers to rain down arrows on advancing troops, musket's ability to rip through the entire front line of an army at close range, and very, VERY bad accuracy at long range, means troops with muskets marched up to right before skirmishing range and let fire.

Musketeers usually did just that, then drew a skirmishing weapon (sword, axe, etc). This until there was innovated a system of continuous weight of musket fire (in game terms I suppose this would prevent the opposing army from entering skirmish phase, and it stays in musket fire phase for another phase, unless the skirmishers succeed in closing.)

Actually meleé combat was pretty rare: (unless it was about storming fortifications) infantry-vs-infantry, either one side or another broke after a few salvoes or they kept shooting (which was a *nightmare* for the commander, both sides basically exchanging fire at close range as that meant a lot of very expensive soldiers were going to die)

Remove counters in case of more figure sprites - extraction for Vote Thread
This is an extraction of ideas from the current discussion thread. These ideas are from various people from the thread. I only merge them into one post.

If more figure sprites get into game, it might be not necessary to keep counters. Size of army would be visible through number of figures. It would chalenge the game if player would know the size of army only guessingly.

On the other side here is still a lot of gamers that would want keep counters.

Last edited: