More logical capitalist building behaviour

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

De_Genius

Colonel
47 Badges
Feb 5, 2003
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
Overall I feel the capitalists are fairly good at choosing what to build and where, but there is one thing I have noticed in my recent run.
When the electricity goes down to being in a shortage, they pile on new power plants like crazy, often overbuilding this by a massive factor.
Usually I had subsidized power plants in the beginning, but often I am suddenly paying a massive amount for a lvl 50 power plant when 10 could meet the demand.
In other cases they seem to build 1-2 of a building, but power plants seem to have a special place in their heart.

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour?

Edit: I have a sneaking suspiscion that it might be because I have been subsidizing them, causing the capitalists to believe that they are very profitable.

Last edited:
Reactions:
There's definitely some unintended behavior around private investment into electricity, more so than transportation or services.

I imagine it's one the docket for 1.6 to hopefully be fixed or at least majorly improved.

Reactions:
First of all, I wouldn't bother subsidizing power plants. If they won't hire, then the demand just isn't there.

Second, capitalists have issues with power plants that go beyond what you describe. This is partially because of how electricity works. To get demand for electricity, you need PMs that use it. Fair enough. But it takes so long to build power plants that if you set an electricity PM, that building will starve for a long time because there is no alternate source of electricity. So, it's better to just build 1 power plant in every state yourself rather than wait on capitalists to figure it out with the added problem if you never swap to the PMs, the capitalists might not ever build a power plant.

Reactions:
First of all, I wouldn't bother subsidizing power plants. If they won't hire, then the demand just isn't there.

Second, capitalists have issues with power plants that go beyond what you describe. This is partially because of how electricity works. To get demand for electricity, you need PMs that use it. Fair enough. But it takes so long to build power plants that if you set an electricity PM, that building will starve for a long time because there is no alternate source of electricity. So, it's better to just build 1 power plant in every state yourself rather than wait on capitalists to figure it out with the added problem if you never swap to the PMs, the capitalists might not ever build a power plant.
More so, you can't even swap to electricity PMs without any electricity generation in the state. But yeah electricity is so in demand for most states that a general subsidy is unnecessary.

I think another issue with private construction of electric plants is the long build time, so the queue builds up as the system sees a continuing need for several weeks to months.

Reactions:
This mod should solve some of the problems.
The current private construction mechanism is deeply flawed because it does not check whether buildings are fullemployed, does not care about profits, is indifferent to local market prices, wastes too much money on agricultural buildings and are often fooled by excessive local electricity demand.

• 1Like
Reactions:
In my last game I set my power plants to auto-expand which alleviated much of the problem as the auto-expand would only build if the plant was fully employed and would prevent a nationwide shortage from just expansion and create a small buffer to use when switching to PMs that use more electricity.

• 3Like
Reactions:
More so, you can't even swap to electricity PMs without any electricity generation in the state. But yeah electricity is so in demand for most states that a general subsidy is unnecessary.

I've had states secede while I was building power plants. I'd get them back and the buildings were set to use electricity while the power plants had been cancelled/demolished.

I think it was a final "to Hell with you" from the AI.

• 1Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Edit: I have a sneaking suspiscion that it might be because I have been subsidizing them, causing the capitalists to believe that they are very profitable.
That's not the cause of the issue. I never subsidize power plants, and I see the same thing with capitalists wildly overcorrecting to small deficits in power and building tons of unprofitable power plants. It's very odd behavior, since I've never seen them overbuilding to that extent with any other building type.

The overbuilding of power plants has been around for a while, and I wouldn’t be shocked if the code wasn’t fully updated when they switched it to a local only good. Because they’ll build like 30 plants but only in one state, which might be enough to ameliorate every state’s collective shortfalls, but doesn’t make sense anymore. Honestly electricity being local is just so awful as a player/UI experience.

Reactions: