More end game random mess - China join the allies.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

marcelo r. r.

Field Marshal
11 Badges
Mar 26, 2019
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
It's 1950..., Since in 1947, turkey dumb declared on iran leading to WW3 in 1947 while german reich still existing, the i struggled to make Soviet Union survive, while i staying neutral(no faction), to make thing worse it declared war on japan.....

My strategy as "rich neutral" since the germany capitulation, was while lend-leasing tons of rifle to URSS, i was to try relief it from war with japan.

But i can't naval invade, allies are ignoring asia naval warfare, and japan have 300 + ships... my strategy to cofront my poor 50 ships navy against their deathstack failed. I slowing grinding them with minelayer and convoy raiding, their ships reduced to 150.

Then from 1948 i marched all southeast asia liberating Siam, Vietnan, then finally 1949 i arrived in china, i started a long march in south/central china to encircle japanese to reduce their numbers.

I'm against the clock, in 1950 the allies are at gates of Moscow(picture 1), Soviet Union is holding like a hungry dog since 1947.

My strategy paid off and Japan collapsed in china in 1950, they don't anymore enough division to hold my 120 divisions.
After the long run, i'm in manchuria near to liberate Vladisvostok to give the soviets a lifeline(i have 12km motorized divisions), while im preparing invasion of France(i need soviet union alive because i will invade france it only when have full collab).

Then what happen when i was few tiles of Vladivostok???
CHINA JOINED THE ALLIES!!

1679887117244.png

1679887159211.png

1679887185753.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
My takeaway from this is that you're playing the Union of Portugal and Brazil, something very alt-history, and then complaining that the AI does something in the extreme late game (1950, well beyond the normal scope of the game) that you don't like?

Nationalist China joining the Allies is something it's supposed to do given enough time in the late-game given that they historically go democratic through their focus tree.

Don't be scared, just fight the allies. You have 455 factories and probably massive stockpiles of equipment. If you've been managing your economy well you should have no problems. Hoi4's AI is still the AI. Hoi4 is a game about overcoming challenges, not complaining about them.

• 6Like
Reactions:
My takeaway from this is that you're playing the Union of Portugal and Brazil, something very alt-history, and then complaining that the AI does something in the extreme late game (1950, well beyond the normal scope of the game) that you don't like?

Nationalist China joining the Allies is something it's supposed to do given enough time in the late-game given that they historically go democratic through their focus tree.

Don't be scared, just fight the allies. You have 455 factories and probably massive stockpiles of equipment. If you've been managing your economy well you should have no problems. Hoi4's AI is still the AI. Hoi4 is a game about overcoming challenges, not complaining about them.

I'm not scared, just annoy me these tons of weird end game focus.

The China one straight up leave their own faction and join the allies, this isn't related to ahistorical doings, they always is doing it, no matter if still at war with japan.

I don't buy the "its 1950" as excuse to let the game unpolished, these "flavor DLC's" have giant focus tree's that end by 1950+.

Reactions:
When you play to that late the guardrails are off. Its going way beyond the scope of WW2, so whatever happens after that can and will happen

• 6Like
Reactions:
I don't buy the "its 1950" as excuse to let the game unpolished, these "flavor DLC's" have giant focus tree's that end by 1950+.
You can complete world conquests faster than 1950 and get all achievements by 1945. It's a world war 2 game, and world war 2 will almost always end by 1945 except in extreme edge cases.

What you've done is pushed the game beyond what it was designed to be and then blamed the game for being unpredictable(even ignoring the fact that China is designed to join the Allies in the late game and you could have predicted it).

If your goal is for the USSR to win and for the Allies to lose, why not help directly? I want to be constructive but it seems like you just shot yourself in the foot, repeatedly, and put yourself in this situation.

I encountered a very similar situation to you in one of my campaigns a while ago. In my Guanxi Clique achievement run where you have to annex all of China and Japan in a peace deal as a warlord, Communist China joined the Allies in 1942 for some reason after I had pushed Japan off the mainland. Instead of making a rage post on the forums about it, I disbanded the CUF and joined the Axis so they wouldn't fall even if they capitulated. I then built a massive army of motorized rocket artillery divisions to supplement the infantry I already had. I sent them to conquer India, Iran, Iraq, Palestine, Egypt, help the Axis finish off the USSR, and push the Allies of of continental Europe. This happened even after Italy had already capitulated and Germany was on its last legs(Literally, I basically did Chinese Steiner's counterattack on the Oder river)... I built thousands of tech rushed 1944 fighters until the Chinese Air Force destroyed the RAF and USAAF by itself. Finally, I paradropped on the UK and used the Japanese fleet that I seized in the peace deal and navally invaded the USA through Alaska and Seattle to capitulate them, winning the war. No rage threads needed, just strong gameplay. Not only is Guanxi Clique into China much weaker and slower to start than United Portugal and Brazil, but the PRC joining the Allies in 1942 with historical on is actually a bug, unlike Nationalist China joining the Allies in 1950.

The game will never be completely predictable, especially if you play past the years the game is intended to be played in. What you need to do is be prepared enough to deal with any situation the game throws at you.

And remember,

• 2Like
Reactions:
You can complete world conquests faster than 1950 and get all achievements by 1945. It's a world war 2 game, and world war 2 will almost always end by 1945 except in extreme edge cases.

- ppl don't get tired/bored of these "conquer world in 3 yrs with exploit's and spamming same divions" games?
- historical run controlled by AI don't end in 1945, the stalemate run throughs 1946.
- if the game have that "official end" is a more reason not to leave China with a focus tree where it excludes itself from the faction and joins the allies. This focus tree appears to be an attempt to set the stage for events in post-1945 China, the unification gambit vs the communist china.

- ppl don't get tired/bored of these "conquer world in 3 yrs with exploit's and spamming same divions" games?
World conquests are boring to me, but you don't need to exploit the game to do them at all unless you're trying to do one with Luxembourg or something. I was just giving examples of how even typical "long games" don't usually last until 1950. And I don't know what "spamming same divisions" has to do with anything, that just seems like a snipe at meta players.
- historical run controlled by AI don't end in 1945, the stalemate run throughs 1946.
The game is designed around a player picking a side, joining the war, and trying to win.
- if the game have that "official end" is a more reason not to leave China with a focus tree where it excludes itself from the faction and joins the allies. This focus tree appears to be an attempt to set the stage for events in post-1945 China, the unification gambit vs the communist china.
The Chinese Civil War is scripted to start pretty much as soon as China defeats Japan, so it can happen at any time depending on how fast China wins. Usually it's well before 1945 if a player is involved.

I do agree with you that the Chinese focus tree has issues, but that's more a function of "everything at the bottom of the tree is usually irrelevant because the game already did what the focus tree is supposed to do" than anything else.

You're also not supposed to completely finish most focus trees. A focus tree theoretically having enough focuses to last until 1950 (most don't) does not mean that the player is supposed to play until 1950 or that the game as a whole is designed to be played until 1950. The whole point of the more expansive focus trees is that you have many available choices but limited options in the time relevant to the game and won't get to everything before the game is over.

The game does have some token modeling of postwar events, but they are not the focus of the game and are probably mainly intended to be seen by people playing those countries that have relevant postwar events that the player might want to experience.

Someone playing China might want to fight the Chinese Civil War in a historical timeline. A USA player might want to have the Yalta Conference or form NATO. But those decisions and focuses will still exist for the AI if the game goes long enough. The game just isn't designed to be played that long. And even for countries with postwar content, it usually doesn't take until 1950 to experience it.

A fairly typical single player hoi4 game with an experienced player where the player picks a side and tries to win ww2 will end around 1942. If the player is playing the USA and wants to fight the USSR, the USA player can go from defeating Germany in 1942 to defeating the USSR in another year or two, or 1944. That's ww2 and ww3 over before 1945 in a fairly normal time frame as far as the game is concerned. And I'm not talking about exploits or anything. Just good solid gameplay. If a Germany player is skilled enough to capitulate the USSR in six months starting from Western Poland as Germany in 1941, they can definitely also capitulate the USSR in six months as the USA starting from West Germany in 1942-3 with how much more powerful the USA is and the extra year of buildup.

Minors are going to be lower impact than majors and take longer to end the war, but not that much longer. It only took me until 1945 to conquer both the Axis and USSR as SFR Yugoslavia(a very weak starting minor with a dated and weak focus tree) without fighting the Allies. That's basically the same thing as fighting ww2 and then ww3 from an allied perspective. I even still have a screenshot from it!

1679926172249.png
Playing for world conquest or for a peace deal with the allies as an ahistorical minor nation until 1950 is just not what the game is designed around, even if the game includes a little bit of postwar content.

Reactions:
The enemy of my enemy is my enemy of the day after tomorrow (Ciaphas Cain warhammer 40k)

The first lession i have learn from my poland testrun before barbarossa is the play over a trail. Germany vs Russia = no border no war. But one of him will attack Poland! As i have war with russia, i attack yugoslavia to and then they join the coms. When germany attack yoguoslavia too the great war 2 began. Same thing with South Africa after german rebellion. I have war with GXC to save ressource for my africa campaign and attack portugal. About this portugal join the china front. Better china as allies. Harder was for me bring Nat. Spain to the coms as Finland.

But i can't naval invade, allies are ignoring asia naval warfare, and japan have 300 + ships... my strategy to cofront my poor 50 ships navy against their deathstack failed. I slowing grinding them with minelayer and convoy raiding, their ships reduced to 150.

Have you test Navalbomber? Paradrop? How efficience are mines with plaines? Air superiority must be for you easy. There are not enough airports and the AI will never build them. Japan most airwings are interceptors and at the carrier. Naval war hit and run with speed destroyer? Oh wait blockade runner is buggy. From where got japan his oil? Dutch east india or South America? Can you cut the traderout?

After the long run, i'm in manchuria

Manchuria with AI und obedience path has poor stability and warscore. With luck are the valued negativ and they have strike. The military production is equal to zero. Japan steal 2 from 3 factorys. Good chance to start a civil war?! Sound better as support rebells in china. From my many games as Manchurua obedience i know Japan has much logistics problems. Special regional malus make it not better. Take or destroy the ports at asia. And wait for the raintime he move out fast or stay with low org at the front.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The enemy of my enemy is my enemy of the day after tomorrow (Ciaphas Cain warhammer 40k)

The first lession i have learn from my poland testrun before barbarossa is the play over a trail. Germany vs Russia = no border no war. But one of him will attack Poland! As i have war with russia, i attack yugoslavia to and then they join the coms. When germany attack yoguoslavia too the great war 2 began. Same thing with South Africa after german rebellion. I have war with GXC to save ressource for my africa campaign and attack portugal. About this portugal join the china front. Better china as allies. Harder was for me bring Nat. Spain to the coms as Finland.
Let me explain my goals, i prepared portugal(united with brazil path) til 1944, i did 100% colab on Spain then i invaded it in 1944, my factories jumped to 200+.

I also didn't helped the allies, because i wanted later a 100% collab on italy, to achiev this, is important germany be strong(to keep UK out of italy) but not enough to defeat Soviet Union(yes is a risk and delicate game), in 1945 i declared war on axis, letting some divisions on Pirinee mountain border, then invaded italy, was harder confront strong axis, but was sucessfull, 100% collab on italy, make my factories jump to 400.

My plans was, after defeat of Axis, pick up time to prepare 100% collaboration on France, then declare war on allies.

But before Germany capitulate, Turkey declared war on Iran(URSS puppet), this messed up all things, because Germany didn't surredered yet and still have larger swatches of URSS territory.

Then i rushed to expel Germany from URSS first, so its not become weak against allies, then i defeated the remaining Axis, Yalta conference triggered in the confusion of Allies x Urss.

I was OK with URSS VS ALLIES, because i know the allies will be stuck on URSS territory on long time, but URSS declared war on Japan, this opened a dual front for the URSS and the lost of Vladivostok(its important VP for long term URSS didn't surrender).

Then my goal was expel Japan from Manchuria/Vladivostok, not invade japan mainland, but Japan was strong on Asia(China near capitulation), holding entire Siam + Indonesia + Australia and close to surrender Yunnan.. I rushed my troops to there, expecting i can naval invade Manchuria with 120 divisions, but naval ins't possible.

Have you test Navalbomber? Paradrop? How efficience are mines with plaines? Air superiority must be for you easy. There are not enough airports and the AI will never build them. Japan most airwings are interceptors and at the carrier. Naval war hit and run with speed destroyer? Oh wait blockade runner is buggy. From where got japan his oil? Dutch east india or South America? Can you cut the traderout?

I have long range naval bombers, but in BBA theyre expensive and inneficient, theyre almost good against subs.
Japan had all indonesia and even australia.
My goal wans't invade Japan mainland, but expel it from Vladivostok to buy time to Soviet Union.

Anyway griding from yunnan and all china worked(im very experienced in land warfare in bad terrain), and farmed some generals skills/traits, not too bad!

When i started my operations the situation was like this:

1679958305399.png

1yr later
1679958423233.png

Then from August 1949 Japan troops on China started collapse, after repeated encirclements they started to don't have enough troops to hold me,
more 6 months later the objective accomplished.
1679958589408.png

Soviet Union still have lots of air to breath
1679958700468.png

1679958734959.png

when i finish next collab mission on France, i will declare war on allies.
1679958788670.png

Let me explain my goals, i prepared portugal(united with brazil path) til 1944, i did 100% colab on Spain then i invaded it in 1944, my factories jumped to 200+.

I also didn't helped the allies, because i wanted later a 100% collab on italy, to achiev this, is important germany be strong(to keep UK out of italy) but not enough to defeat Soviet Union(yes is a risk and delicate game), in 1945 i declared war on axis, letting some divisions on Pirinee mountain border, then invaded italy, was harder confront strong axis, but was sucessfull, 100% collab on italy, make my factories jump to 400.

My plans was, after defeat of Axis, pick up time to prepare 100% collaboration on France, then declare war on allies.

But before Germany capitulate, Turkey declared war on Iran(URSS puppet), this messed up all things, because Germany didn't surredered yet and still have larger swatches of URSS territory.

Then i rushed to expel Germany from URSS first, so its not become weak against allies, then i defeated the remaining Axis, Yalta conference triggered in the confusion of Allies x Urss.

I was OK with URSS VS ALLIES, because i know the allies will be stuck on URSS territory on long time, but URSS declared war on Japan, this opened a dual front for the URSS and the lost of Vladivostok(its important VP for long term URSS didn't surrender).

Then my goal was expel Japan from Manchuria/Vladivostok, not invade japan mainland, but Japan was strong on Asia(China near capitulation), holding entire Siam + Indonesia + Australia and close to surrender Yunnan.. I rushed my troops to there, expecting i can naval invade Manchuria with 120 divisions, but naval ins't possible.

I have long range naval bombers, but in BBA theyre expensive and inneficient, theyre almost good against subs.
Japan had all indonesia and even australia.
My goal wans't invade Japan mainland, but expel it from Vladivostok to buy time to Soviet Union.

Anyway griding from yunnan and all china worked(im very experienced in land warfare in bad terrain), and farmed some generals skills/traits, not too bad!

You do realize that if you just conquered Spain as Portugal-Brazil as soon as you could, you would get up to 80% compliance naturally well before 1944 if you kept it on local police force or civilian oversight..... There is absolutely zero need to go for 100% compliance on every country you plan to occupy. Because you waited until 100% collaboration to do anything you missed out on 100% of the industry for probably six years of in-game time.

Here's a much faster strategy to gain factories/manpower as Portugal with the Brazil path:
1) Release your starting colonies in Goa(Portugese Raj) and East Timor(Portugese East Indies) as collaboration governments, you have the compliance already or will very early into the game.
2) Unify with Brazil
3) Conquer Spain
4) Fight the Netherlands and take the Dutch East Indies, giving the land to your already existing collaboration government that you get 75% of the factories from. You can also use the massive manpower pool to make puppet divisions from.
5) Can be combined with the previous one or done instead if you don't want an easier head start. Fight the UK and grab India while the UK is busy dealing with Germany. You don't even need to naval invade anywhere, the land in India goes automatically to your puppet and you can station an army there before the war starts. While the UK is busy being distracted by Germany, you can build up a submarine fleet to convoy raid the UK out of fuel until you can naval invade it or the Axis does it for you. Since you can easily take both sides of Gibraltar, the Italian fleet is free to leave the Med and the UK can't contest it.
4) Do whatever else you want.

Reactions:
You do realize that if you just conquered Spain as Portugal-Brazil as soon as you could, you would get up to 80% compliance naturally well before 1944 if you kept it on local police force or civilian oversight..... There is absolutely zero need to go for 100% compliance on every country you plan to occupy. Because you waited until 100% collaboration to do anything you missed out on 100% of the industry for probably six years of in-game time.

- Spain have problematic mechanics(i discussed it here), it don't have cores on half of it, and if u annex it before Spain core itself using their mechanics(a set of decisions), some of these states become "colony states"(compliance will never go up and recruitable population is near zero).. They start take these decisions on mid 1943 and finish just in time months before the debuff which forbidd them join a faction expires.
- Their initial industry is negligible, almost empty states, when u annex it later, it have build more industry for u(see bellow the cons).
- The main problem of Empire Of Portugal and Brazil, is still population, not industry. We have 130 factories, 100~75mils, and til 1944 we built enough equipment to fill all our divisions in the manpower limit. We can afford like 120 of the 9/1 infantry(caped by manpower not equipment), before declare war on spain.

The real CONs of late war on Spain is the lock of wartime-only laws:
- the Extensive Conscription(10%) requires enemy with at least 50% of our army, in some runs, Spain is behind our 120 divisions, alternatively u can build only 48 (is very rare Spain build larger army before 44, happened only once they deployed 65 divisions).
- War economy requires enemy with least 40% of our total factories, Portugal+Brazil always top it... alternatively u can count Spain factories and then delete few of your own(i don't recommend it, but work lol).

5) Can be combined with the previous one or done instead if you don't want an easier head start. Fight the UK and grab India while the UK is busy dealing with Germany.

- i helped the path of "help Axis" before, after annex Spain in 1944, we can afford enough divisions to fight in africa, india, take guianas and even some reserve in europe. but i get bored of that lol.
- yeah India combined with your national spirits, jump your recruitable to 10 million man!! and this is with 0 compliance.
- i started "fight the axis", when i was trying these achiev related to grind general status, then i realized fight Axis at right time is more challenge and IC rewarding(100% collab on italy + your Spain, let ur with 450 factories).

Now its time to invade france, i have 75% collab on it, it solves all your lack of steel problems!
1679969940309.png

1) Release your starting colonies in Goa(Portugese Raj) and East Timor(Portugese East Indies) as collaboration governments, you have the compliance already or will very early into the game.

Can East Timor be released as a collab government now? I hadn't checked in a while, but I didn't think there were any foreign cores in that state. I agree with your other advice, as the collab government in Goa can turn India into a really useful Puppet.

Reactions:
- Spain have problematic mechanics(i discussed it here), it don't have cores on half of it, and if u annex it before Spain core itself using their mechanics(a set of decisions), some of these states become "colony states"(compliance will never go up and recruitable population is near zero).. They start take these decisions on mid 1943 and finish just in time months before the debuff which forbidd them join a faction expires.
- Their initial industry is negligible, almost empty states, when u annex it later, it have build more industry for u(see bellow the cons).
Some factories in 1937-8 is better than no factories until 1944. It's the old "Anschluss early or wait for Austria to build factories" argument in another form, and as typical the earlier annexation is better for snowballing. Some factories now are worth more than no factories now but more factories somewhere in the future.
- The main problem of Empire Of Portugal and Brazil, is still population, not industry. We have 130 factories, 100~75mils, and til 1944 we built enough equipment to fill all our divisions in the manpower limit. We can afford like 120 of the 9/1 infantry(caped by manpower not equipment), before declare war on spain.
This is why you occupy the Raj with your collaboration government and recruit divisions using puppet manpower. Even with only Portugal and Brazil you should have 500k+ manpower on limited, so I don't know what the problem is.
- the Extensive Conscription(10%) requires enemy with at least 50% of our army, in some runs, Spain is behind our 120 divisions, alternatively u can build only 48 (is very rare Spain build larger army before 44, happened only once they deployed 65 divisions).
You can either take those laws when at war with the Brazilian loyalists before your factory count inflates (if your war support is high enough, I can't remember if it is) or wait until war with the Allies and then do it immediately.
- War economy requires enemy with least 40% of our total factories, Portugal+Brazil always top it... alternatively u can count Spain factories and then delete few of your own(i don't recommend it, but work lol).
This one is easier, you can artificially deflate your civilian factory count by trading away all your factories temporarily. It's been a while so I'm not completely sure on this one, but you might have enough war support to do it during your initial involvement in the Brazilian civil war as well.
Can East Timor be released as a collab government now? I hadn't checked in a while, but I didn't think there were any foreign cores in that state. I agree with your other advice, as the collab government in Goa can turn India into a really useful Puppet.
You could be right, admittedly it's been a long time since I played it so I was just throwing around stuff that sounded good in my head.

it can't.

Reactions:
You can either take those laws when at war with the Brazilian loyalists before your factory count inflates (if your war support is high enough, I can't remember if it is) or wait until war with the Allies and then do it immediately.
You can't, only the "partial mobilization" at max. its turns into debuff after war if not enough war support, then need wait til the next focus is complete(its giver + 20% war support).

I follow the path to fight brazilian loyalists very earlier, so it don't count as strong in any criteria.

I did a run of this just for fun to see how fast I could win the war, and I got the Allies and Axis both defeated by December 1941. I attacked Spain at the end of 1939, as soon as I got to the focus that gives the wargoal. Then I justified on the UK in mid-1940 and paradropped on Portsmouth in March '41 after grinding down the RAF for a year with 1940 and some 44 fighters, bringing in my army to end the war against the Allies (with 75% collaboration on the UK) by April.
uk annexed.jpg

Then I admittedly did a very very bad thing and Order 66'd Germany as soon as they declared war on the USSR. I did this by leaving the Axis and declaring war on Vichy France (a wargoal I had from my national focus). I then joined the Comintern as we were both fighting against the Axis. I'll be honest, I didn't need to execute Order 66, I could have just pushed through France pretty easily while Germany was busy fighting the USSR in a two-front war. I had a vastly superior air force compared to the Axis, as I had tech rushed fighter 3 and finished them in December 1940. I chose to Order 66 because It makes things faster and less tedious.
execute order 66.jpg

With Germany out of the picture, all I had to do was go through Vichy France and Yugoslavia to capitulate Italy and then Bulgaria which became a major. I ended up winning the war in December 1941. Without Order 66, the war probably takes me until mid-late 1942. Germany's army would be mostly tied up on the eastern front the whole time, and I would have had the advantage of player micro to take out everything in the West by myself.
portugese war won.jpg

Here's my production tab if you're curious what I was building all game. I basically just did infantry + fighters, Portugal only starting with two research slots and little industry really cripples its ability to do tanks. I took advantage of all the research and production bonuses Portugal gets for fighters, and just won by microing Superior Firepower 9/3 infantry with green air and no CAS.
protugal production.jpg

Bonus: Hitler escaped to South America because I didn't realize that Germany still had territory left, and the USSR AI left him alone too.
hitler escaped.jpg

The point of all of this is that the game is much easier when you just go in with an aggressive gameplan and execute it. Sitting around until 1945 to declare war just lets the AI build up massive numbers of divisions and equipment. No one wants to be slogging it out until 1950, so make things easier on yourself by just going in earlier. It's not very hard, and you get to avoid any late game AI randomness that happens when the time period the game is designed around is over.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
As for the economy law situation with Portugal, I had about 900k total manpower available + in the field + in training when I got to limited conscription with only Portugal and Brazil as my territory, which was plenty until I had to scale my army up before fighting the Axis.

I took partial mobilization as soon as I finished the focus that gave +20% war support, and went to war economy as soon as I declared on the UK in January 1940(didn't have the war support when I attacked Spain due to the offensive war penalty and lack of world tension). Not the greatest, but it's about the best you can do as a non-aligned nation. If I had been more mindful at the time, I think I could have done it during my war with Spain if I took one of the war-gated propaganda decisions and also sent an attache to China or Japan(and trade my civs away to lower my factory count), but I forgot.

Reactions:
As for the economy law situation with Portugal, I had about 900k total manpower available + in the field + in training when I got to limited conscription with only Portugal and Brazil as my territory, which was plenty until I had to scale my army up before fighting the Axis.

I took partial mobilization as soon as I finished the focus that gave +20% war support, and went to war economy as soon as I declared on the UK in January 1940(didn't have the war support when I attacked Spain due to the offensive war penalty and lack of world tension). Not the greatest, but it's about the best you can do as a non-aligned nation. If I had been more mindful at the time, I think I could have done it during my war with Spain if I took one of the war-gated propaganda decisions and also sent an attache to China or Japan(and trade my civs away to lower my factory count), but I forgot.
must not forgot also turn one of these capitals ships acquired from Brazil into "pride of the fleet" +5% War Support.

What is this "trade civs"? if i spend everything in trade, its lower the count? this is great to know.

Reactions: