• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chatnoir17

CK2 NMIH Project Lead
98 Badges
Sep 17, 2009
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Divine Wind
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Diplomacy
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Age of Wonders III
  • BATTLETECH
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
MIH ver.0.684(15.02.2013)

Main (planned) features of Monumenta Iaponiae Historica (MIH)

I. Scenarios of several interesting periods in the Japanese history
Green: playable Yellow: under construction Red: not touched yet
1. The Genpei War(1180)
2. The Nanbokucho Period(1333)
3. The Reign of Ashikaga Yoshimitsu(1399)
4. the Onin War(1467)
5. The Day of the Fathers(1534)
6. The Rise of Nobunaga(1551)
7. The Battle of Kawanakajima (1561)
8. The Anti-Nobunaga Alliance(1570)
9. The Incident of Honnoji (1582)
10. The Battle of Sekigahara(1600)

II. Expanded Family Trees for Historical Characters
These 10 scenarios mean of course the significant increase of characters, however MIH added their ancestors too. For example, the clan members of the Shimazu or Date appear in each scenario, and these characters are tied with the father-son relationship between 1180 (or earlier) and 1600.

III. Expanded Game Mechanics
The following features are already added in MIH.

1. Additional events
a. Interactions with the Imperial Court
b. Seasonal events
c. Educational events
d. Historical events for each scenario
e. Building events

2. More thrilling battle
a. x3 Movement of the Army
b. Siege check in each 15 days

3. Provincial management
a. altered building effects of castles and cities
b. added new guild buildings
c. All provinces are specialized as economical base or military base.

4. New traits with Japanese virtues and kanji
Since the traits of vanilla contain some Western virtues and icons such as angel, MIH replaced them with Japanese ones. Some of you might be unable to read kanji, but they are just icons, so you don't need to understand them. Please just try to feel them instead of "to read"!

5. Optional anime/manga character portraits

... and more will come in future!

IV. I need your help!
Since I am the only one active modder for this mod (except some supporters in the credit list) and there are so many thing to be added, I really need any help for this mod. If you are interested in adding characters, scripting events or painting, it would be very appreciated. Mod beginners are also welcomed. Sengoku is rather simple game, and good one to learn how to mod the Paradox games.

Credits
- avee for further family relationship modifier
- awak for the wonderful data of the Genpei War scenario
- Hister for some English corrections
- soran for creating Battle of the Sekigahara scenario
- Gshock for the historical reseach
- Shogun 144 for the texts of adding traits

Why does this mod has a Latin name?
As the tendency of major mods on this forums on the one hand, and as the homage to an historical record "Monumenta Historiae Iaponiae" written by the Jesuits and to "Monumenta Germaniae Historica".

Any help and feedback will be very appreciated!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
To do List and Change Logs

To do List
High Priority(The current tasks. I am still waiting for your feedback!)
- add more characters into the existing scenario, especially post 1551
- write texts for the personality traits
- add more events

Middle Priority(Some more thought needed)
- rebalance the events
- create 1534 scenario
- make each Religion more unique

Low Priority(Basic concept needed)
- add clan ranks
- make more events with lifestyle events
- create 1333, 1399, and 1570 scenarios.

And "no plan" by now, but something to be done in future
- More interactions between characters
- More playability for vassals
- Westerners events

Change logs
Code:
ver.0.684
- fixed the crush bug in late scenario.

ver.0.6833
- removed some characters from 1467 scenario.
- added some buildings for 1467 scenario.
- added some trait event texts.

ver.0.6832
- fixed a CTD issue at the game start.
- added some characters.

ver.0.6831
- fixed the localization error for the imperial court decisions.
- added 1570 scenario.
- added some characters.
- fixed some wrong character data.

ver.0.683
-added texts for some personality trait events.
-added four icons for the seasons.
-rulers near from Kyoto (Yamashiro) can improve honor cheaper by the imperial decisions.
-added an event chain for Takigawa clan in 1582 scenario.
-tweaked effects of some buildings.
-tweaked the religious buildings.
-added some characters.
-fixed some bugs.

ver.0.682
- added some characters and stats.
- added an event to hire a random character.
- fixed some typos.

ver.0.681
- added 1582 scenario.
- fixed some bugs.

ver.0.68
- added economy and military setup after 1300.
- added some characters

ver.0.67
- added avee's family relations mod for CK2 with a small adjustment for Sengoku.
- added more characters for 1180 and 1551 scenario. (1551: Nr.-800 in Vanilla, 1180: Tokai Region)
- tweaked MTTHs for adding/removing personality traits.
- added positive events for military/economic buildings.
- added character stats for clan leaders in 1180 scenario.
- removed unplayable 1333, 1399 and 1582 scenarios.
- added 1561 scenario.
- tweaked the garden event (4002).
- added blocks to 1467 scenario.
- added hostages in 1551 scenario.
- corrected the information about westernization in 1551 scenario.
- fixed some effects of building combo events.
- fixed many typos. (Thanks, Jamie500!)

ver.0.66
- added more ambitions.
- added event texts for gaining traits.
- added revolt events of the Taira retainers for 1180 scenario.
- added two historical events (the civil war of the Ouchi clan and the Uesugi succession by Nagao Kagetora) for 1551 scenario.

ver.0.65
- Now the Imperial family has own culture (imperial family), so that their names are specialized.
- added all landholders in 1551 scenario. Other characters should be added, though.
- added some gold mines in the provinces
- added some spas in the provinces
- added event text for the good/bad crops and famine events
- wrote the building texts on the interface
- added anime styled character portraits in the extra folder

ver.0.64
- tweaked new guild buildings
- added "blocks" for 1180 scenario
- added some building events
- changed famine chain events
- added some characters and clans

ver.0.63
- tweaked new guild buildings
- added building combination events
- changed names of castle and city levels
- added typhoon event
- added some characters and clans for later scenario

ver.0.62
- added new guild buildings
- altered drought and flood events
- fixed some diplomacy relations in 1467 scenario
- added some characters and clans

ver.0.61
- fixed CTD with the savedata
- tweaked the snowfall event
- added some characters in the Onin War scenario

ver.0.6
- added the Onin War scenario based on the Divided Clans Mod
- changed some effects of health traits
- tweaked the hard winter events
- added some impassable mountains
- removed the random courtier decision
- manor events don't happen after 1400

ver.0.05 from the Genpei War mod ver.0.461
- added four seasons events and tax changes
- added Sekigahara scenario

Bugs

Last edited:
Screenshots

1180 Map

1333 Map (making now)

1467 Map

1561Map
1561map.png

Planed 1582 scenario

Characters are also "japanized"... (These are optional!)
sengokuportraits.png

Last edited:
Congratulations for the awesome name!

And a deep bow for dedication!

... Wish you nice holidays bro :D Hope you don't miss your family too much...

Edit: Tried the newest changes and the seasonal income is really great - am glad it came out so well. Game feels much more organic now. Nice to be able to see which season it is also in the provincial window.
I thought you were ok with the fact that it was actually the spring when the income/famine wise it was the low point of the 4 seasons and not the winter? Why did you opt for the winter to be the lowest point then?
This game is shaping to be really great - good job!

I would exclude some traits from the women character. It seems strange for women to be big tacticians and such. This should only happen in very rare occasions as per history. In general martial stats for women should be lower then they are now. What women excel at is diplomacy and intrigue. Those two stat categories should have been their primary role where they can back up their husbands and not the martial one. If your character sucks in the martial stats then there isn't much there can be done via boosting his stats by marrying him with uber good warrior wifes 'cos I concur there weren't that many with such traits back then ;)

So here is the list of the traits that women should generally not get:
Misguided Warrior
Tough Soldier
Skilled Tactician
Brilliant Strategist
Wounded (only very rarely, maybe tied to assassination attempts!)
Brave (only very rarely)

Have you changed the health related traits? If not this should be the general guideline:

Stressed: small malus points to martial, diplomacy, intrigue.
Depressed: small malus points to diplomacy, fertility.
Ill (should maybe be renamed to something less abstract because being pneumonic also means to be ill!): average malus points to martial, health, fertility.
Pneumonic: big malus points to martial, health and low malus points to fertility.
Lunatic: stays as in vanilla (malus to AI rationality and vassal opinion).
Leper (did this disease existed in Japan back then?): big malus points to martial, health, fertility, vassal opinion.
Wounded: stays as in vanilla (small malus to martial and medium malus to health).
Maimed: big malus points to martial and medium malus points to health).
Infirm: stays as in vanilla
Incapable: big malus points to martial, diplomacy, intrigue.
Drunkard: small malus points to martial, medium malus points to diplomacy, medium malus points to health, small malus points to AI rationality.

Much more logical if you set it that way isn't it?

Hunchback should have more martial malus then being Clubfooted.
Harelip, Lisp, Stutter currently all have equal malus (-1) to diplomacy - not sure how we can differentiate them in this regard? Which one should have been the worst for diplomacy ranking in Japanese culture?
Genius should maybe provide bigger boni but should be a bit harder to get?
Inbecile should have worse stats then Inbred. Being inbred does not mean you are de facto stupid.

We also need to change "Lifestyle" traits for they are currently being too generic...

Then the basis for traits will be done. :)

Last edited:
... Wish you nice holidays bro :D Hope you don't miss your family too much...

You too. :)

Edit: Tried the newest changes and the seasonal income is really great - am glad it came out so well. Game feels much more organic now. Nice to be able to see which season it is also in the provincial window.

I think this seasonal modifier would show some additional info. for provinces, f.e. fertility.

I thought you were ok with the fact that it was actually the spring when the income/famine wise it was the low point of the 4 seasons and not the winter? Why did you opt for the winter to be the lowest point then?

in spring and summer the commercial activity. In addition, A famine in spring is one year long prozess: Long rain in summer, bad crop in autumn and cold winter. So I would create such an event chain. In addition, even though famines were not special events in the middle ages, they didn't happen in each year.

I would exclude some traits from the women character. It seems strange for women to be big tacticians and such. This should only happen in very rare occasions as per history. In general martial stats for women should be lower then they are now. What women excel at is diplomacy and intrigue. Those two stat categories should have been their primary role where they can back up their husbands and not the martial one. If your character sucks in the martial stats then there isn't much there can be done via boosting his stats by marrying him with uber good warrior wifes 'cos I concur there weren't that many with such traits back then ;)

So here is the list of the traits that women should generally not get:
Misguided Warrior
Tough Soldier
Skilled Tactician
Brilliant Strategist
Wounded (only very rarely, maybe tied to assassination attempts!)
Brave (only very rarely)

The women have less chance to get martial educational traits because of the education events in MIH. I will reconsider these events and also add a MTTH to the personality event of brave. The women can't lead the army, so they have also less chance to get Wounded.
On the other hand, we have nothing to do with the random characters at the start. So some women might have lv.4 martial trait.

Have you changed the health related traits? If not this should be the general guideline:

Stressed: small malus points to martial, diplomacy, intrigue.
Depressed: small malus points to diplomacy, fertility.
Ill (should maybe be renamed to something less abstract because being pneumonic also means to be ill!): average malus points to martial, health, fertility.
Pneumonic: big malus points to martial, health and low malus points to fertility.
Lunatic: stays as in vanilla (malus to AI rationality and vassal opinion).
Leper (did this disease existed in Japan back then?): big malus points to martial, health, fertility, vassal opinion.
Wounded: stays as in vanilla (small malus to martial and medium malus to health).
Maimed: big malus points to martial and medium malus points to health).
Infirm: stays as in vanilla
Incapable: big malus points to martial, diplomacy, intrigue.
Drunkard: small malus points to martial, medium malus points to diplomacy, medium malus points to health, small malus points to AI rationality.

Much more logical if you set it that way isn't it?

Hunchback should have more martial malus then being Clubfooted.
Harelip, Lisp, Stutter currently all have equal malus (-1) to diplomacy - not sure how we can differentiate them in this regard? Which one should have been the worst for diplomacy ranking in Japanese culture?
Genius should maybe provide bigger boni but should be a bit harder to get?
Inbecile should have worse stats then Inbred. Being inbred does not mean you are de facto stupid.

We also need to change "Lifestyle" traits for they are currently being too generic...

Then the basis for traits will be done. :)

Thanks for this wonderful idea. I have add it to the middle priority of our to do list.
About the Lifestyles, they represent "hobbys" of samurai correctly. I think we can add more events about them. So I have added this task to the low priority.

Last edited:
Guys I need good SS of all Japan (not Shikoku, already done). I need both the Kuni and the Terrain view but I need them in good format so I can zoom in and read the names of each province before I can proceed with Kyushu. Unfortunately since the game turns off my computer when paused I can't do that... I could do that in 3 seconds all right but I am still in windowed low res mode so I can't help it.

Please take SS of Kyushu even multiple SS I need the Kori names readable and the Kuni names readable (in the small islands too).

Guys I need good SS of all Japan (not Shikoku, already done). I need both the Kuni and the Terrain view but I need them in good format so I can zoom in and read the names of each province before I can proceed with Kyushu. Unfortunately since the game turns off my computer when paused I can't do that... I could do that in 3 seconds all right but I am still in windowed low res mode so I can't help it.

Please take SS of Kyushu even multiple SS I need the Kori names readable and the Kuni names readable (in the small islands too).

I will make a white map with the province number.

EDIT:
Just provinces in Kyushu and Chugoku

Last edited:
Wow, once all that gets done Sengoku is going to be really awesome. :eek:

Good luck with this project!

I think this seasonal modifier would show some additional info. for provinces, f.e. fertility.
Really great!

In addition, A famine in spring is one year long prozess: Long rain in summer, bad crop in autumn and cold winter. So I would create such an event chain. In addition, even though famines were not special events in the middle ages, they didn't happen in each year.
Awesome!!! Really great what can be done with the engine.

On the other hand, we have nothing to do with the random characters at the start. So some women might have lv.4 martial trait.
I see, bummer. In 1.5 patch that should be changed - @Zoft!

Thanks for this wonderful idea. I have add it to the middle priority of our to do list.
About the Lifestyles, they represent "hobbys" of samurai correctly. I think we can add more events about them. So I have added this task to the low priority.
Am glad to be of service.

Wow, once all that gets done Sengoku is going to be really awesome.

Good luck with this project!
No need to wait - start the mod up - it's already quite an improvement over the vanilla.
chatnoir, maybe the low version number might be a bit misleading for the players - it sugegsts it is in alpha state when in reality it is in an advanced beta.

@GShock, nice holidays to you to! Been away for the days so if you need screenshots I can provide some tomorrow.

Really great!

Awesome!!! Really great what can be done with the engine.

About the seasonal events, I have noticed that AI disbands the army in winter because of the income shortage. Maybe I will increase the tax in winter, and decrease that of spring in order to represent campaigns in winter season.

chatnoir, maybe the low version number might be a bit misleading for the players - it sugegsts it is in alpha state when in reality it is in an advanced beta.

I will name the next version 0.5x or 0.6.

----------------------------------------------

About Provincial Improvements
Gshock has suggested some provincial modifiers to represent special products or manufactories, however I think we could use guild buildings for this purpose.
Here is my thought.

Each province (in 1467) has one basic building which represents the specialization. For example, "military specialization", "economical specialization" or "cultural specialization".
Each "building" has little bonus. These specializations are also requirements of other guild buildings and high level castles/cities. For example, the military specialization allows the player to build lv.7/8 castles and some training buildings.
We can also make some combi-modifiers with certain three guild-buildings.

Last edited:
So you're suggesting in Iyo you must build the mine before that bonus in revenue can be applied. I agreed more with this solution rather than doing it simply with the province upgrades but we postponed it because we have no graphic designer to draw the building type image... Of course that would be good but how to solve this empasse? :)

So you're suggesting in Iyo you must build the mine before that bonus in revenue can be applied. I agreed more with this solution rather than doing it simply with the province upgrades but we postponed it because we have no graphic designer to draw the building type image... Of course that would be good but how to solve this empasse? :)

For me, using same picture to several buildings is not a big problem. As you mentioned before, using some pictures is another solution.

I have noticed that AI dishand the army in winter
You mean it disbands? Interesting but looks like it is a hardcoded limit that does not allow the implementation of the idea to the fullest. Hope small changes like the one you suggested fixes the isue while still pertaining the feel that we get out of it.

I will name the next version 0.5x or 0.6.
Go for 0.6! :D

Good idea for provincial improvements. It is one step in preventing every province to have every possible upgrade and would make the gameplay more strategic for the player. AI won't be able to cope with it smartly but I suppose there won't be any issues for the AI aka this design will not hinder the AI.

#1 provinces:
Some special provinces can have all 3 basic buildings present and would thus be an important strategical goal for acquiring.

#2 provinces:
Some can have 2 basic building types present from the start.

#3 provinces:
Majority of provinces does only have 1 basic building type.

I'm just wondering if this design isn't too deterministic and too abstract?

Another idea I have borrowed from Magna Mundi mod is to tie clan leaders stats to what decisions/buildings/events he can do and get. So if eh has a low martial stat eh can't build advanced military stuff. Not sure what stats of his we can use for the economical aspects. What do you think?

@GShock: Here are your province/terrain screenshots:
http://www.2shared.com/file/pbuXFQKN/Japan_terrain_and_provinces.html

Let em know if I let something out. Good work.

I'm just wondering if this design isn't too deterministic and too abstract?

Historical setting means more or less deteministic, but I don't feel your idea is not "too". And we need good abstraction, though I thought each province has only one basic building and three more specific ones. I will consider the variety of buildings.

Another idea I have borrowed from Magna Mundi mod is to tie clan leaders stats to what decisions/buildings/events he can do and get. So if eh has a low martial stat eh can't build advanced military stuff. Not sure what stats of his we can use for the economical aspects. What do you think?

I think this mechanic brings more stress to the players. It is not the fault of MM, but the difference between EU3 and Sengoku. In EU3 the player has lot of things to do even if the ruler is weak at DIP/MIL/ADM and he can't choose some decisions. In Sengoku, I am afraid that this incapability makes the player boring. However, I think the stats should effect MTTH more, for example changing construction time or something like that. So "can not" is too harsh, "maybe" is good.

Last edited:
Historical setting means more or less deteministic, but I don't feel your idea is not "too". And we need good abstraction, though I thought each province has only one basic building and three more specific ones. I will consider the variety of buildings.
If the abstraction is well made then it is obviously a good abstraction - I was just afraid my suggestion about it was poorly thought off.

I think this mechanic brings more stress to the players. It is not the fault of MM, but the difference between EU3 and Sengoku. In EU3 the player have lot of things to do even if the ruler is weak at DIP/MIL/ADM and he can't choose some decisions. In Sengoku, I am afraid that this incapability makes the player boring. However, I think the stats should effect MTTH more, for example changing construction time or something like that. So "can not" is too harsh, "maybe" is good.
I agree and your view on the matter is brilliant - glad to provide an incentive for another interesting idea - or you were thinking down that line already before?

Administration stat is sorely missing in Sengoku. Maybe we can make traits that are connected to other game elements where it would tell us how capable the ruler is from administrative point of view. So we would have 3 ADM traits with #1 the worst and #3 the best. This trait would then allow/disallow/enable/disable certain other game elements. For example if a ruler has a very bad ADM trait (#1) bad economical/military/revolt events would happen much more often often then to the ruler who has the best ADM trait possible.

It can be very simple for starters and it would already enhance the gameplay greatly.

I agree and your view on the matter is brilliant - glad to provide an incentive for another interesting idea - or you were thinking down that line already before?

Checco and I discussed about that topic shortly after the Sengoku release.

Administration stat is sorely missing in Sengoku. Maybe we can make traits that are connected to other game elements where it would tell us how capable the ruler is from administrative point of view. So we would have 3 ADM traits with #1 the worst and #3 the best. This trait would then allow/disallow/enable/disable certain other game elements. For example if a ruler has a very bad ADM trait (#1) bad economical/military/revolt events would happen much more often often then to the ruler who has the best ADM trait possible.

We have also D/M/I stats. The administrave skill is the complex of these three abilities.

Talking about events is there a "like" "dislike" trait in sengoku's engine?

The opinion modifier works for your purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.