• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Zorro

Field Marshal
92 Badges
Mar 15, 2003
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Majesty 2
j7sp.jpg

”We owe it, therefore, to candor and to the amicable relations existing between the United States and those powers to declare that we should consider any attempt on their part to extend their system to any portion of this hemisphere as dangerous to our peace and safety. With the existing colonies or dependencies of any European power we have not interfered and shall not interfere. But with the Governments who have declared their independence and maintained it, and whose independence we have, on great consideration and on just principles, acknowledged, we could not view any interposition for the purpose of oppressing them, or controlling in any other manner their destiny, by any European power in any other light than as the manifestation of an unfriendly disposition toward the United States.”

This will be my first AAR for Victoria 2, should be a good learning experience. The plan is to take the Monroe Doctrine and Roosevelt Corollary to the extreme. American interests will be aggressively pursued as the Europeans are driven from the shores of the New World. The following are the goals for this AAR:

1.) Secure historical USA territory
2.) Sphere all North and South American nations
3.) Build the Panama Canal
4.) Expel all European influence from the “New World”
5.) Free Canada

The goals are not too difficult but I expect constant conflict with the United Kingdom because of them.

Version: HoD 3.03
Style: Gameplay

Table of Contents

Chapter 1: Manifest Destiny (1836-1852)

Part 1: Opening Moves
Part 2: Settlers
Part 3: Mexican War
Part 4: Opportunity Knocks
Part 5: The Second Mexican War

Chapter 2: A House Divided (1853-1857)

Part 1: Yankee vs Dixie
Historical Appendix I: American Civil War
Part 2: War of Rebellion
Historical Appendix II: American Civil War

Chapter 3: The Race for Empire! (1857-1873)

Part 1: Icarus
Historical Appendix III: Panama Canal
Part 2: An Unexpected War
Strategy Session #1
Part 3: The Scramble for Africa

Chapter 4: The United States becomes Stronger (1873-1900)

Part 1: An Expected Revenge
Part 2: Monroe would be Proud!
Part 3: Allies and Enemies
Part 4: A War Between Brothers

Chapter 5: The Golden Age (1900-1924)

Part 1: The Canterbury Tales
Part 2: Oh, Canada
Part 3: The German-American War
Part 4: The Restoration of a Nation

Chapter 6: Shall not Perish from the Earth (1924-1935)

Part 1: The Ending of an Era
Strategy Session #2
Part 2: The Weight of the World

Epilogue

fvuu.png

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." - Theodore Roosevelt​

Last edited:
Chapter 1: Manifest Destiny

edpy.jpg

”American Progress” by John Gast

Part 1: Opening Moves

”I see America, not in the setting sun of a black night of despair ahead of us, I see America in the crimson light of a rising sun fresh from the burning, creative hand of God. I see great days ahead, great days possible to men and women of will and vision. “ – Carl Sandburg

The opening moves are fairly consistent with what is expected with the USA. Balance the Budget, assign research, set NF, and begin influencing Mexico. Colonization begins in Idaho, Colorado, and Oklahoma. On the military front, the fleets and armies are given new orders. The army is sent to Arkansas and Louisiana and the fleet is sent to New Orleans.

The budget was easy enough to balance by increasing taxes to 100% and decreases to military maintenance.

tm27.jpg

Ideological Thought was chosen as the first research for the extra NF. Consideration was given to Romanticism as it is important to get so the Manifest Destiny event can be used. It is important to influence Mexico first before war so the USA can manipulate Mexico’s opinion of the UK and eventually ban them. So some time is available to research another tech first. Diplomatic points will be used to increase relations with the UK because it would be very difficult to fight a war against them this early in the game.

yxri.jpg

Colonizing Idaho is a priority to block the UK from doing the same and so Washington can be colonized immediately afterwards. Hopefully the British will stay out of Idaho and Washington and allow us to take it with no trouble. I do not want to fight a war against the UK this early in the game.

rvk8.jpg

“Westward the Course of Empire Takes Its Way” by Emanuel Leutze

Immediate concerns will be to beat Mexico, and possible the United Kingdom, in the colonization race. Another concern will be influencing Mexico so we can later go to war and not have to worry about the UK getting involved.

Next update the game will actually be unpaused and the AAR can begin proper.

Thanks for reading!

Nice, good luck on our mission to liberate all of America :D I did the same in an earlier game, and if you play your cards right as you said yourself, it can be done. Biggest problem is to occupy Canada, it's just too massive!
Thank you! Canada will be the most difficult goal I've set and it will take a large army to force the UK to accept any terms.

Thank you! Canada will be the most difficult goal I've set and it will take a large army to force the UK to accept any terms.

I was surprised that the UK had some influence in Mexico, didn't experience that in my game :S But anyway, yes get several large armies, a big fleet to be able to block British reinforcements, and always beware of the Russians doing something through Russian Alaska. And if you didn't know, it takes an ass-long time to move from one province to another in Canada.

Again, good luck :D

Last edited:
I was surprised that the UK had some influence in Mexico, didn't experience that in my game :S But anyway, yes get several large armies, a big fleet to be able to block British reinforcements, and always beware of the Russians doing something through Russian Alaska. And if you didn't know, it takes an ass-long time to move from one province to another in Canada.

Again, good luck :D
Belize makes the UK influence Mexico as well as the USCA, very annoying.

So will you do your best to keep the USCA united, or leave them to deal with their civil war?
Yes I'd rather keep an eye on one nation than several.

I will be following as great fan of you HOI3 AAR's!
Thank you! I'll try not to disappoint in Vic2 :)

Good luck, this sounds like a fun plan, it will certainly keep things interesting.
Thanks, I hope to keep it interesting.

Following!
I hope you enjoy the read!

Well I bet your goal will be to take Canada too lol.

Quebec is actually a huge territory, getting it makes a lot of Canada yours.

After your magnificent French AAR, I will definitely be following this one.

The one question I have is the decision to build up influence in Mexico. I understand the need to do this in the long term but what are you planning to do about Texas when the game starts? Most players just jump in to grab the easy Texan provinces but doesn't joining the war against Mexico freeze influence?

Well I bet your goal will be to take Canada too lol.

Quebec is actually a huge territory, getting it makes a lot of Canada yours.
I guess when I said "Free Canada" I didn't specify if I meant liberate Canada or bring them into the Union :D. Most likely just free them and yes either Qubec or Ontario first because of their size.

After your magnificent French AAR, I will definitely be following this one.

The one question I have is the decision to build up influence in Mexico. I understand the need to do this in the long term but what are you planning to do about Texas when the game starts? Most players just jump in to grab the easy Texan provinces but doesn't joining the war against Mexico freeze influence?
Thank you but I don't know how this AAR will compare to the French one.

Your question will be answered in the next update, which I plan on posting sometime today :).

Part 2: Settlers

e4kr.jpg

The Santa Fe Trail

To start things off the Spanish have discredited us in Mexico. Over the coming decades they will be made to pay for this outrage. The last remnants of their colonially empire will be the building blocks of ours. They are the setting sun and we are the rising sun.

g7ty.jpg

From here on out as diplomatic points come in, they will be used to increase relations with the UK until they are maxed out. We certainly don’t want the UK declaring war on us this early in the game.

Three steamers are added to production, because who likes making multiple trips? I large steamer fleet will be needed to move troops quickly around the Americas.

Enough influence has been gained with Mexico to increase their opinion of the USA to cordial. A good start but we aren’t there yet.

nrz7.jpg

Colorado seems it will be a battleground state between Mexico and the USA as we both are increasing our presence there; fortunately the USA has more colonizing points than Mexico.

a5up.jpg

The Steamers finishes and are sent to New Orleans with the rest of the fleet. The US Navy now has 6 transports.

We receive a useful event that will improve relations with the United Kingdom. Since good relations with the UK are essential at this stage, it is quickly selected.

75ts.jpg

Mexico has once again increased its colony size in Colorado and has begun to claim Oregon; I’m forced to do the same.

At the beginning of August I’m able to increase relations with Mexico to Friendly. With this new relation the USA can ban any other GP from influencing Mexico for one year. This is important because you cannot influence a nation during a truce and the USA will be at war with Mexico at some point.

Mexico finally saw reason and withdrew from Colorado, leaving it safe and secure in American hands. A few days later we’re able to claim a protectorate in Idaho and Oklahoma. Now the way is clear to begin colonization of Washington.

v4l4.jpg

Mexico is again battling us for land, this time in Oregon.

6b2s.jpg

The fleet started to take attrition damage so I had to increase naval maintenance spending. Fleets sure are expensive.

Wasn’t paying attention to influence and I now have 100 in Mexico. In a few weeks the USA will manipulate Mexico to changing their opinion of the UK to hostile. It will take the UK some time before they can add Mexico to their sphere of influence.

zi0b.jpg

In December the first issue of the New York News rolls off the presses. It seems as if the UK fears the USA!

qqkx.jpg

Mexico is now at hostile opinion with the UK. Mexico has also been influenced back to 100, this will slow down the British influence. The USCA is the next country on the list to be influenced so that begins.

dlr8.jpg

An alliance offer is sent to the USCA. They wisely accept the generous offer. I can keep an eye on them now and make sure rebels don’t tear the country asunder. They will also come in handy in a war with Mexico.

jq2f.jpg

Washington and Oregon have become protectorates and naval bases are being built in both states (protectorates). It is a minor victory in itself that the UK didn’t try to colonize these areas for themselves.

zin9.jpg

Now many fine American families can begin the journey to the new territory of Oregon.

aign.jpg

The Oregon Trail was used by many settlers on their journey westward. Also made for a fun computer game!

With the acquisition of Oregon the USA managed to secure the four territories and keep Mexico and the United Kingdom out.

ccv4.jpg

uqj8.jpg

The United States is beginning to form its borders

The USA receives the ‘Benevolent Empire’ event.

3sn9.jpg

Ideological Thought finishes giving us another NF, which is used to promote clergy in Ohio. The question now is what technology to research next?

Romanticism is important because it is a requirement for Manifest Destiny. Unfortunately with HoD so is Mexico not owning Texas. Which they are about to do in their war. I could intervene but this would take three wars with Mexico to get all my cores back. This is because Texas doesn’t own all of Texas and I would have to add Mexican Texas to the wargoals which would push the warscore required over 100. I believe it will be better to wait for Texas to be annexed and then go to war with Mexico for it and just take the infamy hit. With all of Texas in the Union it should only take one more war to get all cores from Mexico.

If I do go to war with Mexico then we will have a truce for five years so there is no rush for romanticism. I decided on Positivism for its bonus to education.

ycq1.jpg

USCA is added to my Sphere of influence but wait… what is this? Rebels! Big Brother to the rescue! The troops are loaded up and sent to the USCA.

rr54.jpg

The rebels were no match for the American Army, under the able command of Isaac Wade, and have been sufficiently mauled enough for the USCA to clean up the rest. The troops load back up on their transports and head back home.

aegs.jpg

I begin to influence Columbia and Venezuela. They were chosen next because Columbia needs to be sphered for the Panama Canal and Venezuela to beat the British to it. I was just in time as the British were already cordial with them and it was climbing.

This is as good a spot as any to end the update. Next update we might be at war with Mexico, stay tuned.

As always, thanks for reading!

Great update! I always really enjoy seeing USA games and seeing how people play them differently. Good luck with the inevitable war with Mexico, early on in the game they can be a pain!

Interesting gambit to allow Texas to be swallowed up first. I always favour the easy pick up from a quick intervention as Mexico tends to white peace after losing a few battles to the US Army.

I have found since 3.3 that the UK has lost interest in contesting the Washington and Oregon territories compared to the colony duels in 3.2.

I also wanted to compliment you on the art work. I look forward to the next instalment.

Great update! I always really enjoy seeing USA games and seeing how people play them differently. Good luck with the inevitable war with Mexico, early on in the game they can be a pain!
Yes sometimes I forget how evenly matched they are early game.

Interesting gambit to allow Texas to be swallowed up first. I always favour the easy pick up from a quick intervention as Mexico tends to white peace after losing a few battles to the US Army.

I have found since 3.3 that the UK has lost interest in contesting the Washington and Oregon territories compared to the colony duels in 3.2.

I also wanted to compliment you on the art work. I look forward to the next instalment.
I believe I can get everything faster if I allow Texas to be annexed by Mexico, but I certainly could be wrong. That is good about colony duels I was worried about the UK interfering.

The pictures are not my artwork but taken from various places that Google showed me. I did however, put those awesome black borders around them :D

Should have the next update up later today or tomorrow. I seem to be going picture heavy and had to whittle down over 40 SS I took.

Part 3: Mexican War

Columbia now has a friendly opinion of us. This puts the USA one step closer to the Panama Canal decision.

The time has come for war with Mexico. Sadly we cannot get all our cores (or rather soon to be cores) in one war. The process of justifying a war with Mexico begins. It is to acquire a state, I want Texas. Hopefully I can catch a break and not get the full infamy hit.

On January 17 we get the Horace Mann event giving us some plurality, prestige, and a nice amount of research points. Thanks Horace!

The research into Positivism finished and it’s time to select a new technology. So many choices, I’d like an army tech since we will soon be at war but the academic circle gives us an -10% for that kind of research. Instead Medicine is selected, which will help with the war.

h6td.jpg

The war justification has finally been detected on April 2, 1939. It went extremely well, only 3.7 infamy gained. This is a very welcome surprise I thought I’d be lucky to get 7 infamy.

Columbia is added to the USA sphere. The USCA is again under attack from rebels so an army is dispatched from New Orleans to assist.

Argh we suffer a humiliating defeat to rebel scum! The laughter from Mexico City can be heard all the way in Washington D.C. While I’m waiting for the army to get its organization back the war justification is complete. Columbia also offered an alliance which I accepted.

nggd.jpg

After a few weeks the Army was in good enough sprits to attack the rebel force again. This time victory was achieved. The troops are sent back to New Orleans and are ready for war against Mexico.

The Mexicans have an alliance with Columbia but I don’t think they can go to war against me since I am their sphere leader.

The British used the decision which gives Caribou (apart of Maine) to the USA. This increases our relation to 155.

In preparation for war I have Mexico ban the UK diplomats and wait till my influence is 100 again. A presidential election is taking place and I’m going to select all events that support the Democratic Party.

April 5, 1940: the United States of America declares war on Mexico.

h78l.jpg

Massachusetts recruiting poster.

Behold my extremely detailed and sophisticated war plan to crush Mexico:

muw3.jpg

The Dragoons will occupy Texas while the three other armies hang back and wait for the Mexican army to make its move. Once the Mexicans arrive on USA soil they will be attacked and annihilated. Once the Mexican army is defeated an army will be sent to siege Mexico City. When the Dragoons finish occupying Texas they will move west.

The Navy is sent to blockade the Mexican coast but this is mainly done just so we can see more of Mexico. No sign of the Mexican army yet.

m470.jpg

Not long after I typed that than an army comes thundering out of Mexico threating freedom loving people everywhere. Oklahoma City is sieged and the US Army moves into position. As the Army is moving the research Medicine is finished, perfect timing. Research on Idealism begins.

1ww8.jpg

The Americans move to break the siege and the Battle of Oklahoma City begins. The US suffered more casualties but won the battle regardless. The Mexican Army flees to nearby Santa Fe. Seeing an opportunity the Americans follow and at the Battle of Santa Fe the entire Mexican force is wiped out.

tsl8.jpg

f2fq.jpg

Battle of Cerro Gordo during Mexican-American War

The celebration is short as another Mexican Army of 12,000 men is nearby. The US Army gives chase but the Mexicans managed to slip away and are lost to the fog of war. The US armies are heading back to friendly soil.

A Mexican force of 21,000 men appears (no doubt the force that slipped away) and sieges Houston. The Americans race to get into position. Houston is nearly taken but all American land forces are in position.

jsqf.jpg

I’m going to try and von Moltke them.

ewn5.jpg

The battle is won and with all escape paths blocked the entire force was wiped out by the victorious Americans.

n1af.jpg

U.S. soldiers catching up on the news from home.

That should be it for Mexico’s standing army. An army is sent to New Orleans and then loaded onto transports. Their objective is a landing at Veracruz and then to capture Mexico City.

hfvl.jpg

Venezuela is sphered and I move on to Brazil only to find the British are already influencing them. They quickly leave with the arrival of U.S. diplomats.

On the home front New York, Pennsylvania, and Ohio all have over 2% Clergymen in their population. NF will be used in this matter until all states have 2% Clergymen in their population.

Idealism is finished and I decided on Romanticism just so it is ready when the time comes.

Mexico built up some troops and there are several 3,000 men units wondering around. I plan on engaging them piecemeal before they can unite.

At Albuquerque a battle ensues and although it was a U.S. victory both sides suffered roughly the same amount of casualties. These newly recruited Mexican units proved to be extremely fast and were chased around the map for some time before they were finally caught up to at Nogales.

jzv3.jpg

All of Texas is now occupied but the siege of Mexico City continues. An American army comes under attack at Delicias and I’m sending in reinforcements.

27x6.jpg

The battle was won before the American reinforcements arrived.

y5dz.jpg

After a lot of chasing and a few small battles the Mexican units were defeated and I can go back to occupying Mexico.

Brazil is sphered and work on Argentina begins. Things should go much easier now; no other South American nations share a border with a European nation. So I should have an advantage in regards to influencing.

Relations with the UK finally reach 200, hopefully this will deter them from attacking before we are ready. A few days later Romanticism is finished and State vs Government is selected to be researched.

4j23.jpg

After Mexico City is captured Mexico is ready for peace.

m6o4.jpg

The USA border is starting to look better. However, we’ll have to wait five years before they are historical.

p1fl.jpg

As always, thanks for reading!