• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
The value use is taken from the ruler, co-ruler or consort.

Martial
+1% Manpower Recovery Speed per Martial.
+1% Army Morale Recovery per Martial. (base values decreased some to balance)

Charisma
-0.01 Monthly Tyranny per Charisma
+0.2 Monthly Claim Progress per Charisma

Finesse
+2% Commerce Income per Finesse
-2% Build Cost per Finesse

Zeal
+0.01 Monthly Stability Change per Zeal
-0.01 Monthly War Exhaustion per Zeal (base values decreased as well)

Also be aware that the governor policies in the capital region is multiplied by the finesse value.

This is a great way to make the rulers relevent without mana, nice work!

Nice!
We shall wait for the final balance, but right now it looks good, small effects from monarch but nothing too strong.

Anyway thanks for all of these information and mini-dev diaries.
Cicero looks great, and your dedication for Imperator is really amazing.
I really trust you will make Imperator the best of every grand strategy games.

THANK YOU :)

Edit: Army moral recovery looks a bit weird IMO.
Why not just army moral?
1% army moral per Martial skill would be enough, without being completely broken

Cool!

Will generals stay the same as they are now?
If I remember correctly, only their martial stat does something right now. Would be nice to also have the other stats have an effect. Charisma could do more morale recovery and quicker loyalty and so on.

Charisma could do more morale recovery and quicker loyalty and so on.

Charisma impacts how quickly cohorts becomes loyal.

I'm in the camp that enjoy themselves immensely with Imperator as-is, but man, these changes are looking like they'll take it to a whole new level. Eagerly looking forwards to Cicero!

+0.2 Monthly Claim Progress per Charisma

Does this mean claims are no longer instant?

yes.. takes 1-3 depending on your ruler, current ae and other factors.

Seems neat.

One thing that might be missing is the lack of effect on diplomacy, feels like a ruler could have a big effect on securing alliances, trade relations and such.

Edit: I suppose claim Progress is in the diplomacy camp though.

Thats great Johan.

Seems neat.

One thing that might be missing is the lack of effect on diplomacy, feels like a ruler could have a big effect on securing alliances, trade relations and such.

This. Ruler charisma should boost relations with other countries or have a higher acceptance rate and have countries more easily agree to sell you their goods.

Edit: I suppose claim Progress is in the diplomacy camp though.

Agreed. It should increase acceptance of offers to other countries and the relationship or the dip reputation. Also make countries more willing to sell you their goods.

yes.. takes 1-3 depending on your ruler, current ae and other factors.
Can the size of the claim vary? From city claims to province claims? If yes, do you set how large a claim you want, or it depends on skill? Does it cost less time to claim a city over a province?

So I was actually right when few months back I speculated that the ruler stats will now just have some flat modifiers attached to them :(

At least they seem meaningful enough, that is good.

So I was actually right when few months back I speculated that the ruler stats will now just have some flat modifiers attached to them :(

At least they seem meaningful enough, that is good.
Flat modifiers? I would not count a scaling modifier as a flat one... The numbers are not fixed, so if you have a garbage or a god-like ruler you will actually see a small, but notable difference. For me, this change makes perfect sense.

Flat modifiers? I would not count a scaling modifier as a flat one... The numbers are not fixed, so if you have a garbage or a god-like ruler you will actually see a small, but notable difference. For me, this change makes perfect sense.
Perhaps the wording was incorrect but you perfectly know what I mean. Besides the numbers are kinda fixed: you get X value per stat point. That value doesn't change AFAIK - what changes between characters is what final amounts are gained.

Also I didn't say this system doesn't make sense. It sure does. To me personally though, it doesn't seem engaging.

EDIT: grammar, as always -.-

Last edited:
Perhaps the woring is wrong but you perfectly know what I mean. Besides the numbers are kinda fixed: you get X value per stat point. That value doesn't change AFAIK - what changes between characters is what final amounts are gained.

Also I didn't say this system doesn't make sense. It sure does. To me personally though, it doesn't seem engaging.
Aha, that was not all clear to me from your first post. Thanks for clarification.

I was thinking it could be something like a "pool" of different modifiers you could choose, or automatically get, based on the rulers personal traits and power-skills. A high oratory skill with silver-tongue trait would give one option (lower stability-impact on law-changes, shorter time diplo-annexing, etc.), a low oratory skill with corruption-trait another (less improve opinion maximum, buildings and troops cost more etc.). This way different rulers will give different modifiers on different areas, and it doesn't always have to be positive ones. Is this more in the line of engaging to you? It sure would be for me.

This is awesome! will have to investigate methods of removing garbage heirs, or perhaps appropriate marriages, would suck to get stuck with a crappy Charisma/Zeal character.
Claims and stability are ever so important.

This is awesome! will have to investigate methods of removing garbage heirs, or perhaps appropriate marriages, would suck to get stuck with a crappy Charisma/Zeal character.
Claims and stability are ever so important.

I hope not. If its part of the fun and the experience to see how a good ruler influences possitively on your country, it is also a fun part to have to deal with the struggle of a bad one. Imagine how shit CK2 would be if you could manage all your heirs being good by removing the bad ones, always having super rulers.

The fun of the game is to reap the rewards of a good ruler and to learn to deal with the limitations of a bad one, there lies the challenge and the fun.

I hope not. If its part of the fun and the experience to see how a good ruler influences possitively on your country, it is also a fun part to have to deal with the struggle of a bad one. Imagine how shit CK2 would be if you could manage all your heirs being good by removing the bad ones, always having super rulers.

The fun of the game is to reap the rewards of a good ruler and to learn to deal with the limitations of a bad one, there lies the challenge and the fun.

Sure, but that doesnt mean you cant / shouldnt be able to try choose or influence your sucessor.

In my sparta run i had a king without sons, so i enacted the law to enable his eldest daughter to be queen after him. Alas, he had a son in his late years... so i decided to kill it. I failed to kill it and died trying, with a 20 AE penalty (this is probably a bug / oversight - it should probably be tyranny not ae)