• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just thought id pop in, Im slowly reading my way through this AAR, I love the style, has the feel of a real Chronicle, Ive read a few Chronicles, well parts of them, in my time, and I love it.
Keep up the good work.

Ough, a serious case of missing an excellent update due to a too long holiday

:D

Rolls up sleeve, plunges arm into the deep dark waters of the librAARy pool

Here it is! Found it!

This excellent AAR cannot be allowed to languish in the depths. highly recommended.

The Thirty-Second Book of the Chronicles of Gregorias

OOC

He was quite the humblest man Brother Vasili had ever met, this Stepan the Serb. He never quarrelled or complained at his confinement, accepting all the little indignities with good grace. He prayed often, and spoke at great length to his confessor. He only showed the greatest agitation that his warning was being ignored.

“But what will happen when I die?” he had once asked Vasili. “When I am judged, and when the Tsardom has suffered greatly, they will judge me wanting.”

Brother Vasili had little patience with that turn of thought, but with Stepan he exerted especial control. “In that case Brother, you can only be honest, and accept whatever punishment or reward is offered to you.”

In truth Vasili was himself most concerned with the state of the realm, as he looked out over the valley. Oh, it seemed strong enough, but in his heart he saw only weakness. It was a curious position to be in. Here, from this mountain-top, he, like other Master Chroniclers before him, had a web of contacts which fed him news. He saw much of what was going on in the realm, and in the world. His mind was much concerned with these matters today, for tomorrow Father Andrei was departing for Moskva for a Church Council. Who knew what might happen there. The Church hierarchy was in a seemingly parlous state – the Tsar saw in it an enemy and so acted to keep it weak. It was rumoured that the Tsar was even now considering seizing church lands.

“It is strange to see you here Master Chronicler,” said a soft voice to his side. It was a local merchant, who kept the House supplied with various things.

“Not so strange Boris, you are just never around when this fancy takes me.” They stood together in silence for a peaceful moment, as the sun set.

“I have some letters for you,” Boris said eventually.

Vasili turned his eyes from the setting sun. “Come on, let us head back to the Scriptorium, and we’ll sort out your paperwork.” From the west a cold wind blew.

That winter the Tsar held a magnificent Christmas feast, and no expense was spared. There were acrobats and clowns, lewd dancers, coarse musicians, and all manner of irreligious things. In such small ways did the Tsar squander the prudence of his forefathers, and greedily he turned his eyes for new sources of wealth. To this end he set up a Board of Commission to examine the question of land practises. To this post he appointed twelve men, some of whom were worthy, some of whom were not. They were to visit every corner of the realm in four panels, and correct whatever abuses they found and to make what improvements they could.

By great fortune three worthy men sat on the same Panel, that which examined the lands of Old Russia. They found that the merchant-cities of Pskov and Novgorod had once again failed to maintain a proper grip on the peasantry. This was partly shown by the trouble some years previously. Desiring that such trouble should be lessened they set about correcting the deficiencies that they found. Upon the Tsar’s authority they instituted a series of reforms that saw each the village districts be re-established to better reflect the current situation. Also, they took a local census, and discovered the population of the area to be greater than previously realised.

Establish Cantonments (MP +6 MP in Novgorod and Pskov +1)

However, they were the only Commissioners were actually capable of carrying out their tasks, and even they were unable to raise the monies that the Tsar demanded. Thus the Tsar hatched a plot to acquire more wealth. He invited an embassy from the infidel who occupied Tsargrad, to discuss matters of the border (as ever there was talk of war. The Sultan accepted this offer, and dispatched a certain Pasha of great standing. Some thought the Pasha’s standing was too high, and many tongues rumoured that the Sultan was hoping his subject would find his death in our lands.

The Tsar treated him royally at first, and observed as thought that the Pasha had come with a rich, and richly appointed retinue. He feasted them for three days, and when they slept had them imprisoned on some fake plot. He confiscated their riches, thus adding to his treasury. The Pasha he had stripped and put in peasants clothes, and sent him back. The Pasha died on the way, and many claimed the Tsar had a hand in this. The others he hunted as if they were stags in the royal park, insisting he kill each himself.

Scandal at the Court (OE –100 DIP –2 for 4 months)

The Sultan may have welcomed this result, I honestly do not know. However, he used it to his advantage because he arrested two prominent merchants who were then in Tsargrad. These worthy men he had killed, and in recompense took all their possessions. Other consequences of this hasty action soon became apparent. Our merchants in other places became unwelcome, and many foreigners stopped coming to our ports and lands. Some praised the Tsar for putting fear into their hearts, but through this action he become poorer than ever before.

Of particular concern was that some foreign engineers that the Tsar had hired to build roads and bridges fled, their work half-finished. Thus the country suffered for the Tsar’s temerity. Thwarted the Tsar began to eye Holy Mother Church to sate his greedy ways. There were rumours that he intended to put the churches under his sole authority. This flied around the land and there were many small disturbances.

Poor Government Policies (Stability –1 Infra –600 Trade –600)

For Michaelmass in the Year of Our Lord 1578 a Council of the Church was called, for the Tsar had made a formal disposition. In this he claimed various rights and made baseless accusations. He now awaited the answer of the Holy Church. The Bishops and Abbots held many a long discussion. They had much to discuss apart from the Tsar’s intemperate demands. Many knew that to give in would be a betrayal of everything, yet many also were too scared of the Tsar. For Ivan Vasilievich had created an aura of terror and none dared stand against him.

Then one wise prelate suggested that the Church could deflect to Tsar by making him a grant of money, for it was money that was at the heart of the problem. This course of action was quickly agreed, for though some argued that they should resist all threats most were only too happy to have a formula to save their skins. Thus did the Church solemnly grant the Tsar certain revenues, and a large grant, and he was happy with that, for this was exactly what he wanted. Later I learnt that the certain prelate, whom I will not name, was paid by the Tsar to make just that suggestion.

Gift to the State (Gold +150)

This was not however the end of the difficulties. Because of the rash actions of the Tsar and the disruptions they had caused the harvests for the next two years were lacking. In the province of Orenburg to kindly actions of church missionaries in their troubles proved to this previously intractable people the error of their former beliefs.

The problem however was particularly acute in the lands of The Steppes, where most of the infidels eked an unsatisfactory existence. However, the local Marshall, Lord Kurbski was a very Christian man. He set about doing all that he could to ensure a steady supply of food. What stocks he had he distributed, saving only some grain for seeding next year’s fields. He also sought food from far away, and through his interventions many lives were saved. When the Tsar heard this he accused the gracious Marshal of treason by misusing state funds. The Marshal, already old, died defending himself from murderers sent from Moskva, but his good deed could not be halted.

Subsidise Food and Release Stocks IN Famine! (-75 Gold Pop in Tenghiz –500)

Perhaps because of all these troubles the colonisation of Siberia continued apace. During this time new vovoedes were made at Kuznetsk and Udinsk, in the provinces of Angara and Buriat. In far Siberia however there were further problems with pirates. It had been discovered that these pirates had a small base somewhat down the coast from our own ports, but no way through the dangerous waters or barren lands was yet discovered. However, a call went out for a new squadron of ships, and the miners at Obdorsk made a small contribution from their gains to pay for this.

Enthusiasm for the Navy (5 warships at Enkan)

This squadron soon proved its worth, linking up with the other ships and putting the decimating the local pirate ships. For out on the frontier, far from the corruption of the Tsar, the Realm was still valiantly defended even by the meanest sort. And so I end this Book.

Director At long, long, long, long last I have managed to revive it.

The reason for the lengthy hiatus (apart from all the other stuff over the summer) was that the computer with the saved game ending up being in a different place to me, and for a long time I had a computer that could not play EU2 very well. So, here we are. I resurrect a version of 1.05, and find what I hope is the same EEP version. In any event it seems to be working, but I am expecting a few CTDs.

Well it is ABOUT time...nice update, and hopefully a sign of more to come!

Just found this one today - and skipped what I should have been doing to spend several hours reading it. It has a real medieval feel to it and the way you tie in the gameplay and events is superb. I can just imagine an old monk (or a succession of them) scratching it out in a forgotten monastery somewhere in the depths of the Russian woods.

Brilliant, brilliant AAR

Amric You are the very sole of patience for having waiting so long ;) Certainly there is more to come!

Judge Cheers :)

merrick I hope that what you were meant to be doing wasn't too important, but I am positively delighted that you find this diverting. I spent several years studying mediaeval chronicles for my degree. I've been told it shows ;)

I am working on the next update as we speak, but I might well not finish it until tomorrow night.

The Thirty-Third Book of the Chronicle of Gregorias

OOC

The Chapter room was cold. It was the sort of cold that grabbed ones shoulders and ran down the spine. Brother Vasili was relieved to note that he was not the only one to be restless, trying to generate a little heat. In moments like this he envied Father Mikhail his ability to bear these burdens without discomfort. And he envied Brother Stepan, though in the Serbian’s case he imagined his harsh upbringing had somewhat to do with his ability to tolerate the weather.

“Brothers,” Father Mikhail spoke, “we are being truly honoured. I have received a missive from His Grace, Bishop Romanov, that he wishes to spend a small amount of time here. We shall make him welcome, and give him all courtesy. Morever, I expect this to be a peaceful House for the Bishop’s visit. Is this understood?”

There was a fair amount of feet shuffling. Vasili nodded his assent, and before long the others were as well. He knew how this would grate on the nerves of some, yet no one wanted to risk earning the House the ire of this important ecclesiastic.

“So Master Chronicler, tell me, why has this House become centred on the Scriptorium?” the Bishop asked pleasantly enough. He was sitting in Brother Vasili’s study, holding a ‘private’ interview. Although the door to the Scriptorium was closed Vasili was willing to wager that eager ears were straining for every word.

“It has not, Your Grace,” Vasili answered, “for the Sanctuary’s place is beyond dispute.”

The Bishop smiled as if he knew better, but seemed willing to let the matter drop. “I hear that one of your predecessors is held in high honour,” he said instead.

“Brother Gregorias,” Vasili answered.

“Some have told me that you spread a heresy here.” For a moment Vasili did not speak. He could not believe, given Father Mikhail’s admonitions, that some had been so open!

“That, your Grace, is truly preposterous. No matter how worthy a man might be, he is nothing without Christ Jesus. I could provide you with a small devotional that Brother Gregorias himself penned where he makes that very same point. I could give you all his writings and you would be unable to find a single word that could be disputed. I am truly wounded that some petty hearts will stop and nothing but to attempt to drag the name and memory of a good and humble man through the mud. A man whose memory means nothing outside of these walls.” The speech was somewhat contrived, his ire at some of the Brothers being well used to provide the core of righteous indignation.

His Grace smiled. “I have no doubt of that Master Chronicler. Indeed, I am most impressed with your work here. The breadth and depth and quality of it. The Church has need of men like you and yours working here. I would offer you a place in my retinue, but I imagine such an offer would be useless.”

“Your Grace knows me too well,” Vasili smiled. The Bishop smiled as well.

From outside came the sounds of the Bishop’s young nephew, tearing about causing a small ruckus.

At that time the King of Poland was called Stefan Bathory. He had married the daughter of Kazimir the Accursed, and was elected by the boyars of the Kingdom after agreeing to hand over many kingly rights. From the moment of his ascension he argued for a repeal of the treaty with the Tsardom, but though he had paid for his throne the boyars for the moment stayed silent, and would not countenance foreign war. Bathory retired to his castle to brood and to plot. This all occurred in the Year of Our Lord 1581.

Meanwhile the Tsardom continued to suffer under the ever-crueller tyranny of Ivan Vasilievich, this most terrible of Tsars. Not only were countless cruelties inflicted upon individuals, the realm itself suffered from a great malaise. In distant parts of the realm there still existed small groups of heathens, who would raid the lands of civilised men. There was a family of boyars called Mansurov, who had lands along the coast of the White Sea, and in Near Siberia. The Mansurovi were hardy folk, well used to the ways of the frozen wild, and honourable. Unlike some their fortunes depended on the well-being of these distant estates. A scion of this family set about doing what he could to preserve the patrimony. He organised each village with a system of watches, which would raise the alarm when raiders were about. A militia would then be raised by a local boyar, and the raiders put to flight. The Tsar was wroth when he heard of these goings on, as he did in time, and ordered this Mansurov scion to be killed.

Establish Cantonments (MP +6 MP in Krasnoyarsk and Archangel +1)

However, even in such dire times the Lord does not abandon his people – for in the following winter, a full month before the Easter Feast – we received most joyous news. The Tsarevitch and had a son. This babe was named Dmitri, and many prayers of thanks were said throughout the Tsardom. The Tsar himself thought that these celebrations were in his honour – he could not comprehend that even the common folk hated him for his tyranny, and that the prayers were said out of a sense of relief that, for all his evil, the Tsar would not bring the Realm to ruin. As a public gesture the Tsar conformed with custom and offered an amnesty to all wrongdoers. Thus was the life of Ivan Mansurov saved from a terrible death. Lord Godunov, Marshal of Siberia, had been unwilling to put this young man to death. Now the Marshal gave him charge of the tolls on the River Ob, a small post, but one where the young man was safe.

Heir to the Throne! (Stability +1)

In the summer the Tsar fell ill for a short season. He was now advancing in years, and becoming increasingly bitter. The one man who seemed to have any control over him was Lord Boris Godunov, and even then it was from a distance. Lord Godunov had retired to his Siberian estates, where he was active in securing the allegiance of the peoples there. He was tireless in established the Church in these lands, and unwavering in his efforts to convert the infidel. He used all the tools at his command, but chief among them was the tool of his own self, for he possessed a keen mind and a clever tongue. He would invite some notable among the infidels, a headman say, or an important merchant. Then he would dispute with them all things religious.

This worthy son of the Church wrote letters to the Tsar, and in the he appealed to all the virtuous qualities of a man and a Tsar. But Lord Godunov was sly. In his letters he constantly emphasises the barrenness of Siberia, of its poverty. Thus the Tsar did not consider him to be a threat. Some of the Tsar’s lackeys did try to banish this illusion from the Tsar’s mind, but the Tsar turned on them and had them humiliated.

In the next winter Stefan Bathory renewed his plotting against the Tsardom. He sent monies into the Realm, to support the infidels who were once more becoming restless after a poor harvest. Once again they had failed to appreciate superior Christian skill, and once again there were paying the price of their folly. But, like all whiners and ingrates they could not accept their own inadequacies. The country around Aralsk rose. Upon hearing this the troublesome Kouban cossacks also revolted. Through the Genoese coast Bathory send money and equipment to these rebels. Nothing came of it however. Lord Godunov settled Aralsk easily enough, for the city and towns feared the rebels and welcomed him. The Koubans took longer to subdue, for they had learned they could not defeat the Tsardom in open confrontation. Thus Lord Ivan Shuiski ordered his army out in the fashion of a fisherman and his net. Wherever the Cossacks struck the rest of the net moved into to trap the wandering bands. The rebellion was settled. From this time Lord Shuiski became known as the Fisher, but the Cossacks called him the Spider.

The failure of these matters had great and wondrous consequences, for in the autumn of that year Lord Godunov received a delegation of notables from the city of Magnitogorsk, the chief place of the vovoedate of Kurgan. Prostrating themselves before him they announced that they had come to a common decision. Together they were prepared to acknowledge the year’s events, and other occasions, as being self evident truth as to the rightness of the Christian belief. They repented their former ways, and begged the mercy of Christ Jesus for their errant ways. Lord Godunov bade them rise, and that evening all were baptised in a stream. Lord Godunov acted as godfather and sponsor for their conversion. He granted them lands and titles, and welcomed them as brothers in Christ.

Conversion of the Heretics! (Kurgan converts to Orthodoxy)

When the Tsar heard of this he was irate, and summoned Godunov to Moskva. However, it was winter and the message reached Lord Godunov late. Meanwhile the Tsar again fell ill. The Tsar had spent the best part of recent years chasing away all men of quality. Now he himself was ill there was no one to control the Court, let alone the Realm. The winter is well remembered for being lawless. Along the Volga local boyars intrigued with Crimean Tartars. There was a dispute over who was the rightful Khan, and thinking the Tsar to be dying and the heir to be an idiot they sought nothing more than their own petty gains. This could not have occurred at a worse time, for only through the Great Rivers were the cities of the Realm fed through winter. Much of that grain came up the Volga, which now become full of squabbling yokels. By good fortune Lord Godunov, struggling to reach Moskva heard of this debacle and turned aside. He restored some order to the riverlands, enough to prevent starvation, though many harships were endured.

Nobles Ally Against Foreign Power (Stability –2 CRI –25 CB v CRI for 24 months)

The boyers were not mistaken in all things, for the Tsar was dying. Lord Godunov arrived in Moskva in time to take a vigil by the deathbed. The Tsar never knew of his presence, for he was in a deep sleep, finally passing away on the 20th Day of March, in the Year of Our Lord 1583. Five days later, on the first day of the New Year his son, Feodor Ivanovich Rurikid, was proclaimed Tsar of All Russia. There were many fervent celebrations throughout the Realm, all giving thanks at the mercy that had wondrously been granted by the Lord. So I end this book.

The Thirty-Fourth Book of the Chronicle of Gregorias

OOC

Brother Vasili hmmmd as he ran through the three Apprentices in his mind again. He had to choose one to become a Chronicler. Who was it to be? Yuri – slow but steady, Markus – quick-witted but not always able to see a matter through, or Dmitri – whose faith was like a rock and informed all that he saw and did.

Enough of this! He had other work to do. The Regent had sent a message to the House, requesting information regarding the history of the relationship between the Russian Church and the Holy City of Constantinople. Vasili and his Scribes were collating a document, and it was a most serious affair. There were rumours that the Church would declare itself independent of the Holy Patriarchate. That would hit the House particular hard if the rumours proved to be true. Many of its traditions being founded by the fusion of Russian and Greek, their loyalties were predictably divided.

The divisions were entirely unsurprising as well. Brother Boris was the latest leader of the conservatives, a somewhat younger man who was absolutely convinced of his own righteousness. He could not even read Greek – he claimed it was impious. Not even his other conservatives would embrace those positions.

Suddenly Vasili shivered, and he saw Brother Dmitri say a quick prayer in his reading. The decision was made – Brother Vasili would tell the Apprentice after the Evening Service, and then inform Father Mikhail for comment. He had no doubt his old friend would agree.

Thinking of Mikhail occasioned a frown. His friend was ageing fast, too fast for comfort.

_________

Tsar Ivan Vasilievich has a true hatred for his people. For, instead of leaving behind an well-educated heir, trained in the arts of war and diplomacy, he bequeathed the Tsardom a son whom he had terrorised to the point of insensibility. Tsar Feodor Ivanovich was incapable making even the simplest decisions, and the Tsardom was in gravest danger. The Lord however does provide, and in this moment of our need worthy men stood forward to stand in the breach.

Lord Boris Godunov had arrived in Moskva just before the former Tsar passed away – Tsar Ivan Vasilievich was on his deathbed, and never woke to greet the Marshall. This was fortuitous, for in the late Tsar’s papers were found orders that the Marshal was to be ignominiously killed. The other Marshals of the realm were then also in Moskva. These were Lord Mikhail Golovkin, the Marshal of New Russia; Lord Ivan Shuiski, Marshal of the Steppes and Caucasus; and Lord Dmitri Baratynksi, Marshal of Old Russia. In their various ways each had successfully avoided death or demotion at the hands of the Tsar, and together they formed a Cabinet that would rule in Tsar Feodor’s name. Their first task to acknowledge one of their number as Regent – until the Tsarevich Dmitri came of age. The first choice was Lord Ivan, but he declined. Instead Lord Boris Godunov was proclaimed as Regent.

Between them these four men had a significant number of soldiers, and now they went through the night to the homes of the those who had profited from the Terror of Ivan – those who had whispered false things into the Tsar’s ear and so increased his paranoia; those who had flattered him and encouraged him in new tyrannies; all those that had persecuted the righteous so. Some were killed, the most dangerous and the most powerful. The rest were forced to hand over their ill-gotten gains, and forfeited goods and lands. The general opinion however was that they had been treated mercifully. The confiscations provided as welcome boost to the Treasury which had been stripped bare by Tsar Ivan’s profligacy. Some though escaped and fled to Poland.

Gift to the State (Gold +200)

Lord Godunov then summoned to him the boyar scion Ivan Mansurov, whose life he had saved. He commissioned him to explore further areas of Siberia and open them up for settlement. Lord Mansurov, who had made several trips along the River Ural, concentrated his first efforts there. Through his skill and dedication he founded the towns of Tatarsk and Urengoi, which were soon flourishing with trade from the rude natives thereabouts, and through them the knowledge of the Lord was graciously spread. Lord Mansurov considered further colonisation along the river Ural, but, when he heard news of continuing piratical attacks on the coast of Far Siberia he considered it wise to secure the Siberian Corridor, as it is now called (that line of roots that track through the frozen wastes). To this end he founded the town of Kolpasevo on the River Ob, and in Far Siberia ordered that the colony at Obdorsk be properly organised as a vovoedate. All these things took several years to the present time.

Meanwhile, the infamous King of Poland, Stefan Bathory, sent a missive to the Cabinet. In it he charged that the Cabinet were usurping the rights of the Tsar, that they were but a step away from deposition and setting themselves up as the new rulers of the Tsardom. He ordered that they desist, that they disperse and disband the Cabinet, and that a new Council be formed of all those former lackeys of Tsar Ivan.

The Cabinet was highly concerned about this document, so they expanded their number to include the Archbishop of Moskva. He counselled them that to bow to the demands of a Catholic King would be impious and would mean ruin for the Tsardom. Thus invigorated, they prepared their answer to the Polish King. Meanwhile, the selfsame king was not idle. He had persuaded the Seym that the Cabinet was full of men whose only lust was for power, men who wanted nothing so much as the dismemberment of the Polish State. The Lithuanians among the Seym were convinced for this, for they knew how their ancestors had ill-treated their Russian subjects, and how they did the same in the current age. Calling in their alliances the Lithuanians were able to convince enough of their Polish colleagues of the warlike intentions of the Cabinet that the Seym voted Bathory unheard of power and men and monies.

The Cabinet meanwhile was plotting the best way to secure peace. There were suggestions that the army stationed against the Ottomans in Georgia should be moved up to the Dniepr. Lord Shuiski argued against this, but satisfied his colleagues that the army could move at speed when it was needed. Other preparations were carried out, such as the raising of more forces in Moskva itself, and a strengthening of the fortresses of Polotsk and Belgorod. The Archbishop occupied himself with providing a rebuttal of the various claims and articles in the Polish Letter. One the Feast of Epiphany Lord Godunov was acclaimed and confirmed as Regent of the Tsardom, and the rebuttal was published. Messengers were sent with it to all the nations. Lord Mansurov was created Marshal of Siberia in absentia. After the celebrations Lord Golovkin and Lord Shuiski retired to their commands at Polotsk and Georgia respectively. The realm waited.

Boris Godunov’s Advisory (ADM +6 DIP +3 MIL +3 all for 156 months Stability +1 Fort in Moskva +1 Population in Enkan +250 Conquistador in Enkan)

The Cabinet purposely did not send a response directly to the King of Poland, rather they sent a response to the Duke of Prussia, who was now called the Hohenzollern. The Hohenzollern had been steadfast allies of the Poles, and in this case was no exception. A messenger was immediately sent to Poland, and all Russians were expelled from the great port of Danzig. When he heard of this Lord Golovkin sent a message to Lord Shuiski. When he received it Lord Shuiski began to move his army from its camp near Tblisi to a port on the Volga. It was then shipped to Tsaritsyn, and they began to march to the Donets. Two days after Lord Shuiski received this warning the King of Poland, after hastily assembling a small council, declared war against the Tsardom. He himself immediately sped to the main Polish army that was then sheltering to the southeast of Kharkov. Meanwhile his pre-eminent general, Jan Zamojski, was mustering troops at Kiev.

On the first day of the New Year Lord Golovkin ordered his troops across the border, into the lands of Byelorussia. A force of Lithuanians were stationed there. The two forces met near the town of Borisov on the Berezina. The Lithuanians were poorly led and ill-trained, and Lord Golovkin easily put them to flight. Soon afterward his scouts discovered an artillery train that was attempting to reach Belgorod, having set out from Vilnius. These Lord Golovkin destroyed, for they would have slowed him precisely when he needed speed. He turned his army into the Mozyr.

Meanwhile the Poles had not been idle. Bathory crossed the Donets and Zamojski marched across the Ukraine. Thus they encircled Belgorod from both sides. They constructed bridges, and thereby prevented supplies from being floated down the river. The Vovoede of Belgorod was one Vladimir Serebrianny. He had spent the last year making wise use of the monies the Cabinet had sent him, and as a result the Fortress was in paramount condition. Indeed, Lord Serebrianny had been able to improve the fortress in several important respects, and had made plentiful stocks of food. With enough men and material to stand a long siege he now waited for deliverance.

Lord Shuiski was as good as his word. He knew his army. They made the journey swiftly. Immediately his scouts informed him of the dispositions of the Poles he ordered an attack. For the Poles kept their armies one on each side of the river. This meant they were effectively divided, and although together they outnumbered him, individually they were weaker. The battle was glorious. Jan Zamojski, seeing the danger that Bathory was in tried to get his troops across the river. Lord Serebrianny though ordered several river boats be floated down the river, each laden with powder. Thus the southern bridges were destroyed. Shelling from the fort made the northern bridges perilous. Bathory fought hard, but at the end of the night was forced to retire with the survivors of his army northward along the riverbank. They travelled all night, and by morning we had lost trace of them. Lord Shuiski though was convinced that Bathory was now not a problem – the army under Zamojski was still considerable. For two weeks the forces watched each other, while Lord Shuiski had his men build many rafts. Some of his forces he ferried into the fort, but then on the appointed day, under cover of a heavenly mist, his army crossed the river on those rafts. For three days battle raged under the walls of Belgorod. On the third day Zamojski saw that the Russians were receiving reinforcements, while he was running out of all the things his men needed to fight. His army slipped away under cover of night, making for Moghilev.

Bathory fled northward, and finally crossed the river at a secret place. He then sped westward, for he believed that Zamojski was lost. In this he committed his greatest mistake, for had he turned south again and linked up with his general’s army it is unlikely that the battle of Belgorod could have been brought to its successful conclusion. As it was his small force was seen by scouts from Lord Golovkin’s advancing columns. There was a small, sharp engagement. Bathory escaped with his life, but little more. He fled to Warsaw, and left the conduct of the war to others. Lord Zamojksi, hearing of his king’s flight tried to find and follow him. Instead they came across Lord Golovkin, who trapped the Poles up against some marshes. Lord Zamojski died then from wounds and exhaustion. Thus passed away the best hope of the Polish nation, betrayed by his own king.

Lord Golovkin, after seeing that Lord Zamojski’s body was buried according to honour and custom, hurried further south. He had heard of a very large Polish army that had been raised from the rich lands along the Vistula, that he knew he was incapable of meeting. He passed through the lands about Chenigov. He then crossed the Dniepr north of Kiev, and descended through Podolia to the port of Ochakov on the Euxine Sea. There he dispersed the Jedisan Cossacks and invested the port.

From Moskva Lord Baratynksi moved his army to guard the approaches to Polotsk. A small Polish army, led by a Lithuanian magnate, thought to try to take advantage, but were safely repulsed. Meanwhile one Stanislas Lisowski, a great Lithuanian magnate, had command of the large army from the Vistula that mustered in the Mozyr. He then advanced to Kursk, to make a claim to so-called Polish Russia. However, upon hearing that Lord Shuiski had left Belgorod he turned southward thinking to seize that might fort. Lord Shuiski had turned into the Ukraine, hunting an army of Cossacks that the Poles were raising. He found and defeated it, before returning to Belgorod. He was on his way when news reached him Lisowski’s army.

So was fought the Second battle of Belgorod. It was a truly bloody affair. Lisowski’s force was already suffering from a lack of food, but they still numbered over twenty thousand and fought fiercely. Lord Shuiski had a little over thirty thousand, but by the time the battle was over only twelve thousand were found to be capable of fighting. Lisowski was killed when his horse was blown apart by a cannonball. The remnants of the army retired northward to Kursk. Lord Shuiski did not follow, but turned his sights southward. South was the Polish fortress of Poltava, which he now besieged.
Lord Baratynksi was heading towards Belgorod, after hearing news of the army of Lisowski. He finished off the survivors. It is rumoured that not one Pole escaped freely.

It was at this time that the Hohenzollern officially joined the war on the part of the Poles. He led his superb army to invest Polotsk. Meanwhile Lord Godunov had been able to equip a new force, the command of which he gave to Lord Moskvin. Lord Moskvin in his youth had taken part in the Ottoman raids, and now he led one of his own. He followed the route of Lord Golovkin to Podolia, but whereas Lord Golovkin was travelling in haste Lord Moskvin took time to lay waste to the countryside. From Podolia he retired through the lands about Kiev and Krementjug before wintering on the banks of the Donets in the Tsardom.

Because of the war Lord Godunov was able to get the Council to pass a series of laws that allowed him to appoint whomever he wished to command various armies, subject to the approval of the Cabinet. Thus was Lord Moskvin appointed, for Lord Moskvin although capable came from a lowly family of boyars. Lord Godunov also persuaded the Council to grant him wide ranging powers to secure the proper material needed for the war. By such measures was Lord Moskvin’s force, and later forces, equipped: by turning all the resources of the realm to the waging of war.

Aristocracy –1 Treasury slider to 100%

Lord Moskvin’s force was in winter camps when he heard about a mustering of Polish troops near Kiev. Lord Shuiski was committed to the siege of Poltava – a harsh commitment for the winter cold took its toll. So Lord Moskvin readied his troops and left their safe quarters to brave the blizzards. Showing true Russian spirit they erupted onto the Ukranian plans in February, completely surprising the Poles who were only half-prepared. There was not one single battle, more several dozen skirmishes and engagements in the snow. During the course of this winter campaign it became known that the Poles had been preparing to launch an assault on the army of Lord Golovkin. Instead of retiring back to the Tsardom Lord Moskvin opted instead to throw a cordon about the fortress of Krementjug. Thus he could guard Lord Golovkin’s flank and denied the Poles the only crossing point in that part of the Dniepr really sufficient for a sizeable army.

At about that time a small fleet of Polish galleys ventured into the Gulf of Finland, hoping to raid the Ingermanland coast. However the Tsardom was prepared. For some time a squadron of galleys had been maintained in Narva. These now ventured out, where they hunted the Polish ships, forcing them to retire for want of provisions. However, despite this and other successors some saw the opportunity to profit from the Tsardom’s engagements. In particular the Khan of the Turks of the White Sheep pressed his claim to two mountain valleys that the Tsardom had occupied when they claimed Armenia from the Ottoman. However, wishing a steady frontier, and not wishing to divert resources Lord Godunov gave the local vovoede permission to negotiate a binding treaty. Thus a conference was held, and along with the two valleys places where customs were to be levied were agreed, and a number of other disputes.

Settle Issue IN Boundary Dispute (Stability +1 Gold –20 QKK +20)

In April of the Year of Our Lord 1586 the fortress of Poltava fell to Lord Shuiski. His forces had been reduced by the winter, but now were burgeoned by new recruits. The Lithuanians had scraped together a somewhat sizeable army from the lands of Byelorussia, and gathered them at Kiev. It was plain that Kiev was the key to the whole of the Ukraine region, so Lord Shuiski had no hesitation about advancing to the Dniepr. Outside of Kiev he met the Lithuanians, strengthened by a few Poles, and after two pitched battles routed them. Kiev itself was well fortified, so, now aided by a proper siege train commanded by Lord Serebrianny, who had been entrusted with their command due to his knowledge of fortifications.

At about this time Lord Baratynksi, having wintered at Welikia, launched an attack on the Hohenzollern and his Prussian forces that were slowly reducing the fortress of Polotsk. Alas, the Prussians threw our brave soldiers back. The Hohenzollern spared no expense in the equipping and training of his troops, and his own skill on the battlefield was superior. He had been expecting such an attack, and had suitably prepared the ground. Lord Baratynksi had not choice but to retire. Nonetheless, this withdrawal had some skill to it and the greater part of the army was saved. Lord Godunov made sure that new recruits from Old Russia were sent to bolster his strength.

Towards the end of June the port of Ochakov, for some time supplied by sea by the Genoans, finally capitulated to Lord Golovkin. The final reason was when a relieving force from Podolia was beaten back. Lord Golovkin had not been idle during the siege however, and had trained his force to perfection. Having secured the port with a garrison he now put all of his skill and experience in an expedition that was God-touched and will surely be long remembered.

His army set off into Podolia, burning fields and wrecking buildings, but then continued on into Inner Poland. He passed through the lands of Galizien, and the people there had much to rue his passing. He then appeared outside the gates of Krakow, before continuing onward into the rich lands of Moravia and Silesia. Rumours spread before him, and a great flight of people attempted to run away. The fear he inspired disrupted all attempts by the Poles to mount a proper defence. He then moved through the rich plains of Wielkopolska before committing a final indignity on the Poles. For Christmas and the Feast of the Epiphany he invested the city of Warsaw, creating nearly unknown hardship for the people there and destroying the final shreds of credibility that Bathory had somehow retained.

Just after this Great Raid had begun Krementjug fell to the persistent efforts of Lord Moskvin. Alas however, this star now fell to earth, for Lord Moskvin slipped from his horse and broke his neck. His army went to join that of Lord Shuiski outside Kiev. In the north Polotsk finally was forced to open its gates to the Hohenzollern. But before the Prussians could decide where next to strike Lord Baratynksi offered battle with his reinforced and reinvigorated army. The following struggle was hardly elegant, for we had no ability to match the tactics or weaponry of the Prussians. Instead we put our faith in God and the trusty hearts of the Russian soldier. Lord Baratynksi had mustered over fifty thousand such brave hearts, and they were to prevail. There was no dramatic defeat however, the Hohenzollern retired after making sure Polotsk was properly garrisoned to the city of Minsk.

The Lithuanians from Byelorussia made several attempts to raise the siege of Kiev. While the Poles quaked in fear of Lord Golovkin and the Hohenzollern was forced back by Lord Baratynksi these poor demented fools through their lives away against Lord Shuiski and his men. Three separate attempts were made, but there was no organisation, each magnate leading his own doomed force. All perished, and for nought because Kiev was taken towards the end of December.

During the winter the Cabinet met in Smolensk, and planned the next season’s campaign, and also to make the decisions that were needed to be made by them all present. New forces were recruited and commanders were appointed. From Pskov and Novgorod a force was mustered and commanded by Lord Villatski. From Smolensk itself, and from Tula, and given charge of protecting the conference Lord Dulov was selected. From the city of Moskva and the rest of Old Russia a force was being formed under Lord Volyniski.

Lord Godunov reported that some of the laws of the Tsardom were allowed to go lax while all concentrated on fighting the Poles. The Boyars for the most part were making small gains. It was decided that provided these abuses did not become too serious the war would take precedence. Throughout the realm there was some relief at this decision. Amongst those of virtue the relief was because no Tsar or regent can fight both foreign enemies and the boyars at the same time. Amongst those who profited from such corruption the relief was more personal.

Ignore it IN Non-enforcement of the Ordinances (Stability +1 Centralisation –1)

Immediately following the Feast of the Epiphany Bathory emerged from Warsaw with the what men he could find in the gutters. He put up a fierce fight with Lord Golovkin, but eventually his army broke and his mind finally went. However, he did inflict enough casualties on Lord Golovkin that the brave general was forced to withdraw. However, Lord Golovkin did not retreat. Rather he embarked on another raid. First he returned to the fields of Wielkopolska, and he was going to terrorise the lands of Polish Pommerania when he received a deputation from local notables. They begged him to spare their lands, and told him a story of such cruel repression by the Poles that he was moved to sympathy. Instead he turned into the lands of the Hohenzollern, which he laid to waste.

He was unable however to prevent the Hohenzollern from being reinforced. The Prussians then launched another attack on Lord Baratynksi who was now besieging our own fortress of Polotsk that was being skilfully defended by its Prussian garrison. Lord Baratynksi had grown wiser however and was able to turn the Prussian blow aside. The Hohenzollern now attempted to commit his own Great Raid, but instead ran straight into the army of Lord Volyniski.

As this took place Lord Godunov released the new armies. Until now, apart from the fighting around Polotsk and the Great Raid the war had been concentrated in the lands of the Ukraine. Now that region was secured the forces of the Tsardom moved to take all of Byelorussia and also to command the Dniepr river. Lord Villatski invested the grand city of Minsk. Lord Dulov tackled the tricky lands of the Mozyr. To the south the army at Kiev was divided into two. Lord Shuiski took the larger part into Podolia while Lord Serebrianny was given his own command and moved to besiege Chernigov.

Poland, for a moment free of Lord Golovkin, mounted a hasty assembly to select a new King. Their choice fell upon Zygmunt Augustus III. He began to muster a new force to Warsaw. Meanwhile a force of Lithuanians from Vilnius attempted to break the siege of Minsk. Once again they were turned back. Zygmunt Augustus used this to argue that only he should have military control for the rest of the war. Likewise he was empowered to seek peace. Through the offices of the Swedes he sent envoys to Lord Godunov.

Just after the turn of midsummer Lord Serebrianny stormed the walls the Chenigov. However, the Jedisan Cossacks chose this moment to revolt. Lord Serebrianny, having secured the fortress, moved swiftly to put out this fire before it could spread. News then reached him that Lord Shuiski, old as he was, had passed away. He moved to Podolia and took command of the forces there.

At that time Lord Godunov received another embassy, from the Patriarch of Constantinople. The Patriarch himself took part, and conferred much honour on Lord Godunov. There were some in the Church that argued Lord Godunov ought to force the Patriarch to free the Russian people finally from the Greek Church. However, the Blessed Patriarch told Lord Godunov the tale of the travails of the Greeks under the infidel. He appealed to Lord Godunov’s sense of faith, and Lord Godunov was swayed. That winter the Cabinet met again in Smolenks. In the closing months Podolia, the Mozyr, and Minsk had all been secured, and Polotsk had been recaptured. There was no immediate replacement for Lord Shuiski. Lord Baratynksi argued against this proposal most vociferously, but was unable to convince. Lord Mansurov supported Lord Godunov. Lord Golovkin for the most part kept quiet, and it was his silence that enabled Lord Godunov to make the Great Epiphany Pronoucement.

He declared the Church was indivisible, and proclaimed that Tsargrad was the Tsardom’s by right of inheritance. The Patriarch invested the Tsar with the Imperial title, declaring him the Heir of Caesar, Augustus, and Constantine. He brought many Greeks into employment, and offered succour to the refugees of the Ottoman. This angered many boyars, including Lord Baratynksi. However, he also received support, especially from those boyars of the Steppes, Caucuses, and Siberia. Thus his position was for the moment secure, especially since he seemed to have the support of Lord Golovkin. Perhaps in acknowledgement Lord Golovkin was given power to negotiate a peace with the Poles to the advantage of the Tsardom.

No, we need Constantinople to lead the True Faith IN The Russian Orthodox Church declared independent of Constantinople (Stability –3 Centralisation –2 Innovativeness –1 DIP –3 ADM –2 (until 1820) Gain Greek culture Get CB shields on Dobrudja Rumelia Bulgaria Thrace Macedonia Hellas Morea)

As the season of the Year of Our Lord 1588 opened out troops moved across the Dniepr. Lord Serebrianny moved northward into Galizien, Lord Dulov crossed into Volynia, while Lord Villatski advanced into Lithuania and besieged Vilnius. However, almost immediately some Lithuania nobles rose the countryside around Minsk against the Russians. To their folly they had ignored Lord Baratynksi, but whatever the Marshal’s disputes with the Regent Lord Baratynksi was not about to risk the success of the war.

Lord Golovkin made another attempt on Warsaw, but King Zygmunt III had now organised his subjects and Lord Golovkin was forced to withdraw. King Zygmunt then threatened the position of Lord Dulov in Volynia, forcing him to withdraw across the Dniepr. He then followed on the heels of Lord Golovkin, who was once more in Wielkopolska. He retired to Krakow, and it was there that Zygmunt III and Lord Golvkin agreed to meet.

The Peace of Krakow was signed on the first day of November in the Year of Our Lord 1588. Zygmunt had persuaded his nobles that peace must be bought at any price, but he wrung as good a bargain as he could manage. Zygmunt was resigned to the loss of the Byelorussian lands and of the Ukraine, but was adamant that he would not give up Podolia. Golovkin allowed this on condition that independence be granted to Polish Pommerania. This was a bitter pill, but Zygmunt swallowed it. Thus was the Peace proclaimed, and thus I end this Book.

Truly outstanding. I hope you push this forward to a conclusion, as it is worthy of an OscAAR.

I've never played Russia, so I am not informed on the events. With the dreadful loss of monarch abilities, why did you take that choice ("No, we need Constantinople to lead the True Faith"). Are the other choices worse?

You have to love that Boris Godunov! What a guy, what a hero! Somebody should write a book about him... better yet, an opera! :D

The manuscripts of the Chronicles of Gregorias are filled with painted illustrations. In the earliest works these seem to be mostly decorative, though there are in some cases images that call up a certain atmosphere. However, during the stewardship of Brother Ivan during the reign of Ivan III these illustrations starting to be representations of the events described. Coronations, funerals, battles, treaties, plagues, all these and more are depicted in the margins and, on rare occasions, they dominate a page.

The chronicle of Brother Vasili saw a new development - the inclusion of maps. Unlike some other holders of his office he did not include any information relating to the Monastery of Ss Stephanos and Ignatios, so it is only from
The Deeds of the Abbots of the House of Ss Stephanos and Iganatios that we learn that two brothers of the House travelled with the Russian Armies in what is now called the Great East War. One accompanied the army of Lord Golovkin, the other the army of Lord Shuiski, later Lord Serebrianny. It is no doubt from these two brothers that Brother Vasili received much of his information regarding the fighting. However, in both cases these educated men were used by the generals in the recording of the lands they passed through. Once they returned this information was distilled into a series of maps, which I have collated at the end of this book. However, I insert several here with comments that I hope readers will find useful and instructive.

ScreenSave3e.JPG

Most of the early part of the war was conducted in the southern theatre - particularly around the Russian fortress of Belgorod. It was a war of furious manoevre that only started to settle down with the onset of the second winter. It was also these battles that effectively destroyed the Polish army.

ScreenSave3g.JPG

The Great Raid has entered the Russian imagine. Some of the earliest proper Russian literature was composed to commemorate it. Indeed, it has been so obsessed about that some compare it of comparable importance to the Mycenaean-led attack on Troy immortalised by Homer in The Illiad.

ScreenSave3l.JPG

When this map was made the namess creator made a rather important mistake. Brother Vasili's response is unrecorded, but I am content to imagine. The Peace of Krakow determined Russian dominance of Eastern Europe. Until that time Poland-Lithuania was comparable in the size of its population and industry. Now, having lost most of the Lithuanian realm it was greatly reduced. Also, it was through this war that Russia started to exercise its the imagine of western europeans in general, and it from these times that the first mentions of Russia in popular literature occur.

Well, my first screenies. I decided to bring back the commentary as being the easiest way to include them. I hope it does not jar too much.

All thanks go to Kurek who has provided the hosting and some quite useful advice in the process.

Incidentally these are the screenies that I myself made to keep track of the war from my notes. Perhaps they provide an insight as to how my mind works (or not as the case may be)

Director I am currently trying to convince myself that, once I have played the game to 1820 (no mean feat!), that converting it to Vicky would be a bad idea!

As to your question - the other option is Innovation +2 Centralisation +1 Stability +1 and a bunch of +150 relations with other Orthodox nations. It is also the historical choice, and this is my first really major conscious historical departure (through luck I avoided the Terror of the Oprichnina event). The reason I chose it were the cores and culture that I gain. The monarch ability price is steep, very steep, but I am prepared to pay it. However, because the price is so steep I do not consider the option 'broken'. Indeed, if this were the latest beta I probably would not choose it because of the greater impairment the DIP penalty would cause re: relations and BB.

The Thirty-Fifth Book of the Chronicles of Gregorias

OOC

“I do not see why we have to go through all this rigmarole,” Brother Boris complained the Father Mikhail as they waited at the door to the Church. They were waiting for three brothers from Mt Athos to make their slow progress from the gates of the monastery to the church door. The reason for their slowness was that they were moving on their knees, with much praying.

“Come now Brother, this House owes a great deal to our Greek brethren, and it can only be a good thing that we provide a place for these, our brothers.”

“But do they speak Russian?” Brother Boris asked.

“Do you speak Greek?” Brother Vasili noted acerbically from the side. Together they stood, the three of them each to ceremoniously welcome one of the Greek brethren.

“Peace,” Father Mikhail said, in a tired voice. He was so tired. Trying to keep peace in the House was becoming more and more difficult. His old friend was becoming less patient and more intolerant, not unlike Brother Boris. It would have amused Mikhail, if he had not felt constantly under threat for most of the last year.

Just then he suffered a wracking cough. Both Boris and Vasili expressed immediate concern, but he waved them off. He could only hope that the presence of the Greeks would help moderate things.

The Peace of Krakow was almost immediately disturbed. Angry at their demobilisation a group of Russian soldiers turned bandit as they were being marched across Poltava to go back from whence they came. The officer in charge they hung from a tree. They then took to looting and burning. The captain of Poltava was forced to shelter many behind the walls of the fortress, hastily repaired from the damage sustained in the siege. Lord Golovkin when he heard of these troubles made all speed to quell the troubles. His army, forged by the war acted out its part to perfection. The rebels were crushed a week before Christmas. However, as he rode back to Moskva Lord Golovkin took ill. He arrived in time for Christmas, but was in a fearful state. The whole Court was suspended with prayers for his safety said at all hours of night and day. The Regent spent no less than two vigils. Three days before Epiphany Lord Golovkin rallied, and though he returned to health he has not yet fully recovered, and has not yet taken command of another army in the field.

That Epiphany Feast was a joyous occasion indeed. Everyone who was of noble lineage was there. Even Lord Mansurov has made the difficult journey from Siberia. Three new Marshals were created. Lord Serebrianny was created Marshal of The Ukraine, a wholly new position now made necessary due to the Great Victory. Lord Zasetov, who had settled the dispute with the White Turks so ably, was made Marshall of the Steppes and the Caucauses to replace the late Lord Shuiski. Finally, Lord Patrikeev, Lord Golovkin’s deputy, was created Marshal of New Russia and given command of the same army that his former master had led. Lord Golovkin himself was elevated to the rank of Sebastocrater, a title of ancient Rome which was created by Alexius the Great.

These celebrations however were so much of a show. Lord Baratynksi and others were most upset at the Proclamation by which the Tsardom adopted the title to Rome of old. Likewise they were upset at the way the Regent lauded and honoured various Greeks that were now invited to Court. For the moment though they held their peace. The Regent was fair in his tributes, and none wished to called to account for having disrupted such an important occasion. Indeed, all could, whatever their persuasion, take pride in the Great Victory. There was no surer sign needed of the Lord’s favour on the Tsardom.

The Kievans are a wily people, though are somewhat lacking in pride. This can be the only reasonable conclusion when considering the question of why an otherwise worthy people allowed themselves to be subjected to the Poles. Kiev was once the Queen of the Rus, and Lo she has fallen far. Her people were content to have weak masters, so they would not be troubled in their petty affairs. They did this instead of having their eyes on the Lord and fulfilling the Great Destiny that the Lord had laid out for His People. It was for this reason that the Lord sent the Tartar Scourge. Revelation of this is attested by the prophets of that time. So, now that they were being forced to face their Destiny it is not surprising that many found the very idea repugnant.

These malcontents found a leader in Mazerov, a fair appearing man who had a honeyed tongue and without a whit of Grace. He first appeared in the lands to the east of Kiev, travelling between the small towns and various Cossack bands. He spoke to all those that were aggrieved, and worked upon their minds. He was as poison, and by the turn of summer the whole countryside was aflame with passion and anger. It took but a spark to ignite the people into revolt, and as ever it was the Cossacks that were to the fore in the trouble-making. Lord Serebrianny, who at that time was inspecting the fortifications at Ochakov, quickly and successfully quelled the rebellion, for the Cossacks were unorganised and, when the rebels were tallied, who far less numerous than had been believed. However, when he realised his plans were about to go awry this Mazerov fled, no doubt being sheltered by sympathisers who had more sense than to risk open war against the Tsardom.

During that same year the Church once again assumed its rightful place as leader of the faithful. The Archbishop of Kiev was elevated so that only the Archbishop of Moskva and Patriarch of Constantinople were more prominent. However, disturbing reports soon came back of revolting popish practises that had corrupted the faith in these lands. When he of this the Regent was even more determined to free the faithful from heathen and infidel yokes, so that they would not be led astray. Immediately he organised a programme preaching and disputing so as to correct and restore the True Faith, and to those places which now bowed to Rome he sent missionaries to led the people back to the path of the Lord.

Fund Suppression Effort IN Regional Heresy (Gold –50)

As part of these efforts the Regent decreed that those that cleaved to Rome could hold no public office, and would be disbarred from inheritance. When these measures were proclaimed in the Ukraine and Byelorussia they caused great disturbances. At this time the infamous Mazerov once more rose to prominence. First he made his move in the north, where he roused the countryside around Minsk. However, with the wrath of Lord Patrikeev approaching he departed to raise forces from the Ukraine to bolster the rebels. However, by then news had spread that the Ottoman Sultan, hearing that the Tsardom was in difficulty and seeing a possibility for gain, had declared war. The Cossacks, though they bore no love for the Tsar, had even less for the Sultan. Many opponents of the Tsardom now rallied together against the infidel, while others thought it politic to hold back and wait,

Lord Patrikeev marched quickly down from the north and crossed the Danube. He had learnt from his mentor well. He dispersed the few Ottomans on the far bank, allowing Lord Serebrianny to make a safe crossing, and then immediately launched his force across the lands of the Turk causing chaos wherever he went. First he turned westward, through Moldavia and up into the Carpathian mountains. He then descended into the Magyar plain, passing by Pressburg before turning south to the great city of Budapest, the walls of which he reached during the month of July. Wherever he went Lord Patrikeev struck at all the signs of infidel authority, but left Christian land and property as untouched as he could. Thus the European half of the Sultanate descended into chaos.

Whilst this went on in their rear the Ottomans now made a determined attack against Lord Serebrianny, who was now fortifying the Ottoman side of the Danube. At that place the Danube devolves from a single might river into several channels, and they are many swamps. Lord Serebrianny hired local guides and with a fine eye for the terrain trapped the Ottomans in a bog. However, another force was mustering at Moldovia, and a force sent by Lord Serebrianny to discomfort them returned defeated.
It was at this time that Mazerov finally persuaded a portion of the Cossacks to revolt. However, they were being closely watched, and the moment there was news of open rebellion Lord Baratynksi fell upon them and scattered them.

In the East Lord Zasetov had not been idle. Nearly at once he had attempt to cross to Trebizond, but had been thwarted by a small force guarding the pass. Now, in great force he battered his way into Pontine lands and then, wasting no time, threw his army against the city of Trebizond. The Ottomans inside were in a state of disarray, and aided by locals Lord Zasetov won the city within a day. He then began the process of re-fortifying the ancient passes into the Pontine province, and sent small bands of raiders across Asia Minor to trouble Ottoman attempts to dislodge him.

This took place in the first week of August. By then Lord Patrikeev had descended through Serbia and Kosovo to the Macedonian plain. There he came to Mt Athos, and from that wondrous place had many monks escorted to the safety of the Tsardom. He then turned south and into Greece.

The Cossacks in this year proved more stubborn, in that after Lord Baratynksi had dispersed the first major group some fled to lands eastward, where they rallied support and, thus infused, settled themselves about the fortress of Krementjug. Lord Baratynksi though caught them there against the river, and the revolt ended. Mazerov again though had made his escape, some thought to Poland and others to the Crimea.

In that winter the Tsarevich fell ill, but he did not recover with the turning of the seasons. Prayers were ordained to be said for him across the realm, and yet he passed away on the tenth day of April in the Year of Our Lord 1591. The Regent and Cabinet immediately called a Grand Council of the Realm to discuss this state of affairs, for it was held to be unlikely that the Tsar would be able to produce another child, and, the Tyrant having killed all his other relatives, this meant that the Realm would soon be bereft. Rumours started that the Regent had in fact had the Tsarevich poisoned. An enquiry into the causes of his death were established. There were many rumours that the Regent has poisoned the Tsarevich, but the commission absolved the Regent of any blame. It found that the Tsarevich was a sickly child, and alas had his life cut short. The Archbishop of Moskva declared that the death of the Tsarevich, and the thus the passing of the Rurikid dynasty, was divine judgement on the actions of Tsar Ivan Vasilievich.

Meanwhile the war against the Ottoman continued. In the depths of winter Lord Serebrianny completing the fortifications necessary to secure the river crossing, and rooting out the small Ottoman garrisons. From there he headed into Moldavia, where he defeated an Ottoman army. To the south Lord Patrikeev had struck fear into the Ottomans in Greece. His forces spread throughout the country before moving northward. He defeated a small force of Ottoman cavalry near Mt Olympus, and then moved into Thrace, past Adrianopolis and made a demonstration outside the walls of Tsargrad.

The Cabinet desired a quick end to the war to be able to deal with the crisis of succession. Lord Patrikeev offered to hold negotiations with the Vizier to the Sultan, who accepted. This Vizier had not yet heard news of the death of the Tsarevich, and more importantly believed the army of Lord Patrikeev to be much larger. Most importantly he was concerned that if the Russians remained much longer within the Sultanate their captive peoples might revolt. Thus he offered the Russians the town of Trebizond and its environs to secure peace, an offer Lord Patrikeev was only too glad to accept. Some months later, when it became clear what the Russian situation was, the Vizier was to lose his life for his incompetence.

One month later the Grand Council of the Realm – the Council of the Land – met in Moskva. All the most notable men of the realm were present, and many less notable Lords in addition. They came to discuss the matter of the Succession. The report of the inquiry into the death of the Tsarevich was presented, but many still muttered against the Regent. Some argued that even the suspicion was enough to prove him unworthy for the important position that he held. Moreover, many of the lesser Lords were unhappy at various measures that had prevented their natural inclinations towards anarchy. Also they were angry at the influx now of Greeks that were fleeing the Sultan.

Thus there was much argument against the sensible conclusion, that the Regent, proved worthy in peace and war, pious and without a blemish to his name, was the natural successor to the Tsar. There was one other prime candidate – Lord Feodor Romanov, who is the brother of the wife of the former Tsar. However, he never put himself forward, others did this for him. There were other more minor candidacies, but these paled next to these two.

It soon became clear that the Regent did not have enough support. The actions of the boyars were simply mercenary. Bribe us, they told the Regent, we are willing to be bought. Seeing no other way to break the deadlock the Regent had no choice but the make some concessions to these small-minded men. Also he appealed to the Church to back his claim, and this the Church willingly did, for he was such a pious man, and he was willing to restore to the Church certain privileges lost to the former Tsar.

Finally the Regent was able to break the opposition by securing the support of Feodor Romanov. Lord Romanov saw that he was unable to win the support of the Council, and offered his support to Lord Godunov in return for certain concessions and provinces. Thus Lord Romanov became a true magnate in terms of land and wealth, whereas he had previous only been somewhat notable. The entire Council backed a proclamation by which Lord Godunov became the adopted son of the Tsar. So I end this book.

Let’s appease the boyars IN Death of Tsarevich Dmitri (Gold –100 Centralisation –1 Aristocracy +1 RR +3 for 12 months

The Thirty-Sixth Book of the Chronicles of Gregorias

OOC

Brother Dmitri watched the Brothers slowly bear the coffin containing the remains of Brother Vasili out of the church and down to the graveyard. As it reached a certain point in the nave he and the other Brothers slowly filed out behind it, chanting prayers. First behind the coffin was Father Mikhail, who had seemed particularly hard hit at the unexpected death of his friend.

There was still no satisfactory explanation of the accident. As he often did Brother Vasili had been inspecting some repairs being made to the Chapter House, when some scaffolding has slipped and upended several baskets of slates and some large stones. When they found him Brother Vasili was barely alive. Father Mikhail had been summoned, and he heard his old friend’s last confession, after shooing everyone away to a respectable distance. He had told Brother Boris to read the eulogy. Dmitri, and the rest of the Scriptorium, had been angry at that, but he could not deny that Brother Boris had been most fulsome in his praise. He had also noticed that Father Mikhail had kept a steady gaze on Boris throughout the service.

The funeral procession was over all too quickly. He and others from the Scriptorium had been given that actual task of burying Brother Vasili. Beside him worked Brothers Andros and Theodosius, from Mt Athos. Both had found a welcoming home in the Scriptorium. It did not take long for the grave to be complete. They all stood, a final prayer was said, and then the sad gathering sadly dispersed.

To his surprise Brother Dmitri realised Father Mikhail was at his side. “So down Brother, lend an old man the strength of your arm,” Father Mikhail suggested with a smile.

“Of course Father,” said Dmitri, and he quickly offered his arm to the Father. He noted that the older man’s breathing was very laboured.

“I don’t really have time for platitudes. Just before he died Brother Vasili told me he wanted you to become Brother Chronicler. Are you up to it?”

Dmitri was stunned, and almost stumbled. “I am unworthy… ” he began.

“So are we all,” snapped back Father Mikhail, “but that was not the question I asked. Are you, or are you not, capable of the task?”

Dmitri pondered for a moment. “I think so Father, with the help of the Lord.”

“Good. Now listen, and listen carefully. Brother Boris will most likely be the next Father of this House. Be ready.”

With that they had reached the church, and Father Mikhail walked once more by himself, leaving Dmitri standing, trying to come to terms with what had just happened.

_______

Lord Baratynksi had long harboured an ambition for the Tsardom. Small-minded that he was he could not understand why Lord Godunov was held in greater honour. Had he not ensured that the lackeys of the Terrible Tsar were defeated upon the accession of Tsar Feodor? Had he not stopped the forces of the Hohenzollern and quelled the Mazerovi rebels? All this he had done he said to himself, and I have been put aside in favour of some fool whose only accomplishment was managing a few Siberian goat-herders. He started to speak out against the policies of the Regent. At Court there were whispers that perhaps the money spent trying to convert the heathen ought to have another purpose, that perhaps peace ought to be secured permanently with the Ottoman. Not only this he sent word to the rebel Mazerov that all he needed was a distraction, and he could wrest the Tsardom.

I do not know whether Mazerov believed the Marshal, but soon after midsummer the lands to the west of the Ural River rose one after the other against the Tsar. As so often the first stirrings were amongst the Kouban Cossacks, who once again thought this was the time to re-establish their independence. Lord Zasetov, still overseeing the installation of a Russian government in Trebizond, dispatched his deputy, one Lord Petr Basmanov, to teach the Cossacks once more that they dreamed foolishly. This Lord Basmanov did swiftly, but news of the revolt spread to the Ural river-lands, and there the former subjects of the Khan of Sibir were heartened, and they too rose against the Tsar. From Jalutovorsk, Tenghiz, and Ichim peasants gathered and attacked every sign of the Tsardom that they could find. These included several chapels and churches that had been established there to introduce those ignorant peoples to the Saving Grace of Christ. In the west too there was trouble. In the lands around Polotsk, which had not properly recovered from the ravishing they suffered at the hands of the Prussians, and increasing number of farmers had turned to banditry. This problem was now acute, and the region was nearly ungovernable. Lord Patrikeev marched in their with an army, which cleared away many of the bandits, but he himself died when his party was ambushed by a group of desperate outlaws.

Mazerov meanwhile concentrated his activities once more among the Ukrainians, and particularly around those who lived nearby Poltava, since the Cossacks there seemed less willing to co-operate with the Tsardom. These he too whipped into a revolt. With all these difficulties Lord Baratynksi more forcefully made his argument that the policies of the Regent were not appropriate to the task. Impiously he spoke making common accord with the infidel, with letting the Mohammedan go their own way, of abandoning out attempts to bring the True Faith to those more misguided souls. The loss of Lord Patrikeev only furthered his arguments. Just though as it seemed that the Regent might be looking weak more news arrived in Moskva. Firstly the situation around Polotsk calmed. Lord Serebrianny, although once more failed to trap Mazerov, dispersed the Poltavan rebels. In the east Lord Mansurov had not been idle. He had known that some of the subjects of the Tsardom were unquiet in their yoke, and so had set up a system of messengers that allowed the scattered forces of the Tsardom to quickly coalesce. And slowly and methodically the region once more was reconciled to its servitude.

In Moskva Lord Baratynksi became increasingly bitter. Then, the Regent that had until now been seemingly content to let the Marshal go about as he wished, struck. Lord Baratynksi was arrested. In Court, where Lord Golovkin presented the damning evidence copies of the correspondence between Lord Baratynksi and Mazerov were publicly read. Moreover a council of prelates condemned Lord Baratynksi for publicly talking against Christian mission, and declared him a heretic. Several declarations were drawn up repudiating the ideas that Lord Baratynksi through mischief had raised.

Imprison Thinker IN Uncooperative Philosopher (Stability +1 Innovativeness –1)

The following year was, for the most part, quiet. There were continued rumours of Mazerov. The Regent dispatched various agents to try to ensure this criminal, but the ungodly man slipped through every snare that was laid. Lord Golovkin passed away, and during the Easter celebrations Regent Godunov appointed Lord Feodor Romanov as Marshall of Old Russia, now that Lord Baratynksi had been deprived of that office. Meanwhile Lord Patrikeev was given a special commission to devote himself to the hunt for Mazerov, and Lord Scheniatev was appointed Marshall of New Russia.

From the Catholic lands we heard that the realm of France, long divided by religious wars between the followers of Rome and those of Luther had been re-united by their King, Henri Bourbon. Meanwhile the King of Poland, having re-occupied Pommerania, now found himself in a war against the Elector of Brandenburg, the Kingdoms of England, Sweden, Denmark, and Bohemia, the Count of Friesland, and finally the City of Bremen. Only the Hohenzollern stood with the Poles.

Then in the Spring of the Year of Our Lord 1593 a small group of Ottomans slipped across the mountains into the vicinity of Trebizond. There they raised such infidels as had settled in the area, and cleverly ambushed a party that included the Marshal, Lord Zasetov. The Marshal was killed, and the rebels immediately set upon causing havoc in their success. Lord Petr Basmanov however, who at that time was still on the Steppes where he was finding certain camps from which missionaries could work, gathered his men and marched across the mountains. The Ottoman rebels, knowing that their best chance lay in blocking the passes made an assault upon the most critical of the forts. However the defenders stood strong and the rebels were caught between the walls and the army of Lord Basmanov. Moreover, Lord Basmanov has secured the allegiance of some Georgian guides who conducted a small force by a hidden route to block the escape route of the Ottomans. Thus a victory was declared against the Sultanate, though there was no formal war, and Lord Basmanov was elevated to the rank of Marshal.

These changes to the Cabinet did not please a great many of the boyars, for the new Marshals were not men like themselves. Not for them the ways of sloth and indulgence that so many of the boyars enclosed themselves in. Also, the creation of Lord Patrikeev as Inquisitor struck many as sinister and Popish. Not that they disputed the need to locate and destroy Mazerov, indeed many claimed it was a sign of weakness that the agitator has not yet been brought to justice. Lord Godunov though did not see merit in any of these complaints, and turned his eyes away from them. “Why should I waste time listening to these worthless prattles? I have other concerns that are far more worthy of my attention?” This may in fact be true, but the boyars did not take the scorn lightly. It was not that there was any open rebellion, but mutterings against the Regent increased. Feuds began to break out once more, and local officials quickly found themselves swept along by the petty bickering.

Ignore their Demands IN Nobles Demand Recovery of Former Rights (RR+2 for 24 months)

Whilst all these thinks brewed, and men’s minds turned to darker things, out in the Siberian wastes Lord Mansurov continued to labour to tame the trackless plains and frozen valleys. Having secured a reasonably strong position on the Ural river he now concentrated his efforts into helping secure the lands of the Corridor. To this end he founded the cities of Tara, Vengerovo, and Narim, thus securing the links between the Irtych River and the River Ob. In Far Siberia he also encouraged the founding of a new settlement, Mangazeya, on the Amur River, to secure the flank of Far Siberia against the pirate bases that were known to be hidden somewhere across the river.

Lord Patrikeev pursued Mazerov with great vigour. The Cabinet had granted him various powers to root out the infidel. He went everywhere with a group of monks who ensured that everything was Holy, and brought the power of the Faith to bear. However his progress, and the small doings of his prey, and the dissatisfaction of the boyars did much to harm the realm. The Regent was not blind to this, so he recalled the Inquisitor off from the Hunt, convinced that, for the moment at least, Mazerov was on the run and would be unable to mount any major rebellions. It was about now that the population of Minsk rioted over a supposed abuse by an officer of Lord Patrikeev. Investigations found there to be no truth to the rumour.

Poor Government Policies (Stability –1 Infra –600 Trade –600)

Although he had recalled the Inquisitor, this proved to be only a temporary leash, for within a year the Cabinet had released Lord Patrikeev but this time with a new mandate. Finally the Regent had become tired of the abuses and petty tyrannies of the boyars, and in a decree the Cabinet ordered the Inquisitor to investigate all cases of corruption and to seek out those who would so abuse the realm. With all the vigour that he used to hunt Mazerov Lord Patrikeev set about his new task, wishing to make good his inability to trap the bandit.

As if in answer it was during that year, that is the Year of Our Lord 1595, that Mazerov made appearance once more. Having seen his failures with the infidels he now concentrated his efforts in New Russia. In Minsk and the Mozyr he spoke, and soon the peoples there rose in revolts over invented slights that Mazerov has fed them. Meanwhile some Ukrainian Cossacks raided the lands around the fortress of Krementjug. The Regent, who was making a progress of that region, swiftly put down the rebels, and it was soon discovered that the Ottomans had bribed the Cossacks into taking up arms. Lord Scheniatev meanwhile made short work of the rebels in New Russia. Meanwhile Lord Patrikeev redoubled his campaign against the boyars and their little ways.

Try to Eradicate the Problem IN Corruption (Stability –1 Gold –130 Inflation – 10

Seeing that the Ottomans continued to have designs upon the Tsardom the Regent deemed it prudent that measures be taken to strengthen the border regions. To this end he offered small incentives – freedom for taxes for up to 10 years – to peasants who would settle in Jedisan. He offered similar incentives to those who would settle on the border of the Qazaq Khanate along the Ural river, at the urging of Lord Mansurov. The Sultan realised his intent, and angry, ordered his men to war against the Tsardom once more.

New Land Claimed (In Ichim Population +2000 Tax +1 In Jedisan Population +1000 Tax +1 MP +1)

Lord Serebrianny was killed in the first skirmish of the war, so the Regent who was overseeing the settlement programme immediately took command of all the forces of the Tsardom in the Ukraine. The War was declared just before the Feast of Michaelmass. The Sultan, not caring for Holy Days, marched his army across the river where it was meant by the Regent. After three hard fought battles the infidels were forced to turn back.

To the east Lord Basmanov did what he could to secure the defences of Trabzon, and then marched into the region of Sivas where he laid siege to the chief town of the region, Malatiya. Lord Godunov crossed the river himself, hoping to secure the crossings permanently, but news reached him that a second Ottoman army had moved into Jedisan from Moldavia, and so he quickly returned. The Ottoman army was large, and Lord Godunov quickly realised that he would be unable to destroy it. Instead he settled for raiding its supply routes. However he observed the Ottoman force, and perceiving a weakness ordered a great cavalry charge that decimated the Ottoman artillery. Although the Ottomans remained in Jedisan (for after this charge Lord Godunov retired to Krementjug to winter) there were so disrupted and reduced that they could do little of use.

There was a great expectation that now there would be a new series of Mazerovi revolts, but until Epiphany there was no news of them. This was because Lord Patrikeev had resumed his former role, and had been most effective in rooting out all instances of rebellion. But at the beginning of winter he was taken away – the victim of poisoning. Mazerovi were immediately suspected, and three traitors were discovered in his train. Before any sensible moves could be made to replace the Inquisitor a series of revolts erupted across the realm.

The first stirrings were in the Ukraine, where the citizenry of Kiev rioted against food shortages caused by the war. The military governor saw no option but to expel the rabble to beyond the city walls. Then Mazerov appeared, and now with Polish backing arrived with wagons of food for the hungry wretches, and promised them great things if they would make a stand against the Tsardom. He convinced them that the Sultan was their friend, and all they had to do was stand firm and he would liberate them. To this end they organised themselves and laid siege to their own city.

From there the violence spread to Minsk, but Lord Scheniatev had heard the mutterings of rebellion for months and quickly crushed the rebels. In the east of the Kouban Cossacks once more took to war, more now just for plunder and out of obstinacy that any real conviction.

As winter yielded to spring the Ottomans launched an attack on Trabzon. They forced one of the passes, but the defences of Trebizond had been strengthened and they could not breach its walls. Lord Basmanov first thought to break the siege he was engaged it, but then heard a report that the city’s defenders were close to starvation. So he sent heralds offering food in return for the keys of the fortress, and this offer was accepted. After suitably garrisoning in, and making sure the garrison commander was a man unlikely to unnecessarily antagonise the locals, he marched to relieve Trebizond.

In the event there was no battle however, for during the winter the Regent had dispatched an emissary to Tsargrad. Thus on the day after the New Year, the Twenty Sixth of March in the Year of Our Lord 1597, peace was declared. In return for handing back the city of Malatiya he received news of the whereabouts of Mazerov, and a promise that the Sultan would support the rebel no more. Thus freed he quickly saw to the end of the siege of Kiev, and Lord Basmanov once more quelled the Kouban plague.

In the autumn Mazerov’s final hand was played as the vovoedates of Ichim, Tenghiz, and Jalutovorsk rose together against the Tsardom. Forewarned is forearmed, and Lord Mansurov had appointed an able deputy in the region called Lord Goncharov. This rather small man, of a stout and crabby appearance, easily vanquished the ill-organised forces. Moreover he succeeded where all others had failed and captured Mazerov. The Ukrainian fool, abandoned by all those who had formerly supported him, was finally brought to heel by the hands of some Qazaqs, who wished the support of Lord Goncharov to secure rights of trade in Tobolsk. Lord Goncharov handed Mazerov over the Regent, but pleaded to be allowed to deal as he saw fit with the rest, for he declared that further punishments would only alienate these new subjects of the Tsardom. Happy at his success in securing Mazerov the Cabinet readily accepted his petition.

Appoint Dove IN Excellent Minister (ADM +2 for 24 months)

Mazerov was transported to Moskva where he was strung up in a cage at Court, for the Cabinet had decreed that he was not to be executed, but he would be made to suffer humiliation and indignity a thousand-fold before being allowed the mercy of death.

Thus I finish the Thirty-Sixth Book of the Chronicles of Gregorias, by the Grace of God. Brother Dmitri, Brother Chronicler of the House of Ss Stepanos and Ignatios.

Daniel Weaver You are most welcome. Indeed, if you are still reading I have a question for you, how do you think the story has progressed overall? Do the Monastery sections seem consistent? Any ways I might improve things?

For those wondering where precisely I colonised during this time here follows a city for province guide:

Tara (Tchany)
Vengerovo (Irtych)
Mangazeya (Sofiisk)
Narim (Demianka)

Thirty-Seventh Book of the Chronicles of Gregorias

OOC

The death of Father Mikhail had created surprising little upset in the Scriptorium – well, he had little opportunity. Times had been very hard. The long winter that spelled the end of Father Mikhail had heralded dire times for the Tsardom, but those times now blessedly seemed to be abating. And Brother Dmitri was hastily finishing his account of the past few years, alone, when he heard the sound of an unfamiliar tread in the Scriptorium.

It was Father Boris. He was regarding the main room with a sneer of contempt. Seeing that he was observed he did nothing to re-arrange his features into a more becoming mask. “Brother Dmitri, I see you are once more neglecting the Lord’s work.” It was a statement of fact, laden with threat.

Dmitri swallowed. “Father, I do as instructed.” That was a fairly safe reply – the Instructions of his post included the writing of this history, and those Instructions were now part of various Charters that the House held and even Father Boris was unlikely to risk them. His predecessors had been wise and, he suspected, rather pessimistic men.

“I do as instructed,” Father Boris mimicked. He picked up a torch. “It would be so easy to cause an accident,” he remarked. At that moment there were more sounds from outside. It was Brother Andros. Dmitri breathed a sigh of relief. He nodded to Father Boris and went to his writing desk. Before the Father could speak Brothers Andrei and Stepan entered, the old Serb slowly as his joints ached. Soon the whole Scriptorium was full with its complement of twenty-two Brothers and Novices.

Father Boris left without saying another word. Dmitri found his throat had gone dry. He beckoned Brother Andros, and they went into his study. Andros spoke quietly, “I saw the Father come here, and sent the word out.” He smiled. “We should be careful.”

Dmitri nodded, and then asked, “How did you know?”

Andros simply smiled. “Monastic politics in Mt Athos can get … rough. I had hoped to find a quieter place here, but the Lord wills as he wants and not according to my wishes. We need a plan.”

“Yes, we do,” said Dmitri. He sat back. He felt deeply troubled. He would also need to pray, but the other senior Scribes were being sent in by Brother Andros, and a couple of novices sent to make sure no one was listening at the door. It left a very unpleasant feeling in his mouth.

Lord, why has it come to this?

_____

Tsar Feodor Ivanovich passed away in the height of winter. The Regent and Cabinet summoned all boyars of the realm to Moskva, where, on Easter Day in the Year of Our Lord 1598 the Regent was consecrated Tsar Boris Godunov, of Rome and All Russia. All the Marshals of the Realm were present, and all pledged allegiance. The new Tsar was not idle. He made a proclamation in which he stated the Tsardom’s desire to be able to rule the waters that lapped its coasts. For otherwise the Tsardom is at the mercy of those who control those waters. So it seems only reasonable and right that the Tsardom begin action to correct this deficit. In this the Tsar began to build upon the wisdom of the Siberian shipwrights, and he put in charge of the project the commander of the Narva Squadron.

Land –1

During the summer we heard of a rumour that, near the recent town of Demianka, a particularly rare type of squirrel was discovered to live. What is remarkable about this squirrel is that its pelt is particularly soft, and much prized by craftsmen and all fine folk of discernment. Many trappers and fortune seekers flocked to the new town on the basis of these rumours alone. Meanwhile in Old Russia the Regent organised the clearing of some forests and opened the land up for colonisation on some of the estates of the Throne. Moreover he ordered a re-assessment of the same estates, and on the basis of that more effectively organised the exploitation of land, man, and beast, to the profit of the Realm.

New Land Claimed (In Demianka Population +2000 In Olonets Population +1000 Tax +1 MP +1

In the Autumn we heard that the King of Spain was crowned Emperor of the Germans. This was Phillippos the Third, and in this role he succeeded his father, who had by some been called the Great. Also in that autumn I heard of a delegation from the boyars of The Volga. Their complaint was that they disputed the right of the Tsar to make charges on traffic along the Volga River. They claimed that of old, from the time these lands had been acquired by the Tsardom, that the Volga had been declared a free waterway.

Tsar Boris is a holy and most conscientious man. He was much troubled that the Cabinet might, in error, have continued an illegal charge. So he appointed a Commission to investigate these claims. This Commission was led by Lord Goncharov, who had risen in the Tsar’s favour. He sent to many places for ancient charters, and discussed the matter with men of wisdom and excellence. The commission thus took several months to complete its work. However when it did so it found that Tsar Vasili Ivanovich, son of Tsar Ivan the Great, had indeed made such a grant, which the Terrible Tsar had abused and so had mostly become forgotten. Tsar Boris made a new proclamation confirming the earlier decree. However other groups of boyars immediately began agitating for similar concessions.

OK IN Nobles Refuse to pay taxes (Gold –30 Stability –1)

While all these matters continued Lord Mansurov continued his plans to ensure the security of the Corridor. To this end he oversaw the construction of Tomsk, and thereby helped secure the crossings over the River Ob; and also the town of Tulun that established the Tsardom’s first major outpost along the Ienessei River. I hear that Lord Mansurov now intends to establish a new town on the opposite bank of the Ienessei.

In Novgorod the Dubienskii were a family that had acquired a reputation for great wealth, but had been unfortunate enough to have a scarcity of heirs. Thus the whole fortune came into the possession of just one man, Alexandr, late in the Year of Our Lord 1599. Alexandr was an impatient man, who had served the family’s interests in the Siberian trade for some time. And it was in Siberia that Alexandr believed his life is to be led. So he secured an audience with Tsar Boris, who agreed, in exchange for many of the Dubienski properties in Old Russia, to grant Alexandr title and to give him a charter to control and exploit the lands of the lower Ural River. Lord Dubienski happily departed for Siberia, and made his seat at Tatarsk. However, not willing to sit idle he immediately set off to establish the town of Kiaktha, and then started to make investigations of other sites for foundations.

Gift to the State (Gold +200)

For some time however that was the last good news to reach our ears. The winter of the Year of Our Lord 1600 was exceptionally heavy, and the spring of the following year was unseasonably wet. Water lay on the land, and floods were common. The great rivers burst their banks and many little rivers too. Even the small stream that runs through the House went wild and covered half the orchard in water. In two places in particular the flooding was especially severe, along the Ural River and in Novgorod. The latter city was nearly sunk the water was so high, and this in itself caused great disruption. In the vovoedate of Krementjug the trouble was also severe, because the many people uprooted, and two rebellions began. Nothing much came of either, but the Tsar took note of the disturbance and made a proclamation ordering all his officials to be diligent in re-settling and calming the populace.

Flooding of 1601 (Stability –1 Tax in Novgorod and Omsk –1)

As winter set in Tsar Boris raised Lord Goncharov to the rank of Marshal, and ordered that he begin to make preparations for the expected difficult year ahead. For the floods and the rains had ruined many fields, and the harvest was poor. His task was twofold – to store whatever he could and also to be ready in case of disturbances among the peasantry.

Excellent Minister (DIP ADM MIL +3 for 24 months)

The famine, when it came, was terrible. Food began to give out soon after Easter in the Year of Our Lord 1602. Soon it also became apparent also that the fields still had not recovered from their unkind inundation, and that the harvest was again likely to be poor. In Moskva the poorest began to starve, but this was not restricted to the capital. Throughout the Tsardom the sight of the death-wagon started to become an all too common sight. In some places the weather caused the abandonment of wide expanses of land that now went fallow without hands to farm and tame them.

Famine of 1602 (Stability –2 Tax –2 in Olonets, Chernigov, Polotsk, Semipalatinsk; Population –5000 in Moskva, –2000 in Tver and Nizhgorod,
-1000 in Daghestan)

Seeing the Tsardom in trouble the Ottoman Sultan ordered that its defences be tested, and he sent a large force of cavalry in Jedisan. Tsar Boris had been forewarned of this treachery, and led an army in person. They met the cavalry in a place known as the Field of Apples and forced them to retreat. Meanwhile Ottoman agents roused the countryside of Trebizond against the Tsardom, and Lord Basmanov that had been laying waste to the Ottoman lands had to return to quell the unsettled peasants.

The Tsar now himself crossed the Danube, and routed another Ottoman force in Moldavia. Even as he fought another Ottoman force was making an attempt in Jedisan and was thwarted by another army under Lord Scheniatev. Lord Basmanov sallied against Ottoman forces building outside Trabzon and defeated several small groups. However the Tsar knew that he could ill afford to continue this war. The Sultan meanwhile, finding our defences still resolute and capable was happy to conclude a quick peace and this was concluded on the 22nd Day of November in the Year of Our Lord 1602.

While the negotiations took place the Tsar had turned his attentions once more to the troubles of the Realm. Now the reasons for the appointment of Lord Goncharov became clear, because Lord Goncharov had also overseen the procurement of grain from Poland and other places, of chickens and of sheep. These were distributed to the people. There were inadequate to the need, but they did palliate the hunger of the land. Even so the restlessness of the peasantry increased, and in Ukraine that winter a large force of peasants forced off the land started to loot and burn everything, before they were dispersed.

Try to alleviate the suffering IN React to Natural Disasters (Gold –150 Serfdom –1 Centralisation –1 Tax in Lugansk, Belgorod –1 Population in Moskva –2000 Tax in Moskva –2 RR +3 for 24 months)

The some terrible news struck. In the depths of winter a small group of armed men appeared on the estate of Lord Feodor Romanov. They broke into the house where he was staying and killed all they came across. Lord Romanov organised such servants and soldiers as he had as best he could, but surprise and tenacity and numbers were on the side of the attackers. They burst into a room and slew the Marshal, before hastily departing. On the bodies of those killed there were no distinguishing markings, and no conclusion could be made as to who organised the killing.

The death of Lord Romanov affected Tsar Boris deeply. Indeed, it propelled him. He was determined not to let himself get distracted by it, and thus made a series of pronouncements exerting his control. Seeing how much of the chaos was caused by the loose measures and reaction he ordained a series of measures to act against the continuing causes of difficulty. Thus he bought a great amount of seed-corn. He uprooted many peasants who were incapable of the trust of the land and ordered that the peasants would act as various officials instructed. He also ordered the boyars to obey the same in this time of emergency. However, by doing all of this Tsar Boris left no time to mount a proper search for the killers of Lord Romanov, and many wondered who could have ordered it. This created a great deal of additional confusion as the great lords looked at each other with suspicious eyes, wondering if one of themselves was responsible, and if so why?

Ignore it IN Assassination of a Noble (Stability –1)
Let’s deal with the Problem IN Take a more Decisive Stand! (Stability –1 Population in Moskva –2000 Centralisation +1 Tax in Krementjug +1 RR +3 for 15 months Revolts in Volgograd, Tenghiz, Tver (x2), Tobolsk)

Regardless of this there was plenty of disruption as a result of the Tsar’s new policy. A great mob surrounded the town of Narva for two months, before Lord Scheniatev was able to cast it to the winds. Tver was over-taken by rioters, and news of these reached Lord Scheniatev even as he was marching to Narva. It took two further months before law and order was brought back to the city. The greatest chaos though occurred in the Steppes. There Lord Goncharov took control, and was constantly moving from place to place to restore order to the region. Also for the first time there was trouble amongst the Siberian settlers, among the miners at Udinsk, that Lord Mansurov quickly dealt with. Finally in the Karelian Peninsular there was trouble, which Lord Scheniativ eventually turned to after the clearing of Tver.

During that winter the rumours began to take a more concrete form. It appears that there is a man claiming to be the Tsarevich Dmitri touring various European Courts trying to gather support. His claim is clearly false, the True Dmitri died and many attested to it. But this impostor claimed that there had been a plot against him, and he had slipped away and some serf had been buried in his place. He got a great deal of support in Poland, where many Lithuanian magnates still yearned to reclaim the lands lost not so long ago the Tsardom. Dmitri promised them these lands in return for his support.

For the time being however he had little support in the Tsardom, for in the Year of Our Lord 1604 the weather was clement and the fields were bountiful. Many said this was a sign of the favour Tsar Boris had with the Lord of Heaven. There were still many disturbances, chiefly still in the Steppe region, but order began to be tentatively restored.

An Excellent Year! (Population in Tchany and Moskva +500 Tax in Igrim and Moskva +1)

This Michaelmass the Tsar ordered a Feast of Celebration to be held throughout the Realm and had the following Proclamation be read. We have endured great hardships. We have been tested, and have risen to the challenge. Let all know now the character of Russian determination. Whatever assails us we will stand firm in full confidence and conviction, and in the Name of Christ on our lips. Now we look forward to a brighter future, and happier days. To ensure this I command that prayers be said for the Tsardom, that our current deliverance may be long-standing, and that we might reign a peaceful state. Amen.

Thus I finish this, the Thirty-Seventh Book of the Chronicles of Gregorias, by the Grace of God, by Brother Dmitri, Brother Chronicler of the House of Ss Stephanos and Ignatios.