ModTranslationHelper or how to translate any mod for Stellaris

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hann 235

Private
Mar 1, 2023
The program is created to help with localization of any mods for games by Paradox Interactive (HOI4, CK3, Stellaris) , but can be used to process any data stored in the key "value" format in files with .yml and .txt extensions.

Program functionality
  • Creates a directory with localizations for the selected language, replacing all pointers from source language to target language, i.e. l_english becomes l_russian and so on with other languages. No more manual replacing of first lines and manual renaming of files.

• will scan the directory with the localization of the vanilla game and if the key with the same value is found, the program itself will replace the value from the mod with the actual translation from the vanilla game. This is very helpful when the developer mod took a whole localization file from the vanilla game, changed a few lines there, the rest are not touched, put modification. No need to look for exactly which lines were changed...

• Machine translation of all localization strings (except the vanilla ones, of course). I know that machine translation is a low quality product, but modern online translators produce pretty good quality text. Of course, you as a translator have to go through the whole text and correct the errors of the online translator, but in general it makes the translation work a lot easier.

• Shields variables and parameters that the game adds to the translation from outside. Values such as concepts in CK3 [Concepts] or references to icons in Stellaris £icon£ will not be corrupted when you try to translate them with the online translator!

• Accepts the directory with the previous version of the localization. When an update of your mod is released, you no longer have to manually search for the added lines. The user sets the folder where the program should find the localization of the previous version, and the program already in progress compares the values from the mod folder with what has already been translated, if matches are found, it goes to the next line without trying to translate a second time what already has localization!

ENG.jpg

Download the latest version ModTranslationHelper
Quick guide to using the ModTranslationHelper
To contact the author in Discord

Last edited:
A new version of the software is out;)

Program update released. ModTranslationHelper 1.3.1

- Improved interface Added the ability to resize the program window, fixed a scaling bug for some users.
Tooltips appear when hovering over the question mark icon.
The function to disable the original line has been moved from the preferences to the program body.
- Protect text formatting and replace protected values for variables The quality of machine translation has been improved by shielding such values as #bold. Also changed the format of variable replacement when submitting for translation, which should eliminate errors related to variable changes during translation.
- Regular expressions have been fixed All regular expressions for escaping variables have been rewritten based on experience.
- Fixed the bug with missing settings directory Now if the program does not find the Documents directory in the default path, it creates a settings file directly in the program root.

Download

Last edited:
ModTranslationHelper 1.4.0
Link: https://github.com/JuryReimis/ModTranslationHelper/releases/tag/1.4.0
Released - 05.06.2023

Added manual selection of the language supported by the game
Now you can select the name of the folder with the localization, where the result of the program will be written. Useful when translating into a language which is not supported by the game as standard.

Added possibility to choose a game on which translation is planned
This choice determines the list of languages supported.

Added support for DeepL and Yandex translators
The choice is made in the settings. If you select the translator that requires api key, then the window for entering the api key will appear.
In this case information about the key is stored in local data, so you do not need to enter the key again when re-entering the program.

Added detailed statistics output after program exit.
You may also save these statistics for your personal use.

Small changes and fixes
Changed system of generated string. Now no matter how the string is generated in the original, the result will be written according to the general rule. Indent-key-localize-spell-localize.
Changed the file storage system.
Fixed bug, which caused the vanilla localization dictionary to be overwritten, and as a result the program did not find the same strings from the vanilla localization and the localization of the mod.
Changed process of protection of variables and concepts from localization again, new expressions were added.

Attachments

• 2023-06-05 18 48 47.jpg
    2023-06-05 18 48 47.jpg
    165,4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Hi all!
Today is a jubilee date, exactly 6 months ago the first fix for the first version of the program was released and we started to distribute and promote it. During this time we have released two major updates and a few minor fixes. Our small community is now close to 200 people and how many more are really using the program I can only guess. That's why I decided that it would be symbolic to release the new major update 1.4 on this day. A lot of people have been asking for this version ever since it was released. Support for a very accurate online translator DeepL. It's finally added. There is support for Free-account and Pro-account. However, I will describe all changes in post on Boosty, which will come out a little later. Just a reminder, that posts there are open absolutely for free, subscribe. But here I want to write about something else.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hey Hann! I have been using your mod to translate other mods to spanish and it works great! However I have seen some issues:
- If a loc key has no text ("") the tool leave the field blank (without "") so the localization gets broken.
- Sometimes the tool adds the correct language key at the begining of the file but does not clean the original. I suspect it happens because the original file doesnt have the language key at the begining of the file, instead it has some comment there.