• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Gavin Trotochau

Recruit
48 Badges
Aug 9, 2016
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II
I am having an issue where I can't get any of the steam mods to work I can subscribe to them just fine but when I load up the launcher I can't click the mods tab since I am guessing the mods did not download properly can someone give me some advice on how to fix this.

Is this really in CK2? Because this sounds like an issue we've seen more commonly with the new launcher and say HOI4.

Is this really in CK2? Because this sounds like an issue we've seen more commonly with the new launcher and say HOI4.
Well they do have very similar launchers... (and yes i have this problem... with this particular game.... and i haven't been able to fix it for several months.)

Well they do have very similar launchers... (and yes i have this problem... with this particular game.... and i haven't been able to fix it for several months.)
Erm, no they don't - the CK2 launcher is nothing like the new general Paradox launcher for HOi4, CK3 and so on.

Have you used mods okay with this game before? Do they show in its mods tab?

Erm, no they don't - the CK2 launcher is nothing like the new general Paradox launcher for HOi4, CK3 and so on.

Have you used mods okay with this game before? Do they show in its mods tab?
yes to the first, no to the second.

Do the mod files appear in the Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK2/mod/ folder?

Okay then, something is preventing the game from putting them there. Commonly an antivirus app.

Which one do you use? Add ck2game.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.

Okay then, something is preventing the game from putting them there. Commonly an antivirus app.

Which one do you use? Add ck2game.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
i use McAffee
CK2 is set to open to all devices and it still does nothing even when i turn off McAffee's firewall Netguard features, and by proxy Window's Defender says it isn't active.

Place the attached file userdir.txt in the Steam folder where ck2game.exe is. It tells the game to write the user files right there instead of under Documents.

Then run the game from the Steam PLAy button. Does it make a /mod/ folder there and copy the mod files in?

Attachments

• userdir.txt
    1 bytes · Views: 0
It downloaded empty folders with their names, after i unsubscribed and resubscribed while the launcher was open....

Last edited:
Not sure I follow ... if you subscribe in the Steam workshop when the game is closed the mod files get downloaded to a Steam folder. Then when you run the game they get copied to the above folder.

Generally speaking there will be a .mod file and a .zip file for each mod.

Not sure I follow ... if you subscribe in the Steam workshop when the game is closed the mod files get downloaded to a Steam folder. Then when you run the game they get copied to the above folder.

Generally speaking there will be a .mod file and a .zip file for each mod.
the first part doesn't work i guess, because i have to actively unsubscribe then resubscribe while the game is running to get them to copy anything into the mod folder....
which is to say, they download a .zip folder/file thing that is empty when you look into it (if it's supposed to be, then ok)
but don't download a .mod file at all.

if it's steam i don't understand how steam could be having problems uploading CK2 mods onto my computer then I have EU4 with mods, HOI4 with mods, heck even Skyrim and Medieval Engineers with Mods and none of them have trouble downloading

If you delete that mod folder then run the game, just to the launcher, that is what happens? You get an empty .zip file and no .mod file appearing in it?

If so I'm really not sure what could be causing that for you. We know it is not a general problem.

Please the attached file userdir.txt in the Steam folder where ck2game.exe is. It tells the game to use that folder, not Documents, for the user files including mods.

Then run the game from the Steam PLAy button to the launcher. Does it make a mod folder there? If so does it place a real .zip file and a .mod file there for each mod?

Attachments

• userdir.txt
    1 bytes · Views: 0
If you delete that mod folder then run the game, just to the launcher, that is what happens? You get an empty .zip file and no .mod file appearing in it?

If so I'm really not sure what could be causing that for you. We know it is not a general problem.

Please the attached file userdir.txt in the Steam folder where ck2game.exe is. It tells the game to use that folder, not Documents, for the user files including mods.

Then run the game from the Steam PLAy button to the launcher. Does it make a mod folder there? If so does it place a real .zip file and a .mod file there for each mod?
I put the thing in there and nothing happened, other than the game completely reseting.

Did it make any new folders in the Steam-Ck2 folder? /Logs/ for instance?

But not the /Mod/ folder, is that right?

If that is so, perhaps we have a Steam issue here - let me know and I'll try to come up with an approach to that.