• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I only ask because I have been having the same issue and did everything Andrew said to do in this thread, and have had no success.
Same here, albeit I think I found whatever my issue is.

I'll double-check my security permissions as well. Side note: in no universe should a game require a specific bypass through your firewall.

Congrats @8igualdos0s! What about your checksum? I am asking because my mods get loaded but my checksum doesnt change... what about you?

When you say you gave "access permission to folders" what exactly do you mean? Could you please explain it to me... i wanna try it myself! :)

I only ask because I have been having the same issue and did everything Andrew said to do in this thread, and have had no success.

Sorry to hear that. Are you sure that you tried everything that he said?. Even deleting everything in your drive before reinstallation?. I had to manually search all the folders to do that....

Last edited:
Congrats @8igualdos0s! What about your checksum? I am asking because my mods get loaded but my checksum doesnt change... what about you?

When you say you gave "access permission to folders" what exactly do you mean? Could you please explain it to me... i wanna try it myself! :)

Thank you, Fletz. It wasn't easy, but well...I only hope you can also fix your own problem.

What I did was give folder access/permission to all users in C:/steam/etc and Documents/Paradox/etc.
  1. Right-click on a file or folder.
  2. Select Properties.
  3. Click the Security tab.
  4. Click Advanced.
  5. Click "Change" next to the owner name....

And also add Stellaris and Steam to permited apps in firewall and antivirus options.

I did so many (desperate) things this last week that I can't remember everything. Plus I don"t know what was something useful or not... XD

I am not sure about my checksum. When I'll come back home, I will upate this thread...

Last edited:
Ok I have managed to isolate my own problem to the new launcher. I tried to force it to reinstall, and now Stellaris won't boot entirely. Since this is now an entirely new issue (and VASTLY more critical), I've opened a new thread here. Keep an eye on it as there may be some fixes that those of you who are still having issues can try.

There are only two folders (@MyDocuments and @Steamapps), or not?
There is a third...the launcher's folder. Unfortunately I cannot say for certain where it is.

EDIT: nvm, got reply sniped by Bigualdos0s

There are launcher files all over the place ... !

At least:
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Roaming/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/

- add stellaris.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.

Side note: in no universe should a game require a specific bypass through your firewall.

And I am completely baffled that an experienced poster (with the moderator tag) can seriously recommend (in bold no less) to add an non-user compiled executable to the ransomware protection white-list of a system, or to bypass anti-virus protections for that matter.

NO well-designed and properly coded game executable should ever require this.

- unsubscribe from ALL mods in the Steam workshop
I wouldn't be surprised if this was the real issue.

Even though I don't own Stellaris, I know that the Steam Workshop pulls some shenanigans with mods for Crusader Kings 2, for example. Go over a certain limit, like 50 mods, and nothing works. Even if one respects the limit, some CK2 Workshop mods just don't download, even if they can clearly be seen as activated/subscribed in the browser interface.

And I am completely baffled that an experienced poster (with the moderator tag) can seriously recommend (in bold no less) to add an non-user compiled executable to the ransomware protection white-list of a system, or to bypass anti-virus protections for that matter.

NO well-designed and properly coded game executable should ever require this.
PDS games keep their user info in the Windows User Documents folders, which are classed as System folders. They have done this for like 10 years. Now under Windows 10 MS have added Ransomware protection which if enabled stops any user app from writing to those folders. Adding a manual exception to allow that is not dangerous or unusual in any way. I don't think they are going to rewrite all PDS games to change where that stuff is stored.

Now under Windows 10 MS have added Ransomware protection which if enabled stops any user app from writing to those folders.
Ah, the ransomware protection completely slipped my mind. I suppose it does cost the world 8 Billion dollars a year, so it's worth the trouble of having to add programs to the security.

I too have the same, problem, all mods show up in the launcher, they just are not in the game. I already tried everything that has been suggested here but, alas, I am still lost. Nothing seems to work and I really can't understand why or how the hell they managed to f up so bad. If any news are available, I hope this thread can keep going with new possible solutions.

I too have the same, problem, all mods show up in the launcher, they just are not in the game. I already tried everything that has been suggested here but, alas, I am still lost. Nothing seems to work and I really can't understand why or how the hell they managed to f up so bad. If any news are available, I hope this thread can keep going with new possible solutions.
Emm I think that I found possible way of solving this problem. Stellaris and pdx launcher are overwriting mod files in mod folder by changing file path in "modname.mod" file and that is causing problem with loading mods, try to set mod folder to a "read only" and uncheck this option for main Stellaris instalation folder. The file path should be "mod/modname" not "C:/Users/Username/....."
This should help if you still have problems with mods.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: