• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I really like this modification. Movement is at a good speed now.

Only encountered one problem so far:
Mission: Ambush Convoy; Planet: Martian
-> endless black loading screen with only the load circle and the tooltips shown
-> it's in between the lance setup & the 'prepare for mission' screen
-> I was able to reproduce this by reloading the save

- Trying another mission in the same system works as it should (planet was lowlands, contract was destroy base)

So probably a problem with the loading of the 'prepare UI' (with the Leopard shown above the planet, where you can click 'Begin mission'). Probably because it's a martian planet, never encountered this before. I'll keep an eye open if similar contracts in different systems are available and if it's also happening there.

Are you able to pull the log and see the error? Could also be a problem with loading something like a 'Mech, Vehicle, Turret, etc.

okay, looks like it's something with a vehicle movedef.
On the 4th or 5th try the mission was loaded properly.
Luckily, I have a log from the stuck and one from the working mission ;)

edit: thx to Fox, I looked at the output_log and found this:
Data.DataManager.LoadRequests [ERROR] manifestEntry is null for [WWeapon_SRM_SRM2_0-STOCK] [WeaponDef] - resourceIds are case sensitive so be sure to check that too.
(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Data.DataManager [ERROR] LoadRequest for WWeapon_SRM_SRM2_0-STOCK of type WeaponDef has an invalid manifest entry. Any requests for this object will fail.

Attachments

• ModTek-stuck_load.log
    206,1 KB · Views: 98
  • ModTek - mission_loads.log
    206,3 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
Looks like a typo in one of the files for a SRM_2

Can you check the lines around that to see if it indicates which 'Mech / Vehicle?

Found it!

Replace this file - vehicledef_APC_Wheeled_SRM.json

It is in the \\JK_Variants\vehicle folder

Attachments

• vehicledef_APC_Wheeled_SRM.zip
    660 bytes · Views: 16
Last edited:
and send me you MW callsign/name if I haven't collected from you already ;)

@Justin Kase was that file in your Variants or in your MinorAdjustments? Too lazy to look right now. ;)

Heh, not a worry ;)

//JK_Variants/vehicle

v1.04.1 changelog

***Mods added***

Battletech Balance Overhaul - https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mod-battletech-balance-overhaul.1100320/
Partial implementation of this mod. All of the weapons changes were added and some of the other balance tweaks as well. This replaces the previous weapons pack.

Improved AI - https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...2-still-building-a-better-mouse-trap.1075322/
NOTE: THIS MOD IS NOT ENABLED BY DEFAULT. This is a highly experimental mod that aims to improve the AI in the game and make it more competetive. I don't know how balanced or effective it is which is why it is disabled. If you'd like to play this mod pack with it enabled, open up the mod.json file in "Improved AI" and change the "enabled" value from false to true.

***Weapons rebalancing***

Base weapon balance (changes from vanilla):

AC/2:+5 damage
AC/10: +10 damage, +5 stability
SRM2: Heat -2, Stability -1 (per missile)
SMR4: Heat +1, Stability -1 (per missile)
SRM6: Stability -1 (per missile)
LRM5: Stability -1 (per missile)
LRM10: Heat -2, Stability -1 (per missile)
LRM15: Heat +1, Stability -1 (per missile)
LRM20: Heat +2, Stability -1 (per missile)
S Laser: Heat -1
PPC: Damage +5, Heat -10
L Laser Damage +5, Heat -6

ER PPC: Dmg +5, Heat -10
ER LL: Dmg +5, Heat -10
LPL: Dmg +5, Heat -10, Ignore 2 evasion pips
ERML: Heat -5
MPL: Heat -8, Ignore 2 evasion pips
ERSLL: Heat -7
SPL: Heat -4, Ignore 2 evasion pips

All +/++/+++ weapons have been re-balanced as well. Bonuses have been normalized so we no longer have some weapons getting 50% damage bonuses while others get 20% (or even less)

***Minor Changes***

Increased sensor and spotter range
Base Spotter distance = 350
base sensor distance = 450

Increased the number and variety of contracts. These changes provide a better diversity of contracts.
"MaxContractsPerSystem" : 6 (from 5)
"ContractDifficultyVariance" : 5 (from 1)

The patch for JK_Variants was incorporated. The error in this file could cause errors when trying to load certain missions.

Mech speed changed to be 1.5x vanilla speed values instead of 2.0x. Audio delay values also slightly added. These changes make combat flow much better and feel less silly.

Indirect fire penalty increased from 3 to 5.

Last edited:
Played this one for a bit, works together really nicely. I think Broken Salvaged Mechs should definitely be added - it's just wrong that the Orion I took both left and right torsos off to get 3 pieces of salvage is suddenly back at 100% for my next contract instantly, while my Centurion that lost an arm is going to be out of action for 3 months.

Also the low armor for enemy mechs in some contracts feels wrong. You could maybe see a Jenner or something with half armor, but there's no way something like a Blacknight would be running 25% armor. Maybe the 'shoddy' debuffs should be changing to something like -5% or -10% armor, not the -50% or -75% they are now.

@ryanzag So, what you're saying is that it's not hard enough for you, yet? ;). My concern with the broken salvage mod is that it might take an eternity to get a mech up and running. Perhaps I'll implement it but only "slightly" break the components. That mod is very popular so it is worth looking into.

Interesting point with the "shoddy" values. I haven't seen this tweaked in a mod, yet, but I'm sure those values are in .json somewhere.

I am also concerned about making the beginning too hard, though. One of the issues that came up with the NGNG mod was that it promoted a playstyle where you never wanted to take any damage ever. I really don't like such a pristine playsryle. I want your mechs to get damaged and still be functional while you drop with half fixed mechs. I don't just want this mod pack to be a sledgehammer.

Agree, I think the difficulty seems OK. I have taken to scrapping mechs when they get destroyed and replacing them with any new ones I manage to salvage. I scrapped that Centurion with the missing arm and replaced it with the Orion. But it's just really non-immersive. It should have been quicker to repair the arm on the Centurion than rebuild that Orion with one missing leg, two missing arms, two missing torsos and a badly damaged center torso, right?

So I'd think it would be better to have that Broken Salvaged Mechs mod just for immersion, and then tweak repairs in some way to make it still playable. Repair times for lost arms seem a bit too high as it is -- if you lose an arm or leg on a mech, it's usually better just to scrap the whole mech and buy a new one from a store... Not really sure how to balance that though. But for immersion, when you salvage pieces of a destroyed mech from the field, it shouldn't instantly be a full mech.

EDIT: And the mech it came from was 'shoddy' so it had 50% armor.. but now it's been instantly repaired and somehow has full armor too. Huh? Maybe if you salvage a 50% armor mech, it should have the max armor reduced permanently.

Last edited:
Thought of a potential (and extreme) solution if you're interested.

- 1 Salvage part to create a new mech. Mech comes completely broken.
- Scrap value for mechs dropped to 1/10th (eg, about 20k - 50k instead of 200k+ as current)

That means you can get any mech even if you core it, but you'll be spending a good 6 months repairing the thing to working order. Might be a good solution for all the new JK variants, as you'll be able to easily choose which of the downed mechs you want to fix up and use, and you scrap the rest for a few bucks.

Just setting salvage required to 5 parts (from 3) makes it take WAY longer to get mechs (esp early game)

Edit - realized you guys are using all the variants... yeah 5 parts would probably suck badly for that

Last edited:
That just makes it more grindy though, right? And more RNG on whether you get lucky and see the same variant twice. Plus you still end up with those destroyed pieces of mech magically becoming a full mech, which is silly. I don't think that really improves anything. I'd rather have to take the cored out 1 piece of mech, and have to put it in the repair bay (+ 1Mil fee) for 6 months. Less RNG, get to choose which mech you want to rebuild, much more immersive, etc. This mod already has the 1M repair fee and 6 month repair time for your own mechs, so extending it to mechs you salvage makes sense too - provided getting the pieces is made easier, and selling pieces you don't need gives you enough money to keep afloat while waiting for the rebuild...

The potential solution I was toying around with for salvage is this:

1) Make it take only 2 parts to salvage a mech.

2) Not have all of the parts be completely repaired. What the latest update of BrokenSalvagedMechs has included is:

HeadRepaired - bool - default false - Head will appear in mechbay already repaired.
LeftArmRepaired - bool - default false - Left arm will appear in mechbay already repaired.
RightArmRepaired - bool - default false - Right arm will appear in mechbay already repaired.
CentralTorsoRepaired - bool - default false - Center torso will appear in mechbay already repaired.
LeftTorsoRepaired - bool - default false - Left torso will appear in mechbay already repaired.
RightTorsoRepaired - bool - default false - Right torso will appear in mechbay already repaired.
LeftLegRepaired - bool - default false - Left leg will appear in mechbay already repaired.
RightLegRepaired - bool - default false - Right leg will appear in mechbay already repaired.
NoItems - bool - default true - Items from the standard layout will be appear in mechbay destroyed, even when the part is set to beeing repaired.

RandomRepair - bool - default false - Repair random parts in addition to repaired parts set above.
RandomRepairChance - float - default 0.5 - Set value between 0 and 1 as a chance that parts will be repaired.
RandomDamageOnRepaired - bool - default false - Repaired parts are not pristine condition. Instead they have random amount of damage to them.

I've highlighted the parts I'm particularly interested in. We can set how much of the mech components could show up repaired and then assign random damage to them. So, for example, we could have all of the legs, arms, and head be repaired, but with random damage. Then we could have the RT, CT, and LT have a randomized chance to be completely broken, and if they're "repaired" then they'd have random damage on them anyways.

The potential solution I was toying around with for salvage is this:

1) Make it take only 2 parts to salvage a mech.

2) Not have all of the parts be completely repaired. What the latest update of BrokenSalvagedMechs has included is:

HeadRepaired - bool - default false - Head will appear in mechbay already repaired.
LeftArmRepaired - bool - default false - Left arm will appear in mechbay already repaired.
RightArmRepaired - bool - default false - Right arm will appear in mechbay already repaired.
CentralTorsoRepaired - bool - default false - Center torso will appear in mechbay already repaired.
LeftTorsoRepaired - bool - default false - Left torso will appear in mechbay already repaired.
RightTorsoRepaired - bool - default false - Right torso will appear in mechbay already repaired.
LeftLegRepaired - bool - default false - Left leg will appear in mechbay already repaired.
RightLegRepaired - bool - default false - Right leg will appear in mechbay already repaired.
NoItems - bool - default true - Items from the standard layout will be appear in mechbay destroyed, even when the part is set to beeing repaired.

RandomRepair - bool - default false - Repair random parts in addition to repaired parts set above.
RandomRepairChance - float - default 0.5 - Set value between 0 and 1 as a chance that parts will be repaired.
RandomDamageOnRepaired - bool - default false - Repaired parts are not pristine condition. Instead they have random amount of damage to them.

I've highlighted the parts I'm particularly interested in. We can set how much of the mech components could show up repaired and then assign random damage to them. So, for example, we could have all of the legs, arms, and head be repaired, but with random damage. Then we could have the RT, CT, and LT have a randomized chance to be completely broken, and if they're "repaired" then they'd have random damage on them anyways.

Hmm, now that I've written that down I actually really like that idea.

24y43o.jpg

One other thing I'd like to add - comments on the repair times are particularly useful. One of the issues a lot of people had with the No Guts No Galaxy mod (myself included) was the extremely long repair and medical times. Part of that reason was a bug in the code that made all repair times way too long. I fixed the bug and tried to make repair times much more manageable, but the amount of live testing is quite limited on this aspect. For example, somebody on NexusMods said they scaled it back by a factor of 10 and had a much more enjoyable experience...

Hey Don, really like what you are doing with this mod comp.

Couple thoughts/questions (pretty random):

1 - Is it possible to set the "spotter" and "sensor" distance by chassis class or by mech? Could do larger sensor/spotting ranges for light mechs over others, allow for longer range targetting and extreme range engagements allowing the light's to have a 'place' in the 4-5 skull matches.
1a - You said sensor and spotting distance was changed to 450 and 350... what were they originally?​

2 - Could you set the 'pip' loss on light mechs by hit or miss (hit = pip loss)? (I think a few mods might do this already and more, but I'm not sure that more than this is needed)

3 - Can you have 'close' range weapons ignore 'pips'? So now MG, SL and Flamers have a place on all mechs to by-pass those high pip mechs. Could even end up designing a mech set up that is a 'light hunter' with lots of mobility and close range weapons (combined with the free brace at 8, a punching/close range mech, might actually be viable), and give bigger mechs options other than punching to hit high-pip enemies (assuming the new balance for hit chance and a 6 pip enemy)

4 - Is it possible to set up different configurations of mechs for the AI that are non-stock? Seeing the same stock mechs over and over with the same loadout is boooooooring (and leaves them inefficient compared to Player optimized builds). Sidebar- is it possible to set up different mech configurations based on enemy type? when I fight pirates I want to see some crazy builds when I fight a house, I want to see builds that lean towards their tendencies. Also, always seeing a rare variant on the field with a bunch of star league gear is kind of immersion breaking too, even if someone had that variant on the field during this time, it's highly unlikely they would field it with exactly the star league stock options.

5 - Is it possible to do 'work' on more than 1 mech at a time? You have 1-3 bays, should you not be able to work on 1-3 mechs simultaneously? This might help with some of the repair/and new mech construction considerations I'm seeing floating around these forums and this thread.

6 - Drop limits (as done in NGNG or others), does that impact the enemy drops too? or does a 5 skull still drop 6-800 tons of metal to chew through no matter what?

7 - is it possible to edit the contract types through modding yet? can we build additional optional/secondary objectives (like finish in X turns, or capture a second base, or capture fleeing secondary enemy)

8 - Can you adjust the weight/size of some of the arm/leg mods? As they are now, they are pretty ineffective for the weight (and risk) that is required to use them. (I would even consider just making them all 0.5t and more slots so you can't stack more than 1-2 per section)
8a - diddo for the TTS mods.. 3t is a bit much... but maybe accuracy has a premium now that the chance to hit is worse?​

Thanks again, and keep up the good work!

Cheers,

-n