• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
3 for northern mediterranean, 5 for southern european, 6 for levantine

:confused:

Are you sure? That way Levantine would be paler than southern european, who in turn would be paler than northern mediterranean.

I've applied the exact same color change to all the age classes now, unfortunately they don't look equally good as it seems the vanilla Mediterranean portraits change skin color significantly as they age. For some reason they actually get lighter and lighter instead of darker, isn't it usually the other way around? Maybe they stay locked up in their estates more in their older days..

Anyhow as I did finish it I've decided to upload it, I might try to give a bit more color for the older generations later. Maybe I can also lessen the shadows on their faces, but that will probably take a while.
3 young, 1 middle age, 1 old:
c54flL1.jpg
rd7XcOn.jpg
neg4MhM.jpg
cp75az9.jpg
eM71Nft.jpg

I also applied it to the men, but it seems it went worse. Not only do they also lighten with age, but even the young ones are paler and also different tones, so I think I'll have to redo it. They could be worse, but they do seem slightly sickly-looking/greyish to me. Also is it just me or shouldn't the men be slightly more tan than the ladies? To the best of my knowledge no nobles actually tried to obtain a tan, so the men being more active in visiting estates/hunting/fighting in the countryside would be more tanned than the ladies.

As I did finish it I decided to also upload them in case anyone wants them, or if you just wish to test if they are tolerable ingame.. :)
2 young, 3 middle age, 2 old:
vtcV5aL.jpg
EGNnJUX.jpg
ti18KLT.jpg
m9SCot1.jpg
A50Xu9t.jpg
6cllFwm.jpg
o0hs4bv.jpg

Download:
View attachment 84532
View attachment 84533

I haven't made them into a proper mod yet, but if you want to use it just put the folder in one of your mod's GFX folders, overwriting when prompted (might want to back it up unless you are fine with reinstalling that mod if you change your mind). It will then replace vanilla Mediterraneans, you'll still need the DLC though.

Once I've attempted some improvements on it I'll release it as a proper mod and edit the OP, but anyone is welcome to use it as is.

Looking... um... greyish/sickly as you say. :p

You're still getting there at the least. Just a little bit of tweaking off the sickliness and I think that could work. Maybe try not to make them so pale, I think most of us would be fine if they were just a tad bit tanned, historically accurate or not, so long as it's better than the original Med portraits.

I agree, they are too pale. It's just a bit trickier than I thought at first because I'll need to adjust the colors for each age and gender separately and try to get them to match. Completely doable though.

Also is it just me or shouldn't the men be slightly more tan than the ladies? To the best of my knowledge no nobles actually tried to obtain a tan, so the men being more active in visiting estates/hunting/fighting in the countryside would be more tanned than the ladies.
Yes, the ladies tried to be very pale; simbol of nobility.

I don't think they are too pale (but the old female portraits must be darker).
I'd love to use them, but that eyebrows...They ruin everything...

I don't think they are too pale (but the old female portraits must be darker).
I'd love to use them, but that eyebrows...They ruin everything...
I primarily meant the men, but also the middle aged and old ladies, the young ones look just fine though.

Which eyebrows do you mean, the old ones? Or all of them?

the young and middle-age male ones; they look like monkeys.

?? Go to the zoo again. You don't know what monkeys look like. ;)

That the 3rd guy has black eyebrows while having brown hair looks wrong though, i agree there.

@Velorian
Are you still looking for feedback regarding the pictures in post#14 ?

the young and middle-age male ones; they look like monkeys.
And why black eyebrows with brown hair?
Almost no monkey species even have eyebrows, they have skin folds. So it's a very human feature. Anyhow I've seen many real men with such eyebrows, though I suppose they are somewhat uncommon. In-game they don't all have that big eyebrows, these were just some quick examples.

The brow color doesn't change with the hair for any culture groups at all as they are locked to the eyes' GFX file. It's the same with vanilla western, it's just less noticeable.
@Velorian
Are you still looking for feedback regarding the pictures in post#14 ?
Sure go ahead. I may make multiple versions, and I'm not even done with the first one.

surely the 2's eyebrown is not human; they are bigger than eyes!
Search for either of Andy Rooney, Denis Healey, Eugene Levy, Steve Frost, Theo Waigel or Martin Scorcese on Google and you will see men with bigger eyebrows than eyes. I've also seen people here and there in real life with it. I'm not arguing that they look pretty, but they do exist.

@ Velorian
The byzantines above look good as do the arabs on the OP, but i miss the famous greek noses. :D

I wonder how many different faces you intend to do ?

From your posts it seems you like to just make one mediterranean for all, it confuses me a wee bit.:unsure:
Basically i would just give my idea of which attempt fits which culture and may make one or two suggestions regarding skin colour or hair.
Nothing of big relevance.:rolleyes:

...or in other words, what are you actually asking for ? What try fits which culture or specific details ?
I suppose my understanding of english got a bit rusty over the years.

Last edited:
Search for either of Andy Rooney, Denis Healey, Eugene Levy, Steve Frost, Theo Waigel or Martin Scorcese on Google and you will see men with bigger eyebrows than eyes. I've also seen people here and there in real life with it. I'm not arguing that they look pretty, but they do exist.

But they are not so common. What's the rate, 1/5 that a character have that eyebrown? And, about the color, in other gfx it's not noticeable because that eyebrown have normal size.

Could we have a link for the lightened Muslim portraits please?

@ Velorian
The byzantines above look good as do the arabs on the OP, but i miss the famous greek noses. :D

I wonder how many different faces you intend to do ?

From your posts it seems you like to just make one mediterranean for all, it confuses me a wee bit.:unsure:
Basically i would just give my idea of which attempt fits which culture and may make one or two suggestions regarding skin colour or hair.
Nothing of big relevance.:rolleyes:

...or in other words, what are you actually asking for ? What try fits which culture or specific details ?
I suppose my understanding of english got a bit rusty over the years.
Mainly your opinions on how the colors should be for each culture, given the limitation that there can only be one for each culture. So which of the attempts is closest to fitting them, and if they don't quite fit whether they should be lighter/darker or more red/yellow or if they look to have a weird color blend. I'll probably do one Mediterranean blend for Italians/Greeks/Spaniards and one for the Levant, but for now I'm just trying to get one right.

It will replace for all Mediterraneans, unless a mod tells it to only do so for certain cultures. Like CPR.
But they are not so common. What's the rate, 1/5 that a character have that eyebrown? And, about the color, in other gfx it's not noticeable because that eyebrown have normal size.
That particular eyebrow would be 1/13, but when you count all the big ones that may be about right. I guess the creators of the pack wanted to play to the stereotypes both with skin and hair to give it as striking an appearance as possible. For now not really much I can do about the eyebrows, just skin.

Could we have a link for the lightened Muslim portraits please?
It's not done yet, it's only done for the young females.

I've finished the first version. This whole thing was a tad trickier than I'd expected as I had to reconfigure the colors for each age class and each each gender seperately. I didn't manage to get it quite like I wanted, but I think it became pretty good in the end, good enough for me at least!

The main problem was the shadows and the skin being a bit too smooth, but I think if you compare the base models of Mediterranean Vanilla with that of Western Vanilla you can see why:
lmkH7Hx.jpg

My intention was for the men to be slightly more tan than the ladies, but it seems it ended up the other way around. A side-effect from me having some difficulty getting the color on the men to be healthy-looking. Anyhow now that it's at a decent level I'm taking a break from the Mediterraneans and making an attempt at lightening the Vanilla Muslim GFX.

Example Screenshots:
Young Mediterranean Females:
GnPnSEl.jpg
JqRJiWZ.jpg
2iNhNAt.jpg
3GOZgPK.jpg
k4A5c27.jpg

Middle-aged Mediterranean Females:
xEk9QsY.jpg
nzNleuW.jpg
XVTZ4Hl.jpg
yurmovj.jpg
vEZDN7j.jpg

Old Mediterranean Females:
BiN63tC.jpg
iqwbcqL.jpg
UCDjDIV.jpg
nmg5IZj.jpg
pvZT7YB.jpg

Young Mediterranean Males:
cf38BXV.jpg
djxHcKd.jpg
2s4vLy7.jpg
3p3TQAB.jpg
EnPOoh3.jpg

Middle-aged Mediterranean Males:
xIDDUR1.jpg
JAS7cpd.jpg
RVLWP1C.jpg
Fe0M57S.jpg
sPofCbR.jpg

Old Mediterranean Males:
PcUFc8Q.jpg
XLLg76g.jpg
aqhV3l2.jpg
gST5rVw.jpg
xM3eKKS.jpg

Install
Place the two folders in a mod's GFX folder, I forgot to make a proper mod for it. It will replace Mediterranean GFX for any cultures that make use of those, it will still require the Mediterranean DLC.

Download:
View attachment 84746