Modern strategy game ending screens kinda depress me

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TimeMask

Major
105 Badges
Sep 8, 2013
  • Sengoku
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Magicka
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • March of the Eagles
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
Old school strategy ending: Short cutscene related to victory type complete with narration and music

Modern strategy ending: Single pop up window with about short paragraph of text

I know there is budget issues, but seriously come one ;D The victories need more ooomph to them. Imagine how boring it was if Master of Orion 1 didn't have coronation cutscene upon victory

• 11Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
The gold standard for me is still the original Shogun: Total War with its epic 3 minute outro video.

Though to be fair Stellaris currently doesn't have specific victory types which makes it a bit trickier to make an appropriate video. But it would definitely be neat to have something more than a pop-up.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I think a little video in some of the biggest events would be good.

Thunderous applause for becoming the galactic emperor
The construction of machines as you synth ascend
The bubbling of clone vats for bio
Breaking through the shroud
etc

• 19Like
Reactions:
Alpha Centauri remains unmatched in making you completely immersed in the game. Every tech you research has a flavour text narrated by one of the factions' leaders. Every special project completed has a video with again a faction's leader. Plus, there were the interlude screens narrating the interactions with the aliens.
Stellaris is the closest game I've played with that feel, but videos would be awesome.

• 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Also I’d like a timelapse showing the history of the galaxy during the game.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Alpha Centauri remains unmatched in making you completely immersed in the game. Every tech you research has a flavour text narrated by one of the factions' leaders. Every special project completed has a video with again a faction's leader. Plus, there were the interlude screens narrating the interactions with the aliens.
Stellaris is the closest game I've played with that feel, but videos would be awesome.

True, but videos work better in games with specific lore, such as Alpha Centauri and the much underappreciated Deadlock. I guess it would be possible in Stellaris, but they'd have to be dynamic and adapt to the actual species involved and events of the game. It doesn't seem entirely impossible though, considering games like Wildermyth and Dwarf Fortress have already demonstrated that there can be amazing emergent storytelling even if the entire world is random or player-determined.

Crap, now I really want something like Crusader Kings' chronicle for Stellaris - in not-as-bad, of course.

Old school strategy ending: Short cutscene related to victory type complete with narration and music

Modern strategy ending: Single pop up window with about short paragraph of text

I know there is budget issues, but seriously come one ;D The victories need more ooomph to them. Imagine how boring it was if Master of Orion 1 didn't have coronation cutscene upon victory
especially true for the nemesis endgame

its just like...

pop, end screen, close the game

ok

Reactions:
I'm honestly bit surprised that there are no modern strategy games with fancy effects for oomphs, not in big budget companies nor indies :'D I guess its either because in modern days they aren't "expected" anymore or budget increase is THAT big?

I'm honestly bit surprised that there are no modern strategy games with fancy effects for oomphs, not in big budget companies nor indies :'D I guess its either because in modern days they aren't "expected" anymore or budget increase is THAT big?

I found this three part video series pretty informative in that regard:

• 1Like
Reactions:
Some of those videos exist.

They're on YouTube called "Trailers"

edit: For the disagreement:
I don't mean it as "it is already there, go to YouTube" but as "They already make those videos, and for some unfathomable reason don't put them into the game".

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I think a little video in some of the biggest events would be good.

Thunderous applause for becoming the galactic emperor
The construction of machines as you synth ascend
The bubbling of clone vats for bio
Breaking through the shroud
etc
That would certainly help, if various clips were shown in order based on your empire's major accomplishments. I'd consider things like complete destruction of other empires, and megastructure completions to add to the list.

Really though, we do need clips for various victories...and to have various victories at all. It's a step in the right direction to have an option to nuke the whole galaxy rather than wait for the end date, but I really think there should be specific victory options to toggle on/off from the game start menu, such as:
  1. Crisis Defeat (on by default; game ends when the crisis is defeated, and those who do a lot to the crisis or kill it receive much higher scores than usual for doing so)
  2. Galactic Unification (off by default; game ends when all empires are part of the same federation and not facing any enemy force, and the president gains bonus score on game end)
  3. Tech Tree Completion (off by default; any non-FE/AE that has only repeatables left immediately wins)
Essentially, with all three checked, there'd be five ways to win the game, but of course, Tech Tree Completion would almost always come first (hence why it'd be a bad one to rely on...it'd mainly be for short games where you just don't want to do repeatables and waiting on the Crisis). Having Crisis Defeat and Galactic Unification both on would be interesting in that if you unify everyone fast, you could end the game pre-Crisis, but if you're too slow, then suddenly the Unbidden are forcing you to fight.

Also, these might be possible with modding, since there's a modding thing now to win the game (probably because the Aetherophasic Engine uses it).

Last edited:
The gold standard for me is still the original Shogun: Total War with its epic 3 minute outro video.

Though to be fair Stellaris currently doesn't have specific victory types which makes it a bit trickier to make an appropriate video. But it would definitely be neat to have something more than a pop-up.

Its got the Big Red Shiny Button now, and if that's not the 'I win' condition I don't know what is. :p

Lets not forget the Victory Screen, giving you a narration of your leader and the future of the world after your conquest. I still remember my first Ascendence victory, and the gestalt consciousness that arose from University, with Planet, and Morgan sub minds, even if it was just a localization string.

Reactions: